AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » "Surf's Up" is an amazing film (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: "Surf's Up" is an amazing film
devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
What a wonderful film!

Beautiful in every aspect from the story concept to the final execution. I was especially amazed at the water effects/ sand/ penguin fur. This film will definately be in my DVD collection when it is released.

Sadly, I was one of 10 people in the theater (my kids too). Sad considering this film just opened up a couple weeks ago. Poor marketing..? hmmmmmm....

It was nice to see a good film after seeing too many animated stinkers lately. The film writing was great. Felt real and natural (as a documentary would be). The pacing was good. No overly crude and crass content. Very family friendly. No pop culture. (thank you!!!) The voice talent wasn't over the top. And wow....Jeff Bridges was wonderful as "Big Z". No obnoxious characters or idiotic sidekicks (aka donkey, etc) Character design was fabulous.

Overall, it was very cool film. I loved it and so did my family.

Way to go Sony!

-dev

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

IP: Logged
EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 14 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Another thumbs up for Surf's Up ! I saw it tonight and really enjoyed it .

Similar experience to some of the others who have posted here: my family (4 of us) saw it in an almost empty theater. We took along some friends and when they saw the empty theater as we sat down they were saying: "hey, what have you dragged us to ? why is the theater empty ?" , but they ended up liking it , too. Hopefully they'll tell more people. It's sad to think that this excellent movie may be going down at the box office. Everyone who worked on this should feel proud of their great work.

Note to anyone from Sony management who happens to read this : the advertising campaign and the trailers were a turn off for me . I almost didn't go see this , but word of mouth from a few people I know who saw it and liked it and the good reviews on this board persuaded me to give it a chance and I'm so glad I did.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
The animation in this film is extraordinary to say the least. A must have, must see.

You look at this movie and wonder what'll they think of next. Just some outstanding work. A real raise-the-bar effort.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

andim8
IE # 232
Member # 626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for andim8   Email andim8         Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. by far the best cg movie this year so far...so its very disappointing to see the boxoffice numbers. the directors tried an innovative approach, it was truly funny, beautifully animated... one wonders why its doing rather poorly, when the greatly inferior shrek sequel and the robinsons are doing so much more business. maybe its penguin fatigue. too many movies on the market, the campaign... hard to say.
But the team should rightfully be proud of this one.

Bigtoon
IE # 285
Member # 3442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bigtoon   Email Bigtoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I’m going to take the other side on this film. I think it’s neither a good film nor a bad film but just an average film. Sony failed to reach their objective, and consequently this movie will not be successful. The animation, character design, and special effects are superb. But Sony tries to make this film feel like a documentary, and it just can’t sustain our disbelief, because it keeps slipping out of being a doc. and becoming an action adventure film. The film needs the fun action scenes to keep the kids in the theater, but they don’t suit the documentary format. I found the characters trying to speak naturally as if there wasn’t a camera watching them, a bit annoying. Also, the story is not strong enough to get this film up into the big hit range. It never grips us with enough emotion to pull us in and make us choke up or bust out laughing. The story has similarities to Cars (Old guy mentor and cute hip chick love interest; win the race and the girl), and may be a bit more interesting than Cars. Kudos to Sony for an innovative film. In my opinion they should have strengthened the story and ditched the documentary format. I hope it does well at the box office and I hope Sony keeps making animated films. They are a great studio and have a ton of talent working there.
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Bigtoon, I have to agree with you regarding SONY's talent pool. Just astounding artists and craftspeople.

Can't say much for their electronics equipment's and customer's service though! ( you guys would not believe that a new camcorder I bought from SONY has this error and no one at SONY could fix it. Someone on the internet suggested slapping it with your hand and it worked! SONY was charging people like $300 to fix these gizmos and a good shot to the side did wonders ).

Maybe SONY's people management is appreciative of the creative arts and that's why they get such superior product.

If Surf's Up fails at the domestic box office, mind you there's still foreign box office tallies to come, it will be due to several factors not the craftsmanship. Maybe too many funny animal movies or penguin saturation. Maybe too many competitive blockbusters released week after week. Maybe movie goers don't have the money to shell out each week especially a family of four with the high gas prices and all.

All these and more are contributing factors. $50 easy each week for a family of four is $200 a month just for movies. In some parts of the country that's almost a mortgage payment. I don't even wanna consider the costs in foreign countries. Oh wait, that's right, the foreign currencies are kicking the dollar's ass.

Nevermind.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
So this weekend's box office for "Surf's Up" was $9,254,793.00 and it came in 5th place. I really hope word of mouth helps this film get the numbers up.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine like a lot of people, within the last year I went for broke and bought a huge-ass big screen HDTV T.V. I've been to the movies once since I got it. I'm not saying that's why the film isn't holding up to expectations in terms of B.O., but man, I didn't even go see 300.

The minute I see a good film in theatrical release I put it in my Netflix Q, and wait for the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. The paranoia of the studios worrying about competition from T.V. in the 50's has now come into full fruition, at least in terms of my own habits when I examine them. But then again, I don't have children.

Maybe they should have tried to trump Shreck 3, and gone for an earlier date? I imagine many Families only have so much movie night out money to go around within a certain time frame.

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember in the 70's and early 80's when a kid used to be able to go to the movies BY THEMSELVES?!

Ugh! I always hated it when my mom took me to the movies. We were LATE every single time!

I had to wait until Bambi and Aristocats came out on video years and years later, before I was able to see the first acts of either of the two films.

A little autonomy( and safety) for kids would probably help Surf's Up's box office considerably.

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys make some good points. Big screen TVs. Lot's of product on the market.

Truth is, there's so much stuff out there nowadays who has the time? Heck, I'm often too busy working on some project to have the time to make it out to the multiplex.

Add to that, I've got a boatload of DVDs I haven't even gotten around to watching. My new Apple TV is cool though. Now I can catch up on all those episodes of "House" I missed.

devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
man, I'm notorious for buying the box set, or the full season set, loaded with all the juicy "extra's"....

I just never have time to watch them.
Dang!

-dev

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012