AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Upgrade to Painter 9 worth it?

Author Topic: Upgrade to Painter 9 worth it?
Splatman
IE # 94
Member # 2096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Splatman   Author's Homepage   Email Splatman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Painter 8, but was curious if the upgrade was worth the price...

Anyone here use 8 then 9? Opinion?

[cheers]
Splatman [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Doodler
SPLAT digital
www.SPLATdigital.com

IP: Logged
Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Painter 8 about a month before 9 came out... I was pretty cheesed they wouldn't give customers a little advance notice.

As it was, I had been using 'found' versions of Painter from 5 on up, until I figured I ought to get the real deal.
Not much of the things I often use had improved from 5 to 8, and the interface is still as clumsy as ever.

Neh... I'll wait a few more versions before upgrading, I think.

--------------------
 -

Cartoons for the Common Man!

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate when companies do that - sell old stock when an upgrade is coming out shortly. In the interest of customer relations, there should be a free upgrade, or at least a discount.

We bought a car a couple of years ago with a 3 year Bumper-to-bumper warranty. The next month, as a sales promotion, they upgraded the car to a 7 year warranty. Same car but they wouldn't upgrade ours.

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I rather like it. Glad I bought it, but it was on offer.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Splatman
IE # 94
Member # 2096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Splatman   Author's Homepage   Email Splatman         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input folks!

@SquarejawHero:were you using 8 prior to 9?

Thanks!
Splatman [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Doodler
SPLAT digital
www.SPLATdigital.com

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I must've done... but my brains rather frazzled after thumbnailing all day. There's certain things I really liked over Painter 8 because I DID use it for a while, but the specifics I really don't remember...

... sorry!

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Splatman
IE # 94
Member # 2096

No worries!

I just read MacAddicts review... It said that the new oils, and performance boost make it worth the money...even from 8 to 9.

So if I can squeeze some new life outta the old G4 box, I'll be happy!

[cheers]

Splatman [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Doodler
SPLAT digital
www.SPLATdigital.com

2d4ever
IE # 33
Member # 2004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2d4ever   Author's Homepage   Email 2d4ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a test version one can try?
talos72
IE # 66
Member # 85

Icon 1 posted      Profile for talos72   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a frequent or avid Painter user, the upgrade is worth it. Plus, the upgrade price is not that high (as compared to say Photoshop). I personally prefer Painter brushes to Photoshop's any day of the week. Painter brushes (though sometimes slow) are far more advanced than Photoshops and I remember few years back folks at Adobe were poking around Painter forums trying to find out more about Painter's brush technology.

--------------------
Portfolio Online

My Art Blog

My Photo Blog

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Free natural-media paint program links below. I haven't used any of them, except DEEP PAINT, which is pretty cool for free.

DEEP PAINT:
http://www.download.com/Deep-Paint/3640-2191_4-10398243.html
DOGWAFFLE:
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free/index.html
GIMP:
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
ARTWEAVER:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/46614

Olve
IE # 185
Member # 427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olve   Author's Homepage   Email Olve         Edit/Delete Post 
Painter 9 is absolutely worth it.
I used Painter 6 until 9 came out - simply because I didn't like 7 and 8 (their water color solutions being one major reason).
But with 9 they threw all the best bits from every version together.
So I really recommend it.

Trial can be downloaded here.

--------------------
Olve's Blog

Splatman
IE # 94
Member # 2096

All good input!

Thanks everyone!

[cheers]

Splatman [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Doodler
SPLAT digital
www.SPLATdigital.com

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

This is a bit of an odd question seeing as I have it... is the mac version on the same disc?

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Splatman
IE # 94
Member # 2096

Hmmmm. Not sure about that...I don't have the disks in my sweaty little rodent hands at this very second... [abducted]

Splatman [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chief Doodler
SPLAT digital
www.SPLATdigital.com

Lee Crowe
IE # 154
Member # 1135

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lee Crowe   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to hear more specifics from y'all about how you use Painter in animation...?

--------------------
Look me up on http://IMDb.com.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to hear more specifics from y'all about how you use Painter in animation...?
I'm curious about that, too.

To take a guess, painting backgrounds is likely the primary use for most workflows. Though it would be cool to know if that isn't the only way that people use the program.

There is an animation component to Painter. At first glance, the features seem rudimentary. And, since I haven't used the latest two versions, I'm unsure if the features have been upgraded or enhanced. Though, the features (as late as Version 7) do offer a lot of possibilities beyond the flipbook aspect of component. Quite a lot, actually.

So, I'm curious if anyone has done animation in Painter. In any way, shape or form....

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the sake of more info:

There's a nice little 2D animation program called MIRAGE that features some natural media tools. I used it briefly way back when it was called AURA. Weird interface, but useful, and some Photoshop plugins worked with it. I've heard the program is more capable now. It is grotesquely overpriced.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012