my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Animation Desks

Author Topic: Animation Desks
RTP
Member # 3423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RTP   Email RTP         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I am looking for an animation desk of late, to really get some stuff in gear. However, due to the nature of my works, i'm looking for a fair sized desk, u-shaped (or l-shaped) ones, that could also hold a PC, kinda side by side. This i feel would really help me as i'm constantly to and thro between computer and desk. And they (whoever they are) say that a good enviroment to work in is a very good place to start. I can't afford anything customized (other than by my own hand), so i've been looking recently at cheap u-shaped computer desks (2nd hand) and then 'adding' the animation part to one side. Atm, i have a 'portable' animation desk aswell, so that would suite fine on it until i get a more permanent ani part sorted out.

So...I was just wondering if anyone knew a good place to go, either for an animation desk fully completed, or if not, just a real good place for desks in general - just really so i could have a look - see what i can afford and what's out there.

PS: I know it's unlikely (but no harm in asking) - anyone know of a place/person who has the old Disney Animation desks up for grabs. They look real nice to work on (and usually come with a nice price too - but we can dream!) Looking around the web i've seen a few that have sold a while back (and are still posted on the web), even one of those really nice Kem Weber ones, but none for sale now. Unfortunatley it seems i got to Orlando a few years to late (just moved from England) - as i'd assume you cudda picked up a nice bargain from the 2D clearout at the Orlando studio. That being said, if you're in the Orlando area (or Florida area really), and have one, give me a nice big shout!!

Cheers,
Rich.

IP: Logged
Dan Forgione
Member # 3433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Forgione   Email Dan Forgione         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rich,

I constantly keep an eye out for old animation desks on ebay and craigslist, but more often than not, like you said they are quite expensive.

I have an old drafting table with a hole cut out of it that i got in LA when i lived there, and found a great price on a 16 field disk on ebay...

but anyways...the reason i wanted to reply to you was that I just bought a new home office desk from Ikea, that could EASILY be what you are looking for... I do a lot of Flash and 3d so im at my computer more than my animatin table, but i could easily plop a portable animation disk on top of it.....
anyays...the desk is from the galant series at ikea...

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15600&catalogId =10103&storeId=12&productId=11516&langId=-1&categoryId=16137&chosenPartNumber=S99806966

then you can go further with it to make it longer in any direction you want.. by getting extensions to it.... i added 2 extensions on either side of mine, so its a nice L shape in my office, and it cost me a little over 300 dollars...and i love it.....in the coming months ill add portable storage and all....but for what your looking for I would definitely check out an Ikea store if there is one near you.....you can also order SOME of their stuff online....

Hope that helps

Dan

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, that IKEA "L" shape desk looks pretty good and would be a practical base to build an animation work station around. The main thing would be to add some shelving on at least one side, like a traditional animation scene stacker, though any kind of multi-tiered shelving that is deep enough to take animation paper, at least 12 field , 12.5" x 10.5" , ideally up to 16 field.

-

Then put a portable animation table on top of it , with computer monitor and Wacom tablet on the other end. The nice thing about the IKEA table is that it has adjustable legs, so the height of the table top can be custom adjusted to whatever is comfortable for the individual artist.

Sheridan student Brock Gallagher put up plans for how to make a portable animation desk on his blog --

Do It Yourself Animation Desk

This would be right at home on top of that Ikea L table.

Of course, places like ChromaColour and Lightfoot Animation Supplies sell pre-made portable desks, very similar to the one above , so if you're not handy with tools or in a hurry , these pre-made ones are an option :

-

-

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

I just re-read your original message RTB, and noticed that you said you already have a portable animation table. Well anyway, maybe the links I posted will be helpful to someone else reading this thread .

I still think that L shaped table from IKEA that Dan suggested would make a good workspace , combined with the portable animation desk and the addition of some shelves.

If you're really determined to find a big Disney style animation desk I may know of a source for you. I'm going to email you off the list to point you in the right direction for that . Just remember , they're really heavy and if you ever need to move it's going to be a pain to transport it .

RTP
Member # 3423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RTP   Email RTP         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, they're really good pointers. Appreciate it.

That Ikea one does look nice (altho i have yet to find an Ikea in my area, i'm sure there can't be one too far away - the beauty of multi-national corporations!) I like the fact that they are extendable too, if I would ever need to expand. However, i have seen some nice (albeit second hand) wooden U-shape desks for a little cheaper, but they are alot bulkier. So it's all relative i suppose on where it's gonna sit etc. I do like room when i'm working (that's why i'm looking for a replacement, as my desk atm has gotten real cramped)- so there's some good options there.

EustaceScrubb, i would really appreciate it if you could email me that list of Disney Desks as you kindly said you would. I doubt realistically i could afford to buy one right now (The money's defo there - it's just that it's sitting in my upcoming college savings!!lol). But i think the enviroment you work is really important, especially when it comes to motivation in work. And there'd be no better motivation than getting hold of one of them! Just looking at them makes you wanna animate tenfold!

Anyway, thanks for your responses guys, and I look forward to hearing from you more.

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Rich,

I'll email you about it .

Sometimes Disney desks show up on eBay , too. So make sure to check there from time to time. Problem is usually that unless you live near the seller and can pick it up with a local U-haul truck , the shipping costs will be high since the darn things are so heavy.

----

Interesting thing : out of curiosity I just checked on eBay to see if any animation desks were listed. This one if it's authentic, has quite an historical provenance .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180125495249

The seller's description says:

quote:
A real old-school animators desk. Paul Satterfield's desk from Disney days. he drew Beauty and the Beast and Fantasia on this desk. On the surface is written "Beauty, Hero, Beast". The desk is absolutely beautiful, it has the old style shaved blue wood, lead topped surfaces, shelves, a cupboad and drawer with bakelite handles, steel fixed pegbar, three bulb lightbox which works on two settings( bulbs are still working) , a manual pencil sharpener attached to the desk, a hook for pots, fully adjustable desktop. It has all the features you saw in the Disney days, like the blue color, the shaved table leg design, the black sholf surface. It has been cleaned up , but the graffiti is still there. It fits a computer perfectly, for TV, eating or just looking at it's prefect. It always gets attention. Fairly bulky but not too heavy . Local pickup is best, But that's up to you. It is a collectible piece, completely original and unique. Nothing like it exists. ( Apart from the other 70's, 80's Disney animators desks)
A little poking around in my books and on the internet finds that Paul Satterfield was a Disney animator from 1936 to 1938, after which he moved into direction as a Sequence Director on Fantasia and Bambi . After Bambi I can find no further trace of him at Disney , so probably was one of the many who left or were let go as a result of the infamous 1941 strike.

This may be his desk from the Disney Hyperion studio; I've seen similar desks from the Hyperion era, retro-fitted wooden office desks that have had an animation tabletop built in. The famous KEM Weber desks designed for the new Burbank studio didn't become standard issue until after everyone had moved from Hyperion and Seward Street (Bambi unit) over to the Burbank studio, so this desk and desks like it may have still been in use around the studio in the intervening years or sold to employees who wanted to have desk at home. It doesn't have an animation disc, rather has a flat piece of glass over a backlight and a peg bar. Measuring the pegs would be interesting because if they are the old Disney peg system (which was slightly different than Acme standard) then that would certainly prove the desk dates to the time claimed by the seller.

The Seller's description mentions that Paul Satterfield worked on "Beauty and the Beast" , but that wouldn't be the well-known version of "Beauty and the Beast" released by Disney in the 90's. I wonder if there was an earlier (never completed) version of Beauty and the Beast in development at Disney's in the late 30's / early 40's that Paul Satterfield may have been involved with ?

I snagged a screen grab of the desk since it will eventually disappear from eBay once the auction has ended ---

-

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012