AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Title Bout: B/W/O/F Opening Titles For TV Cartoon Series?

Author Topic: Title Bout: B/W/O/F Opening Titles For TV Cartoon Series?
Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, I was always frustrated that the opening titles of TV cartoon series were far superior to the shows themselves. Better animated, better timed, better music, etc. (Of course, now I know the reasons for this disparity.)

So what do you consider to be among the best, worst, Oddest and your favorite main title sequences of animated TV series?

My choices?

BEST -- FRANKENSTEIN JR. AND THE IMPOSSIBLES is the best opening title I've ever seen. Very graphic (I believe it was boarded by Bill Perez), with exciting music.

WORST -- The new BABY HUEY show's opening was nicely done (by Bob Jaques' Carunkle Films, I think) but the final shot of Baby Huey's sh*t-filled diapers dragging along the ground, surrounded by buzzing flies, tainted the good work before it, at least in my memory. It's gotta be the only time a smelly pile of crap ever made it into a show's main titles! (Although there have been many title sequences that were smelly piles of crap themselves!)

ODDEST -- The original MICKEY MOUSE CLUB, with different Donald-Duck-with-a-gong gags in many of the episodes; this became a running gag in itself!

FAVORITE -- THE FLINTSTONES original opening, with Fred driving home from the quarry, stopping to pick up cleaning, the Stegosaurus fire engine, etc.

TIED WITH -- The original ROCKY AND HIS FRIENDS opening titles. Absolutely, wonderfully surreal!

TIED WITH -- GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE's title sequence is still a mind-blower, with psychedelic art direction that doesn't seem at all dated.

TIED WITH -- Format Films' THE ALVIN SHOW. Yes, kiddies, believe it or not, Alvin, Simon and Theodore were once cool, and these main titles show just how cool they really were!

CURRENT FAVORITE -- XIAOLIN SHOWDOWN has a pretty impressive main title sequence. I believe that it was boarded by Eric Radomski; it's very graphic and makes the characters and concept seem very appealing (even though the show itself doesn't grab me.)

What do the rest of you think?

Aloha,

Scott!

IP: Logged
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
BEST animated show opening: Classic Johnny Quest

WORST animated show opening: The New Adventures of Johnny Quest

ODDEST animated show opening: The Wuzzles

FAVORITE animated show opening: GI Joe (season II)

TIED WITH -- Transformers series II

TIED WITH -- Ducktales

TIED WITH -- Bionic Six

CURRENT FAVORITE: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

DRP
IE # 272
Member # 3336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRP   Author's Homepage   Email DRP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with Johnny Quest, but this has to be in there somewhere:

Flash Gordon (Spanish version)

--------------------
 -

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense, but if you guys love the character so much, you oughtta know that his name is JONNY Quest, not "Johnny".

Aloha,

Scott!

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
SUPER CHICKEN
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No offense, but if you guys love the character so much, you oughtta know that his name is JONNY Quest, not "Johnny".

Aloha,

Scott!

None taken, but it wouldn't show up on my You Tube search when spelled correctly. Everyone was spelling it wrong. I caved in to the peer pressure. It's like some sort of really bad after school special.

Please forgive me!

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Vaughan
IE # 145
Member # 2968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vaughan   Email Vaughan         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I crazy, or did animated shows used to change their openings every season. I distinctly remember being very dissapointed when they stopped doing this.
Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
As a child of the late 80s I'd be subjected to a lot of overly-animated intros to not-overly-animated series. The Mega Man opening is this massive animation of explosions and buildings crumbling to the ground, all animated on ones. Then the actual show begins and it's a slideshow. Thundercats is another one, where you wonder what happened to the budget.

My favorite opening belongs to Hare and Guu, which is just insane hyperkinetic dancing to supersamba music. Any intro that has a cat being played like a trumpet is okay with me.

The oddest... I guess you could just throw a dart at a dartboard filled with Japanese cartoons and hit it. American-wise, I was always perplexed by A Pup Named Scooby Doo, with its 1950s doo-wop music, even though the characters are anachronistically 1990s from slang to hobbies.

omnigon
Member # 3185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omnigon   Email omnigon         Edit/Delete Post 
BEST animated show opening: Thundercats

WORST animated show opening: smurfs

ODDEST animated show opening: the first smurfs episodes

FAVORITE animated show opening: Thundercats

TIED WITH -- Thundarr the Barbarian (love the whole post apocolyptia)

TIED WITH -- Gummie Bears

TIED WITH -- He-man and the Masters of the Universe

CURRENT FAVORITE: The Simpsons(the complete one. This one's short but I like the couch gag on this one)

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
BEST: Max Steel, season II

WORST: Lots of contenders here; and first-season Fantastic Four blows all of them away in terms of awfulness with Teamo Supremo and Loonatics being not that far behind.

ODDEST: Ace Ventura: TAS

FAVORITE: Besides Max Steel, Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles

TIED WITH: Batman: TAS, Mucha Lucha, and Roswell Conspiracies.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012