AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Samurai Jack feature film from Frederator Films

Author Topic: Samurai Jack feature film from Frederator Films
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lots of you know how much we admire Genndy Tartakovsky. He created Dexter's Laboratory, the first series to come out of our first shorts program, before breathing life into The Powerpuff Girls and Clone Wars. And, of course, creating and directing the semial Samurai Jack. I'd always felt it would make an awesome movie, and thanks to the good graces of the folks at Cartoon Network, who saw clear to letting it into our careful hands, that awesome feature film might have a chance of seeing the light of day.

It'll be written, directed, and creatively overseen by Genndy in glorious, un-PC, 2D.

You can find out more here. You can find out more here!!

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

IP: Logged
EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It'll be written, directed, and creatively overseen by Genndy in glorious, un-PC, 2D
That's great news ! I'm so happy to hear that they will be keeping the unique drawn look of the original series rather than making it a CG or live-action film. Those designs in full-animation will look fantastic .
EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
The coverage in Variety:

Frederator Aims To Animate 2D Genre Films

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Best news I've heard in a long time. Not just Samurai Jack, but The Neverhood by Doug TenNapel. Fred Seibert deserves an award for Most Awesome Dude of the Century.

I'm curious if they're going to be animating these films here or sending them overseas. I don't know a whole lot about these productions.

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
Im curious if Genndy will finally let Jack defeat Aku. I love the show, but feel sorry for Jackeposode after eposode of frustration.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting topic. Thanks for the post & links.

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

MessyMarvin
Member # 2593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MessyMarvin   Email MessyMarvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Samurai Jack was exceptional. Yes, it was utterly Post-Modern in that it was, sometimes to its detriment, religiously referential. But like the some the best Post-Modern works, it referenced the the right things. Plus, it was simply beautiful. Even the animation towards the end kicked it up a notch, but the design and backgrounds always were stunning.

If Genndy heads a Samurai Jack feature toon, count me first in line.

Alex Madrigal
Member # 2331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex Madrigal   Email Alex Madrigal         Edit/Delete Post 
My first post (I think) in a thread with some pretty sweet news!

I'm pretty excited about this, and I hope it gets other folks thinking about feature 2D again.

intergalactic
IE # 195
Member # 1760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for intergalactic   Email intergalactic         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be teasing me Floyd!!!

If this happens I think it could be the coolest transition from tv to feature EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Get Jack back home Genndy!!!!

You've created such an amazing and lovable character, he deserves a final chapter.

When it happens, I'll be there!!

...i [abducted]

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
"un-PC"? does that mean its going to be done sans computers or that it will be un-politiclly correct? i cant imagine any production these days being done non-digitally.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

mbaker
Member # 2012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbaker   Email mbaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not only glad that Samurai Jack is finally getting a movie, but that Genndy will direct it, and keep the show's unique animation style intact in an age when Hollywood wants to turn perfectly good cartoons into live action trainwrecks just so the average movie goer dosen't feel ashamed that he's watching a 'cartoon'.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012