AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » PowerPuff Girls Z? Are you kidding me???

Author Topic: PowerPuff Girls Z? Are you kidding me???
Smeeb!
Member # 67

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Smeeb!           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for real??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8mBZFd3PA&search=Demashitaa%21%20Powerpuff%20Girls%20Z%20 Episode%201

IP: Logged
Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Heard about this a year or more ago.
Smeeb!
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smeeb!           Edit/Delete Post 
My mistake.
Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? It looks fun!

--------------------
 -

Cartoons for the Common Man!

Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
Caught a couple of episodes thanks to the folks at Animesuki & the wonders og BitTorrent. It's... not horrible, but it doesn't have the same flavor as the original show. I'm surprised that CN didn't announce from the start that they will be importing the show, but perhaps that will come soon.
Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's real. Here's the official web site.
SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks cute to me. I can think of worse ways to spin off a series.
I'm sure it also pays for Craig's house!

Go McCrakens

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Easy Zee
Member # 3201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Easy Zee   Author's Homepage   Email Easy Zee         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an atrocity of art! An abomination of animation! I realize there is a lot of really good anime out there. But I this is just stereotypical, generic, mindless crap. They did not adapt the power puff girls into a Japanese anime, they just tacked on stuff that doesn’t fit, belts, rings, gadgets, they transform? What is this sailor moon? It is anime paint by numbers. All the cliché anime stuff, just substitute the power puff girls in as the main characters. It could be sailor moon, or you can substitute sailor moon with the power puff girls. Or you can substitute the power puff girls with teen titans and call it teen titan z, or maybe buffy the vampire slayer, and call it buffy z. There was no thought here as to what the power puff girls IS all about. It may be a bit fun, it may be a bit cool, for a while anyway, but it is not well though, it is simply stupid.
SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think the Z refers to Dragonball and Dragonball Z.
Dragonball is Goku's ( protaganonist) years from childhood through adolescence and DragonballZ is Goku adult life into maturity---Saiyan style of course!

I love Akira Toriyama!

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy Zee: It could be worse... in fact, is has been, no?
 -

--------------------
 -

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
I only watched the intro, but it's funny how entertainment can work: US series inspired by anime leads to anime series spin-off.

Just like the Street Fighter The Movie video game made from digitized actors, based off of the live action movie- based off of the original video game.

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

Easy Zee
Member # 3201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Easy Zee   Author's Homepage   Email Easy Zee         Edit/Delete Post 
Touché Scotty. You got me. The LOONATICS, whatever it's called, is much worse. But that doesn't make power puff girls z right. Was the original Power Puff Girls not successful in Asian markets? Is that why they had to do this to it? Is that all it takes to crack the Asian market? Just add a super cute little pet, a transformation sequence, a few other anime clichés, to just about any idea and BANG! You got yourself a hit!
Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Powerpuff Girls is one of the few shows that actually pushed merchandise for Cartoon Network (though Ben 10 is now closing the gap). That's why this exists. As long as they can sell toys they'll do whatever they can to extend its shelf life, they want to keep the 'brand' around forever. They intend on doing more Japanese projects too, at least two a year.
MutantPenguin
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MutantPenguin   Email MutantPenguin         Edit/Delete Post 
What they have hands? Heh. This seemed like a joke at first. But it's real. Loses pretty much all of the appeal of the original show. The thing about the original show that was funny was the over the top violence that these cute characters did, and the utter stupidity of other characters. And what's with the Mayor of Townsville? He seems like he's reasonably intelligent?!? He was my favorite character on the orignal show. I also liked the fact they had no fingers, and the little jokes they played w/ that. Like when Blossom is in the professors body and can't figure out how to pick the phone up (it doesn't stick!?).

I have seen 'anime-style' Power-puff girls before, and done better, in a fan-comic, by Bleedman who incoropates almost all of the CN charcaters into one world. He pulls it of well. If your interested the site is: http://bleedman.snafu-comics.com/

Powerfpuff Girls was really popular in Japan! Where the 'kawaii'-(cuteness)-factor is big bussiness. As Charles has said before, 'Cute sells!' and in Japan it does big time.

Before Dragonball Z there was, Z (Zeta) Gundam back in 1985, which seems to be the one to set the trend. (Although I think there was a 'Sentai', Power Ranger type, show that might have done it first.) The Z represents, the end all, or final evolution of... However Z Gundam was quickly followed by ZZ Gundam. (Dragonball Z started with the introduction of Goku's son Gohan, and was about his youth. I think they should have kept the trend and made it Dragonball ZZ when Goten was introduced.)

I wouldn't think of this as 'the grown up' poerpuff girls, it's more of an altrenate reality, like the many universes of Tenchi Muyo.

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the point I was trying to make Penguin with the analogy of DBZ. The Z is usually the transition to the next stage in life and the series. The PPG were kindergarteners in the orignal cartoons and now they're Z to mark their preteen years. Just like DBZ did with Goku's coming of age and eventual adulthood and maturity.
I love the way Toriyama ended DBZ. Now Goku gets to give back and be the master of a potentially dangerous yet good-hearted young disciple just like he was: a potential threat who was turned around in a postive way by good mentors.Good series. I don't care what anyone on this board thinks. We're all entitled to our opinions, Negative and otherwise.
Which brings me back to PPGZ. Yes, they have their "tent pole" elements like Sailor Moon transformations, but give it a chance---if the series lasts long enough, perhaps there will be enough love put into to it to make it special with that PPG charm. It'll be different, but still fun.

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Easy Zee
Member # 3201

The character motivations in this anime version of PPG is non existent. Stuff just happens for no reason. All the personality and character has been removed from the girls and from mojo and even the professor. I do realize there is cultural difference to factor in, but I can not figure out the story of the first episode. Why is mojo putting children in a cage? Why does he stop to eat ice cream with the PPG? What does the ice cream have anything to do with the story? The final fight scene with mojo and the PPG was completely anti climactic and boring. Mojo wants to eat all the candy so he can grow into a giant mojo and take over the world? That just makes no sense whatsoever. Why would candy do that? He should have been giving kids candy so they get all hyper and then have a bad sugar crash, leaving them tired and lethargic. Then he can do something like take over because everyone is too burnt out to stop him. That would have made more sense. I also do not like the sailor moon transformations, and I hate that the girls have weapons. Like I said, it is just a bunch of stuff that happens for no reason. This is not story telling.
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stuff just happens for no reason... the girls have weapons...
I wasn't interested in the POWER PUFF TWEENS before, but now I must download this. You make it sound so cool...
Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
Stuff happens for no reason??
The whole second half of the episode looked like it was devoted to why and how and when they can transform, (with that dog Peach's help? Yikes.) and how why and when they can use their weapons. That's something I really disliked about it. They over explained it.
And the Mayor was silly, and not in a good way.

--------------------
 -

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Blech.

This cartoon is deeply irritating, repulsive and boring. Couldn't sit through it all. Didn't bother looking at episode 2. Remarkably horrible. LOONATICS was actually more watchable than this thing.

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
the thing that totally diturbs me is the sex'n up of KINDEGARDENERS. i watched the first ep there on youtube and one of the guys still refered to them as such.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

I thought they were preteens in the anime.

--------------------

www.hipchickcomics.com

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i was thinking that too, but then there was a line of dialog expressly saying "kindgarden". creeped me out!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the thing that totally diturbs me is the sex'n up of KINDEGARDENERS. i watched the first ep there on youtube and one of the guys still refered to them as such.
It's creepy but sadly it's not the first time...

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/ppgstyle/

Noogy
IE # 18
Member # 705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noogy   Email Noogy         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't care for Powerpuff Girls, but even if I did I prefer this anime. In fact, I love the style and animation, although that's just my anime preference in television animation. I had artwork from this show as my background for a short while.

--------------------
-Dean Dodrill

-

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012