AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Surfs Up??

Author Topic: Surfs Up??
Im2dGuy
IE # 25
Member # 1160

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Im2dGuy   Author's Homepage   Email Im2dGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems the animationNation hasn't given this film much thought. [Confused]

Although it does have the stigma of being the last of the wave of penguin movies, these are surfing penguins!! The film seems colorful, well animated, and has an original concept in a world of sequels and triads. Timing seems to be good also, as there isn't any other family films coming out this week.

Any thoughts?
Where is the poll? [biggrin]

--------------------
www.animationbrad.com

IP: Logged
Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen anything beyond the SURF'S UP movie trailer, but I'm definitely planning on seeing it. I especially like the design of that buff, bully penguin with the Polynesian tattoo patterns incorporated into its black-and-white markings.

Although it wasn't particularly brilliant, I enjoyed OPEN SEASON more than any other animated feature last year, and SURF'S UP seems to be in the same vein from Sony. (Besides, it will help to cleanse the rancid memory of HAPPY FEET from my brain.)

Aloha,

Scott!

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
What Scott said. I thought the hunter mullet guy in Open Season was one of the best character designs evar in a CGI toon.
I haven't seen Shrek 3, mostly because my kids don't want to (chalk one up to good parenting* I guess), but they and I are definitely going to check out Surf's Up.

*ahem

Methuselah
IE # 148
Member # 401

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Methuselah   Email Methuselah         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Ape, most of the they'll-roast-in-hell creators of Shrek 3 have small children of their own. I'm talking about the director and artists. Gee, how will they ever justify their lives to their progeny? [Roll Eyes]

As for the topic: how many animated penguin movies have there been? I count one: Happy Feet. There were very funny penguins in Madagascar, but it wasn't a penguin movie.
I'm wondering if I forgot something?

I hope Surf's up is great. Lots of talent involved there. And a pleasant lack of knee-jerk hostility to it here. [Cool]

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Surf's up attracts me as a surfer fan. I'm worn out from funny animal CG movies though. It's really getting pathetic as I can't tell one from another. Only one or two stand out.

This movie Surf's Up has a rooster I've seen that's well animated. Looks like some squash and stretch goin' on like in Chicken Little.

There are no guarantees that this movie will be a hit BUT the momentum behind it could do it extremely well seeing as what I call "Management Math" would say "CG + Penguins = $$$ "

If there aren't any animation features at the time then it could rocket launch like mad.

This year we've seen calculated success as in the Comic Book based movies that have dominated the Box Office this year. If the Fantastic Four goes past $300 mill domestic it'll clinch it for Marvel as the dominating force to come in feature films. That's IF they do things right. Maybe Shaw! can tell us from his secret files what the new FF movie will do.

One thing we know, if Surf's Up has a great story, great acting, score and direction to back up that nifty animation it'll do well at a minimum. If it's better than that it'll do awesome!

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Vaughan
IE # 145
Member # 2968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vaughan   Email Vaughan         Edit/Delete Post 
I *really* like the look of this movie. I hope it's good!
ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

quote:
most of the they'll-roast-in-hell creators of Shrek 3 have small children of their own
I apologize to everyone involved in the production of the Shrek franchise if I in any way implied eternal damnation of their souls. I'm sure my opinion weighs heavily upon them.
(How come there's no devil smiley on this board?)

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hockey Frog   Email Hockey Frog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for the topic: how many animated penguin movies have there been? I count one: Happy Feet.
Oh, how we forget how the whole animated penguin thing sparked up....a clue:...cheese!...and an English studio whose name begins with Aa...

--------------------
"I was obliged to work hard. Anyone who works equally hard will succeed, equally."
Johann Sebastian Bach

Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a fun movie. Surfers will be wearing penguins by the end of the summer. [Big Grin]
Methuselah
IE # 148
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah   Email Methuselah         Edit/Delete Post 
In no way, shape or form did Wrong Trousers start an interest in animated penguins.
It's a great short, but no.

What's sold the use of penguins at all is the live action gigantic success of "March of the Penguins"(though it had no bearing on "Madagascar", already long in production).
I was just saying there have only been two films, Surf's Up" and "Happy Feet". Two films don't make a wave to me.
All the animated penguin characters so far done are very different in story and approach, too-thank goodness.

In a way, the penguin thing is a metaphor for animation: just because two films have characters of the same species--so what? Just because two films are both CG animation--so what? There are really so few similarities right now between studios' styles, yet again and again everything's lumped together in the most crude way in the public discussion.
Not saying that's what anyone here implied, really. This thread just made me think about it again.

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hockey Frog   Email Hockey Frog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In no way, shape or form did Wrong Trousers start an interest in animated penguins.

I disagree. Massively. That character was a huge hit. Whether it had an influence on producers/writers featuring penguins in other animated films, we'll never know, but I wouldn't discount it so easily.
And yes, there IS a wave of penguin films.

--------------------
"I was obliged to work hard. Anyone who works equally hard will succeed, equally."
Johann Sebastian Bach

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
Penguins are perfect for animation.

They're human-like, bipedal birds, with sleek, simple silhoettes that are ideal for anthropomorphic interpretation.

They're waddling motion is inherently funny, thus, easy to take to even funnier levels.

And being essentially black-and-white, they "read" against practically any sort or background.

Frankly, I'm surprised that there haven't been MORE cartoons starring penguins.

Aloha,

Scott!

P.S.: My dislike of HAPPY FEET has nothing to do with penguins; it was the film's directionless, lazy story that put me off. -- SS!

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Shaw! What about our old pal Tennessee Tuxedo! He and his pal Chumley and their zoo pals Baldy the Eagle and Yak?

Tennessee has got to be one of the most popular tv animated penguins in honor to the most famous penguin Chilly Willy!

Say, are there any CG Walter Lantz toons in the works? I would love to see a CG version of Woody and the gang.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As for the topic: how many animated penguin movies have there been? I count one: Happy Feet. There were very funny penguins in Madagascar, but it wasn't a penguin movie.
I'm wondering if I forgot something?

The only other one I remember is The Pebble & the Penguin, which I have not yet seen.

--------------------
 -

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Open Season and look forward to Surf's Up. I think it's funny that people are so burnt out on talking animal features. Imagine living back in the forties and going to the theater - "Oh God not another Bugs Bunny short, and all of those of the funnny animal shorts like Woody Woodpecker, Tom and Jerry, Mickey Mouse, Mighty Mouse - AAAGGHHH I can't take it any more!".

Seems funny that there is no outcry against yet another teen romantic comedy - another slasher film, blah blah blah.

Considering the amount of animated features that get released in this Country, I hardly feel overwhelmed by animal crack ups - better that than another Tom Cruise flick - [Wink]

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
Surf's Up is a designer's dream. Great looking characters and anyone who enjoys the ocean(everyone) will go just to see the lush environments and vivid colors. It just got thumbs up from Roeper and the New Yorker mag critic too. I don't care about seeing Shrek 3 but I'll definitely make it to the theatre for this one. I don't even know if the story is good but congrats already to the Sony crew for making a beautiful film.
Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Two thumbs up from Ebert and Roper (actually Ebert and Edelstein).

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Agreed. Whether it's a "Producer's Fad", the result of audience polls, or just coincidence (ha ha...coincidence in Hollywood...right!) I hope they keep makin' them.

--------------------
Johann Sebastian Bach

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I meant ROPER and Edelstein.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see it for the surfing!
I'd better be wowed by the staging!
Make me happy Sony people!

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Like I mentioned many times before, I need a little assistance here when it comes to the box office polls. I don't follow opening dates, I rely on the info that's passed along here on AN. If folks will give a heads up to release dates as a film approaches I'd be happy to set up a poll in plenty of time. I'll have one for Surf's Up in a bit.

--------------------
 -

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
"Surf's Up" also has my "Toy Story2" director, Ash Brannon at the helm.

Ash is a talented guy who did a lot of the heavy lifting during our first year of story development on TS2. I'm excited to see his new film, and I'm sure he'll deliver the goods.

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

The Art of... book looks like it'll be pretty sweet.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Surf's up on the Surf's Up survey...

http://www.animationnation.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000129#000000

--------------------
 -

oogieboogie
IE # 265
Member # 2706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oogieboogie           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not interested in it. The camera style in the previews, the characters, the whole setup. Doesn't excite me. I don't care about surfing penguins.
devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see this movie. The water effects are amazing from what I have seen so far.

I love the stylized characters.....definatley my kind of toon. I just hope those penguins don't break out in song.

dev-

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The more I see of this movie the more i wanna see it. just for the tattoo markings alone. looks like it pull off what its supposed to be.

I wish it great success. Im looking forward to having fun watching it.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Charles has always made a point in pointin out the point of high points for animation means more points
for animation that obviously points in the direction of other peoples points being heard.

get my point?

You know what I see in this movie? more edge. yeah, right, good word lol. hey, if it workss it works.
the way they work the shots, the color, the design.
lighting, focus..it all points to other stuff. Other
directions to take content.

I have this feeling that when it happens it will be like flood gates. it will almost kill itself with its density...mcfly! hahaha

with great power comes great responsibility.

wax on, wax off.

he's a bad mutha- shut yo mouth

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

I don't mean to sabotage the thread, but the San diego CG Group is planning on seeing "Surf's Up" this Friday. Afterwards, we'll head to the Studio Diner to talk about the film. We would love to get some of you to attend.

We're looking at going to the show Friday, June 8th, at 7:20PM at the Edwards Cinema at Mira Mesa.

We're also going to be talking about upcoming meetings, as well as special events during Siggraph.

I hope to see you there!

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

blue eyes
Member # 259

Icon 10 posted      Profile for blue eyes           Edit/Delete Post 
Merry poppins > first well done animated penguins.

They started all this penguin mess ;-)

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
...and they were animated traditionally.

We had so many levels in some of the scenes -- we had to put the animation on cels in order to view pencil tests.

Can't forget the Master Animator was Frank Thomas. Boy, he was good.

JATG
IE # 29
Member # 65

Icon 12 posted      Profile for JATG   Author's Homepage   Email JATG         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister just took her kids to see Happy Feet. She said she thought the premise was totally stupid.

"Whaddya mean `penguins don't dance?' Haven't they seen Mary Poppins!"

Kee hee hee.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012