AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » "Read a Book" from BET animation (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: "Read a Book" from BET animation
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the animated video "Read a Book" on BET?

If so, what do you think?

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it Tuesday evening on an iPhone by someone from BET who's enrolled at my school. Tyree Dillihay, an Academy alum, is the designer from when he was at Six Point Harness. That's Tyree on the right from last May.

-

--------------------
 -

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o Bbaalablbblblbll!

I guess it's good medicine for it demographic....

If this is the old way the target market will heed the message.

As for the rest of us, it wayy too much!

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
BET was playing this at ComicCon all weekend, and damned if it didn't get a crowd.
tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly School House Rocks is it..

I don't know if I'm just getting old or what, but is this suppose to be serious, funny, parody, offensive, or what?

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i think it has really nice design and the animation is snappy and well done.

personally, i think its offensive. i think it does have a good message, but they way it chooses to say it is strange. i liked alot of the images especially with a pile of books being shoved into someone's mouth. it was clever and funny and did the video justice.

however, aside from all the eff bombs being dropped, i have a real problem with the "n" word. i think its strange that it carries (rightly so) such a heavy stigma, but it is used so freely in music and speech. it creates a double standard and does nothing to heal rifts between people.

i think it is trying to send a positive message and i do think its heart is in the right place.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was very well done. The artist uses the same words found in other popular music, he's not adding anything new here, just changing the message of the song. He has probably taken a lot of heat for this project.

The situation reminds me of the Bill Cosby situation a few years ago.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Law
IE # 112
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Law   Author's Homepage   Email Law         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no they didn't!

Is this a joke?
Unbelievable and appalling are my thoughts.

Humor done in poor taste at best. And at worst a perfect example of how dysfunctional communication has become to 'reach out to them'. Either way it's a waste of animation talent and server space IMHO. Who within the targeted demographic will actually hear this kind of message? [Confused]

Yeah, uh, read a book, man... [thumbsup]

--------------------
www.lawrencejackson.com

amanofan
IE # 191
Member # 369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amanofan   Email amanofan         Edit/Delete Post 
i like the designs a lot.

i guess when trying to drive a message home you cant be too subtle.

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
That is belly larf out loud funny. Looks good, too. Do they bleep the "moe foggers" for broadcast?
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
You have got to be kidding me.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 8 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Scary isn't it?
What's even more frightening is short's target audience. Are undulating posteriors and harsh language messages the only way to speak to that class? What a sad state that particular class of the Black community is in if the only way to communicate with it is to teach through such rudimentary functions like sex and violence.
I'm happy my family raised me well enough so that people would never confuse me with a --jeez, I can't even think of a NAME for the group! Also, the orator's comment on "getting Black" is offensive. It mars the reputation of Blacks who's lifestyle and background doesn't even come close to reflecting the gangster rap community.

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm an old guy who's worked on everything from "Sesame Street" to "Soul Train," but I feel a need to ask BET what the hell are they thinking?

Nice effort, but take this back to the drawing board, because it needs rethinking.

If you don't know what's wrong with this video - - then all I can say is, I feel sorry for you.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you Soleil and Mr. Fun.

This toon, although brilliantly executed is a step lower than knuckledragger.

It reminds me of the 1980's and early 90's when minority companies that were getting big federal funding were actually run by white owners using the minorities as a front.

Also when black movies were written and owned by whites but presented as if black created and owned.

It still doesn't amaze me the amount of racism in the entertainment industry. Actually racism doesn't surprise me anymore. These years being here in Hollywood I get to see a different side of things than from afar. Here in Hollywood you've got people who are so stupid they think you don't know when they're being racist. Then after you've put a foot up their butt they act surprised.

If I had a dime for every racist remark made via emails and PMs about people in animation, comics, I'd be rich.

This video is a testament that each race has it's wolves in the fold who will stoop to new lows to capitalize on their own exploitation.

It's that 'Pocahantas Syndrome'.

--------------------

Kion
IE # 130
Member # 700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kion   Author's Homepage   Email Kion         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr fun I understand what you are saying but I disagree ,this video falls right in line with type of music programming thats on bet, if they pulled any punches, it would come as corny. I guess you could say they were keeping it real. Tyree is good friend of mine, we talked about it, it wasn't just for comedy.

--------------------
www.naughtydog.com

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

quote:
This video is a testament that each race has it's wolves in the fold who will stoop to new lows to capitalize on their own exploitation.
I think you're missing the point. The music comes from Bomani "D'Mite" Ahmer and he seems as serious as you can get. HERE is an interview he did with Fox 5 in New York.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Okay Floyd, I'll simmer down a taste because I too protest hard and to the point. If this was a protest piece, then I can see where it's coming from.

If not, it's just another form of exploitation and degredation.

--------------------

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
As I work in Hollywood these days.
I like the way it makes fun of the lifestyle some idiots are livin' that I have to trudge past everyday.
Gangsta Culture should just generally be replaced with something that is not ultimately self destructive.

Yes, we have come to this.

The video could deal with less rump shakin', but it is what it is. It is not at all titillating, In fact it's kinda gross.

A+

2 Big Fat Honkey Thumbs Up.

[Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
this will just get laughs from the community it is aiming at. If they really had wanted to go this route they should have had a 'book fairy' zap each of them in mid curse so that their language cleaned up - something like "Read a book Nig..Brutha, Read a book Brutha" and "Read a Mutha... Loving book". A cool solution and helps with the message they are trying to get across.

I have more issues especially with the personal hygeine message, but I don't need to preach too much.

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Read a book Nig..Brutha, Read a book Brutha" and "Read a Mutha... Loving book"
That's how UP WITH EVERYTHING would sing it.
Dennis Woodyard
IE # 81
Member # 2314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Woodyard   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Woodyard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the core message is "Right On" (sorry I'm an child of the '70's). But the style of the delivery just confuses the issue. Okay, it satire, but it hard to expect someone to get the message you care for their well-being and social development when your screaming at them and insulting them, big time. (Try telling your kids you love them by shouting at them, and see how it works) Sometimes a whispered word of encouragement is better than a bullhorn blast.

That animation style reminded me of the cartoon band Gorillez (sp?), but more uneven in quality. But, really, I have no desire to view it again. (That has to say something, about)

On a side note, I personally, have had enough of the "n-word". I'm old enough (57 yrs, next month) to have been "Negro", "Colored", "Black American", "African-American","Afro-American", Bro", "Brother Man", "Home-Boy", "One of...Them", "Darkie", "You people", "F.B.I." (Fat, black, and Impossible), "Shine", and a dozen other labels too rude to pass on here. But, a friend in art school, during civil rights troubles of the '70's (who happen to be a white girl) give me an insight that I can never repay her for, she said: "I don't think of you as Black, just a great human being". (Thank you, Liz R., where ever you are) I hold those words dear, and try to live up to them every day and teach my kids to be good human beings, because that's all we really are.

Maybe BET should run Alex Haley "Roots" mini-series for a week, instead of this short.

--------------------
 -
The Gods that smiled when you were born are Laughing now - My Favorite Fortune Cookie Saying

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Dennis Woodyard, that was the grown-up response.

You've been around the block enough to have seen it all. I started pro young at 18/19 years old. I saw levels of racism in the media that just astounded me.

I remember it was when even Jews and Italians weren't welcome! So Blacks and Hispanics didn't even get a foot in the door. I saw reverse racism too. In journalism I saw Blacks vehemently hyper critical of other Blacks. Just outright vicious tactics and we couldn't believe it. Growing up round the area that gave so much during WWII the folks there didn't trust Germans, Japanese, Italians, Jews one iota. It wasn't vicious however, just dislike.

It wasn't til I got into comics that I saw Blacks go after other Blacks in such a horrid underhanded fashion it made the journalism experience look tame. I had it all piled on me during the late 80's at the same time of the big race fights in NY City and the Tawana Brawley Case. Couldn't walk in any direction without insidious racial hatred.

The change to gangster rap and the gains in civil rights movement turned inside out in some instances just shocks me. It makes money so it gets duplicated. That's the American Way.

I didn't grow up in LA but have tons of cousins who did. Like the East Coast we grew up during a time when murdering black people was still sanctioned well up into the late 80's. As soon as Blacks started shooting back it diminished.

This video, being harshly critical has succeeded in getting attention, whether it succeeds in it's message is unclear.

I won't paint a rosie picture about race relations. We hope people can bypass their training in hatred but that training goes deep and is constantly being reinforced by the cowardly. We're competitive creatures and will use any identifiable differences to justify attacks. If it wasn't skin color, it would be height or hair or eye color. If not those it would be fat vs thin, tall vs short.

All I can say is when it comes to people, trust by deed not by proclomation.

--------------------

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
Folks is Folks.

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Okay I saw the live concert video of this song. I also asked the younger generation amongst family and friends and they all knew of the animated version.

From their perspective it was universal, that the animated video and song were no different than the stuff they see on tv or at school everyday. The white, black, brown, yellow kids all referred to one another as 'N' all the time they say. A shock to me because growing up you ran a good chance of losing your teeth saying that word and from teens to now you run a good chance of a bullet in your butt for saying that word. Guess the younger generation just doesn't find the fury in the word.

So given the generation gap here, and I mean gap, it's the way they talk to one another. All the kids are imitating the gangsta rappers like we used to imitate the movie gangsters and the wild west gunslingers. We just love the tough-guy, the criminal. (oops look at my avatar!).

See? It's generational. The tough-guy, the criminal gets the attention. To get through to him you have to talk to him that way.

Protest through animation. Apparently in this case it worked in regard to attention getting.

Maybe the real ire is the lack of black owned and produced animation on the market and then the only one that emerges is this one to reach popularity. Mayhaps a look into what's being produced and their stumbling blocks, if any, and how to resolve things.

Maybe Bill Cosby can team up with the groups that made this video and come up with something.

That could be a good thing or a bad thing.

--------------------

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Bill Cosby, eh? I wouldn't hold my breath. I've had the opportunity to work for Mr.C. in years past, and unfortunately, I wasn't impressed.

My wife says I'm not on board with this stuff because I'm old. She says we have to find a way to reach the kids.

I think the problem is larger than that. Ever go into someone's home and see the big screen television filling the wall? What else do you notice? Not a darn book in sight. Oh! Perhaps the books are in the library down the hall. Yeah, right.

How can we expect the kids to embrace reading when so many dim witted parents don't read? These kids grow up thinking reading to be a chore -- not a delight. It's a mindset that must change.

Finally, remember the Rodney King riot in Los Angeles a few years ago. The most telling thing about that riot was the book store in the black community that was left untouched. Every other store around was trashed, and the inventory stolen. However, the book store lost not a single book.

That tells it all.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Well I'll tell ya Mr. Fun, I wouldn't have believed the racism I've encountered here in Los Angeles but now I'm a believer.

New York can be horrific as the cops and mobsters ruled and people of color suffered unspeakable fates at the hands of the authorities and underworld. I can't think of a day after I turned 13 years old and criminals began to move into our area that I didn't make sure I had bail money, bullets, and a place to dump a body. I knew I had a high probability of having to kill several people EVERY day because of the onslaught of racists, junkies and criminals.

Now having seen Los Angeles in action and being well prepared with the proper army of lawyers and law enforcement associates I've had to put down one sinister racist act after another and lemme tell you, the only reason they haven't hit the news is because it would harm the honorable officers who are trying to make a difference.

From what I've learned interviewing people in Los Angeles, people of ALL races, it's been common practice to set people up for arrest, seizure of property, brutality etc. Drug lords and entertainment moguls and gangsters just screwing people over left and right. The extent of this fiendish behavior knows no bounds.

Lucky that I grew up around prosecutors and fought criminals along side them. Rudy Giuliani included lemme tell you. I know the real deal and here in California you have a different class of monster. You have this elitist, snobbish, pseudo socialite attitude amongst artists and writers and actors. People who would be considered lower class back in the East by the old American families but they come out here and "can't be seen with such and such" or "My agent's third cousin twice removed knows producer/director such n such.". It's really abhorrent.

Add to that the outright backstabbing, underhanded behavior I've seen it's a wonder the city is still standing. It's like evil behavior is condoned and supported! The transformations are like something from a horror movie! I have so many actors in my neighborhood. Many I've befriended. Some were nowhere when I met them. Now that they're on the screen they're as uppity as the upper crust of uptown bread. Don't worry, when they fall the distance is just as far.

As for the Blacks in Los Angeles, it's a wonder to me they haven't burned the entire state down considering the history of law enforcement and gangs and mobsters here. The files at the FBI under FOIA are so immense it would take years just to read what came out in the 1960's alone.

No wonder you have gangs here because there's no where else to turn to for protection.

I just read a statistic regarding murder in the U.S. that half of all murders are blacks. Although they only make up 13% of the population. They're the only group whose percentage of the population hasn't grown in decades. They're constatly under attack from without and within and haven't the advantage of other groups who have ties to foreign lands and governments. Blacks and Native Americans are on their own against sinister forces.

So now we have a subculture that is imitated by the general culture where street cred is more important. Murder accepted. Stealing, hate, racism condoned and parents want to complain?

I thought I'd never have to admit it but we lost that war. We're now a country of criminals and we love it.

As for The Cos' he's always seemed successful in animation. I forget the tv special I think was on NBC before his Fat Albert show. The animation wasn't polished but it was funny. He's had an animation project every decade since the late 60's?

Anyway, this Read a Book video is a testament to how low things have gotten and how the only way to combat it.

I wonder what Martin Luther King Jr. or Malcom X would say?

--------------------

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 9 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Feh, I shudder to think what my hero, W.E.B. Dubois, would say!

I had many opportunities growing up. My mom was well connected in the school district, my teachers liked me and therefore pointed me toward all of the special social programs that were available at the time.
At the time…
Part of the reason for dissent is the lack of funding for the public schools system that occurred in the late 80’s, which is just about the time the gangster rap demographic took from. If a kid had a non-desirable family life, they could find refuge at school. Unfortunately, circa 1987-1990 the public support of the school systems diminished and arts and sports omitted from public schools. I was lucky, I graduated from my arts magnate in 1990, so I never had to experience a huge hell-hole high school for four damaging years. You could almost say that I went to Hogwarts.
I still think the resources for social programs are still out there, but you have to know someone in order to find them. However, it's sad that a kid has to know how to network and smooze at the age of five just to get a teacher’s attention and a bit of hope on life. This leaves thousands of kids out of the loop who most likely fall victim to the negative stimuli that surrounds them in their desolate neighborhoods where they are discouraged to speak plain standard English. No wonder educational programming has to communicate with them they way the cartoon in question has chosen to do so.

So sad really.

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Soleil, you are again right on target!

The point you made about education just came up again when I asked friends and family about taxes back east.

Mind you, in my hometown a friend of mine, a brilliant portrait artist built a small honeymoon cottage on just shy of 1/4 acre. His taxes are $5k a year on that property and the majority is for school taxes! Mind you an acre in my hometown area now goes for well over $160k. So an acre with a house on it is looking at $20k+ a year in taxes. If you have a mortgage you're screwed!

So I hit the roof and said for that much money, every kid in school should be an Einstein. I joked at my hometown newspaper's message board that if I was paying that much in taxes I would be at the front door of the nearest school with a bullwhip waiting for the first 'F' on a report card and the teacher to face the music.

This country has the resources to produce geniuses en masse but no way. Gotta keep them kids ignorant so you've got more suckers to play off of.

--------------------

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

The educational system in this country is jacked.
If the master plan is to keep the masses ignorant - - it's working.

Those with "street cred" think they're cool and independent. But, they're making money for corporations. They're working for the Man, and don't even know it.

Gobo
Member # 579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gobo   Email Gobo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, maybe it's just me but....

...I thought this was very clever.

It takes all the gangsta stereotypes and turns them on their ear by being just as raunchy as hiphop but with a public service announcement message. Yes, it's taking itself seriously; reading a book is a serious message to get across. And the folks who made this are smart enough to point their finger at lazy, drunk, irresponsible, unwashed, ignorant kids and say "man, straighten up."

Yeah, it's offensive -- that's the joke.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Mr. Fun did you see the "60 Minutes" segment last night about 'snitches'? They asked people in the black communities about telling cops about criminals and even some superstar rappers said they wouldn't communicate with cops if crimes were committed.

That says alot right there.

I noticed Donald Goines name on one of the books. He's a legend for urban novels. If you have the heart you can read them. I was asked back in the '80s to illustrate his books but after a few chapters they were just too gruesome for me.

Anyhow, yes Mr. Fun we're making sure kids stay stupid so they can be better pigeons on the open market. With our technologies a teenager should be able to buy a new house by the time they're 20 with no bs. Can't have that though because that would make them responsible.

Credit, debt, predatory lending all part of the dumbing down of America.

--------------------

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

btw Mr. Fun, Dennis Woodyard, is there an organization of African American animators? I think it would be a wonderful group that could share their experiences and contacts so that quality content can be produced. There's sure enough money out there for capital investment.

--------------------

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 9 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gobo. Yes the video is very good and clever. I'm just shocked that it's target market is so huge that they get their own video which speaks their own language! These guys were outcasts of African American society when I was growing up in the 70’s and 80’s. Now, they have totally taken over the reputation of Black people as a whole!
Furthermore, I am even more upset at myself, because I am a part of that successful group of Blacks who moved out of the Black community and left people behind. I was so busy developing my career and social status that I totally forgot about going back to lecture OR SOMETHING in an inner city public high school to show the groups with potential who would like an alternative to the gangster lifestyle, and that I am living proof that they don't have be a gangster to live happily and well...and most of all to be considered Black.
So much of this is the fault of Black professionals whose population has gone from the Talented 10th in the #0’s to the Talented 70th in the 70’s and 80’s and now right on back to the "Tenth" again in the 21’st century. What I mean by the Talented Tenth is not the amount of money but by the decency in which a Black person conduct his/her life and the kindness shown to others. You don’t have to wealthy to be a nice person.

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Kion
IE # 130
Member # 700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kion   Author's Homepage   Email Kion         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in the 80's early 90's. The difference between now and then, is balance, for every Too Short, Scar Face(ganster rappers) there was Public Enemy, De Le Soul, A Tribe called quest. On tv you had the Cosby Show, Roc etc. Now gangster rap is commercialized and sold like pepsi, there aren't very many choices of what to listen to. I use to think it was the rappers fault, but when your broke and unviversal says make me an album with this type of music and u get a fat check what are you going to do. Damn you clear channel!!! The Cosby show probably wouldn't get picked up now.

I give back when i can, i do career day at a school in gardena when i have the time. the career
days are interesting. Out of all the jobs that are available in LA, a kid gets to see a fire fighter, policeman with dogs(seeing the kids reaction to that was priceless), limo driver etc. I respect these guys a lot for coming out but damn thats what your showing kids thats available to them when they get older. The next career day was much better, they got sports agents, producers, paramedics, attorneys, toy design etc.

With the constant bombardment crappy music, commercialism, buy me, thats on the airwaves today..... Its really sad. i guess somebody has to make money

--------------------
www.naughtydog.com

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColorInAble   Author's Homepage   Email ColorInAble         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read all the replys...
I must watch my languauge...
OK, Here it goes...

This is one of the best videos I have ever seen!!!
Why???
Because it speaks to the ignorant, backwards negros who really need to hear this message!!!

It's sad, that they had to use what Mary Poppins called "A Spoon Full of Sugar", but this medicine needs to go down!!!

I know, to some, to many in fact, the cover that this book is encased in. is an extrememly offensive picture. This is true for those who don't subscribe to "Nig-Norant" culture. It's true for me, and normally I would be offended.

But if someone had gone up to "Brownie" the Arabian Show Horse Official, once he was head of FEMA and said...

"But what if there was no Gas to drive your Escalade from the your plantation in New Orleans, and the storm blew away all your credit cards and ID, so you coudn't rent a Ritz Carlton Hotel room 100 miles from shore, and you have to go back to that slab of concrete which used to be a plantation in New Orleans, instead of going to your Summer Cottage at Hilton Head. Yes, all we are going to let you have is what you have in New Orleans, and Katrina is bearing down on us now!!!"

I think putting it in those terms would have gotten those caviar eating, servant kicking, never even got horse poop on thier shoes though they were the officials who ran the horse association FEMA administrators to understand that not everyone has a car, or the money to spend 2 weeks holled up in a hotel, or a second home to retreat to, to actually do thier jobs!!! One of the reasons they didn't is becasue they expected everyone to live their lifestyle, and just go to that second home while New Orleans was washed away. And no one ever told them in terms they could understand (the terms of the poor and middle class lifestyle with it's lack of resources of back stops) what would happen. And now the world has seen what a laughing stock the concept of aid is to the citizens of the U.S. by thier own country...

It's sad that the "Nig-Norant" need to be told this way, that reading is a great idea, but someone has to, let's just hope they listen...

Maybe if we had a society where when young impoverished African-Americans read a book, they could reap some reward, like getting to go to college, instead of having some delinquent morons execute them gangland style, they would be truly interested in reading a book, and have a real reason to do it!!!

I'll shut up and read somemore comments about this repugnant but potentially socially revitalizing video now...

--------------------
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Um, Color In Able, the kids you mentioned being executed in that Reuter's article WERE college bound.

So much for education getting you 'out' of trouble.

--------------------

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Kion, Soleil,

Like I said earlier, there should be a group of African American animators. Non Profit and you can get through to the kids. I know tons of people who would donate money. I figured by now Mr. Fun or the other successful African American animators would have had a group like this together a long time ago.

Or don't tell me there's so much competition amongst animators of color that they can't stand side by side?

That's the defining moment of this embattled thread. It's not like you guys can't snap one together in a 30 day period. The test is whether the rare percentage of pro animators in the U.S. has the numbers and will to combine into an effective, proactive force to do so. I'm sure one of the thinnest books of all time would be 'Famous Black Animators and Cartoonists', but it would be an entertaining one.

I'm asking this because a client of mine is black but he's from another country. He's wealthy and loves cartoons. He, by himself has amassed black people from all over the world to work together on several projects EXCEPT blacks in the U.S.. Why? I don't know. He didn't set out to do that but he felt it was his obligation to be responsible and not complain about what 'the white man did to this or that'. If he can do it, you guys can do it and get some dialogue going. You 'tell' Disney to contribute since they've been the worst company in regards to promoting blacks in their feature films. HB, WB, Dreamworks and the rest can contribute too. I think there's nowadays a major need for this.

Color In Able, I agree that this video "Read A Book" is brilliant. The point I'm making is how much more humiliation do Blacks need? I'm from a multi-racial family and what this video says about Blacks you will find enough said about every other race and ethnic group. One day a pal of mine from Korea who is a popular actor in Asia had me listen to a Korean radio show where a comedian was saying how 'hard headed' and 'ignorant' Koreans could be. It was so funny to him he was in stitches rolling on the floor. I told him that's the same thing everyone says about their own race or ethnic group and when he realized this he beamed with illumination that everyone has people like that in their race, group, religion.

If you changed the characters to white in this video and used 'redneck' instead of the 'N' word or changed the characters to brown or red or yellow and used equally demeaning words you'ld have everyone in an uproar but the same effect.

--------------------

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColorInAble   Author's Homepage   Email ColorInAble         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Color In Able, the kids you mentioned being executed in that Reuter's article WERE college bound
EXACTLY, and the lesson that this execution taught a lot of younger kids in that neighborhood was "There's no reason to pick up a book, to study, to work at getting out, becasue the *ssholes of this neighborhood will never let you leave, and those who could offer the opportunity (of education jobs, opportuiny, i.e. Government and business) won't do a single thing to make it better!"

Remember all the promises after the last L.A. riots that there would be real supermarkets in the hood of L.A.??? It's 15 years later and unless you count 7-11 as a true supermarket, that promise is unfulfilled!!!

--------------------
 -

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

This is why I stopped using this board... Because I could write a thesis on this (and many other things), and I just don't have the time...

This let's get a whole group of Black animators together and go on a tour evangelizing animation as a career to get out of poverty. I know a whole lot of people here are laughing at that concept. That's part of the problem, animation and cartooning aren't glamorous or financially rewarding, so most kids in the hood could give a crap. Also, much of animation and cartooning doesn't have a quick payoff (how long did you work on that last 5 seconds of animation) and almost any kid would get impatient, so just imagine if you are waiting and you never had anything to begin with.

In Massachusetts, why is the amount of money spent on lottery tickets per capita inversely proportionate to the median income per town (i.e. the richest town spends the least per person on lottery tickets, the poorest town spends the most per person on lottery tickets)? It's because when you are in dire straights, you need that big win even more to get out of the problems you are in. No one in the rich towns plays the lottery for next months fuel oil bill, they can just afford the oil. But it may be the only way a poor person can fill that oil tank next month (in the northeast, they burn oil in the houses to keep warm). Yes, it's almost exactly inverse!

When you live like that, coming out here to be an animator is no answer to your economic woes. I came out here, my peers here in the industry say I've been succeeding, it's going OK for me here. But to come out here and be an animator, I had to take the economic hit for about 3 years, then weather a bad year, for things to go OK now (I'm starting my 7th year out here this month). And I'll take a hit again if the industry goes sour again for a while. That's why so many who are in this business are affluent, because animation isn't really a truly economically secure future, and no matter what your background, if there isn't money when you come out here to start, you better be the next Disney, because the first few years are lean.

So, when you're a kid from the hood, and you are choosing a chancy career that might (I SAID [b]MIGHT[b]) get you out, aren't you going to choose one that has more guarantees? Guarantees of better pay, of more opportunity, and where you actually have a chance, much less feel welcomed? When you look at it like that, the list looks like this pretty quick...
1-Rap Star
2-Basketball star
3-Football star
4-Soul Singer
5-Baseball Star
6-etc...
Till we get to about
20000-Animator

And it's sad, I know a Comp artist (that's animation) who is out here, and is doing fairly well (for an animator), and uses some of the skills he was busted for as a "barrio" graffiti artist when he was a youth, in his compositing today (he's Latino). But I dare you to go to a school and stand up in front of a class and say, "All those who love to graffiti, raise your hands! You could be the next great animators!"

And Soli and the rest, I came out here from Boston, where I spent parts of my time with these youth, as a teacher in Catholic school and as a community centers person who ran a computer lab in an elementary school in one of the many "Projects" in the city of Boston. I've met these kids you think you can turn around just by appearing in their classroom once and saying "Instead of selling crack for a living when you grow up, you could draw comics!" and expect to turn a whole class of misguided youth around to being the next Eagle Scout citizens of America. If you believe that, you are more misguided than they are.

Yes, the talk with them is a start, but not much of one without everything else in place (affluence, opportunity, etc...).

And yes, there are some who will make it out no matter what. But most won't because of the situation around them. The will get gunned down as they are packing their books to go off to college if they make it that far. Just like we can have a virtual retard in the Whitehouse, with a Yale MBA, because when opportunity and advantage are around you, that matters more many times than your competence or ability. And our President, who's the son of a President, and the grandson of a Governor, proves that, and unfortunately, he proves it every single day.

I need to relinquish my username and password, and regain my time and my life, instead of typing. Or maybe I should have gone to that NPR audition back in 1995...

--------------------
 -

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Thanks, ColorInAble.

Well said.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012