AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » AN's traffic is at record level (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: AN's traffic is at record level
Sleepy Labeef
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sleepy Labeef   Email Sleepy Labeef         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the personal insults Floyd. Glad to see your true colors shine. I won't bother getting into what I did while I worked for you, my demo reel speaks for itself. And my chip's not nearly as big as your ego.

Like I said in my first post, good luck with everything in the future. I look forward to getting your payment this month [Yes]

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
In Floyd's defense, I gotta tell ya that you're lucky a payment is coming on a regular basis. Lots of people have been screwed over before by studios going belly up and owing them money. That says alot about Floyd's character and honor that he's working to make everything equitable with his crew.

--------------------
 -

Chris Boylan
Member # 3464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Boylan   Email Chris Boylan         Edit/Delete Post 
i hardly think the shared opinions of 8 other people is narrow minded. right now we can all corroborate the same story. how does living the experience make us misinformed, there were 9 of us, it's not like the company's business was a secret.

like kevin i think Floyd is an ok guy. He tried to make a studio despite all the odds against him. I probably wouldn't try anything like that at this stage of the game. when he hired us as employees he inadvertently took responsibility for all of us. for the most part floyd had good intentions, but so did tom hignite and jeffry varab. although firing people because your ego was hurt is one thing, this post isn't about that. Nobody gets up in the morning and says "how can I screw my employees today". unfortunately i dont think that floyd understood just how much responsibility he had. There wasn't actually much artwork contributed by floyd, most of the time he was off doing other things as kevin has already said. Bishop Animation exists now only as Floyd doing freelance, it's not a studio. you can compare work from before and after the studio folded and see for yourself. The most telling of the Floyd's actions during this time can be seen in the performance of his primary responsibility of running the studio, the fruits of which are a folded company, broken promises, and disgruntled unpaid employees. This was his masterpiece in Honesdale. He needs to recognize his own fault in the studios failing, and that his former employees chose the merciful option of converting his debt to loans, over the other option of running him, his family, and credit into the ground. The lack of humility in the face of his failure, and lack of gratitude to the people he screwed, who chose to not do the same to him is the biggest reason the studio no longer exists. If we as employees are at fault, it was in not getting out of there as soon as Floyd missed a check, we believed his promises, and let him run up big tabs because there weren't a lot of other employment options in Honesdale. luckily the remaining employees managed to pin the debt to floyd personally and not to his failing company, now if he misses a payment the hammer is gonna drop hard. everyone, including floyd, should realise that he is paying out of legal obligation and not out of some altruistic sense of honor or justice.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Well at least he's honoring his legal obligation. I know people that won't even do that. This town is full of em.

--------------------
 -

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
ON the disagreements and argumentation in this thread:

Well, the thing is this:

Does the off-topic stuff that popped up in this thread need to be discussed in public?

If it were discussed via email first, could the jabs and stuff be taken care of that way?

Given that the both LaBeef and Bishop know one another, take it off board. And, ditto if personal jabs are going to be made--if possible and "necessary."

And, believe me, I know grumpiness, what it is like to have a beef and how people with pringles cans on their shoulders can try to egg people on. I try to temper myself and not step on toes...but sometimes people seem to be just spoiling for a typing excercise...or to list atrocities in a general discussion thread, for no good reason.

So it goes...

But, it just doesn't seem like the constant jabbing and viscious zinging*is needed on the board. It just gives the wrong impression to people that that kind of thing is expected or encouraged on this board.
Hence the occasional bits of ugly that pops up every so often.

*if it is all in fun, cool. Then Zing on, Zingers!

Chris Boylan
Member # 3464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Boylan   Email Chris Boylan         Edit/Delete Post 
gergly, i agree with you, unfortunately floyd has insisted on misrepresenting us time and time again and while i myself apologize as well for contributing to the off topic nature of this discussion, corroboration of kevin's story needed to be given. it's one thing when it's 1 on 1 but when you have two people corroborating the same story it lends an aire of credibility to the complaining party.

hopefully this thread can now return to normal and both kevin and myself can get back to work. i've taken enough time away from that in participating today as it is.

congratulations on the record posts!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thank you Chris for the good word there.

Here's a good topic to migrate to:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002740;p=1#000000

--------------------
 -

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, what are you talking about? You were fired from the company because of a combination of you blowing up at me over a model tweak (so it would look like the concept art that was approved by the client), and constant yelling arguments with a staff member who was with the company a lot longer than you. Hopefully you've learned how to play well with others and will continue in the field. You're a talented guy. Firing people (I had to fire two people) and laying off a crew were the hardest things I had to do during the Pennsylvania version of the company. I wouldn't wish having to do that on anyone.

That was last year. Bishop Animation is alive and well (and bigger than just me). After moving to San Diego, we're actually busier than we were. So busy, in fact, that I haven't really updated our site recently, thus a lot of the older work on there. Granted, we're not currently all set up in one location as we were before. The headaches associated with having a staff to worry about was too much, as this thread has become a testament to.

Thanks for chiming in though.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, the thread is SUPPOSED to be about the traffic level at AN.

I'll be sure to plug the Animation Nation traffic level on the blog over at Channel Frederator.

Gergley, I'll be taking your advice, but feel the need to defend myself when needed. Kevin did email me directly, only to point me to his post here. Everyone who worked for me has my contact information. Don't think that the only way they can reach me is on a public forum. That is not the case.

Charles, thanks for the vote of confidence. It's a lot harder to put up with all of this than people may realize, but I've got it under control. I'll be renewing my subscription to the site this week, once I update my PayPal info. It's been forever since I've used it, so I have to make sure it's all current.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Chris Boylan
Member # 3464

no hard feelings floyd, i am sorry i called you a tool back in the day, I was actually talking about the first time you fired me over looking for work after not getting paid. At the point you fired me for the second time, having been fired once already and having 2 other job offers lined up, there was no love loss for me and i was definitely not in the mood to put up with the mess at the studio anymore. having the door hit me in the butt on the way out was the best thing you ever did for me.

i agree forums aren't a place for dirty laundry. but we former employees are misrepresented everytime floyd tells his slanted story of things in public forums such as this. unfortunately i had to defend myself and friends in this instance.(my apologies again charles)

with so much work coming in I hope my friends can expect on time payments this month

i look forward to your website update

bigshot
Member # 1024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigshot   Email bigshot         Edit/Delete Post 
Animation Nation is a great forum for talking about the art of animation, discussing trends in the industry, and offering tips to people just starting out. It's a lousy place for axe grinding. Dealing with personal or business disputes on internet chat boards isn't professional behavior in my book. It just isn't the place for that.

In my opinion, the topic shouldn't have been raised in the first place, and it shouldn't have been allowed to continue once it was raised. This is precisely the sort of thing that alienates people and makes Animation Nation weaker.

See ya
Steve

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just relieved that I'm not the only one who remembers Sleepy LaBeef, a rock'n'roll rassler whose name I first encountered in the pages of CREEM magazine over three decades ago. "Sleepy LaBeef" makes me laugh every time I think of his name.

Aloha,

Scott!

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

20 days in a row.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Get over it Steve.

Floyd, thanks for renewing. You're all set for a year.

You guys were great! Floyd, Kevin, Chris, what can I say. That was terrific and I mean it. You slugged it out and you're all still on your feet! Thanks for making more AN history.

That's the kind of thing that makes the experience here oustanding. You guys gave it out and took it like men. Life goes on, brothers and some day you'll look back at what you went through and it won't be so bad. Well, maybe it will but you'll be surprised how time can tint the looking glass.

Next time gents you'll know what to look for, what to avoid, you'll see mistakes coming and fix them before they happen. You learned from it and we learned from it too.

Handled with surpising dignity on all sides I think, all things considered. Thanks for the professionalism of your exchange. I wish all parties involved good luck for the future.

--------------------
 -

bigshot
Member # 1024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigshot   Email bigshot         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, not to worry. Drama and catfights over stuff that's none of anyone's business don't bother me. It's kind of like the ongoing saga of the guy who hollers at his wife in the next apartment, except it doesn't keep me awake at night. I actually kind of enjoy watching the manic merry go round.

See ya
Steve

Thunder Man
IE # 106
Member # 2462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thunder Man   Email Thunder Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Charles, for this inspiring community.

I've seen the site go through the discussions, and
everything else, but through it all you've managed
to rise above the fray, and keep everything pointed upwards.

That the foul may denigrate and degrade? Let them.
The refuse they may spew shows them for what they are.
Spirited discussion and discourse have and will always be
greater than the coward's rant or the venting of the crude and witless. [funny]

Other sites? Yes, but none, and I mean "none" such as this.

This was borne and crafted out of your hands and mind, Charles.

I do thank you, and look forwards to the future here. [bow]

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Thunder Man for your very considerate sentiment. I value it very much. Thanks again.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
It happened again! Not only did we make it to day 21, a full three consecutive weeks above our previous all time high, but the new all time high we established on August 19 has been shattered in both unique visitors for a day and hits in a day.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Guys, I don't want to run this into the ground but we did so much traffic today it's nuts. We broke the record for unique visitors set yesterday by 65%. The hits we got were identicle in increase from the day before. We're at 7 times the previous record set on the day that Disney and Pixar announced their merger.

My impression is that in addition to the large industry centric traffic we get, the content on AN is popular with the World Wide Web and is getting picked up from big sources.

Okay then, well, as I said before, I don't know how long this will last or where it will settle, whether it's a temporary anomoly or a sign of what we can expect in the future, but it certainly is nice to experience this. Lots of websites will never see this kind of activity, I'm glad we have a chance to enjoy it.

--------------------
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats again Charles.

Only you and your webmaster knows from whence this new traffic is coming from. If it's from high end websites you can drop them an email and thank them.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Unless the stats you are referring to are more specific then it does bear mentioning that Unique Visitors can be Repeat Visitors.

For instance, a person checks out a site at ten in the morning. Then, later in the afternoon if they check out the site again... both visits are considered Unique.

If they surf the site, checking out multiple pages within an hour's time, then those are Hits, which occur within a Session by a Unique visitor(s).

Now, granted, I'm sure your webhost's stats and the BB stats might differ and provide more specific info, but repeat visitors can account for traffic increases. I would think this is especially true of a message board where the information on it can change multiple times in a day.
And, I won't even try to explain how dynamic ip assignment for broadband surfers can change every half-hour...that's too much for me to try and explain. But, that too could affect how the Unique visitors may appear like more than the actual number. The best way to distinguish that is the length of the visits. And, even then it is a crapshoot.

Plus, the summer is winding down. Which fortunately is coinciding with an increase in people posting on the board and that is metric which everyone--including lurkers-- can see.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

To clarify, GregB, what I typed above wasn't directed at you. It was to Charles. So, if you read it prior to me posting this, don't take it the wrong way.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Nope, these are absolutely unique. Not repeat. A big reason why I stick with this server is because of the accuracy of their stats. With hits, kilobytes transferred and other indicators such as a page view counter associated with the board's technology, there's no question as to the nature of the activity. I'm confident in projecting that the unique traffic we did on September 6, 2007 was greater than AWN and Cartoonbrew combined.

Might as well enjoy the success we're experiencing while it lasts.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Traffic has come down to Earth once again but still above the old mark. That makes it 25 straight days.

--------------------
 -

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
Has this been asked: where was all of the traffic coming to? Which thread(s) generated so much interest?
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
man i just discovered this thread. i don't know how i missed it. great stuff.

this is what its all about. its about employees, and in this case a whole bunch of them, who had a very different view of what happened at a studio. their story was not being told, and when their opinion was asked for, they gave it. unfortunately it pulled a thread off-topic and thats the only down-side to this whole discussion which i think is completely negligible.

if the people who work in the studios, the ones who make the gears go 'round everyday in the trenches, don't have a voice here, then AN IS NOT doing its job i say.

charles, congrats on the traffic, duder. [thumbsup]

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Thanks Ganklin.

We're at 27 consecutive days above the old one day record when the Disney Pixar merger was announced. We had a gigantic one day surge, or better yet intense spike in traffic last week. We had in one 24 hour period about as many unique visitors as we'd normally get in a month. What caused this, I don't know. It looks like some site with profound traffic found something interesting here and linked to it. We've settled in at about 50% to double the old record, which is about where we'd normally be since August 16.

Traffic had increased in activity since last April 1 and really hasn't stopped growing. But since August 16 it's gone up to another level, as well it should.

AN has terrific content. Our members make a terrific community, and people see these forums as the voice of the industry. AN has lead the discussion, lead reform, lead community development, lead the charge, all the while building thousands of different subjects of interest. We have lots of lurkers, we get lots of traffic from Google searches, traffic from all sorts of blogs linking to content, but ironically very little from animation related sites. We don't get much help from many animation sites and communities. Some of the more popular blogs have purposely kept a link to AN off of their sites. So it's particularly satisfying to see this kind of leap in activity.

Consider these topics just within the past week.

Our own Tyree Dillihay appearing on CNN. http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012599

The unveiling of Antoine Christopher's pastel masterpiece with Michael Jordan's signature. http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002097

Incredible still shots of tanks firing missiles. http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=002744

Plus all the other great topics going on at any given time.

AN is successful because it's a great forum with an exceptional community. Some in the industry are in denial about AN and have been for a long time, trivializing the impact and influence it's had in animation, but there's no denying the success of the site when it comes to its popularity within the industry and even beyond.

Glory may be fleeting, web traffic may ebb and flow, but history lasts forever.

Thanks again to all the members of AnimationNation.

--------------------
 -

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to search for what our first post ever was on the forum? I joined back in 2003, and I can't seem to find my first post archived anywhere.

It would be interesting to see what everyone's very first post was. It would be interesting to see what people were talking about when they first got in here, compared to what their interests are now.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

The board's technology saves up to the last 50 posts on any member for public reference. Administration can go back 200 posts per member. Beyond that there's nothing that can be done other than taking a trip back in time and diving into a forum going to the date around when you first registered, then go topic by topic.

--------------------
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
www.internetarchive.org has some early AN pages and posts still available.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

I registered on May 19, 2003. I tried digging through the Way Back machine, but couldn't find my first post.

I just thought it would be a neat thing to see who posted what as their first comment ever on the boards.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012