AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » "Monster House" opinions?

Author Topic: "Monster House" opinions?
Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
I had been working on the assumption that most professionals here were hostile to "Monster House" because it uses motion capture. But I just saw the review of it by Ebert and Roeper and they fell over themselves praising it. Roeper even asserted that MH should win the Best Animated Feature Oscar. So I wanted to ask, are people here actually looking forward to this movie's debut, or are people hostile to it like I thought? If "Monster House" winds up a Monster Hit, will people here welcome that, or decry it as mo-cap threatens the animation artform?

Me, I'm not a pro and so my opinion is unsophisticated, I'm afraid. Judging from only the trailers, I think the animation for the house itself actually looks pretty good, and imagery from the house's inside looks as scary as it should. The characters are mo-capped, but they don't look like the pseudo human zombies in the awful "Polar Express". Instead they look like run of the mill Tim Burton knockoffs. Unremarkable, but OK, and "Polar Express" showed that they could've been a lot worse.

IP: Logged
Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't care too much about the technique used but the preview I have seen didn't really float my boat. I am entirely open to the possibility though that the preview didn't accurately convey the grandeur of the film that Ebert and Roeper have seen in it.
Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the same Ebert that gave “Tomb Raider” a thumbs up and the same Roeper praised “Coyote Ugly”?
Paid them no mind since. [tipsy]

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer too, and didn't see anything that would be worth a thumbs up so far, let alone worth advocating motion capture. The characters and their dialogue felt very recycled from other movies of this nature. Felt like I was watching a preview for an episode of Jimmy Neutron rather than an animated feature.

Also does Jon Heder have to play Napoleon Dynamite in every film he's in? I hoped Benchwarmers would've been the end of that.

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, Ebert gave Garfield 2 and Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift a thumbs up too, so...
intergalactic
IE # 195
Member # 1760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for intergalactic   Email intergalactic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that my fellow animation artists who worked on this had a chance to work on a large scale project and to actually be employed, this is a good thing.

When I saw the movie poster at Siggraph I was really excited, when I saw the trailer and the art direction I was really excited. When the characters started to move and speak I was so disappointed.

I'm sure this will open a can of worms but the long and short of it is this...

There's just something odd about using human actors movements to animate cartoon characters, I haven't even seen the movie yet but you can see it in the trailer. The movements and dialogue have a life less feel and the strange, it worked great for Gollum but it just doesn't seem to work for cartoon characters.

It really disappoints me that Sony isn't willing to spend the time to allow these incredibly talented animators the opportunity to actually hand animate the characters and not just clean up MoCap data.

By using Motion Capture Polar Express and Monster House fall short of allowing the character animators to bring what they do best to the big screen, in a word....ANIMATION!

My opinion.

...i

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

quote:
There's just something odd about using human actors movements to animate cartoon characters, I haven't even seen the movie yet but you can see it in the trailer. The movements and dialogue have a life less feel and the strange, it worked great for Gollum but it just doesn't seem to work for cartoon characters.

It really disappoints me that Sony isn't willing to spend the time to allow these incredibly talented animators the opportunity to actually hand animate the characters and not just clean up MoCap data.

By using Motion Capture Polar Express and Monster House fall short of allowing the character animators to bring what they do best to the big screen, in a word....ANIMATION!

My opinion.

I don't think it opens a can of worms, I think most people would agree here. I think the public will too. There's no emotion on the characters at all. The animation was really not much different than the motion capture used in video games and their cutscenes. Robotic, soulless. Completely NOT the animators fault. They deserved to animate it by hand.

I still don't get the benefit to motion-capture... motion capture studios are extremely expensive to shoot in, aren't they? Especially for a full length film. And then they end up having to clean up and fix all the mistakes they made anyway. And the films using it have had questionable success. Why do the studios bother?

Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, Ebert gave Garfield 2 a thumbs up
I believe it was sort of a reserved thumbs up (as opposed to an "enthusiastic" thumbs up) where he basically said, "At least it's a little better than the first one."
animator-boy
IE # 54
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animator-boy   Author's Homepage   Email animator-boy         Edit/Delete Post 
My thought from watching the trailer was pretty much "why isnt this live action with a CG house?" Why use mocap for animated human characters... when there are still plenty of real people around who can help ya out here.

Technique aside the movie looks like it could be fun in a Goonies-eque sorta way...

--------------------
www.raymation.net

Kevin
IE # 44
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin         Edit/Delete Post 
I echo everything Intergalactic wrote. I looks better than Polar Express, because they're taking a looser, more playful approach, but I thought the animation on the house itself completely blew away any of the character animation on the humans. I kept thinking, "If you're going to mo-cap actors, shouldn't you at least get some actors who are going to move and act in an interesting way?"

I'll bet the film is actually pretty good. It's a good, simple premise, and has plenty of potential for both comedy and fright. I just think the animation could have been pushed much further, and could have had a more integrated feel.

willryan
Member # 1708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willryan   Email willryan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guilty of rooting for Monster House: I'm secretly hoping it does well since the two guys responsible for the story put out an indy comic book a while back that I'd love to see resurrected. Here's to hoping both this and Kung-Fu Panda do well enough to bring back Scud: The Disposable Assassin in some fashion or form!
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
The house was mocap, too.

Here's the performer:

-

intergalactic
IE # 195
Member # 1760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for intergalactic   Email intergalactic         Edit/Delete Post 
lol

...i

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
my initial reaction was like everyone else's here. the action instantly looked stilted and betrayed the designs. there's one or two little takes in the commercial that are very subtle and look very nice ("are you both mentally challenged?" sneers the little girl). overall, it looks like a fun premise, but the mocap sticks out to me. im sure the laymen won't see a differnce...maybe?

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
-FP-
HA!!! Brilliant!!!! [funny] [Big Grin] [blush]

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that this film is very entertaining.

On a side note, I heard that they did put Kathleen Turner in a mocap suit at one point and actually did have her crawling around "being" the house! Would love to see footage of that!

Leo Santos
IE # 205
Member # 3142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leo Santos   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Santos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that, at some point, it all comes down to design issues. It's easy in CG to "apply" any kind of motion to any kind of model. But does it fit?

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the movie. Looks fun and well directed. Would I be more excited if it had been keyframed? Definitely, yes. It would fit the design better, the same way drawings are most of the time better than photographs in a comic book.

MoCap can be a cool "digital live action" tool in the future, with great visual possibilities and projects designed to fit the technique well. But it's a different creature than keyframe animation. Not sure whether Hollywood producers will understand that difference, though.

--------------------
http://www.leosantos.com

Doodles
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doodles   Email Doodles         Edit/Delete Post 
After watching the trailer for this thing a couple of times at the theatre just before Cars, I can sum up my interest as [puke]

I have a greater interest in shaving my genetaila with a cheese grater than watching that mess.

VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people I talk to that are not animators are telling me they can't wait to see this film. And that it looks really good.
Animators , and I am one, have more mixed feeling about the film.

I would prefer this film to be all keyframed. Good character animation is way more appealing. Some of the posters above have mentioned the house and some of the keyframing scenes.
The producers and director chose to spend their ressources to make this a mocap picture because They think it looks and feels better.
They beleive they have a unique looking film in the marketplace.

I know many here will disagree but
I am Curious to see how big an audience will turn out for the movie.

[Confused]

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Monster House will probably be a monster hit and once again, AN's lurkers will delight in a film's success after reading the negative comments.

--------------------
 -

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but think that, for people like us, celebrating an "animated" film like this is a bit like the indians welcoming the pilgrims to the "New World".

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't help but think that, for people like us, celebrating an "animated" film like this is a bit like the indians welcoming the pilgrims to the "New World".
If it makes you feel better...

Rotoscoping's been around for several decades, but folks still flocked to see the non-rotoscoped Lilo & Stitch.

Polar Express was a success at the box office, but it didn't kill the audience's appetite for the hand-keyed Ice Age 2, Over the Hedge and Cars.

I figure good animators will be still be in demand years from now, whether or not Monster House succeeds or fails.

[lamer]

--------------------
 -

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Floyd!
Also see frustrated animators just wanting to do their jobs that's all.
I mean that thread that was posted here on Run Away Brain, geez hadn’t been that nostalgic on anything like that in a long time. It was almost like finding & watching an old video cassette of a pet that passed away years earlier.

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I'm in agreement with Floyd.

Don't mean to bag on the movie's creators, but this isn't the animated medium moving forward.

animator-boy
IE # 54
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animator-boy   Author's Homepage   Email animator-boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting... many folks on this forum busted out the trumpets for Hoodwinked because it was "independent"..way to go Hoodwinked! The praise seemed to ignore the fact that the animation was outsourced....to me that is the greater danger to the industry..

I am by no means defending mocap o mation, however if you really want to be worried about something, be worried about your job going overseas....cheaper..faster...all that..

Just my opinion...

--------------------
www.raymation.net

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 7 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if anyone had mentioned this before, but, what bothers me is that the eyes on the characters are dead.
I don't mind the style, it makes me think of Encylcopedia Brown, Magic Tree House and the work of the Hoban's, but please, give the eyes and the rest of the supporting features some life.
I do hope Sony improves it's technique and finally come into stride. Dreamworks did so with its hipness for Madagascar. Therefore, I'm really hopeful that Sony's distonctive vision will truly shine one day soon.

Keep trying Sony crew!

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Scarlett
Member # 3183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scarlett   Email Scarlett         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with other members on here in that it should have been live action with a CG House, but the premise itself is just weak. What are people thinking these days!!??
Kion
IE # 130
Member # 700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kion   Author's Homepage   Email Kion         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from watching 3d monster house, pretty cool movie. I think it works well, It reminded me of Monster Squad ,Goonies( both movies were my childhood favorites "classic"). For mocap "animation" at times it didn't look right but the most part it didn't bother me and I think it was a good fit for the movie, the general public won't notice. I was also thinking that the film should have been live action but after seeing I think animation was the right choice. Its way different from most cg animated films out now. I've said this before all cg films should be in 3d, its so friggin cool. If your interested you should go see it. I think kids will love it. Dare i say it might "might" be a cult classic like goonies or monster squad. I had fun watching it!

--------------------
www.naughtydog.com

Kion
IE # 130
Member # 700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kion   Author's Homepage   Email Kion         Edit/Delete Post 
On second thought I'm on the fence about the animation, i guess the most important thing is that it works, i mean i don't want to settle for crap but i wouldn't say the animation was crap,arrrrg I need to got to sleep.

--------------------
www.naughtydog.com

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Monster House. I really enjoyed it, a fantastic kids flick with a sharp script adults can enjoy and a lovely surreal edge to the design. I've heard it compared to 80's kids flicks like The Goonies and I'd say that comparasion is justified... Certainly, it's got smarts and a dark streak that makes it feel a bit like "Gilliam for children" - even more so than the fun but slightly lacking Gilliam-directed Brothers Grimm!

Although... yeah, as it did in The Polar Express, the mocap got in the way for me - as an adult. The characters, although visually beautifully rendered, often took me out because they tipped off the edge into uncanny-valley territory. Not cartoony enough to be cartoons, I think what does it is the "looseness" of Mocap, wherein they don't feel properly jointed, and the almost complete lack of facial extremes. People don't react or act quite as they should do, and as such... professionally I think it lacks detail.

This can be seen particularly when characters are panicked or, most jarringly, when the Mum is fussing over her son at the beginning. Yes, it really bothered me that her face wasn't matching the voice. Cartoons NEED to feel LIKE cartoons, otherwise they're not cartoons. More so than some realistic animé (in particular that of Satoshi Kon), where I can appreciate the technical and artistic effort but understand the criticism... I think that the lack of emotion in some places played against it. It's not a film that requires subtlety, yet the technique is subtle. Whereas Kon pushes his realistic characters in Tokyo Godfathers, for example, into extremes to add emotion, Monster House fails to take any advantage of the possibility of letting go.

EXCEPT... in the case of the house itself, which is utterly remarkable and displays far more range than any of the kids. The rest of the movie beyond that is far more dependent on the script, the marvellous ideas and some brilliant voiceacting. But I don't think that's enough.

Mocap does feel like a shortcut... and to me Monster House, although an excellent kids film that adults can enjoy, didn't really go as far visually as the script went... and as such, a nagging part of me feels that there's a bit of a lost opportunity for greatness.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

rdelgado
Member # 552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdelgado   Email rdelgado         Edit/Delete Post 
How come the house chases the kids around suburbia without a single person hearing the noise and coming out to help?

Loved the art direction and the basic scenario, but the plot holes and humanizing of the villain worked against the story. Cool stuff, but more of a brunch than a full course.

Ricardo Delgado

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How come the house chases the kids around suburbia without a single person hearing the noise and coming out to help
People probably looked out the window, saw the commotion, and pulled the blinds. Didn't want to get involved. That house might have been a gang member, in the kind of gang that kills witnesses. Better safe than sorry. Too bad about the kids, but feckem. They make too much noise all the time anyway.
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the humanisation of the villain, it added a depth I've not seen since The Iron Giant in some ways. Gave it an emotional core beyond being a monster story.

I guess different people take different things.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
I too just barely saw "Monster House".

I was excited to see it because it really looks promising.

I wanted to like it....I tried to like it.....

Frankly, it just looks cool. Story didn't do it for me at all.
In fact, most recent 3d films are total eye candy. Stunning in art direction, layout, rendering etc....but the storyline falls flat every time. (ex: over the hedge)

I buy movies because of the stories they tell. Visuals are more secondary.

To me, it was barely worth the dollar rental.

dev-

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

eboles
IE # 266
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eboles   Email eboles         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't the total package, but I did find it superior to certain key framed animated features this year.

The mocap is strange at first, but you get used to it. It doesn't get in the way of the story. I don't think films like this are a major threat to keyframe animating, I think it's more like another sub-medium that can only add to the visual variety of what's on offer. Most of the animated movies we are getting these days are of the Pixar/Dreamworks cg mold. It's good to have the occasional mocap, 2d, stop-motion and rotoscope movies as well.

My main reservations were to do with Monster House were to do with the story-telling and how things were resolved towards the end. Overall the film was a welcome change of pace.

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Oh yeah, the film itself - - -

It was all right. If I'd seen it when I was ten years old, it would have blown the top of my head off. The twilight-hour/early-evening setting, the big scary danger, the kid interplay...it woulda been great to see MONSTER HOUSE a bunch of years ago.

But... I saw it recently. The revelation of the house's origin struck me as "yucky" and sort of negated most appeal the film had up to then. It would have been cooler if no reason was given, if the house just went crazy and did stuff. The lack of motion blur was drivin' me nuts with the parking brake on. Buscemi's voice wasn't working for me. Mocap neither helped nor hindered, which is proper, I suppose.

Two thumbs sideways.

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the part where they started saying "brains!"

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
Just announced this morning :

HOLLYWOOD FOREIGN PRESS ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCED THE NOMINATIONS FOR THE 64TH GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

CARS
Walt Disney Pictures/Pixar Animation Studio; Buena Vista Pictures Distribution

HAPPY FEET
Kingdom Pictures, LLC; Warner Bros. Pictures/Village Roadshow Pictures

MONSTER HOUSE
Columbia Pictures; Sony Pictures Releasing

Cool
[thumbsup]

Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it, and thought it was pretty cool.
what grabbed me was the way the house became "haunted".
Just the sort of creepiness you need in a Halloween movie.
The animation wasn't overwhelming, yet it all worked.
Kudos to anyone here who worked on it.

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012