AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Pee-Wee's Playhouse onCartoonNetwork? NO!!!!!

Author Topic: Pee-Wee's Playhouse onCartoonNetwork? NO!!!!!
Smeeb!
Member # 67

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Smeeb!           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I know I'm a rabblerouser, and I know I can sometimes over-react to things. But I really do believe Cartoon Network is trying to kill us. By raising our collective blood pressure...

They are going to run Pee-Wee's Playhouse on Adult Swim. Saved by the Bell was bad enough, and PWPH is certainly an awesome show. Who DOESN"T like PeeWee?

BUT...

PWPH is NOT a cartoon. It's like a cartoon. But it isn't a cartoon. Cartoon Network, should show cartoons. Shows drawn by a pencil or to a lesser extent, made in a computer.

Am I nuts to be so upset?

IP: Logged
q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
But Pee Wee always had animated clips IN the program, the clay animation stuff "Penny" that Broadcast Arts did (now Curious Pictures) and
some old great classics and other random clips.

Did you know Paul Ruebens attended
the California Institute of the Arts (enrolled as an acting major)

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's a bad idea to show live-action stuff on a cartoon network.

But Pee-Wee is a special case. It is partially animated. The live action is directed and edited in a style that's very close to an antic cartoon. Beyond the obvious monstrous appeal of the first season of show, it has a lot of nasty cool famous baggage, and some not so famous. That blunts any obnoxious "messages" the show may have pretended to have for kids. Season 2 and beyond were sort of crappy, but there are good moments scattered around in there.

Anyway, it is my firm legal opinion that Pee Wee does not violate the animated sanctity of Adult Swim. I cannot say the same for Adult Swim's planned September 2006 rebroadcasts of old Dr. Phil shows.

australopith
IEcm
Member # 2746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for australopith   Email australopith         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you're not wrong.

The CN programmers are, to the best of my knowledge, working under an order to add live-action programming, regardless of whether or not there is any actual demand for it: this is about proving an exec right that live action is what the public wants.
The ONLY way they can get an otherwise critical audience to look past the fact that it's live action is by appealing to 1980s nostalgia, which we all know trumps all capacity for critical thinking.

Smeeb!
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smeeb!           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like a jerk for oppsing this. Pee Wee is tha man. He's always been cool. It HURTS to say he shouldn't beon cartoon Network. But like I said before, its ALMOST a cartoon. ALMOST, isn't enough for me.
Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
It belongs on Boomerang as a means of preservation, certainly. I don't know about CN. Or Adult Swim for that matter. They're baiting people with childhood memories so that the ratings will "prove" the executives were right for developing live action series. It's a suckerpunch.
Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
Not our network, dude. [Smile]

I would rather watch the cartoons on Comedy Central. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Semaj
Member # 3131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semaj   Email Semaj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of the few from my generation who HAVEN'T seen or heard much of Pee Wee's Playhouse.

Maybe this is a call for an 80's nostalgia network...

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Pee Wee's Playhouse did feature a character called "King of Cartoons", right? Does anyone know, was Paul Reubens at CalArts at the same time as Tim Burton?

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, once again I hate to once again start agreeing (I swear sometimes it feels we're largely a bunch of negative posters on here at times), but I have to somewhat agree that CN is losing what it once was.

It's like when MTV began to transform from Music Television. It used to be that MTV would show myriad music videos, but nowadays, you're hardpressed to find videos from all different music genres. Besides, what's so musical about 'The Real World?'

but while I admit that Pee-Wee doesn't quite belong on CN, I wish there was some retro channel that would showcase stuff like Pee-Wee and other shows from the 80's that you can't find anymore.

I first encountered the acrimoniousness of liveaction/animated fare when I tuned into CN over the last Christmas Break and found one of my favorite films, 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit.' While Roger is animated, the film to me does not feel like it should be on CN. And to make matters worse, I swear they cut it's running time by 1/4. It was like some punk kid in the projection booths cutting out every 10th scene.

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

Smeeb!
Member # 67

i'll say it again. It's...not....a...cartoon.
MutantPenguin
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MutantPenguin   Email MutantPenguin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's NOT a cartoon. For what it is worth, I used to like Pee Wee's Playhouse, but I don't think it belongs on the cartoon network. Though having cartoons in it makes it more worthy of airing on the Cartoon Network then Tim Burton's Batman, Small Soldiers, Jumanji, and Saved by the Bell. Even if you consider comic/cartoon connections, and major computer animation special effects as factors how the @#$!!% did Saved by the Bell get on that list??? What the hell are they thinking!?

They really could invest teir money better then buying the right to air those shows by funiding some new projects, or by investing in some old rarley seen animation, like the Mr magoos 1001 nights. Or in a lot of the old (or new) Anime out there, and get better audience results too.

mbaker
Member # 2012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbaker   Email mbaker         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that 'Pee-Wee's Playhouse' has animation most of the time dose give it a somewhat small excuse for it to air on Cartoon Network. (Unlike 'Saved By The Bell') Having said that, i'm still not sure if it really dose have a place on Cartoon Network. However, they did air 'The Banana Splits' many years earlier, which was live action, but featured cartoons as well.

I do find it funny that Paul Reubens was a graduate at Cal Arts graduate. Along with Tim Burton, and Cartoon Network star creator Craig McCracken. (Powerpuff Girls/Fosters) Now i've been livid at Toon Disney for airing 'Power Rangers' on their schedule, and if we're not too careful, they might start aring junk like 'Lizzie McGuire', and 'That's So Raven' in the future.(shudder)

Smeeb!
Member # 67

I should probably point out..that they DID make a JUMANJI cartoon, but do they show it? No! They show the live-action movie version instead. I don't get it.
Methuselah
IE # 148
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah   Email Methuselah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do find it funny that Paul Reubens was a graduate at Cal Arts graduate. Along with Tim Burton, and Cartoon Network star creator Craig McCracken. (Powerpuff Girls/Fosters)
And virtually the entire artistic staff of PPG and CN, not to mention about 70% of all animation people working everywhere else. [Wink]
q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=611B673EB3D2C2C3

Hey noW!!!! I was looking for some Penny CArtoons and Look what I found.
A Pee Wee_Love Fest on YouTube!

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Just now (2:30 AM) I was up finishing a job and saw, for the first time, the PEE WEE show on Adult Swim.

The ENTIRE Mark Mothersbaugh/Cindy Lauper theme song is cut out. It's not shortened - it's gone! That sucks. All that's left is the intro Playhouse fly-around with the Martin Denny-inspired score by Mothersbaugh.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012