AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Why is anime better written? (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Why is anime better written?
Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The various incarnations of DRAGON BALL are killer
Oh yeah....

"Could he be a Super Duper Double Scooper Sayan? No it's impossible....
It couldn't be, It can't be....but what if it's true. What could it mean if it's true? If it's true it could only mean trouble, so I hope it's not true. Although if I'm wrong it could be bad, very bad if he were a Super Duper Double Scooper Sayan..."

---all the while floating sideways in space above the ground....for nearly minutes.....

Oh yeah... good writing.

yeah....sure.

Ever wonder where Mojo Jojo comes from....three guesses...first two don't count.

When the commander of the the Ginyu force shows up with his treatise on "style", now that is funny...but still....

Just a few more minutes I could be drawing or doing laundry. [Smile]

The whole thing about Anime writing being more "artful" is like Chiun trying to convince Remo Williams that American Soap Operas are great filmed literature.

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

IP: Logged
Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The whole thing about Anime writing being more "artful" is like Chiun trying to convince Remo Williams that American Soap Operas are great filmed literature.
As someone who's explored enough anime to know he doesn't like it...what did you think of Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories?

--------------------
 -

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As someone who's explored enough anime to know he doesn't like it...what did you think of Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories?
Ohtomo is a brilliant man.
The visuals are stunning.
Are we talking about writing?

It's good.
But is it art?
I like his short stuff better...and probably always will because he doesn't end everything with a big fat bang, like he seems to when his comics are adapted to films.

Akira was decent, but the ending left me flat.
Steam Boy...surprizingly also left me flat at the end. And the females in his works are worthless to the story. Usually there to let out the requisite squeal at the appropriate time, providing something pleasant to look past.

Metropolis....boring.

Can Ohtomo make a feature that doesn't involve a monstrosity taking over a major city?

Magnetic Rose in Memories was cowritten by Satoshi Kon. who was responsible for Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers. OMG, that stuff is art.

Satoshi Kon is a standout.

Miyazaki keeps making stories that sprout out of amazing youth literature.

To me Hiroyuji Yamaga's Wings of Honneamise is like the Iron Giant of Anime'
It's one of the few times where depth and growth is what the main character is about. Shiro decides to care about something, at first accidentilly and then eventually ends up with the help of the rest of the Astronaut Corps, making history, in the midst of a political land squabble, that turns into a full blown war. He is a drunken potential date rapist, a serious hero, a lazy idiot, and a target of political assasination, and no one stands still as the background flies by in a bunch of speed lines behind them....and if there is a "bunch of tripe" kinda speech, it is quickly deflated.

>----------------<

This was started out as why Japanese Anime writing is far superior to American animation writing.

It seems like the ratios of excellent to passable to crap are about the same.

This isn't a discussion of the art or visual production quality.

Most of the time, I would rather watch an episode of Doreamon over Inuyasha or Full Mental Alchemist.

B stated in a tone resembling the Comic Store Guy from the Simpsons:

quote:
Sure the Japanese people are just as human as the next guy but in their art and storytelling I and many others find it of an awesome quality.

Too bad you don't. You're missing out on some fine art.

I don't see your argument.
It seems that you are saying all of it or nearly all is good.
Your original argument was......

B originally stated in a tone similar to Peter Brady from the recording ot "time to change", or like that generic squeeky teen behind the fast food counter from The Simpson....

quote:
In Japan the people are spiritually aware. They value spiritual things in a harmony not in a two-gunned/two-fisted fire and brimstone way we do here. To the Japanese the power of living spirit is in everything and can be found in everything. The full spectrum of the human condition can be found in the art and performances.
Can you not see how nationalistic or absolute that sounds?
And how untrue it is when it comes to two guns, two fists and brimstone.

City Hunter....Gun.

Golgo 13.....Gun

Lupin...Guns, a sword that can cut through anything, mad thief skills, boobs....it's basically the ATeam.....no one really gets shot....

GatchaMan.....Mission Impossible with space Ninjas.....in day glow costumes.....

"Hokuto No Ken" is not high art.
It's grown men with Supernatural skills killing each other with their hands....and a foot or two.

Kujaku-O is about is freaky brimstone as you get. Indian and Chinese Demi Gods reincarnated as living bodhistava to destroy evil demons whose main aim seems to be to sexually assault, disembowel, and dismember as many school girls on the way to world domination as they can...oh wait sorry that was the comic book. The anime was cleaned up...

A friend gave me the comic when he saw I liked the pseudo buddhist art style and action, and thought that I would appreciate the extension of the plot into wholesale sexual violence. Let's just say he was misinformed of my interests.

Hmmm...Brimstone Huh?

.....Demon City.....Urotsukidoji....Sorcerer Hunters.... Vampire Hunter D....I could go on....

I love Japan.
The people are a lot like us...and most of their stuff, like most of ours....is done for money and the writing, is on par with ours.

I like Speed Racer, it's a rip off of a Tony Curtis character. I don't need to consider it art. It was made for kids. And that is cool.

Why do people on here like propogating the whole "people think animation is for kids" thing.

The people I have known who have that hang-up seem to have a serious issue with people picking on them for being into sci-fi, fantasy and furries and anime too....

Hmmmmmm.

P.S. Buffy sucks. [Wink]

--------------------
20's-30's music

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
All I'm trying to say is that the first post of this thread is trying to compare Paranoia Agent to.. Teamo Supremo. But most shows in Japan are not Paranoia Agent, much like most shows in America are not Invader Zim. If you were to watch a day's worth of the usual animation that airs over there I think you'd commit suicide.

Maybe I'm biased against anime, I do think they employ very good directors that understand space in conversations and subtle human motions. But I take a brief glance at the stuff that premieres every season and maybe only 1 or 2 of the 30-40 that debut are even remotely watchable. Most are all carbon cobies of each other much like what you see over here.

I'm sure it's the same deal over there... the good ideas are suffocated, the easy and safe ideas get the swift approval. We just don't realize it because less than 10% of Japanese animation actually makes its way to America, and 3-4% of it airs on American television. Most remain unlicensed and not touched by the longest of poles, for good reason.

Smeeb!
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smeeb!           Edit/Delete Post 
I will give Japanese animation this. There doesn't seem to be a "hugely critical" attitude towards an idea. Have a girl beat a penis monster to death with her giant boobs? Sure! We Americans would think that was sick and wierd and we would squirm. But really, after a while you get used to the zaniness.

To better illustrate my point, take the film POM POKO. Yes, the movie where raccoon-dogs make their testicles swell up to ten times their normal size and beat humans with their scrotums. ( Whoa! )

Now, can you imagine some American animator pitching this movie to a high powered Hollywood executive? He or she would be kicked out of the building toot-sweet!

Believe it or not, it makes sense. Japanese are familiar with the legends of raccoons with bulging balls *snicker* It's THIER culture.

I would wager that 98% of American audiences ( who are NOT gigantic anime fans, but rather run-of-the-mill Americans who sometimes pop in a video and leave it running to entertain their kids...well...would you REALLY want them to select that? Moreover, could you expect them to say "Honey, it's important for you to watch the raccoon ball-sac movie. You need to learn and appreciate other cultures."

NO!

As intolerant as it might seem to open-minded animation fans, that parent might just yelp out in fear..."Dear GOd! What is this!" Or..."Jesus! Look at all the blood spilling out of that giant robot!" Or..."Look! After 64 episdoes of threatening Frieza, Goku finally transformed into A Super-Sayain ( or Say-a-jin to anal anime fans ) Now look! He's going to talk some more!"

It's all cultural.

Smeeb!
Member # 67

Oh btw. I chose to bring up POM POKO because i saw it at...WALMART! Yes! Where it could easily be mistaken for any CHILDS CARTOON! They sure as hell didn't feature any magic testes on the cover *snicker*
amanofan
IE # 191
Member # 369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amanofan   Email amanofan         Edit/Delete Post 
i tend to agree with a lot of the other sentiments here in that its a major cultural difference.

I think a lot of the success of anime in japanese culture has to be attributed to the widespread use and distrobutoin of manga. I was recently in japan and you literally see people of all ages reading manga... everywhere. Manga which has stories of all kinds for every demographic of society.

So its like a natural progression that those same people that read manga are gonna maybe watch the adaptation on TV. But the affection towards cartoons seems to be deeper than just that... cartoon characters are found everywhere! I saw mailboxes with cartoon character statues on them for heavens sakes. Its like ingrained in their culture.

Smeeb!
Member # 67

So am I to understand this is one of those "Oh, if only American animation were exactly like japanese animation i wouldn't be ashamed to admit I watch it?" kind of threads? :}

Seriously. Because I can't really think of a reason for someone to complain. If you want American animation to be like Japanese animation...why not just WATCH Japanese animation. There are people out there hwo like AMERICAN animation y'know :}

Caracal
IE # 161
Member # 3024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caracal   Author's Homepage   Email Caracal         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't so much about American vs Japanese as the fact that Japanese anime simply has a much fuller range of expression. Sure they have their share of low brow and commercial and wierd but they also have a wealth of incredibly rich material that is far more expressive than anything you'll ever find in American animation.

Eric mentioned Wings of Honeames. We've never produced anything that could touch that movie just in its last 20 minutes. (By the way Eric how can you separate out the visuals from the writing? I though in animation and film half the story telling IS the visuals.:)Storyboarding is storytelling too.

It's a fact that whats acceptable content to the producers of US animation is much more limited in scope than what you can find in Japanese animation. I don't hate commercial american animation I just think most of it is very limited in scope and unremarkable. I don't see what's wrong with wanting to see a little more diversity and creativity. Animation here is for kids. It never rises above that level of sophistication.

And it probably never will unless some independents outside of the studio mentality make them.

Cheers

Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Could he be a Super Duper Double Scooper Sayan? No it's impossible....
It couldn't be, It can't be....but what if it's true. What could it mean if it's true? If it's true it could only mean trouble, so I hope it's not true. Although if I'm wrong it could be bad, very bad if he were a Super Duper Double Scooper Sayan..."

Hey, Eric, maybe you can give the original Dragon Ball manga a try. I'm not very fond of the anime series either, but I love the manga. Even my girlfriend, who thought she'd hate it, loves it to pieces.

The beginning of the story is actually very funny, and cute, before all the characters turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger. Also, the pacing is a lot better than the anime, because Toei animation decided to make a series about three times as long as it should be, by padding it with a lot of additional storylines and fight scenes.

In the first 30/40-ish episodes of the manga, you actually care about the characters. Then it transcends into the weird stuff you see on tv all the time (though the pacing is still a lot more bareable than the anime).
(In the last 'saga' of the manga's story the writer actually brings the story back to its roots again, with a lot of jokes and likeable characters.)

The story's a bit strange, but the characters are very well developed, which still counts as good writing in way, IMO.

--------------------
Tekenen is schrijven en spreken tegelijk.

Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just one more thing, when it comes to tv series, anime takes way too long IMO. I never really feel like watching those shows, because to make sense of the story you'd have to see all 30+ episodes.

Personally, I like their mini series a lot better, like FLCL (Furikuri).

You could give that one a try OFFBEAT! The story seemingly makes no sense, but there is definitely something in there, it's extremely funny, and very well animated (It actually boast a couple of pretty experimental sequences, animation wise, very cool!). The creators really took animation on fours to the highest attainable level, and I mean it.

Great action sequences, designs and humor, and it's only six episodes long, which means there aren't any of those episodes in which nothing happens because they didn't have any time or money left.
(The BEST sequence is in episode 5, but I'll leave that for you to watch.)

--------------------
Tekenen is schrijven en spreken tegelijk.

Smeeb!
Member # 67

Wings of honey mayonaise! :}
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i don't follow the whole anime scene like i used to when i was in high school. i used to be really into it, and had to go out of my way to track that stuff down. however, i got bored of it over time. i found alot of it to be complete copies of other shows that were popular. most of the styles and visual language got tiring after a while. i can't stand maybe 80% of it anymore.

in terms of writing: i don't think any of it is really written very well. most of it is just as cookie-cutter screenplay-wise as any american production.

however, there's still a bunch of films and series i still really like. a friend of mine just showed me a series that just finished its run over there called "mushishi". very off beat show with a slow, leisurely pace. there are no action scenes, no wacky SD poses, and the opening doesn't showcase a bunch of the main characters striking fighting stances. however, its extreamely well done and its a shame that something like this couldn't be done over here.

well, maybe someday.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

quote:
Eric mentioned Wings of Honeames. We've never produced anything that could touch that movie just in its last 20 minutes. (By the way Eric how can you separate out the visuals from the writing? I though in animation and film half the story telling IS the visuals.:)Storyboarding is storytelling too.
There are several ways to seperate the visuals from the story telling. Turn off the picture. Read the screenplay. Watch storyreel portions.

When I hear anyone with a super nationalist agenda...I often think of Kent Mansley. I just do... And it's not just the fact of having tons of Canadians in my life. [Wink] His rant, just before the Landslide kicks in, is an amazing distillation of tons of Cold War angst...boiled down to a hearty esscence.

Bob Parr says "me too kid." He says it only once and DOESN'T follow up with another "me too." which is the hackneyed way a bad writer would do it. By only hitting the sentiment once the writer Brad Bird leaves room for the director Brad Bird to have people feel the sense of loss. To give the animators a chance to do something that isn't as spastic as what a lot of people are forced to do these days.

The writing in Wings of Honneamise is phenominal because the main character at the end is still cynical....about the idea of being part of the big government plan, but not in his mission...and he has gained faith in himself and some ideas that make him feel better about being alive.
Shiro sings that he is "surrounded by fakes"...because of the wooden tank models the army has placed around the launch site to look like they are prepared to defend the rocket....

Then as they crest the hill and see the rocket that will either send his to space, start a war, and(or) blow up killing him...He sings. "Come and soar with me on the biggest fake of all."

The movie is about Faith. In self, in country, in God. It's an effin' big movie. Then at the end they put in the equivalent of a Korea Era air and ground battle with more music by Ryuichi Sakamoto.

That is art. Written, visual, auditory, orchestral....

--------------------
20's-30's music

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Anime.
But I responded when reading the topic, "Is it really?".

IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like Anime.
But I responded when reading the topic, "Is it really?".

Not even anime can escape Sturgeon's Law.

[Wink]

--------------------
 -

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the OP is missing the trick. Conceptually, animé is more exciting. The execution is often as off as western animation... plus a lot of dubs don't do the originals justice... I just wish we had as much variety in our commercial animation as they do.

Still, doesn't mean we can't enjoy theirs, does it? So it's all good!

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Smeeb!
Member # 67

if you think animae is so damn great, i dare you to watch PUNI PUNI POEMY. Ten seconds of that will give you a headache. Watching it all will make your head EXPLODE.

Watch that, and then tell me anime is "great art" that is "well written"

Smeeb!
Member # 67

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqVlLcTGvoY
Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
Wings of Honnamise was released one year before Akira . And as I recall it from the director's commentary, many of the artists moved from that film over to Otomo's film, and some artists also moved over into Miyazaki's production for Castle In the Sky.

I was captivated by Wing's cinematic quality. It looked and felt like a real cinematic big-screen picture: something along the lines of 'The Last Emperor'. I also recall seeing 'Wings' about a year or more before Akira came along and moved completely into the spotlight.

For Wings of Honneamise or for any film for that matter it seems to me one has to be interested in or looking for that type of picture. If not, I can see someone easily falling asleep during the viewing of the movie, or someone finding it annoying long or pointless.

The story is deep, but you'll have difficulties finding that in the American dubbed version -- the acting and translations seemed dumbed-down to me.

I also like the Escaflowne tv series. The series is really about the horrors and results of endless violence (Sound topical and familiar and these days?). It's a heavy tale, but the overall quality and depth of the writing and story is still entertaining enough to make the series a memorable one.

I also liked the animation for Cat's Return. However, the story isn't one of the best of what Ghibli has been providing over the years.

But I’ve also enjoyed watching Roger Ramjet, Tom & Jerry, Frankenstein Jr. & the Impossibles, the two Shrek movies, The Incredibles, the Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo -- and I can go on and on.

Er...what was the subject of this thread about? [Confused]

Smeeb: 'Wings of honey & mayonnaise' probably looks and sounds better. [Wink]

Smeeb!
Member # 67

We should make a parody called Wings of Honey-mayonaise. And another anime called..oh..i dunno. Mustard crystal Z.
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Wings of Honneamise is one film I have wanted to see for years, but I have not yet seen. I refuse to watch the wretched transfer on the Region-1 DVD released by Manga Entertainment. The better the film, the more I want to see it in the best condition possible.

I figure I'll eventually buy the Region-2 DVD, but I keep hoping someone will remaster the Region-1 DVD.

--------------------
 -

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever need assistance getting the R2, gimme a email, Jen. I live in the UK and can send it over.

@Smeeb - that is the WORST DUB EVAH!!11! Got to love the sudden music video. What's not to love?

Still, it's got better direction than some of the stuff I've seen coming out of certain networks of late... I saw an episode of Totally Spies the other day which had direction SO BAD they crossed the line about three times in under a minute. Let alone the animation. Talk about relying on voicework...

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Follow-up... I may actually have to sue you Smeeb. I may have damaged something from laughing at "my bunghole itches because I'm a girl"... YOU CAN'T WRITE THAT KINDA COMEDY! It's actually some kind of twisted genius... I mean... seriously... I feel like someone has rubbed both sugar and crack into my eyes whilst simultaneously aiming a blowtorch at them with a school of 4 year olds screaming in my ears... crazy...

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Smeeb!
Member # 67

watch it twice. youll feel completely bizarre. like a atom bomb victim wandering the blown up streets..
eboles
IE # 266
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eboles   Email eboles         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I think Smeeb is missing the genius of Poemy. That's the funniest thing I've seen all year. I don't know how accurate the translation is, but it isn't any more bizarre than what's going on visually.
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

It's the ultimate surrealist Japanese cartoon. More surreal than that brilliant cat film... Cat Soup... in a different way, of course. I've never seen or heard anything quite like this before.

Who's the target audience? The animators?

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Smeeb!
Member # 67

oh sure its funny for two minutes. then it gets annoying.
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Nobody's forcing you to watch it! It has its place. It's still highly imaginitive, if completely perverse and surreal, stuff. There's worse animé out there... this has something going for it, even if it 's a bit like smacking your face into a teddy made of bricks.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Tsurara
Member # 3212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tsurara   Email Tsurara         Edit/Delete Post 
Offbeat, you need to stop watching Dragon Ballz, and La Blue Girl. [Razz]

I would agree with everyone else, yes it's very cultural.

Also, if the story is a lil perverted/horror oriented etc, most Japanese children aren't sheltered and OVER protected like a lot of Americans were (I am Japanese, so I wasn't raised sheltered) "ZOMG! It's a transexual/lesbian/gay guy/zomg it's a furry! and so on." It's very much based on Cultural differences. Also, a lot is lost in translation, which is why you watch subtitles (stop being lazy!).

I would agree on the OP, Full Metal Alchemist is a very awesome show, so much action/emotion (it has a high budget, but look who produces it! Square Enix), it's made me cry on a few occasions (just like any really good RPG with good Character development, Final Fantasy series anyone?). If you were to sit and watch an anime Series, I would go with Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Beebop (which is like 26 Eps), Wolf's Rain. It's very true when you first start watching an anime series, it's kinda slow moving. After a few eps. It should start getting good. It's the same with Naruto.

Both FMA and Naruto are originaly Manga, if you don't want to deal with spread out story/filler episodes (which is where naruto is in Japan) I would stick with reading the Manga. Also FMA manga goes beyond the anime series.

Also with Anime series, you have to know what you want to watch OR what your friends are making you watch, IE:

Shonen Anime:More action, fighting oriented: Full Metal Alchemist, One Peice, Bleach, Pokemon, DBZ.. and so on.

Bishonen Anime:More Girly, Drama, Romance and cutesy-ness, "Magical School girl-ish", Sailor Moon, Mermaid Pichi Pichi Pitch, Card Captor Sakura.

These types apply to Manga as well.

As for Feature Film Anime, Miyazaki's movies are great, also Check out Satoshi Kon's movies: Perfect Blue (very creepy), Tokyo Godfathers (hillarious and has a lot of drama), Millenum Actress. Those are all feature movies, for adults. He's the one who also made Paranoia Agent series.

If you want to compare American Animated Feature films, to Japanese ones...I would say there's no competition.

Do yourself a favor and go watch Grave of the Fireflies (if you haven't already).

Also in defense to Bo-bo-bo, it's lost in translation and also if you don't know anything about japanese culture you would NEVER "get it". I kick myself when ever I hear re-dubbed anime call Onigiri (rice balls) "Donuts" ETC.

Here's some good American Animated Series:

For Adults:

Aeon Flux
The Maxx
Reign: The Conqueror
Venture Brothers
Metalocalypse (Metal Rules all!)

Kid's Shows that adults can enjoy:

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Ed, Edd and Eddy
Gargoyles (first 2 seasons)
Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles (the newer one)

Tsurara
Member # 3212

quote:
if you think animae is so damn great, i dare you to watch PUNI PUNI POEMY. Ten seconds of that will give you a headache. Watching it all will make your head EXPLODE.

Watch that, and then tell me anime is "great art" that is "well written"

Oh yeah, cause "12 ouns Mouse" is such GREAT American Cartoon!

You can't pick at the faults of ONE anime and say the whole Genre is poorly written. If you did that, then you'd have to say all American animation is poorly written because of 12 ouns mouse, Squid billies, and Perfect hair forever.

quote:
To better illustrate my point, take the film POM POKO. Yes, the movie where raccoon-dogs make their testicles swell up to ten times their normal size and beat humans with their scrotums. ( Whoa! )

Believe it or not, it makes sense. Japanese are familiar with the legends of raccoons with bulging balls *snicker* It's THIER culture.

"Bulging Balls" AKA Kintama (golden Racoon Balls) are a part of our culture! You always see statues of racoons with big balls. There's real stories with racoons that do amazing things with their Kintama. They are mythological tales from Japan. I bet your ANYTHING if you go to downtown LA, to Little tokyo, and ask if they have any racoon statues, they will have balls on them, OK?
It's not a sick thing, it's WELL known most animals have big balls. It's not a weird perverted thing.

Japan doesn't have a forcefull religion that makes genetalia "gross" and "wrong" so you should never talk about it, or look at it or draw it, even if it's on an animal. Go to a pet store and tell me Rats don't have huge balls. It's a fact of life.

Also Pom Poko isn't just about "LOLZ0rrz Bawls" or "LOLZ He just pwnd him with his testies!!!1" it has a deeper meaning to it than just what you see in the first few minutes of the movie. It's a deep and meaningful story, and children SHOULD watch it, unless of course the child is, I will quote OFFBEAT "Lame".

quote:
Oh btw. I chose to bring up POM POKO because i saw it at...WALMART! Yes! Where it could easily be mistaken for any CHILDS CARTOON! They sure as hell didn't feature any magic testes on the cover *snicker*
It's a kids movie, Disney put the OK on it, that's why it's on DVD. So, if you think it's such a horrible movie, attack Disney for putting it in Walmart.

All you ever need to know about Tanuki (Raccoon Dogs)

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it's WELL known most animals have big balls
I did not know that.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
No line by line responses please. Rules of Conduct link at upper left of forum window.

--------------------
 -

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like this thread has devolved into a senseless arguement over cultural idiosincracies.

This reminds me a lot of "...My dad can kick your dad's butt because..." kind of argument!

Oh... by the way - the animation world is a lot bigger than Japan, the US, and Canada.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Tsurara
Member # 3212

Yes, Animation goes beyond Japan and the US and canada. But the main topic of this thread is Japanese and American cartoons.
Vaughan
IE # 145
Member # 2968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vaughan   Email Vaughan         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone looking for a well written Japanese cartoon should check out Mushishi-available for download from the Fansub groups Anbu and C1. It's about this guy that travels the japanese countryside studying these strange phenomenoms called Mushi. I think it's the only 26 episode series I've seen where each episode is a self contained story.

Anyway, yeah Japanese studios do have a wider range of topics to toy around with. I'm sure american animators could come up with equally creative stuff but I guess there just isn't enough money in it. [Frown]

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012