AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » "Surf's Up" is an amazing film (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: "Surf's Up" is an amazing film
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I saw the movie tonight, and I was really impressed with it. I'll be going back at least once this weekend.

Good job, everyone who worked on it.

[cheers]

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

IP: Logged
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait! I'll be going later though. Lots of work this weekend. It really looks good!

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Vaughan
IE # 145
Member # 2968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vaughan   Email Vaughan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back. It was a great film. I really, really liked it [Smile]
Mitch
Member # 3424

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mitch   Email Mitch         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome movie. Saw it at the screening in Beverly Hills. They hit another holy grail in water effects simulation. The way the story is told is very original. In my opinion broke lots of the CG talking animal cliches which i was getting tired of.
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm going Sunday. Can't wait to see it.

--------------------

Blinkatron
IE # 225
Member # 580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blinkatron   Email Blinkatron         Edit/Delete Post 
It was great! I've become tired of animated features lately but this was a breath of fresh air - a true original for animation. I hope Surf's Up is still remembered come awards season as it deserves recognition.

Congrats to the guys at Sony.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Oh I can't stand it! It's like 'Suspense Day' or something.

The final "The Sopranos" episode and "Surf's Up" at the theatres. I have a whole day and night of viewing pleasure ahead.

--------------------

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVEd it!
It was so inspiring, I'm going to go fly my kite at the beach right now!
Thanks Matt and Cody et al.
What a great master and disciple story! Those stories are always great when the master --doesn't die!
Whoo HOHOO! Take THAT heroe's journey analogy!

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of SURF'S UP! The story was solid and relatable, the characters were very well-designed, the voices were well-chosen, the music was nicely surprising, the acting was outstanding, the water effects were mind-blowing and the variety of camera-shots was revolutionary for a CG movie.

Lotsa laughs -- being a dad, the surfboard-carving sequence had me laughing uncontrollably -- but very inspiring, too.

I'd write more, but I don't want to give away anything...JUST GO SEE SURF'S UP!!!

Aloha,

Scott!

P.S.: With the great -- and recognizable -- voice cast of SURF'S UP, ain't it refreshing that Sony didn't exploit the cast's names in their ad campaign? -- SS!

P.P.S.: Any good SURF'S UP toys out there? -- SS!

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of fathers: there was a dad sitting next to me in the theater who had a smile on his face throughout the entire flick.
That was so awesome.
And I second the comment about the outstanding acting. I only saw ONE overused sighing style that reflected the kind of acting you see in a second year student film--but I forgive the animator.

Let's hope this film is a sleeper hit folks!

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

amanofan
IE # 191
Member # 369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amanofan   Email amanofan         Edit/Delete Post 
just got back! such a great film. kudos to everyone who worked on it.
bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 5 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay--I have yet to see it...

But everyone loves it here on AN,plus it's got great reviews--including 74% fresh on R.T.

Sooooo.. what the hell is up with the lousy opening weekend B.O.??

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=surfsup.htm

18 million?

Most on the AN survey predicted twice that!

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

That means we all have to promote it to our friends!

Word of mouth yo!

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
$5,732,614 <- Iron Giant's opening weekend.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Hopefully the word gets out and this film gets the audience it deserves. I've been doing all I can to get the word out.

For those still on the fence about seeing this film, have a look at this behind the scenes video.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

amanofan
IE # 191
Member # 369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amanofan   Email amanofan         Edit/Delete Post 
just got back! such a great film. kudos to everyone who worked on it.
droosan
IE # 4
Member # 2225

Icon 14 posted      Profile for droosan           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Surf's Up very much! The characters are a lot of fun, with great performances from both the voices and the animation. The 'mockumentary' approach was very novel, and often enhanced the humor beyond what might have been achieved with a more 'traditional' approach.

Big congrats to everyone at Sony! [cheers]

cpdavison
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cpdavison   Email cpdavison         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott!

Burger King is giving out SURF'S UP toys with their Kids' Club Meals.

Craig D.

VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the promotion is at McDonald's and there are 8 action figures.
My wife and ten year old daughter REALLY loved the movie. Their favorite animated film in a quite a while.
[thumbsup]

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Action figures and fast food! Get em' now!

I was smart to get the original Animaniac stuff from the Happy Meals.

I can't wait to see this movie.

Bronnie, if it didn't have a blockbuster weekend it could probably be due to several factor.

The new "Ocean's 13" with all the hunk star in it. Made it a movie weekend for the gals. Everyone came in second place. Also, it's about time for final grades if kids aren't out of school already. Also, maybe the public isn't geared for another on top of another on top of another CG funny animal movie.

We'll find out next weekend as audience catch up maybe. I know the new "Fantastic Four" movie is due out so it'll have competition still.

"Surf's Up" might need to be in the theatres longer than usual for people to catch up to it that's all. Some movies get the big box office first two weeks and some need time to simmer.

If it's good, word of mouth will spread and people will show up.

--------------------

Sketchbook
IE # 135
Member # 1581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchbook   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate to sit in on the Sony Pictures 'Surf's Up' Voice-Acting seminar at Siggraph last summer.... they had the character designer, an animator, two heads of production and voice casting, and Mario Cantone,... the whole thing was MC'd by David Goelz, the muppeteer of Gonzo, Uncle Travelling Matt, Boober, etc. It was really cool to meet them all and hear what they had to say about working on this film.

At the time, they had only a couple fully rendered scenes they could show, and the rest were CG animatics.... but you could see the potentional of the film. I was concerned it would just be 'another penguin movie'... since hollywood constantly replicates itself. But, I could see they were trying to tell an original story.... and it looks like it's going to be a success.

Cheers to the crew!

--------------------
Mike

-

Animation Co-op
IE # 295
Member # 3421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animation Co-op           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason "Surf's Up" didn't have a blockbuster weekend is that people are saying "I can't wait to see this film!"... on the Monday after it opened. [Wink]
hett15
IEcm
Member # 2723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hett15   Email hett15         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of us from Ringling went and we all really liked it a lot. Everything looked great and the story was entertaining. Ocean's 13 was also playing so a lot of people were seeing that instead. We saw both and both were good.
Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, when you think about it (at least, if you're already seen it), SURF'S UP is the perfect FATHER'S DAY movie.

And Father's Day is this Sunday. (Don't ferget yer pooped ol' pop, klds!)

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a scintilla of SURF'S UP advertising that has attempted to exploit this "natural" angle.

Stoopid, stoopid marketing people!

Aloha,

Scott!

Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
Having seen the movie last night, I can say that the one reason that would NOT a factor in any box office failure is the overall quality of the final work. It's an enjoyable film, and one I hope gets full due in time. Everyone involved with the production can be proud of what they've achieved. [cheers]
Jessie
Member # 1722

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jessie   Email Jessie         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice! good job! Robinsons who?
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Wouldn't it be great if "Surf's Up" did better this weekend than opening?

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Nipplenuts McGurk
Member # 1818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nipplenuts McGurk   Email Nipplenuts McGurk         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great movie! Thank you ASIFA for the screening last night.....I think I'll pay to go see it again, to support it (and to enjoy it!)

This movie is such a refreshing change from the cliche and schticky CG movies we've been getting for quite some time. I love the natural sounding and genuinely entertaining characters ...and Jeff Bridges is LEBOWSKI PENGUIN!!! I love the marriage of appealing cartoony characters and realistic cameras - this is probably the closest thing you could describe as a "real cartoon", if that makes sense....I mean, it's like someone went out with real film cameras....and found real life cartoon characters....I dunno, it's just so cool.

This movie BLOWS AWAY the Shreks and Cars and Hedges in terms of over all artistry and storytelling.

AWESOME WORK SONY GUYS and GALS!!!!

Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, for once motion capture has been used in a way that worked beautifully. Instead of using it to simulate the characters, it was used to simulate the camera. That's how the movie was able to create such a lovely documentary effect. First used in "Polar Express," the technique has been fine tuned and added a complex element to the way the camera moved through the picture. No more locked frames in CG. That's an amazing development.
VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful Looking Film , Great Art Direction , Fantastic water effects , Georgous Lighting work
Great Character Designed by Sylvain Deboissy
Best Camera Work In A CGI animated film so far.
Story however was disapointing. Yes it has a documentary feel . Yes the characters are interesting and introduced well in the first part of the movie. But unfortunately the film fails to develop a real meaningful conflict or drama and there is really nothing important at stake for the main characters.

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

I would disagree with your take on the story. I thought they did a great job with selling the teachings of Big Z, trying to get Cody to see that surfing was more than trying to come in first place.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I have already heard speculation that the poor box office showings might have Sony Imageworks considering the closing of the animation unit.

Pure rumors???

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

That would be a real shame.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have already heard speculation that the poor box office showings might have Sony Imageworks considering the closing of the animation unit.

Pure rumors???

I wouldn’t doubt that, we've seen decisions on what happens to films and studios within the first weeks release of a new film.
For example DW stopped with the development of epic animated styled films after the first week of Spirit’s opening and Ant Bully was the nail in the coffin for DNA. 1 animated flop ouch, 2 animated flops or so so business?? I don’t know… the trend is death of a studio.
I hope it’s not true but the animated God’s in the sky have no mercy.

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

If so, the Sony team can stand proud that they produced one BEAUTY of a swan song.

If Sony animation wants money, they should produce an underdog hero type film where the loser protagonist complains about how he/she can't get ahead on life, but does little or nothing to change themselves---but gets everything he/she wants anyway.
Homer Simpson and his ilk are a testament to the success of stories like that.

Let that franchise be the studios cash cow and in between those films they can continue to make beautiful, wonderful, smurfy movies like Surf's Up.

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
If the above mentioned rumours re: Sony are in any way true, how ironic would it be if the film got an Annie/and or Oscar nom and better yet, WON!!??
I hope they don't act in haste--it feels like early days yet; esp. as so many are saying how good this flick is! 77% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, with 81% fresh from the cream o' the crop.I plan on seeing it soon!

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Didn't Imageworks just start to set up a studio in New Mexico? Story link

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though this is still a rumor.
The good side is that it seems for every 1 death of a studio... 2 springs up from thin air.

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
The New Mexico connection has some interesting twists to it. What they are trying to do is take advantage of the tax credits that we are currently offering out here.

By all indications it will probably be atleast a year before they start bringing people in: the studio hasn't even begun construction. Also, to begin with it looks like people will have to be shipped in for the 100 or so jobs in question.

Part of the problem with setting up a studio in New Mexico is the lack of talent. Sony is said to be starting a training program with the local university (UNM). However, the latest information that I have heard says that the school is not very prepared to take on a training program like this.

There isn't any reason why a larger studio can't work out here but I don't think the politicians understand how much instability there is in this industry.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Think of how well Surf's Up would be doing if it beat Happy Feet to market. The shoe would be on the other flipper I bet.

--------------------
 -

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012