AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » HOODWINKED: The Director Speaks (Page 3)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: HOODWINKED: The Director Speaks
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
personally, i want to see "earnest takes a dump" [Smile]

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

IP: Logged
monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
"Let us not forget that Snow White was not a huge financial windfall for the Disney studio when it first came out."

That's just not true. Production costs were $1.5 million, box office was $8 million. How many movies out today can hope to generate 5x it's production costs in box office receipts? One? Two, maybe?

The revenue from Snow White paid for construction of the Burbank studio and part or all of the costs of Pinocchio and Fantasia (both of which were box office disappointments).

jim mortensen
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jim mortensen   Email jim mortensen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Let us not forget that Snow White was not a huge financial windfall for the Disney studio when it first came out."

That's just not true. Production costs were $1.5 million, box office was $8 million. How many movies out today can hope to generate 5x it's production costs in box office receipts? One? Two, maybe?

See Mr. Edwards? Why can't you budget a film like Disney could?

Huh? What's inflation?

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Low budget film makers take heart.

Years ago, I sat in a Hollywood screening room watching a short film I had directed. Eventually, I had my head in my hands as the film progressed because I was convince I had turned out a piece of crap.

Just two days later, the same movie was well received by an audience that seemed to love the film. I learned a valuable lesson. If you've entertained your audience, you've done your job. Everything else is bull----!

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 14 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
What Mr.Fun just said needs to be etched on a very large monument somewhere.
[cheers]

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
Careful with those line-by-line quotes, folks.
No matter how you format 'em, using that approach to respond to someone/others isn't allowed, according to the Rules.

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Mr. Edwards.
Its a marketing and production coup.

Did it really cost less than a million dollars on the front end, as some have been saying?

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

orbital
Member # 1756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orbital   Email orbital         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really have the time to follow the full thread, but I am happy that something indy is doing so well in the box office. Congradulations! I hope to have a look at it soon as I can in the theater. Even if its not my taste in story pr style, this is the kind of film that animators should rally behind.
merlinjones
IE # 240
Member # 1501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merlinjones   Email merlinjones         Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Let us not forget that Snow White was not a huge financial windfall for the Disney studio when it first came out."<<

??? - - Snow White was the highest grossing film of all time in 1938 - - the Star Wars of its era.

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and I've got a Darth Dopey action figure to prove it.
Durrien
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Durrien   Email Durrien         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. I am not an animation historian. (Nor do I play one on tv.) You get the idea. Animation has always been hard-pressed to be profitable. Which is why Disney turned to making live-action movies to keep paying the bills. Or rather... that's how I remember it.

Disney became a giant in the hearts of America because of its (outwardly) wholesome, playful disposition. But it became a giant in corporate America because of all of the ancillary spinoffs -- the toys, the parks, ... all that.

Yes, including the limited edition Darth Dopey.

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a historian but a big nerd.
Subsequent Disney films didn't fare well all the time. Pinocchio lost the foreign box office due to war. Bambi, I have read, didn't do well. That year was saved by a re-release Snow White iirc. Dumbo was considered cheap and saved the studio. Returning to fairy tales, Cinderella was a hit. Sleeping Beauty wasn't but Dalmations was to Walt's chagrin. Sword and the Stone wasn't but Jungle book was a hit.
SO ya see....
I forget the point but use the info however for your debate. [Smile]

papercut
Member # 161

Icon 12 posted      Profile for papercut   Email papercut         Edit/Delete Post 
The film I'm creating is much nicer than Hoodwinked. I imagine it will be produced under budget, and break box office records in wide release. Of course an Oscar nod will follow critical acclaim. I'm certian it will revive 2D feature animation. A classic in the making - but of course I'll remain humble.

Yes! I can see it now, such vision, it'll make Hoodwink look like a shoddy attempt. My parents will be so proud.

Now if I could only find my pencil sharpener, I'd get started.

Steve G
IE # 12
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve G   Author's Homepage   Email Steve G         Edit/Delete Post 
Papercut..have you picked out what shirts your entire crew has to wear work on your pic?;)Pink Tubetops would be a good choice!

--------------------
http://stevenegordon.blogspot.com
http://stevenegordon.com

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't see Brad Bird, Chris Sanders, or John Lasseter posting here too often, so I'm taking the liberty that directors of top-grossing films don't post here every day. Sure, people here have accomplished other equally great things, but not a #1 movie... which is all I claimed in the first place.

I love that you are railing against a guy who saw his little indie project achieve huge success, and then boast about a little indie project you are starting with your friend. You seem to be quite peleased with yourself and have a healthy sense of self-esteem, so I'm sure you'll be fine when it finally comes out and people on this board say it sucks.

Sorry gergly. Didn't know about the quote breakup rule.

Just want to use logic for a bit to clarify:

1) Brad Bird or anyone else could be posting here under any name (BunnyMan, etc).

2) Many people here may have worked on a top grossing film.

3) I haven't rallied against anyone. My previous post stated: "Congrats. I hope to see the film."

4) I did not mean to boast when I mentioned I'm working on something (now completed, not just started).

5) How do you know it "sucks"? Or what others will think? A few samples (uncolored) are in the Gallery under the topic: BGs. I'll post a link to the site when I'm OK'd.

6) I hope everything's kosher now. I don't want to cause harm. Only tell truths. Take care-

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

bunny burgerman
IE # 138
Member # 2793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunny burgerman   Author's Homepage   Email bunny burgerman         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record I'm not Brad Bird LOL!!!

--------------------
www.pyatyletka.com
pyatyletka.blogspot.com

papercut
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for papercut   Email papercut         Edit/Delete Post 
CREW!! I need a crew? No one told me I needed a crew. What kind of crew? I suppose I have to pay them too.

That's the problem with this industry, no one has a passion for their work... they just want to get paid.

devourax
IE # 275
Member # 2197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devourax   Author's Homepage   Email devourax         Edit/Delete Post 
AWN article

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2756

-dev

--------------------
Devourax
http://devourax.blogspot.com/

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just for the record I'm not Brad Bird LOL!!!

Sounds like somebody's in denial!

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that "bunny" but I understand that this site recieves a lot of traffic from certain major studios, Pixar amongst them, but it's true. A feature director posting on here as themselves is something that doesn't happen too often.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

musashi
Member # 2826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musashi   Email musashi         Edit/Delete Post 
damn! they outsourced all the traditional animation, what'll I do! Sh*t, i'm just gonna have to learn 3d, thats where the moneys at now. Whew!..that was close, for a second i almost thought they were gonna stop letting me make artwork. Hey, did somebody just outsource a cg feature.....Must just be an anomaly, they'd never outsource my new job, 'cause that wouldn't be fair. Nope, i'm safe. The studio's need me, i mean i'm american talent right? my brains are different. Still, thinking about the future makes me uncomfortable, i better go back to my cubicle...

Nice work Cory, i'm sure it'll be easier next time demand more money and hire me.

JHBucktooth
Member # 1884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JHBucktooth   Email JHBucktooth         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, OK, you pressured me into it.

Here goes.

I am Brad Bird...

...'s NUMBER ONE FAN!

[Big Grin]

Anim8tUSA
Member # 3256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anim8tUSA   Email Anim8tUSA         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to say that I was not a huge fan of the film, at all, but I can appreciate the crowd that did it, and I say good for you! I was also not a huge, or any other kind of fan to Chicken Little. (Thank God Lassiter is involved now, hopefully story will be a bigger issue for all films.) I say, it doesn't matter if it looks like a video game, or cost 2 million or 200 million, if the story isn't strong, it won't go anywhere. Come on gang. Story is the problem here, will most of the recent films.
that is my two cents.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff wrote:
quote:
Didn't know about the quote breakup rule.
Never you mind. You weren't the first to have done so. I just figured it was worth mentioning the rule before a moderator did.

About "Hoodwinked"'s fortunes:

I'm hoping this bodes well for independents who have great productions, past, present or future. By independents I particularly mean those who've toiled for years doing what they love.

A while back it seemed so fantastically positive when Wallace and Gromit/ Park got some love and respect from Dreamworks. But what happened with "Hoodwinked" seems to be another great development for those indy and smaller studios who've toiled in a niche/cult realm for years. Goodness knows there are many studios which've done quality shorts that are relegated to festivals, art houses and college campuses. And, not all are making the esoteric; they are just making good, entertaining animation which deserves a shot at a larger potential audience. If only those creators got financing and distribution love from deep pockets, kudos.

Heck, about esoterics, even the makers of the most esoteric works might find that people unaware of those works might like them. In other words, you never completely know what floats the boat of ever potential reader, audience member, listener, etc.. Any good, work with some level of quality can potentially be appreciated by enough and then some. If that happens then there's a first shot and maybe a second one. The internet and innovative, newer distribution means are the levellers in that regard.

For those waiting for a first or a second shot, either have patience or don't wait. Though it can't hurt to try and make something of quality if you feel you can.

Keep creating and all that.

Durrien
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Durrien   Email Durrien         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the cover feature article in the latest issue of Res magazine about Richard Linklater's upcoming animated adaptation of Philip K. Dick's "A Scanner Darkly." Apparently, it was made for $8.5 million. (Comes out in U.S. theaters in March.) It's a bit ironic that people not mired in the animation field seem able to scrounge up money to make these movies, while everyone else complains about "The Man" (or, as the vituperation goes, "The Monkey").

I wonder what folks here would be able to create with $8.5 million -- or, dare to dream, even a fraction of that budget. I bet it would be something pretty good. Maybe even great?

Maybe it's simpler to pound one's fist and head against the wall of some boogeyman ... (or, alternatively, to bask in the warm-fuzzies of a billion-dollar merger) ... than to raise financing for a movie of our own.

Indie or otherwise -- Good Luck!

Karen K
Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen K   Email Karen K         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, glancing over this thread (which took a bit of reading WHEW!) I had a flashback to AN's meeting at the Pickwick a few years back when Snakebite did his big community speech. It was followed by folks were complaining that there WASN'T ENOUGH animation being produced... Hell I STILL hear that argument to this day...

Now suddenly...folks complain about a low budget film making it big? Shouldn't we be thinking about the bigger picture here? People are watching animation. I'm not saying "you folks should be LUCKY there's more animation out there..."

Where do I explain?

Sue Kroyer told our class how very small the animation community actually is. And it is! It's really small. Whether we want to believe that or not really doesn't matter.

It boils down to this: a small film becoming a big success means that us, the "little" people, have more chances of selling ideas... of CREATING... Whether it be Charles, myself, Ovi...whoever. It means we can do it.

And that should be applauded.

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012