AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » How do animate draw digitally on a Wacom?

Author Topic: How do animate draw digitally on a Wacom?
jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually did OK w/ a bit of animation on the Cintiq Wacom, but it took 5 times the effort to go from rough to cleanup.

On paper I can traceback, quickly figure proportions, etc. On the tablet/monitor, it seems almost impossible.

Thanks-

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

IP: Logged
jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Still no edit feature for typos, eh? Oh well.

--------------------
My game art & animation-

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what program you are using, but Flash has onion skinning option which might help.. [Confused]

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

Rupert Piston
IE # 175
Member # 2875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rupert Piston   Author's Homepage   Email Rupert Piston         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeff:

It's taken me some time to get used to it, but I didn't start out knowing how to draw too great either, so my continued practice with a pencil really helped my work with a Wacom.

I had a Graphire 4x5 for a long time, and this year got a 6x8 on Ebay for thirty bucks. Love it. I can use my whole arm much better.

What took me the longest was learning to use pressure sensetivity. I'm no pro (literally), but at this point I hardly use paper for any but storyboard and development.

Like I said, I'm no pro, but I like where it's going for me. It impresses my students, anyway... [Big Grin]

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 14 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using a Cintiq doing board cleanup, and I'd never, ever worked paperless(on the job) before!I really love it! So silky- smooth compared to my little Graphire! Sure, it really takes some getting used to as it is a whole new tactile process;but if I had the 2500 clams to spare, I'd buy one NOW.

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
jeff, i'm assuming you're using flash to animate in? drawing in flash is very cumbersome, and works against you. the line you draw is not going to be the line that flash renders, but it can be done. it deffinately takes some getting used to. here's a few tips and some words of encouragement:

keep a model sheet on a guide layer undernieth your roughs. scale it to match the size of the character you're working with. hide the layer on and off to get what you need. another thing to remember is you're working digitally...let the computer trace back for you! copy and paste parts (like a particular hand, or even an entire head) and manipulate them frame to frame altering it as needed. remember to work in groups when doing this. one other thing i see flash beginers do is have a million layers when they're roughing. that just seems so confusing to me if all you're doing is roughing out. keep it simple and only limit it at first to a few layers.

good luck!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks- especially ganklin. I was doing just that (copy/paste of parts to keep proportions, then line trace/manipulation for clean).

Working indie right now, but w/enough practice, may end up in a specific Bay Area business-

--------------------
My game art & animation-

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of other things about Flash which might be of some use to you, Jeff.

In addition to using a model sheet on a guide layer and onion skinning, you can set up the workspace so that with the rulers are visible. At the very least having the rulers allows for setting up Guide Lines on the stage.

Another visual trick which I think plays off of what Ganklin recommends about working in groups:

If you are tracing over something, create a layer in between that layer and the one you are drawing in. Create a rectangle over the entire stage and fill it with a 10-40%* white then lock that layer.

That mask or skin, if you will, dims the layer(s) beneath it and serves one of the purposes or uses of Grouping. It is just an alternative which is sometimes useful.

*whatever opacity works best for your needs.

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Flash is a bitch for drawing into. It not only doesn't render pencil strokes correctly, but brush strokes as well. It's just something you'll have to live with. Keep your hand by the CTRL-Z shortcut at all times. In a perfect world Macromedia would fix stuff like this but I guess they care more about companies that make "SHOOT THE BASKETBALL IN THE HOOP TO WIN" ad banners than animators.

Something that should help is if you select areas of a line there are Smooth/Straighten buttons that can help clean them up, but don't get too dependent on them cause they're not that great; plus you'd start to lose the energy/personality of the drawing.. that's just my feeling, anyway.

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
It may've been on another site but I've commented before on how taping down my tablet with double sided tape has helped my line Q in Flash 10x better. That said, what Matt Wilson says is true. Not only that but when using brush ya hafta make sure you are in the same screen magnification for a consistent brush.
WOuld love the opportunity to use a cintiq everyday to learn and get better at it.

Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I enjoy working with it, Flash really ain't the best for tight drawing and animating.
I use Toon Boom Studio also, and it handles lines much better. The line you draw doesn't wobble around after you lift your pen like it will in Flash.
(I've got my name on a waiting list for a Cintiq too. Can't wait!)

--------------------
 -

Cartoons for the Common Man!

Noogy
IE # 18
Member # 705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noogy   Email Noogy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never adapted to drawing with a wacom. I do all my painting with it, and have used it for years, but I can never get to the point where I'm comfortably inking cels with it. I guess I could get it deep with vector tools and so forth, but I'd rather just ink on paper.

I have, however, considered using those little digital pens that record all your strokes and put them in the computer.

--------------------
-Dean Dodrill

-

Steve Piscopo
Member # 3257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Piscopo   Email Steve Piscopo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a wacom at work but find it hard uncomfortable to work with (may be due to the small size and being a Graphite). I prefer sketching out my characters, then using the mouse and the line tool to trace my artwork. I’d love to get my hands on a Cintiq 21UX
robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robster16   Email robster16         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did three tv commercials animating directly in flash with a graphire tablet. I also cleaned the animation in flash, which is horrible to do, but like so many things, if you do it a lot, you'll get the hang of it and it gets easier. There are a few tricks though. I line my drawings with the general brush tool and in properties I always set "smoothing" to 70, which takes out the most obvious irregularities of the line. Then I clean them and afterwards perfect the drawings by using the selection tool to drag and push and invert the line exactly into the shape I want it to be in. It's a little work, but it's worth it in the end. Here are a few examples of the latest commercial. both rough animations and clean stills:

-

-

have a great day and good luck animating!

ROB

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Thanks all.

That's some amazing art, Rob. Full of life. How long have you been working with digital drawing to get to that level?

--------------------
My game art & animation-

robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robster16   Email robster16         Edit/Delete Post 
uhm, I started with the first animated commercial I think about one and a half years ago. Which is when I really started to manually clean animation in flash, the last commercial was done between november and february and I did all the 2D animation and clean-up for that commercial myself. I must say some of the stuff in that commercial was based on live action footage, not actually rotoscopped, but there was a guideline, mostly because of the nature of the movement as the movements had to be breakdance.

We took an amazing piece of footage as a starting point, then picked certain moves for the spot and then decided what we could exaggerate and turn more broad to make it suitable for animation and take it to a next level. I'm quite proud of the last commercial which should be out very shortly in the netherlands on national tv, but I have gone through a HUGE progression when I look back on the first commercial. Also because the character has become increasingly more complicated, as in the first commercial he was snowboarding fully clothed with gloves, glasses and a hat on. Now there is a full face, hair, tighter clothing, hands, etc, etc.

I'll try and make a preview clip and show some of the animation online soon.

ROB

robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

btw, I've been using a wacom tablet almost daily for about uhm... 5 to 6 years now.
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
hey rob...looks great. now that i've become so acclimated to using a cintiq, its been tough going back to a tablet.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,
for what it is worth, if your first experience using a pen/tablet is using a Cintiq, it is probably a great place to start. Play around with it as much as possible to see how to allow yourself to become comfortable with using it then you'll build on that.

Anim8tUSA
Member # 3256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anim8tUSA   Email Anim8tUSA         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the old fashion way of pencil and paper, but I do have a wacom tablet and it is easier and faster than scanning in every drawing. Just took me a long time to get used to it for Flash. For photoshop it is great.
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably be buying a Cintiq soon. Especially if they lower the price again.

I agree, Bronnie. $2500 is a lot of clams, but it's tempting.

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

5 years- it shows.

I'm fortunate to have a friend/business partner who knew what to get for our project.

I was trying to mimic the best colors for ColErase pencils on roughs to 2nd pass, but should try roughing in light grey, and getting tighter/darker & going to color on 2nd pass-

--------------------
My game art & animation-

Steve Piscopo
Member # 3257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Piscopo   Email Steve Piscopo         Edit/Delete Post 
What size tablet do you guys work on?
I work on an A6 and find it hard to use, I'm guessing its cause it’s so small, so i may invest in a larger one but before I do I wanted to get some feedback.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012