AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » THUNDERCATS: NOOOOOOO!

Author Topic: THUNDERCATS: NOOOOOOO!
mbaker
Member # 2012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbaker   Email mbaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Thundera! If Mumm-Ra couldn't destroy The Thundercats, Warner Bros. sure can.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24232

IP: Logged
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks as if the producers may actually succeed in making a show as bad or worse than the original... or maybe they'll pull a HE-MAN and remake a very popular but undeniably awful show into an almost tolerable, unsuccessful new version.

This bugs me:
The animation style is whimsical, Americanized anime, along the lines of Teen Titans
Am I the only person who doesn't like the new TEEN TITANS? It looks to me like a sorta halfass FLCL copy, without the restraint or conviction of the visual conventions as they're used in FLCL and other anime. I was glad to hear that the new DC DTV cartoons would be done comic-book style, without even the acceptable liberties taken by TIMM-styling.

How is LOONATICS doing, anyway? It pulled good numbers didn't it? I only saw ten minutes of one show, and it was more boring than offensive. Had it not been for the adverse advance fan reaction, I may not even have realized it was based on classic Warners characters.

droosan
IE # 4
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droosan           Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what little I've seen of the THUNDERCATS re-vamp (which I admit was over a year ago), that entire article is way 'off-the-mark'. FWIW .. can't say much more about it because, well, I can't. [Razz]

But even if it were all true .. it's a re-make/re-imagining of THUNDERCATS. The original is still out there .. it's even on DVD now; in complete season sets, of all things.

I guess I just fail to see the cause for 'outrage' .. [Confused]

Vaughan
IE # 145
Member # 2968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vaughan   Email Vaughan         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, on the one hand thsi sounds kinda fun. But couldn't they do this cartoon *without* loosely basing it on the Thundercats? Doesn't anyone want to be remotely original anymore? If it wasn't for originality there wouldn't have even *been* a Thundercats to begin with.

I'd watch a good cartoon about teenage cat-people that fight an evil winged mummy and play in a rock band, but don't try to sell it to me as the Thundercats!

Smeeb!
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smeeb!           Edit/Delete Post 
Um..guys. Who cares? The original Thundercats was...um...well...just an action figure based pile of crap.
Vaughan
IE # 145
Member # 2968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vaughan   Email Vaughan         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on, that's not fair. What was I supposed to do as an 80's kid, come home after school and watch some Norm McLaren or Oskar Fischinger LD's? Well Excccccuse me princess! [Smile]
mbaker
Member # 2012

quote:
The original Thundercats was...um...well...just an action figure based pile of crap.
Actually, The Thundercats were the creation of Ted Wolf. They eventually had a toyline, but not prior to the show like other 80's cartoons from that time.
Smeeb!
Member # 67

I'm sorry . I seem to recall growing up in a time where there were commercials for thundercats toys 24-7. I just think it was a crummy, infantile show.
omnigon
Member # 3185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omnigon   Email omnigon         Edit/Delete Post 
ah... the process of modern day executives raping my childhood continues...
Easy Zee
Member # 3201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Easy Zee   Author's Homepage   Email Easy Zee         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen anything of the New version. but DAMN! I just watched the intro to the 80's Thundercats, and it is as good as I remembered it! It is just as strong as any of the intros to any show these days. Usually I am gravely disappointed when I see something from the 80's that I remember as being really cool. Then I see it today and it looks crap, like Spider Man and His Amazing Friends. I remember that show looking wicked! I saw it a few years ago and it looked really bad. But the old THUNDERCATS opening is animated very nicely, good shots, great action, great look, great design. I am interested to see this new remake.
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...modern day executives raping my childhood...
Ah, your childhood was askin fer it, wearin' them short skirts and flouncin' around with no undergarments.
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

quote:
...the old THUNDERCATS opening is animated very nicely, good shots, great action, great look, great design
Very true. I loved the intro. But it looked like it was from a whole other show. The body of THUNDERCATS itself - the actual show - was stock-standard cheapo kwap 80s animation.

I remember the theme song had lyrics something like "Thundercats are on the loose, Thundercats drink juice", but that can't be right.

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qd_IsxgAf8

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

rocktoonz
Member # 594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocktoonz   Author's Homepage   Email rocktoonz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a link to the old Thundercats opening title animation on my blog. Yeah, the opening title animation was 500 percent better than the actual show....
Craig Clark blog

--------------------
www.cheekypress.com

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd watch a good cartoon about teenage cat-people that fight an evil winged mummy and play in a rock band, but don't try to sell it to me as the Thundercats!
Change it to teenage mouse-people, change the villain a bit, and one could sell it as Rock & Rule.

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
 -

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the Justice League redux the only remake of an original SatAM property to have been considered an improvement over the source material? Wait. . .don't answer that.

Y'know, it is possible that Ron Myrick could have something to do with this.

Noogy
IE # 18
Member # 705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noogy   Email Noogy         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the show when I was a kid, but I liked pretty much everything. I'm against bringing back any of the old shows and despise what's on TV now, but hey, kids deserve new stuff just like I did when I was little.

--------------------
-Dean Dodrill

-

mbaker
Member # 2012

While i was never a big fan of 'Thundercats', i will say that it has one of the best looking intros of any cartoon from the 80's, or any decade. It's just so amazing to look at. The anime studio that worked with Rankin-Bass on that show, Topcraft', went on to become Studio Ghibli.
Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
That was always the problem. The rest of the show never lived up anywhere near the quality of the introduction. Typical Rakin Bass values. At least the WB and Disney material from the period used equal quality for both titles and main production. Very off-putting.

(Hell, even HB was consistent during the 80's. Consistent crap, but consistent. [tipsy] )

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I the only person who doesn't like the new TEEN TITANS?
I like the designs. I like the stories. I like the opening.
WHat I don't like is their need to ape Japanese animation...poorly; breaking it down as if the Japanese approach is a series of stock cartoon cliches. Same with Martin Mystery; another cartoon I'd like more if they didn't try so hard to be Japanese.

Smeeb!
Member # 67

Yeah. i think most of the nostalgia towards ANY 1980's animation was for the intro animation which was generally very cool. To this day, i can only mostly remember the opening titles to many shows, and not much else about them. Why? Because i like GOOD ANIMATION. If the rest of the show had looked like that, I woulda watched more. but no, it was all done on the hyper-cheap.
mbaker
Member # 2012

quote:
I like the designs. I like the stories. I like the opening.
WHat I don't like is their need to ape Japanese animation...poorly; breaking it down as if the Japanese approach is a series of stock cartoon cliches. Same with Martin Mystery; another cartoon I'd like more if they didn't try so hard to be Japanese.

I agree that that's one of my many pet peeves with 'Teen Titans'. Glen Murakami tries to sqeeze in as many anime sight gags as he can, and that can get pretty annoying sometimes. Despite this, 'Teen Titans' has some substance to back up it's style. Unlike 'Totally Spies', and 'Martian Mystery', which are more painful to watch by comparison.
oogieboogie
IE # 265
Member # 2706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oogieboogie           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the intro animation! Like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSOZX7kUy8

Note the ripping cool split screen effect like many 80s live action shows.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just found out they're going to make them Thundercats Babies instead.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robster16   Email robster16         Edit/Delete Post 
They should soooo stick to the original format, only now with the same quality animation as the original opening credits. I like the new series W.I.T.C.H., which has a very nice animation style and some amazing background art. Good vibe, fantasy meets contemporary. I especially like the look and feel of the parts in the second dimension which looks like the middle ages. It's based on a comic by Barbucci (of skydoll fame). Thundercats should look and feel like that, as the original, which is FAR more entertaining and fantasy filled.

// W.I.T.C.H. opening theme

ROB

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Aimlessly curious, I just GOOGLED the THUNDERCATS and encountered a comic version by some group called Seiren. I won't say more, but DOOD!

Don't let the kids look over your shoulder if you GOOGLE that particular thing yourself.

Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Frank. Now my soul is diseased. [puke]
Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Teen Titans had fantastic artwork. Great drawings, great animation. Deserved its Annie nominations.

But with Thundercats, you know... there's really only so much great art can do, when the concept is implausibly less inventive than Loonatics. When I think about how the television industry is reverting to the late 1980s this is the kind of show I envision. You just know someone's going to remake Turbo Teen at some point. In a 'whimsical Americanized-anime' way.

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Felt I should post an addendum, because I'm painting too broad a stroke there. This is the sort of idea that concerns me, that networks and studios MIGHT be reveting, didn't mean that they actually were-in fact-reverting.

Is this actually being developed, though? WBA pitches sometimes get leaked to the web and don't actually materialize into anything. Bruce Timm once said there was a pitch about a Pokemon-styled show starring Batman in the distant future who gets electronically summoned by kids to do battle. So there's a lot of these kind of ideas floating around, but I'm sure the heads at WBA are level-headed and merciful enough not to give them all a pass.

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

I'm waitin' for the faux-anime version of FRED AND BARNEY MEET THE THING AND THE SHMOO.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012