AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Artists and the people that loathe them (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Artists and the people that loathe them
Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
-Rant Warning-
[Mad]
Ok I’m used to getting calls from out of the blue, here is one that I just got last night. A lady from L.A. says that she has 7 characters for me to design. Although she doesn’t want to talk about the project without me signing a NDA first, then asked me after I sign it to draw 1 of the characters for her for free, to 'see if it’s what they wanted'. I told her that I have a portfolio for a raison d'être & feel that there is more then enough on my site to get a feel of what I’m going to do on this project. Oh yeah, prior to this I also asked “are you OK with what’s on my site already?”
she said, (in a mild condescending tone [Roll Eyes] ) “Yeah, otherwise I wouldn’t be talking to you.” I explained that I don’t want to take a drastic turn & be forced to draw in a disjointed style that I’m not familiar with. She also said, “that was fine.”
The part where things took a weird turn was when I said, I’m not going to draw anything for free.

[ Does anyone go to Taco Bell & ask for a taco to see if you like it? Or go to the theater after seeing a trailer, and saying I’m still not sure, let me see the first 5 minutes without paying to see if it’s what I like. ]

I was told, “If I didn’t draw a sample then we both should just hang up right now.”
I said calmly, “sure that’s fine”
The hesitant & murmuring tone that she made told me that it was an unexpected response. Then we both hung up.

Sometimes people just treat artists with distane seemingly angry for not doing "real work" & ignoring the fact that it took years, countless hours, forfeit to most social time etc. to make creating look effortless. I was also turned off from the start when I was asked to meet face to face to see if we had a “good working chemistry” (over 7 characters) lol- good thing I found that we didn't from face to phone. [Big Grin]

-Rant completed, now I feel better-
Anyone got a beer?

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

IP: Logged
Patty B
IE # 226
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patty B   Email Patty B         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you! About time I hear that these people get it back--who needs who here? It always seems like they think they got ya coz the next meal is coming from them.

Did anyone else on AN get a similar call?

--------------------
 -

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not alone, I'm sure we all have similar stories from one extent to another. This week I was contact to see if I would do some animation for a business site based on what the client had seen of my reel. I’m thinking, “Great! New influx of cash”. The client wanted me to work for about month, to essentially design their web site with 3D animated characters as buttons. I had to model texture & animate (no problem so far) about 10 different low poly characters/objects……..for about $100

Hmmmm, let me think about this; work full time for a month, living in California, a powerful need to eat more than once a week. I don’t think $100 will stretch that far. Needless to say I told him what for and he hasn’t contacted back.

--------------------
-Tom

Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me started with these bottom feeders....
[Mad]

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
You did the best possible thing in this situation, and we all need to thank you. The illustration market is swamped with projects like this and the more we say no to this crap, the more respect the rest of the freelance toilers will be able to build.
Have you ever used any of the freelance project bidding sites? They are a hot bed of animation projects, childrens books, comic strips and graphic novels that are going to be the "next big thing", provided there is an artist willing to work for nothing and get no recognition or ownership.
Oh the stories I could tell...

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
good for you jasen. you stood your ground.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 14 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
She's probably got alot of experience in our industry treating we artists like crap and getting away with it. I'm glad you put her in her place!
Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, such unprofessional behavior on her part. Jasen, maybe you should file a complaint with her boss. She's losing employees for her company.
VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
Jasen , There are plenty of great work on your site
for a client to see what you could do for them .
You did the right thing .

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Jasen.

I've had my fair share of scumbags trying to pull a rip or just being nasty.

Often it's the 'rip off' where they want you to do some designs and samples that they'll take to a second party to see if they want it. They want you to charge below scale and then they fork up their markup.

It sucks but it's the way some people act. America is up to it's wing pits with crooks. We've got more people in jail than anywhere. Not to say we have more crooks, we just are better at catching them.

Bottom line is the client likes your work off the bat or they don't. You have your bottom line terms and that's that. If they're a serious business interest they have the budget, time, and procedure to pursue or they don't.

Spec don't pay bills.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a client once who had a ghastly funny-animal character she me wanted to develop. It's name was "Pigglety-Woo". I did one drawing that she used for some cassette packaging. But when I did a second drawing of the toxic pig, she started to give me the ol' runaround, changing her mind, not wanting to pay for the drawing I'd just done, etc.

Not only did I tell her that I would never again do a single pencil-stroke's worth of work for her, I carefully and calmly told her exactly WHY her character sucked so badly...and then I tore up my final, inked drawing into little pieces before my client's eyes. When I left, she was crying.

Yesss!

Aloha,

Scott!

acme
IE # 51
Member # 1591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acme   Author's Homepage   Email acme         Edit/Delete Post 
Your site plainly shows your style which is very distinct. So much so that when you post your work here I know it's yours before I read who posted it. So anyone who sees you site knows what they will get. She knew what your style was all about only now she knows not for free.

This site has informed me a bunch over the years about standing up for your work as an artist with stories like these. I really enjoy hearing about them. I know this sounds corny but sites like this help the little guy stand a little more united.

I had a musician in a band approach me to do an album cover based on some work he saw of mine. He tried to play up the "good exposure" card. He had all the great fancy talk trying to con me into thinking how lucky I would be to do this. When it came down to accepting I think he was shocked when I sent a document with prices and procedures. I even told him I was working on an animated short in need of a soundtrack and would trade services. His sound was all wrong for what I needed, but It was more to turn the tables on the work for no money feel. To say the least I never heard from him again.

--------------------
Zane Kohler

-

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to be too hard on my colleagues, but sometimes we've brought these things on ourselves.

Artists are often treated like "children" because that's how we're perceived. I don't mean juggling oranges or riding scooters down the hallway -- rather, how we comport ourselves in business situations.

It still irks me when a client hands me a job and says, "have fun." True, I may or may not enjoy the job, but usually it's just going to be work. Plumbers don't repair pipes because they're having fun. They expect to be paid -- and paid well. We, as artists should expect nothing less.

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

I was once invited to do a rush job for the 2002 Olympics right before I left Salt Lake. I sat down with a group of volunteer organizers (some kind of sub-sub-committee) and started to work on a caricature of one of them, which was going to be developed and used throughout all of their printed material which was going to be given to all of the volunteers. Probably 20 or 30 drawings at least. They never quoted me a price while I was there, they wanted to see if I was legit first. I figured of all clients, they probably knew how to deal with artists and what the cost of this sort of thing was. So a couple days later they call back and told me their budget on the project was $200. Needless to say, I politely declined and wished them the best. I never saw the end result of their search, but I bet it ended up looking like they paid $200 for it.
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the part of the thread where all the artists who did agree to work for free post about how well they made out in the end...

[funny]

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

acme
IE # 51
Member # 1591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acme   Author's Homepage   Email acme         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mr. Fun on some of that
I took a class about art and business way back when. One class was a field trip to a gallery. The owner said so many artists show up in ripped jeans and messy hair with the “I’m the talent” attitude. He said it is hard to take them serious when essentially this is an interview and or doing business. I know most freelance now days are through the web but a lot still applies with how you conduct yourself.

Another factor I imagine would be as long as there are naive artists entering in the market there will be clients who prey on their innocence to get more for nothing. There is a web company I have heard of that hires people right out of college and works them like slaves for low pay. Friends who had worked there say people last about 6 months till they wise up. Sadly that approach I think ends up being a “you get what you pay for”.
I think in the case of Jasen’s potential client she may find someone to do it for free but I doubt the quality will stand up to what he can do. Will she care? That’s another question all together .

--------------------
Zane Kohler

-

Joris
Member # 3048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joris   Author's Homepage   Email Joris         Edit/Delete Post 
Altough I agree with that what's said above, for younger artists (like myself) it's often the only way to get a job and build a decent portfolio. And basicly it's not very different from what studios like Disney has done in the past. Especially these days, with so many talented folks around, it's a way to get roll in to the industry as a beginning (but not less talented) artist. People take advantage of that, and it's logical. But the same time it's weird that some of these clients knock on the doors of experienced artists like most here with such a rideculously low budgets or stupid demands.
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the best threads ever.

Maybe I'm lucky in that I've always been paid well. Maybe it's because I'm scary looking that people make sure they pay me.

You can smell ******** in the wind from a client on the first conversation.

1.) Always say 'Thank You' for the offer first.
2.) Ask what the budget is for the project.
3.) If they hesitate one iota when asked about the budget, say 'Thank you' for the offer and then 'Good bye'.

The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition are a must have tool for doing business.

People think we're saps. It's true to a degree. Reason being is that artists are on the top of the heap of human accomplishment. You know how long it took and how much you had to sacrifice to get as good as you are. You see people struggling to even draw a circle. You've seen people stare in wonder at you while you were creating.

You know you're smarter than the average bear.

That alone brings jealousy and envy from not only your fellow human being but you fellow artists as well. It's a shame but it's reality.

Be the best you can be, make sure you have lawyers. I was lucky to have heavy weight attornies as family and friends and now nieces and nephews and godchildren who are top lawyers. I escaped being a lawyer but maybe not totally.

If you don't have an attorney then go meet some, show off your work. You'll make friends quick as long as you're not an *******.

--------------------

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 12 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I only work for free for my friends. Usually they are local bands. I REFUSE to work for free for strangers who solicit me or the bottom feeders of Craigslist. However, I may offer "free work" for a client that I approach.
Right now, I am doing some illustrations for my favorite tea house in San Francisco. I befriended the owner over the summer. I used his tea shop as the backdrop of the summer series version of my comic. We worked out a little agreement that I can promote my comic via the website for his tea shop since I use the tea shop in my work anyway. So, it works out as a dual promotion deal. I get extra exposure via his site and he gets something pretty to show on his site and promote his shop. We are also working on a deal for postcards and mini posters of illustrations that are independent of my comic. I get paid a percentage for those.
I know this deal is kinda fuzzy, but it will pay rent every once in a while and I get tear sheets to build my portfolio up for my ultimate illustration goal: a New Yorker cover! I totally agree with the original post. It is so tempting to do thumbnails for clients, but you have to think; when you work in the animation industry, do you have to do custom thumbnails for a producer? NO! Why? It’s because a producers has excellent communication skills and sometimes along with a director knows how to get what they want out of an artist just by looking at a portfolio. So ease up on the thumbnail peeps. It’ll teach these bottom feeders as Fookise calls them, how to get their act together before approaching an artist!

[sorry if this post is a mess---I'm on a timer at the library!]

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is interesting and all, and I'm glad Jasen didn't take the job, but this kind of thing really isn't worth getting all flustered over.

I'd say that as long as you negotiate an agreement ahead of time you should be fine. They know what they are getting and you know what you are giving. Just remember this.

- always make sure that whatever you sign is also being signed by the person hiring you.
- never work without your client giving you something up front: 50% is fairly normal. The rest should be paid upon completion.
- Greg said to ask about the clients budget. That is actually pretty rude. A person who is paying you to work has no obligation to let you know what thier budget is in the same way that your contract with them should be between the two of you. Would you want a plumber asking you you how much your bathroom cost.
- if you feel that you are in a situation where you are going way beyond your original contractual agreement it is OK to say "...I'll be happy to make that change but I'm going to need a little more to do it."

Remember, business is tricky for most people. In the long run you are better to treat others the way you would want to be treated. Being able to see it from the other guys POV will always give you a leg up in dealings.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

quote:
- Greg said to ask about the clients budget. That is actually pretty rude.
I don't agree. Especially when you are working with someone who has no idea or experience working with an artist. It can be discerned nicely and professionally, without getting into details. Otherwise you're shooting in the dark.
MutantPenguin
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MutantPenguin   Email MutantPenguin         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on DA made a link to this before: Top 10 Lies Told To Naive Artists http://photoravlik.blogspot.com/2006/10/top-10-lies-told-to-naive-artists-and.html

Some good advice. I haven't been in this type of situation yet, aside from friends and co-workers asking me to draw something for them, or of them. To which I say 'Nooooo'. Or I offer a trade, buy me a cup of Starbucks and I whip a 10 minute doodle out for ya'. If they're really persistent I'll draw a picture of them as a monkey or a donkey's butt.

q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
jasen you are an ace and that lady was an ass

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mutant- That top 10 list was a good reminder to artists & business people across the board. This was posted in the comments section... http://www.no-spec.com/

Also I’d say I work with about 15-30 clients on average per year, it’s kinda like eating a bag of pistachios in the dark- MOST are good but you know there is one bitter one in there somewhere & another that you’ll break your teeth on cause the shell was closed shut. (lame pistachio thing but you get the idea)

Also I'm going to keep this email permanently in my inbox as a reminder, not to get too comfortable with clients. I once worked with this guy on the east coast & things went perfectly & payment was completed in 2 stages. The next time I worked with him, I relaxed slightly with him did the work & later got this email--- (all caps was him)

- Email Starts -
JASEN HELLO AND I HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR THANKSGIVING. I JUST WANTED TO LET
YOU KNOW I WILL HAVE A CHECK IN THE MAIL FOR YOU DEC 18 I KNOW ITS BEEN
ALONG TIME. BUT I WILL KEEP MY WORD WITH YOU AND START FRESH IF I CAN IVE
BEEN WORKING HARD TRYING TO GET THINGS IN A BETTER FORM.YOU SEEM VERY BLUNT
WITH ME THROUGH YOUR E-MAILS AND I UNDERSTAND IF YOU WERE ME MAYBE YOU WOULD
UNDERSTAND ME RIGHT NOW BUT I SEE IT ON YOUR END.I DIDNT EXSPECT SO MUCH
DRAMA TO COME IN MY LIFE AND I WANTED YOU TO KNOW IM NOT TRYING TO AVOID YOU
IM TRYING TO CATH UP WITH MY LIFE IVE HAD MORE THAN PROBLEMS LATLEY BUT
THANK YOU REGARDLESS. ID LIKE TO BE YOUR FRIEND AND STILL DO BUSINESS WITH
ME FOR SURE. AHVE A BLESSED DAY AND ONCE AGAIN FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART
IM TRULY SORRY AND I WILL MAKE THIS UP TO YOU ON MY WORD.IN THIS LIFE WE
LIVE IN YOUR WORD IS THE ONLY THING WE HAVE AND I DONT BREAK MINES
EVER...........
- Email ends -

BTW this guy has my work- he expressed his satisfaction - - Dec 18th came & went - - -
He never completed his payment.
 -

--------------------

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Man... If you are dealing with a professional who can't even bother to proofread an e-mail then you should be suspiscios.

By the way: if you are unsure wether or not a client will make the final payment you can always hold them hostage by giving them a watermarked JPEG at low resolution.

I'll amend my comment about budgets though: I have no problem letting an artist know that we have "x" number of dollars for his specific part. However, I would never divulge the overall cost of the project. Sorry for the confusion.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

quote:
Man... If you are dealing with a professional who can't even bother to proofread an e-mail
Yeah it was a concern in the beginning but I often get people that English isn’t their first language so we moved on, weird emails & all.
I just wrapped up with a guy from South Korea & our phone conversations were almost comical but emails were smooth as butter. The guy above had the reverse going on.
BTW if there is an artist that is working with a guy with emails like this (all caps, crappy spelling & sprinkles "blessed day" around) and you think it might be the same guy, then let’s talk privately. [Wink]

--------------------

NYIrish
Member # 3382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYIrish   Email NYIrish         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't work for free, but this is typical of people who don't really know, they want to see something more than your website, because lets be fair, a website, just like a portfolio can be doctored to represent more than the reality of what someone can do?? This is why I think testing is good and neccessary for sure...but now there is crazy testing going on in L.A. right now...over and over and over....it seems that right now, the studios feel like they can treat us, the artists, however they please because they feel that they have the upper hand, but I honestly think that soon this will flip and we will be needed more than we need them, and hopefully then things will change. The way I handle this type of thing, is I will do one test, that is it...no more and also I put my name all over it, so they can't use it without my permish...I will help out a friend who needs it, but like someone said, in trade usually...depends..the NDA is normal these days, just read it carefully.
jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate to say it, but I took a live action indie documrntary feature film (Flash animation segments intercut) job for $100. I had been doing a lot of art that no one was getting to see for some months, & wanted to do something that got out into a completed project & society.

She wanted a lot more work (in revisions) than I was willing to give at points. Experience w/people trying to use me even worse helped to deal w/it.

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
About three months ago, I got an offer to complete 1 minute of 3D animation with two new lip-sync characters with a couple of new sets, due in TWO WEEKS with the expectations of revisions, for $1600. The job included everything including rendering and delivery in a broadcast-acceptable format. I said "No". It was for a well-known client who had paid me much more in the past. I think I did the right thing, even though I'm always short of work. I've been doing this since the 90s, and I'm too tired to do that kind of ridiculous 18-hour-a-day crap any more. I would feel more comfortable taking a part-time job for minimum wage at a computer store to pay the bills. Let the m*therf*cker deal with Chinese or Indian animators for those prices. My time would be better spent cleaning dumpsters.

In December, I subcontracted a 3D job. It was for the same client! But the pay was much more in line with reality.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 8 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had an Ryan Seacrest looking intern at work ask me to make a birthday card for his mother, because he was "too cheap to buy her a card" and that "..it doesn't have to be a masterpiece.. something quick like a watercolor or something."

I couldn't think straight.. it felt like I had a swarm of bees in my head. But instead of buzzing noises.. they made sounds of obscenities.
[Gary]

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a guy call me today who wanted a feature. A FEATURE. He doesn't have any money, but Disney just passed on his idea, and he's sure it will make a ton of money.

I passed.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
It is something, ain't it?

Here's a bit of advice:
unless you know the person or know someone who knows them, never work for a photographer. Ever. No offense meant to those who point and click as a hobby or part-time work but...

My theory is that they are used to wasting film, shots, time and money just to get the "right thing." Therefore they have no qualms about wasting time with people they contract work out to.

I had a photographer who wanted me to do some illustration work and the contract stipulated that they wouldn't pay me until 3 months after they used the work. I asked the assistant why there would be a delay between me drawing something which they approved,them putting that on a website and me getting some scratch. I was told that is how the contracts the photographer gets are laid out. So anyone who the photog contracts out to is treated in the same fashion.

But, whattayagonna do?

Here's an ad I found sometime back that everyone might enjoy. How many things are wrong with this picture:
quote:

I am looking for several novice animators who want to work on a full-length feature animation. I will work with you on the Autodesk MAYA 3-D tool to create the characters and objects used in the animation. I will teach you the techniques required to go from concept to completed project. Location is not important as most of our work together will be via email and internet. Once finished, you will receive a copy of the completed films that you can then use as examples of your work on a full length feature.

This is your opportunity to get out of the “experience” loop. Companies will not hire you without experience, and you can not get experience without working on a project. This project will provide you that experience. This is a great opportunity to beef-up your resume.

The script is complete and the project is ready to go, including the definition of the characters. There is no financial compensation for this project, but you will get hands on experience with the latest 3-D tools and you will be an important part of a feature film.

There are over 100 animated characters, so many animators are needed.

* Compensation: no pay

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

That is both the funniest and saddest thing I've read all day.
BTW, you can easily replace the term "feature" with "graphic novel", "children's book", or "web comic" and find scores of the exact same thing all over craigslist.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

If I strain I might find one instance in the past almost 30 years when I didn't get paid for something. Whatever it was it was probably some sketch for $100 or something. The dude who deadbeated is in jail somewhere they tell me.

When I mentioned securing a confirmation for the budget of a project that's all I meant. A pro client knows a pro contractor is going to get a confirm. It has nothing to do with manners other than professional procedure. No I'm not asking the client how much money they have to spend overall only on my particular contract.

Doing a job on spec is to one's own discretion. I'm working on two comics projects on spec because the two authors are legendary and I feel it's a priviledge to work 'with' them. Instead of me being some shlepp, I'm a 'partner'. I could have asked for money, I would have gotten it since I've known one for almost 20 years and the other I was vouched for by a mutual colleague in the news business.

You have to balance. Do the practical to pay the bills, do the fun stuff to buy the excess, and do the free stuff for good and glory. This way you've got your bases covered.

I'm used to 18 hour days. I enjoyed them but they took a toll on my mental health back in the 90's. I worked 9 months 18 hours straight and totally forgot where that I had family and friends elsewhere. I was known as a workaholic and friends and family would often have to dang near break down my studio door or call the office and stop by to make sure I had eaten and slept. I would wake up, shower and shave, work, go to sleep and start all over again.

I get solicitations to do work every month. I just toss away the bs and focus on my stuff unless there's a project I like.

Now here's a great bonus. Trade.

If there's a studio or comics company or software I would like to study, I often offer to do free stuff in trade for training or software. I've gotten computers, software, car rentals, hotel accomodations etc. People have even traded me apartments, get away vacation spots etc. You would be amazed at how much you save via trade.

Say I trade a company a comic book project for training in a software program. Say it takes 3 months part time. At the end it usually takes me less than a month to make money at what I'd just studied. More of an investment!

There are 3D,CG programs I desperately need to study. I have friends who mastered these programs. Some work for the major studios, some at video game companies. I can make trades like crazy here.

So getting what you're due depends primarily on you.

--------------------

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

quote:
I've had an Ryan Seacrest looking intern at work ask me to make a birthday card for his mother, because he was "too cheap to buy her a card" and that "..it doesn't have to be a masterpiece.. something quick like a watercolor or something."
Couldn't you just picture this guy taking his mom's car to his local Jiffy Lube, giving that same speach "Hey could you just change the oil on my mom's car? It's her birthday. ... It doesn't have to be the premium oil"

--------------------

devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
Red Flags that should send you running....

- "I have a million dollar idea that will make us rich."

- "I can't pay you now, but once we get investors, we will make lots of money."

- "It' a really simple project. I'm sure it will only take you a couple of hours."

- "It's full time work for the next month. I have investors lined up."

- "I can't pay you, but you will get a great portfolio peice!"

- "This will be great experience for you"

In my experience, most credible clients will never try to cheat you. (once you get burned you recognize the red flags)

I for one, never start up a project unless I know I can finance it.

-dev

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- "It' a really simple project. I'm sure it will only take you a couple of hours."
Another big peeve I have is when non-artists tell you how long it should take you do draw something. (not refering to production coordinators)

"It'll only take you 5 minutes!"

- I had heard a story of a guy at comic con asking Sergio Argones to do a sketch, and He told the guy it would be $75. And the guy got all offended saying " $75!! But It only took you 2 minutes to draw!"
To which Mr.Argones replied "no.. it took me my entire life."

7 years ago, A family member had a 25 minute operation that cost her insurance company $35,000. That's $1,400/ minute. Or $23.33 a second.

I put the blame on theme park caricaturists.. [Wink]

They are out there drawing 5-10 minute caricatures for $10-15. Everyone sees that and thinks cartoonists work that eagerly, that fast and for that little. ..Kidding

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

$75 for a Sergio Aragones sketch?

That's a bargain!

He did one for me for FREE at the '95 Chicago Con. I was at a booth signing autographs and a friend of mine knew I couldn't get up from the booth so he went and showed Sergio one of my comics and Sergio drew an almost full page toon of one of my characters. I treasure it to this day.

Sergio RULES!

--------------------

NYIrish
Member # 3382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYIrish   Email NYIrish         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! So glad I stopped by, thought this kind of thing was just happening to me..Ha!

Well, I will add this, although very rare, I once met a television actor who paid me $500 to do a line drawing of his co star. It took me like a day to ink it and all, and then he gave my name to some pop star who paid me $1000 to do a smiliar one....so maybe we are all going about it the wrong way...

and I am not slamming anyone...but I worked for two studios that did the "I have investors lined up" I got paid for a bit in the first one, but when I found out they lied about paying overtime, bonus and even lowered my salary, I left,(yes they owe me tons) then the second job that didn't claim to have investors, but claimed to have money for a couple years, the job just ended 18 months earlier than I was promised...sadly even contracts don't help in these situations. You can't get blood from a stone, but now I have a hard time even trusting the big studios until that first check clears...

CavePainter
IE # 297
Member # 2568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CavePainter   Email CavePainter         Edit/Delete Post 
She sounds like a jerk. Probably got six other artists at work on the other characters. Dang I hate people like that.

If only artists could just resist the temptation to say ... "ugh, ok. I just wanna draw."

Jasen, you don't need that sht. And neither do the rest of us. YA HEAR THAT FELLOW ARTISTS? JUST SAY NO.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012