AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » 2007 Oscar noms

Author Topic: 2007 Oscar noms
J3
IE # 121
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J3   Author's Homepage   Email J3         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys. Here are the nominations for the 2007 Oscars:

The nominees for Best Animated Film are
• Disney/Pixar’s Cars - John Lasseter
• Warner Bros.’ Happy Feet - George Miller
• Columbia’s Monster House - Gil Kenan

The nominees for Best Animated Short are
• Mikrofilm and National Film Board of Canada’s The Danish Poet - Torill Kove
• Pixar’s Lifted - Gary Rydstrom
• Disney’s The Little Matchgirl - Roger Allers and Don Hahn
• Kedd Production’s Maestro - Geza M. Toth
• Blue Sky’s No Time for Nuts - Chris Renaud and Michael Thurmeier

The nominees for Best Visual Effects are Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, Poseidon, and Superman Returns.

Randy Newman’s Our Town from Cars was nominated for Best Original Song.

--------------------
James
Animated News & VIews
http://animated-news.com

IP: Logged
Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really surprised by the "Monster House" nom. I never would've thought a motion capture movie would ever be nominated.

"Cars" will probably win. I had thought that "Happy Feet" might upset, but that movie's lost momentum in recent weeks.

Gotta look for the shorts. ( I'm glad that Link TV shows last year's winner "Ryan" frequently. )

Pencil-Pusher
IE # 180
Member # 2233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pencil-Pusher   Author's Homepage   Email Pencil-Pusher         Edit/Delete Post 
You can view “Maestro:” at this link: Maestro

An excerpt from “The Danish Poet” is available here: The Danish Poet

“No Time for Nuts” (with Italian Simpsons preview at the beginning:) No Time for Nuts

droosan
IE # 4
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droosan           Edit/Delete Post 
..and THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL is among the bonus features on the recent "Platinum Edition" DVD of THE LITTLE MERMAID ..
monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "The Danish Poet" the other night at an ASIFA screening. Nice film - charming, touching, and funny.
VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
INKAN Wrote " I'm really surprised by the "Monster House" nom. I never would've thought a motion capture movie would ever be nominated."

Did Happy Feet not also use motion capture ? So That's two of the three nominees in the Feature Category using motion capture.

Probably wont matter as CARS will very likely win the Oscar.
I watched Cars again last week and it was even better than i remembered. So many great moments and beautiful art choices.

[thumbsup]

Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Happy Feet" used motion capture for the dancing. But as far as I know, only the dancing was mocapped. Everything else was animated. Can someone confirm?
Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
1 out of 3....niiiice.

Well, I am miffed that Curious George isn't in there...or was it last year?

I'm lost.

As far as Mocap....Well, if you are gonna put Savion Glover in a suit and catch his moves, that is the only thing that probably makes sense for MoCap, because it is a feature and not just a way for an exec to claim cost savings.
The only real benefit to MoCap in games was the use as marketing tool.
Getting Pele's moves in your soccer game....etc.
If there were impetus for a system to exist for animators to walk in room, catch their keys and walk out and then walk back to their work stations...well, that could be a useful tool.

There was a lot of high quality work out there this year. So sorry that the Noms didn't extend into the movies that utilized it from Dreamworks and Sony. There honestly wasn't anything bad in the performances....there are a heck of a lot of good animators out there....

If only the characters were original and appealing and linked into a story that meant their growth as more thoughtful feeling beings....
There was only one movie nominated that does that really well, and that is Mr. Lasseters.

Otherwise the Deus Ex Machina these days, is usually added in whistful musical or fast cutting montage around 3/4 of the way through the movie.

It's as if the Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland "Let's put on a show" thing happened at the end instead of at the end of the first act.

Next year it will be Robinsons Vs. Ratatoille as far as I can see.....what else is on the 2007 horizon to look forward to?

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am honestly surprised that two films that cheated got nominated. That stings. I'm not a heavy advocate for theatrical animation, but surely someone at Dreamworks, Fox, or Sony has got to be scratching their heads here.

Based on principle alone, as well as the trend of recent nominations, I would have surely expected to see Ice Age 2, Over the Hedge, or Flushed Away in the running.

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe cheat's a strong word but I don't know how else to describe it.

No vote for Open Season? Really appealing designs and animation in that one. No love for Satoshi Kon?

Agh, if only Arthur and the Invisibles were elligible..

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012