AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Meet the Robinsons... (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Meet the Robinsons...
BigFatPartyAnimal
IE # 52
Member # 593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigFatPartyAnimal           Edit/Delete Post 
Here
IP: Logged
robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robster16   Email robster16         Edit/Delete Post 
not bad, not bad. Definately a move forward from Chicken Little. No pixar yet, but not bad...

But uhm... didn't Jim Hill recently report that John Lasseter wanted to re-structure and re-shape the movie entirely, get rid of the villain and redo the second act completely? That would be odd to start advertising and trailers when the villain which is featured heavily in the movie will soon be axed...

Anyone who can shed any light on this?

ROB

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No pixar yet, but not bad...

Why does it have to be a Pixar film? This looks a lot stronger than it did when I saw some early test footage at Siggraph a few years back. Well done, everyone involved.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But uhm... didn't Jim Hill recently report that John Lasseter wanted to re-structure and re-shape the movie entirely, get rid of the villain and redo the second act completely? That would be odd to start advertising and trailers when the villain which is featured heavily in the movie will soon be axed...
These were my thoughts as well. Though there's already a small, early push for 'MtR,' I wonder how it's all gonna end.
Though like 'Rapunzel: Unbraided,' I wish they'd just change the title (personally, 'Meet the _______' titles are grating on my nerves), 'A Day in the life of Will Robinson' sounds like a good title to me.

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Direct link for all the downloadin':
HERE

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
No doubt "Wilbur" is a good looking film. I've seen it, and yes, it still needs work.

But, have no fear John is here. And, as a top Disney executive told me this morning, "That's a good thing."

toonstruck
Member # 1846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonstruck   Email toonstruck         Edit/Delete Post 
>>But uhm... didn't Jim Hill recently report that John Lasseter wanted to re-structure and re-shape the movie entirely, get rid of the villain and redo the second act completely? That would be odd to start advertising and trailers when the villain which is featured heavily in the movie will soon be axed...<<

Merely "suggestions" from what I heard. I think the director is free to do what he wants on this one. I have no inside knowledge, just what a few people have hinted at.

Mel Allen Sink
IE # 236
Member # 3123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mel Allen Sink   Author's Homepage   Email Mel Allen Sink         Edit/Delete Post 
Yummy! That Googie retro-futuristic thingie! Been in that groove since 1982!

Since it's set in the future, I like how Tomorrowland became Todayland.

What's a story without a antagonist? And what's with the Oil Can Harry, Snidely Whiplash, Badlands Meanie, Dick Dastardly, etc. mustache twirlers? Is that a hold over from Victorian melodrama? British Pantomime?

--------------------
http://melallensink.blogspot.com

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
AWESOME! I hope the rumors are not true...this villain looks amazing. He's animated so beautifully. I LOVE IT! It looks funny too. I'm actually pretty excited to see this one.

--------------------
 -

BigFatPartyAnimal
IE # 52
Member # 593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigFatPartyAnimal           Edit/Delete Post 
No no... everything Jim Hill reports is 100% fact. I'm sure Disney just screwed that one up and forgot to take him out of the trailer. [Roll Eyes]
Methuselah
IE # 148
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah   Email Methuselah         Edit/Delete Post 
Typical early trailer: not nearly enough there at all to make a judgement on anything, imo.

Btw, the only thing to merit a comparison between this and "Chicken Little" would be to compare each of those films' teaser trailers.

To say this is a "move forward" or something like that makes little sense. Forward--from one totally different film to another different film? Do you mean that from that tiny bit of film the animation looks better, or the design, or the--what? It SHOULD be different--it's got a different director, AD, many animators are different, different story people, etc.etc.etc.etc. And the plot is different. There is NO particular commonality between this and any other Disney production--and there shouldn't be.

robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robster16   Email robster16         Edit/Delete Post 
well, stylistically it looks more... balanced. And I know there isn't a lot to go on for now, but from what I can see in this it looks good. I'm not too jazzed about it yet though, I'll need to see more and get a better feel of the story. I saw some rough animation of bowler hat once and that looked very good. I wonder what will happen during story reshaping.

I love these babies though:

-

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorta looks like a relative of Capt. Hook.

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Typical early trailer: not nearly enough there at all to make a judgement on anything, imo.
Not just a typical early trailer but based on trailers I've seen for most modern animated films, a typical 'anytime' trailer.

Word to the promotional people: you don't need to tell your audience the entire story in 30 seconds. People are much more inclined to see a film if they can click with the characters and the humor. That's why trailers like Finding Nemo's proved so successful. Trailers like this are hard to read... I understand the story and yet I still have no idea what the movie is going to be like.

I'd rather know the latter than the former. And I also want a film like this to succeed because I am sick to death of talking animal pictures.

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful sketches....thanks for posting those. That first one in the middle row has a bit of a Jafar taste to him...the mouth shape I think.

--------------------
 -

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i tell you what, i could deffinately watch a whole feature of just the villain character slinking around the screen. he's easily the coolest thing going on this teaser!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

CatHicks
Member # 3262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatHicks   Email CatHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Sick animation.
mr-dunn*
IE # 147
Member # 2428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr-dunn*   Author's Homepage   Email mr-dunn*         Edit/Delete Post 
er...jafar?...i think zigzag came first...but i am a bit biased
happy easter to all!
mr-d*

--------------------
http://www.mr-dunn.com
http://um-daddy.blogspot.com/

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

I do believe you're right, Mr-Dunn. Happy Easter to all.

--------------------
 -

old_blue
Member # 3117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_blue   Email old_blue         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesnt the villian look familar??

http://images.google.com/images?q=Snidely+whiplash&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah i took a peek at that link and he deffinately looks familiar:

http://static.flickr.com/30/49501695_8028af0371.jpg

hah, jk [tipsy]

well he's a classical villian archetype. nothing wrong with that.

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Jason Thomas Campbell
Member # 524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Thomas Campbell   Email Jason Thomas Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing that model sheet makes me wish the film was in 2D.
Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
It truly looks like the integration of Mr Darling and Captain Hook from 'Peter Pan.'

Though the prominent chin helps give him a bit more personality.

One has to hope that the animation this time won't lead to 'swimmy' squash and stretch. I swear, watching 'Chicken Little,' I felt queasy watching the squash and stretch as Abbey Mallard was talking.

So far, the S&S on the villain in the preview as he says 'allow me to shed some light on the subject' has been stuck in my head. The animation following flowing paths makes him work well.

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 13 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
PLEASE take the name of Walt Disney off of that film.
Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PLEASE take the name of Walt Disney off of that film.
Any particular reason why? Or is it that you don't like 3D?

--------------------
-Tom

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how it looks so far. That music is from "Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow". I got a chuckle thinking about that. Remember the early previews for "Sky Captain" that used the music from "Stargate"? When they use "scratch" tracks for these trailers and "work in progress" reels, it becomes like a cinematic "name that tune" game. At least for us soundtrack geeks.

I liked the shot of "Todayland",and I like how the "Rocket Jets" were made to look like the actual attraction from 1967 to the mid nineties. And for anyone who thinks something like that would never appear in a "sacred" Pixar movie, I'd like to remind you that it already has. There was at least one shot in "Monsters Inc." where one of the kid's bedroom walls was adorned with a Disneyland poster which, if I recall, featured the same ride. (I think you get a fleeting glimpse of it as Sully is returning to the "Scare Floor" from one of the rooms). I think there's also a "Frontierland" poster which is clearly visible in another scene.

All in all, it looks good, and I'm sure it will have a great musical score, which no doubt will provide a good accompaniment for a trailer for another film in the future.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

ApeLad
IE # 231
Member # 3186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ApeLad   Email ApeLad         Edit/Delete Post 
I am constantly hearing Dragon Heart and Amistad as a temp track in previews and on TV. I didn't catch the Sky Captain cues though. [thumbsup]
Danny Elfman is doing the score for Meet the Robinsons (according to imdb) and he seems like a perfect fit.

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas. I like 3d just fine, but I'm not looking at the preview thru 3d eyes, only in eyes expecting the best out of Disney studios.

I found the villians animation overdone and his design half-ass. Other animation I saw was simply "there" (e.g. the woman and the boy scene). Nothing like the artistry and exceptional work that went into ANY of the Disney classics. If this film was coming from any other studio (except Pixar) I would say "nice try", but still wouldn't like it from what I have seen thus far.

Maybe John and his crew can fix it up, but some fundamental things seem to have gotten off track early on and those may not be fixable at this stage.

Just my opinion of course.

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there should be a moritorium on channeling Uncle Walt for the rest of all eternity.

No Ledge.
Sounds like a little bitterness to me.
why for?

Look at each shot.
There is something serious right about every shot in there.
It's gorgeous art direction and lighting wise.
The Character Design is consistent.
The animation in there is consistent with that design. Look at the mouth shapes on the Scientist Lady at the end. Watch the secondary animation on her hair versus the secondary on the bespectacled gentlemans hair. There is not a shot in there that resembles something being "phoned in".
There is serious weight; look at the squash and stretch and where it is being used. Technically this is pretty damn exciting. Not one of those characters looks like a zombie. They all move convincingly and have serious appeal.

You sound like someone not willing to give a few hundred people unrelated to your personal animation political views a chance.

Why not scrutinize it like a professional.
Scrutinize it against something like The Incredibles or your favorite movie.

This is a "one year out" teaser.
And it kicks serious ass.

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay everyone, I take Eric's view on the film.

Boy, I'm glad you straightend me out!

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[Gary]

Anyway, I think the film is looking pretty good so far. I'm a bit sick of William Joyce designs in animation in general, but it's a nice fit here.

Technically, Walt's name should be off of everything after December 15th of 1966. There is no one that knows what he would say or do exactly, as they are not him. End of story. Walt's dead and you missed it.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay everyone, I take Eric's view on the film.
As everyone should. [Smile]

--------------------
20's-30's music

intergalactic
IE # 195
Member # 1760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for intergalactic   Email intergalactic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorta looks like a relative of Capt. Hook.
It is Hook!

He just cut the hair and shaved, there wasn't much 2D work so that Cod Fish went 3D!

...i

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

love that Ward quote!!

Of course I am only able to judge the film by what they are showing us, and I hope to be pleasantly surprised! I loved Hoodwinked, but would not have appreciated it as much had it come out of Disney. There is a certain quality that "I" expect out of that studio. I know that I worked my butt off to get to that studio, and to try to uphold those standards. But it just seems that the former regime that is now thankfully gone, didn't give a damn, at least not to the level of guys like Glen, Andreas, Brad, Pomeroy, etc.

BTW was that a pic of me Floyd???! I'm looking good for my age, if it was!!

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

The pic was for every poster that contributes to a thread turning into a bickering match instead of an honest critique (not just in this thread).

I do think your latest post would have been much more constructive as your first post.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Better late than never! [Wink]
Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

quote:
Better late than never! [Wink]
"Like the Prussians at Waterloo."

---This has been an imitation Tom Sito moment.

--------------------
20's-30's music

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Tom wouldn't have stopped there. He would tell us the rest of the things that happened on this day in history.

By the way, nice to know Bowler Hat Guy is sticking around.

rdelgado
Member # 552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdelgado   Email rdelgado         Edit/Delete Post 
Floyd,

Remember how Sito used to post the daily historical fun facts in the restroom urinal over on Flower Street when we were working on Dinosaur? Was it Sorbus or Chastain? I can't remember.

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Yeah, it was Sorbus. Sito kept all of us informed and entertained. Those were fun days.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012