AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » The future is heading straight at you...

Author Topic: The future is heading straight at you...
Durrien
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Durrien   Email Durrien         Edit/Delete Post 
article
IP: Logged
EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 12 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the biggest thing since Tradigital™ !
dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
well / the glasses never worked on me anyway....and some of will miss the point completely eh Michel ?

so....it'll fix everything that's wrong with bad films now ?...I think it'll give a whole new angle to the nausea factor in some cases ( throw a little vertigo in with the fart jokes maybe ?? )
I can just see my daughters rushing to the bathroom to "blaaaattt" at another Barbie movie with ultra unusual stiff camera moves and bad timing....not to mention something like the nausea of Final Fantasy...looked great in some places but the camera moves made me feel like I was watching someone else play Quake.

and....exactly how does old 2D fit in there ?

--------------------
http://zoomfrog.blogspot.com/

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
and....exactly how does old 2D fit in there ?

Well, "2D is dead" , don't ya know ? [Wink] Not even Tradigital™ could save it .

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dermot   Author's Homepage   Email dermot         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait for the holographic rooms I guess then eh ?...or how about amazing new " 4D " in a special anti-grav room where you join the film like in a bad Moebius nightmare and have your body parts elongate and separate from your torso ?

actually...maybe I'd buy tickets to that one !

--------------------

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Dermot. I have absolutely no interest in 3-D projection. None whatsoever. Couldn't care less...

--------------------
 -

Durrien
Member # 148

Fashion show: the Diesel Spring/Summer 08 catwalk, where the models are "accompanied" by a host of ghost-like CGI holograms.
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
howa bout bringing Smell-o-vision in the mix. that would save animation. that way one could say, hey this stinks, and then someone else would say, no thats just the smell-o-vision.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So Katzenberg has announced that ALL of Dreamwork's animated features will be in 3D, and he said:
“I personally went and met with the heads of every single studio and told them in advance of our announcement, why we were doing it, and why it’s an opportunity. And I’m encouraging them to do it too."

Encouraging them to make all their CGI animated features in 3D? Isn't that what Disney was already doing to begin with? Or am I missing something here?
They've made two in-house CGI movies (Chicken Little and Robinsons) and both gave the audience a 3D option. Meet the Robinson did O.K. at the box-office, but it did not do as well as "Chicken", which itself fell short of the LOWEST grossing Pixar movie ("A Bug's Life"). It's because Pixar's movies are the innovative ones. It was never about the technology, it was about story, characters and I guess Lasseter just having the Golden Touch, not only himself, but with the people he hired and worked with.
Oh, I forgot. "Disney Digital 3D!" was old fashioned and Dreamwork's new process will actually be something special. They're going to inject the movies right into your mind, I don't know....

But this "make all our CG movies in 3D" is what Disney was doing all along! I just don't get it.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember way back in the early days of the site, when DreamWorks had a TV animation development crew. Mr. Katzenberg's position was that he was waiting to identify trends. That seems to be the way he prefers to operate. As long as the movies are good he can add all the D's he likes. Make good movies. That's the trend to pick up on.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No....smell-o-vision...much better trend, believe me.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

No No No...even better....how about the film is YOU...captured and reflected back at you so YOU'RE the star !?

Oh Yeah....it's called You Tube.....

Well then.....Maybe they can have plot and character options plugged directly to the seats in the theatre while the audience "vote" buttons stall the movie completely....

kind of like the experience of waiting for a creative decision on a Disney sequel hehehehe

--------------------

Durrien
Member # 148

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art." — Tom Stoppard
animator-boy
IE # 54
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animator-boy   Author's Homepage   Email animator-boy         Edit/Delete Post 
So I imagine the home video films will continue to be in the cheapo 2-D.... I don't know...are people really that ga-ga over the 3-D? Seems like seeing films in IMAX has become the new trend....

--------------------
www.raymation.net

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon, the man is just trying to expand the market and broaden the appeal of animated films by offering (hyping) a novel way of experiencing his films. What's with all the hate and sarcasm? Someone has to convince investors and buyers that paying a staff of animators is worth it, and most importantly that there is room to grow. It's a public company now.

Sure, commerce has a lot of ugly facets. But man, talk about looking a gift horse in the yap canyon. What's the average salary over there? Is the concept of a rising tide that lost on so many?

Damn. It's not like he's betting the company on such a relatively easy additional offering. If it works, hey, that's someone's bonus. It may not like seem like it, but we're in the same business generally speaking.

Your trying to sell your work via all the principles you've learned, and he's trying to sell that same work, but by what he's learned. Because for all we learn and master in the trenches, someone always has to brave the battlefield of business and sell it.

What's that saying about a tree forest in the forest? If no one hears it, did it really happen? Katzenberg is trying to make sure it's heard on every corner of the earth. If I had someone of his ambition working on my behalf to make sure my work has the most amount of impact worldwide, you bet your ass I'd be stoked.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

I really don't see hate in these responses. The sarcasm is typical but warranted considering the subject of his announcement. It's about making good movies, not necessarily the gimmicks. Stick to that as your foundation and you can't go wrong.

--------------------
 -

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for good filmmaking. But show business is about gimmicks much more than most people like to let on about. Gimmicks get eyes. At one time, quickly moving sequential photos back-lit and projected across a flat surface before a gathered group of people was a gimmick as well.

Witness the last few day of the Box Office for Transformers. I'd be surprised if any of the movie goers actually went for the good filmmaking or story, but instead I believe, they went for the gimmicky effects. Doesn't mean I like it, or that I think it's right, but one should try and be honest about what makes money with the public. Does the fault of offering gimmicks lie at the feet of a Producer trying get wider attention for his product, or a public which feeds such a mentality with it's habits?

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah the day all movies go "3D" thats the day i stop going to the movies. like a few people on here, the effect just doesn't work for me because of my eyes. all i see are the separate images.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Its a classic model for failure.
my first taste was comics.

Hey with we put gold foil on it or make it
some special edition bla bla bla with rainbow sprinkles on top that would save us all!!!

right. what ever. polished turd, I get it.
thanks for the rubber dog poop.

But really,at least you know what movie not
go to and support.

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm anxious to see what Captain 3D has in store for us at the movies. Jeff K might be trying to blaze trails, but I met Phil McNally back in 2000, and he was preaching the wonders of stereoscopic rendering back then.

If Dreamworks is serious about 3D cinema, then they definitely hired the right guy.

[cheers]

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Captain 3D
IE # 244
Member # 2315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain 3D   Author's Homepage   Email Captain 3D         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha thanks Floyd. I was just debating if I should join in or not.

I am the new stereoscopic supervisor at Dreamworks and was also responsible for the 3D component of Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons. I am a member here because I am/was an animator. What to say about 3D...

Lets look at 3D from two alternate futures

1. 3D (stereoscopic imaging) becomes the mainstream way to tell stories. After initial cynicism which also accompanied every other breakthrough in cinema throughout the years artists and directors discovered new possibilities than were never predicted for the medium which ultimately relegated monoscopic movies to the niche market along side black and white films and other retro styles.

2. 3D movies came and went by 2010. Like previous 3D booms the effect was enjoyed as a gimmick but never established itself as a main stream story telling format of value.

I am as unsure as anyone which will turn out to be the future. But either way...who is responsible for the success or failure of 3D? Is it not the creators of content? Us?

I am sure that there is great potential in stereoscopic space to enhance the story points of any movie e.g. the potential relationship with an on screen character when the character is no longer confined to a distant screen.

Valid issues about 3D get raised but often from a negative point of view as if the current way of movie making is some how the final destination. The old fashioned ways of film making seem outdated while various new (rediscovered) ideas are gimmicky, but the narrow band that the majority of us currently exist in seems complete as it is.

Yes of course great stories make the difference but come on. It is highly unlikely that anyone is going to go out and shoot a black and white, slient film, using only wide shots because the story is good enough already. Think about it for a few seconds if stories were really good enough we would never have evolved from books. Many would argue that movies are a step back from the rich imagination of book reading.

In truth we are a gimmick industry. There is nothing valid in anything we do for story that could not be covered in a book if we believed that story was the end goal. But we dont believe that. We believe that delivering the experience of a story directly through visual and audio stimulation is more rewarding that just reading the printed page.

If anyone is interested about a potential future in our industry then why not sit down and think for a minute about what 3D could do that is currently impossible. You just might be on to a winner.

Cheers...phil

animator-boy
IE # 54
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animator-boy   Author's Homepage   Email animator-boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with more films being released 3-D...I saw Robinsons both times in 3-D and enjoyed it (a few in my party didnt dig the 3-D).

I just don't see theater chains making the change over beyond a couple systems... remember when George Lucas tried to convince theaters to go digital for the prequels (at one point I read that he would only allow digital versions to be shown...which didn't happen). How many theaters went all digital? Most around me have maybe...MAYBE..one theater that has digital projection.

If Shrek 4 is 3-D then theaters with the one 3-D projection system can show it...but what happens if other studios follow DW lead? Right now we have 3 animated films in theaters, if all 3 were in 3-D format...well..then you need that many 3-D theaters per multiplex.

My biggest gripe with Robinsons was that the glasses had that haze effect AND the tint of the glasses made me wonder if I was seeing the true color of the film..perhaps this is/will be improved.

It would be cool to have choices when you go to the movies...normal viewing, 3-D viewing, IMAX viewing...take your pick.

Captain 3D you might be able to answer this or maybe not, for propietary reasons...I worked on The Ant Bully and when it was going through the 3-D process...eyelines needed to be adjusted... ...character placement would be off....scaling cheats that we animators like to do become really obvious because of the depth...many fixes were necessary...the question: has the techology advanced to make those situations non-existent or does an "adjustment" pass still need to happen..

--------------------
www.raymation.net

rocktoonz
Member # 594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocktoonz   Author's Homepage   Email rocktoonz         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this is all just the 1950's all over again. Phillips is due to release a 3D TV sans the glasses next year. Phillips 3d TV

Could this be the preemptive strike by the motion picture industry to stave off high-def 3D TV?

--------------------
www.cheekypress.com

Captain 3D
IE # 244
Member # 2315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain 3D   Author's Homepage   Email Captain 3D         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi animator-boy

Its not the 3D technology that could be changed to fix cheated eyelines but you are correct in that true stereoscopic space will show up those cheats.

The reality is that movie staging needs to work for real more like a live play. If a movie is authored in 3D it will be corrected as part of regular production dailies.

cheers...phil

Jonathan Lyons
IE # 287
Member # 3451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Lyons   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Lyons         Edit/Delete Post 
To Michel Gagne, my former cubicle neighbor at Rich Animation.

If I were you, I would give stereoscopic projection a second look. I can't imagine a better use of the technique than for abstract work such as "Sensology".

I once went to a stereoscopic group meeting at ILM (Arranged by Phil McNally) The presentation was close up 3D photograpy of orchids. Giving the viewer a bugs eye view of the flowers. I was blown away. The still photographs had the impact of fireworks. Each photo brought ooohs and aaaahs from the audience.

I have yet to see a narrative film with that sort of impact. But again, abstract animation could be spectacular.

Striker
IE # 210
Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Email Striker         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't think that JK gets it. Maybe not everyone wants to be right 'IN' the movie. I enjoy watching the movie from outside, watching it happen to someone else while I sit safely and eat my popcorn. I don't want to go on an amusement park ride, I want to relax. Even now when a movie has one of those tracking establishing shots from way up in the air, with the camera spinning and tilting, I find I need to look away or risk getting queezy, let alone being right where the camera is.

I'm not sure. I would be willing to sit through a movie and see how it appeals to me, but I believe regardless of the new technology, 3D is still a gimmick. There's a reason why the original 3D technology really didn't go anywhere, simply because people didn't really want the gimmick, they just wanted the movies.

--------------------
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
- Thomas Dewar

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
To Jeremy - I was shot in the head at the age of twelve and lost my right eye and part of my brain. Can't see 3D, even in real life. [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Jonathan Lyons
IE # 287
Member # 3451

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Jonathan Lyons   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Lyons         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to learn that Michel, I wasn't aware, even though we've met.

I can't believe in my first post here, I try to sell stereoscopic projection to a guy with 1 eye. What are the odds on that?

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

That's what makes Michel Gagne a great and remarkable artist, Jonathan. He can do with one eye what we all wish we could do with two or three.

--------------------
 -

dermot
IE # 193
Member # 1575

sorry to Tobias and others.....I know I'M guilty of sarcasm a lot on these forums.... my "inside voice" talking out loud kind of thing .

I literally can't see the 3D experience either, but that's just a glitch in my own eyesight ( all you folks who want to get a better sense of perspective in your drawings try going one-eye for a while...it really DOES help )

I'd trade a tech gimmick for an amazing writing talent anyday......or a sense of humour !

Would you rather have your creative heros abilities....or be the person to invent a better technology for film ? Ub Iwerks did both and we owe him a lot . It all raises the bar....something I'm in favour of....as long as it doesn't compete with the budget for good content !

--------------------

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

No need to apologize dermot, I think you were just giving your honest assessment. As was I. I've tried to sell S3D tech to my co-workers over the years as a unique and novel way to pitch products only to be met with the same kind of skepticism. Admittedly it's gets under my skin when novel approaches to selling ideas get dismissed out of hand via ready made responses and stereotypes. Just because so many have taken a hack approach with a tech advancement for storytelling doesn't mean it can't be used in more profound or lyrical ways.

What was the rep of 3D before Pixar, or comics before Stan Lee, or film before D.W. Griffith? Art is about the singer, not the song - by and large.

Captain 3D
IE # 244
Member # 2315

quote:
but I believe regardless of the new technology, 3D is still a gimmick. There's a reason why the original 3D technology really didn't go anywhere, simply because people didn't really want the gimmick, they just wanted the movies.

Not true. Until now the technology was flawed. Films were often projected out of sync as the stereo was on two separate pieces of film or out of alignment or in red/cyan anaglyph. Its like saying people don't like sound because it doesn't sync with the action. Thats why everyone got headaches.

I see it the other way that 3D keeps coming back because we are fundamentally spacial seeing beings and this time I think the technology is good enough that it will stay.

Also like I said before our whole industry is a gimmick. If people only wanted stories they would by books not go to the movies. Animation is the biggest gimmick of all. Making things do what they cant do in real life? How novel(ty)

phil

Lidenbrock
Member # 3343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lidenbrock   Email Lidenbrock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's exiting to see how far this techhnology can go, and how long we will wait before it will be possible to watch 3D cinema without glasses.

But when actual holographic cinema becomes possible, then the final major goal in the visual area of cinema has probably been reached.

Gagne Michel
IE # 40
Member # 365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gagne Michel   Author's Homepage   Email Gagne Michel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, No sweat Jonathan. Actually I'm not opposed to working in 3D at all. Check out this cover I did last year for Nickelodeon Magazine:

http://www.gagneint.com/Final%20site/Gallery/commissions/Nickelodeon/Nick.htm

The 3D was done by Ray Zone.

I hear that it works really well. I just can't see it [bawling]

--------------------
 -

Captain 3D
IE # 244
Member # 2315

The director of the Vincent Price 'House of wax' could only see with one eye and that is one of the most famous 3D movies ever made ;-)

phil

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012