AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Cartoon Network's Live Action Delima

Author Topic: Cartoon Network's Live Action Delima
mbaker
Member # 2012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbaker   Email mbaker         Edit/Delete Post 
From Cartoon Brew

quote:
I received this email from a former Cartoon Network artist, who prefers to remain anonymous but has worked on a number of their projects and speaks frequently to people working there today (both execs and artists). He offers some perceptive thoughts about the network's "swindling of the viewership" and why CN is adding more and more live-action to its schedule.

I would like to start by thanking you for your dogged coverage of Cartoon Network's baffling new programming slate. This issue demands the exposure you are giving it. Bravo.
I've worked on and off for Cartoon Network for many years in Atlanta, New York, and LA, and I keep in touch with many friends at the Williams Street compound in Atlanta. Friends who have a front row seat of this swindling of the viewership. The troubling thing to me, at this point, is that I have not yet read the real logic fueling this hackneyed shift in programming.

It's about money.

Cartoon Network is showing properties that they buy CHEAP and then broadcast sandwiched between original programming. Then they charge the same advertising rates. Buying cheap and selling at a premium is something that started on the Toonami program years ago. DragonBall Z and the other anime series they slotted were all purchased for next to nothing and yet still pulled in the highest ratings of their entire schedule when shown during the afterschool slot.

I do not know what residuals are due to the creators of shows from their past that are not being shown (Courage The Cowardly Dog, Cow & Chicken, Johnny Bravo, etc), but the price of broadcasting Saved By The Bell repeats is less of a bill for them.

When everyone seems to be completely flummoxed at these changes at the network, I feel compelled to impart what I am quite sure is the real inspiration behind this programming boondoggle: Cartoon Network is simply not bringing in any real money at their channel. There is no merchandise on the market for their shows, there are no fast food toy promos, and there is not any national advertising. (Cartoon Network advertises in LA and NYC only with hopes that the advertising traffic agencies located in those two cities will assume it is nationwide.)

I don't think it is mere conjecture to state that this newest move by the network is a grim sign of the state of affairs there. Expect a major shake up in the near future. They have been reeling since Betty Cohen stepped down.

IP: Logged
Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
No advertising except LA and NY?

I beg to differ on that one. I live in the Windy City, and I recall all the bus and El train ads for Teen Titans, Foster's Home, Ben 10, Hihi Puffi AmiYumi, and more.

Merchandise, huh? Well, I've set aside some funds for when (and if) they finally release Dexter's Lab and Foster's Home as Season 1-type Boxsets.
Besides, what about those figures and stuff from The Powerpuff Girls several years ago? They had a pretty good merchandising extraveganza with those three. Plus, I'm still finding Teen Titans stuff, and supposedly Ben 10 is getting some toys.

Hmm, 'Saved by the Bell' repeats? Next thing you know, it'll be 'Full House.' And then, it'll be 'Mr Belvedere.' And then, 'The Facts of Life!'

[bawling]

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
A BLOG excerpt:
Animated Discussions

Last week Adult Swim held their "upfront" meetings with advertisers, and unveiled their plans for the coming year. Since splitting off from Cartoon Network for ratings purposes, Adult Swim has ranked number one in the key 18- to 34-year-old male demographic. At the upfront meeting, executives at the network were mum on rumors that Adult Swim would completely split off from Cartoon Network and either be launched as a new channel, or move from Cartoon Network to Time Warner sister channels Boomerang or TBS. While they bring in a lot of advertising dollars, Adult Swim's "TV MA" programming is keeping Cartoon Network from being offered on the "family tiers" proposed by many cable and satellite systems. Given Adult Swim's ratings base, the only move that would make sense would be for them to move to TBS, so that they wouldn't lose a sizable chunk of their available viewers.

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Let your voices be heard:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/feedback/index.html

Maybe if enough people let them know what they think, they will reverse their decision? Maybe not, but it's worth a shot.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my day.. you paid for cable because it was commercial free.

Seeing commercials drives me crazy.. especially when i'm paying for it.

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I pay for DirecTV because my neighbors disconnected their cable.
mbaker
Member # 2012

Another factor in all this is the fact that Mike Lazzo is no longer in charge of the networ's entire programing schedule. He just runs the Adult Swim block over at William Street.
mbaker
Member # 2012

Also, Cartoon Network dosen't get the revenu generated by shows like 'Teen Titans', or 'Justice League' because those shows are produced by Warner Bros. Not Cartoon Network Studios, or William Street. Which is strange since Time Warner owns Warner Bros, and Cartoon Network.
Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Live action isn't a sign of the grim state of affairs, rather a symptom of the state it's been in for some time. I'm sure there will be a shake up -- I'm just unsure as to what will be there when the dust settles. Will it change to a general kids network like Nickelodeon or try to get back to its roots as a network for ANYONE that enjoys animation (not just "kids" and "adults", segregated).
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring back "Danger Island"...

Uh Oh Chongo!!!

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
"Back in my day.. you paid for cable because it was commercial free.

Seeing commercials drives me crazy.. especially when i'm paying for it."

Yeah, I don't understand that. When my family got cable when I was 12 or 13 everyone said, "Hey, it's better because even though you're paying for it there are no commercials." So why in the world do they have commercials now? I guess the obvious answer is "Because now the stations have two ways to make money," but if anybody knows a more in-depth answer than that then please illuminate us.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012