AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » HOODWINKED: The Director Speaks (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: HOODWINKED: The Director Speaks
Cory Edwards
Member # 3278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cory Edwards           Edit/Delete Post 
I would love the opportunity to address those that are concerned or even opposed to “Hoodwinked’s” success. I am REALLY tired of reading posts from people out there who are determined to cut down a movie they haven't even seen, and discuss aspects of the project they know nothing about. Allow me to share my perspective...

I guess I don’t fully understand the complaint against my film. Is it that there are jobs being taken from Americans? Or is it that this film will lower the quality bar for studios, proving that the animation can be less-than-Pixar and make a profit? If these are the arguments, I can definitely shed some light.

Quite simply, my partners and I have been starving filmmakers for over ten years. Then we finally found someone with funding who let us make a film. Getting it done under the circumstances we had to work with was like dragging ourselves across broken glass. It was a lot of travel, time, and headache, more than we ever dreamed. So believe me when I tell you, the fact that it even got finished is a miracle.

This film was not made by studio execs, as some of you assume. This project was started by six people, funded by one guy, and animated by 50 artists who had only done a few commercials and short films. We made what we made with the resources we had. Weinsteins picked this up at the very end of a three year process. Until that point, the project was ALL RISK and no upside.

We had an opportunity before us to make an animated film, but only if we took the incredibly meager budget given (and oh, it was MEAGER) and seek out overseas means to do it. It was sheer economics that painted us into a corner. We had no choice but to go somewhere in the world that we could afford. Live action movies are shot all over the world. Animated projects have been outsourced to foreign countries for decades. This is nothing new. My partners and I have worked in live action, animation, music videos, features, all kinds of projects under all kinds of circumstances. A production’s location all depends on the project and the resources we have.

No one from our company had any desire to take jobs from Americans. We searched all over the country for a shop that could pull this off before going to the Phillipines. I did not want to take 14 hour flights every month, away from my wife! Believe me, this project was offering jobs that no American would want, or could afford to take. If any American animators wanted to work for $500 a month, they were welcome to join the project. Our entire studio space was rented for the same rate that I rent my apartment in L.A.. It was an equation we could not get anywhere else.

As for the “downfall of animation,” I can’t be responsible for that. All I know is that I am a filmmaker who was just trying to get a film made. And don’t worry, it will not be so easy for some studio to follow us and make a film like this one, at this cost... let alone a successful film! This was a once-in-a-lifetime thing that no one could repeat in some cookie-cutter formula.

If I direct more animation, my first choice will always be to make it in the U.S. and for a much bigger budget. The U.S. Is where the best talent lies, no question. And studios will always seek that talent out first to make the best films. But filmmaking also depends on the investor, the studio’s parameters, etc. Animators need to see the global perspective of the whole project, beyond their personal scope. Film is a global medium.

I am surprised that a group of American animators are so opposed to “Hoodwinked.” I would think the animation community would be delighted by it! This is a TINY animated movie that was made by small-time animation guys that turned into a phenomenon on the big screen. Isn’t that the big dream for all of us? My hope is that you would take heart and be inspired that this film even happened, instead of doomsaying it.

And to all the snobs out there, guess what: I KNOW the animation could be better! The film was made with the skill levels we had at the studio we could afford. Give me a break. I fail to understand why some of you rally around a fat cat studio project like "Shrek" and turn your noses up at the little guys trying to take them on.

Thanks for hearing my perspective. Again, if there are other issues you have with “Hoodwinked,” I’d love to hear and address them. I still think it's a good movie, and a funny one too. I only want to make a better film next time. And trust me, I will.

Cory Edwards
Writer/Director
“Hoodwinked”

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, Mr. Edwards!

Thank you for sharing that. You do indeed have the well wishes and support of this site and the community, regardless of what some of our members may portray. Congratulations on the success of your film! We're very excited about it. Thanks again for coming here to enlighten us. Looking forward to your next and future endeavors.

--------------------
 -

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Your success speaks for itself. I appreciate your voice being here and that you shared your experience...and hopefully continue to share,

Great success to all creators!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cory,
You pulled off a miracle. Good for you and best of luck on your future projects - of which I'm sure, there will be many.

blackmocco
IE # 202
Member # 2422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackmocco           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to defend yourself as far as I'm concerned. I applaud your determination and success in getting your movie made. I certainly wouldn't let the armchair critics on this board annoy you. Unfortunately, the American animation industry is rife with snobbery and begrudgery towards smaller, cheaper projects as evidenced by the reaction to your film and many others that have come and gone on these boards. The fact that not one of your 'critics' has tried to defend his/her point of view to your proverbial face tells me all I need to know about them and their supposed 'passion' for animation.

--------------------
"...and it was here, in this blighted place, he learned to live again..."

blackmocco
IE # 202
Member # 2422

Y'know, the "I'm passionate about animation...as long as Disney or Dreamworks spent $200 million on it..." crowd.

--------------------

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on the film's success. The real test will now be the sequel.

You know what you have to work with. My advice would be to not pull the project away from the artists who cut their teeth on the first film. You say yourself that the pay was low, so a lot of what they put into the project was for the love of the medium. Reward them by getting them higher pay if possible, and letting them all work on the sequel.

If you read through some of my past posts, you can see that I'm not a big fan of the way the animation looks, but I can understand trying to work with what you have. If you do nothing else between films, get some animators in there to help work on some principles of animation with the crew. It's obvious that they are dedicated. I think with some nudges in the right direction, "Hoodwinked 2" could be much bigger (and better received by the animation community) if the animation improved.

That being said, I would have felt much better about the film if it were done within the US, but maybe that's just me.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

MICROPHONE JONEZ
Member # 1918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MICROPHONE JONEZ           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Edwards,

You have accomplished what 99.999% of posters on this board never will, and who would trade places with you in a heatbeat if given the chance. I commend you on taking on a ruthless industry and winning. Much success to you in the future.

toonstruck
Member # 1846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonstruck   Email toonstruck         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great that you were able to carry out your vision in one way or another. I have no issue with that. I actually applaud it. I've worked to help setup a few feature productions and I know what you must of gone through. That is not the problem I have with the production. I just don't care for the animation or visual elements. However, from reading your response, you probably aren't very surprised by someone feeling that way.

The vast majority of us understand that budgets get in the way of these things, it doesn't mean we have to like the results. And as before, I will again stress that my opinions are in the visual areas, not story or creative. I've actually said for months that the story sounded clever.

As far as the second issue of having it done overseas. I'm with Floyd, I would of preferred it being done here. And it really sounds like you --Cory-- feel the same way. It just wasn't possible. So it doesn't look like we see things differently at all.

Joris
Member # 3048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joris   Author's Homepage   Email Joris         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the negative comments are not so much aimed at Hoodwinked itself. But you probably did realise that every CGI movie (that is a succes) will be put to the test by the animation community, because its the succes of CGI that's responsible for the 'dead' of commercial 2D animation. More or less you have proven what we've all been scared off for a while: low budget (and low quality) projects can be a big succes!
Ofcourse I've nothing against low budget projects, and being nothing more then just a student myself, I'd be more then proud if I could do something like Hoodwinked. And I think most of us would here.
But the bigger perspective is that once the major studios see this level of quality works too, the artistic crisis commercial animation seems to be in could even sink deeper. Not to mention that you can't deny that Hoodwinked *seems* to jump on the Shrek bandwagon, which makes the whole situation for animation lovers not easier to coop with. Add the overseas issue to this, and a big discussion in the animation community seems to be unavoidable.
It's not so much Hoodwinked itself, but *anything* that seems to be a reason that animation is once again being under pressure will be attacked here. I guess that's understandable, though some people here don't seem to know about compromises.

Anyway, I guess most people here think its great what you've done and are probably pretty jealous too. I think they're are more afraid for the impact for movies like Hoodwinked on the (american) animation industry, then they are for Hoodwinked self. And then we go back to the same old thing: it's all the fault of the studio execs! [Wink] ... well, you know what I mean...

My Fault
IE # 78
Member # 1427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for My Fault   Author's Homepage   Email My Fault         Edit/Delete Post 
What was the budget for Hoodwinked? I checked on Box Office Mojo, but it is one of the few films that doesn't show how much it cost.

In every article I read it says it couldn't possibly be done here in the States but for some reason it never says just how inexpensive it really was.

BTW, some great gags and a really fun little story. I agree with Floyd, the people that worked so hard on this should definitely get a shot at the sequel. Would be great to see how much they have improved.

--------------------
My Fault
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

toonstruck
Member # 1846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonstruck   Email toonstruck         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW. When has this forum ever rallied around the Shrek or other DreamWorks films. Harsh critiques are common here. "Fat cat" studios aren't immune.
Steve G
IE # 12
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve G   Author's Homepage   Email Steve G         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to defend yourself. I think the real professionals understand how the real world works.
I personally get tired of responding to many of those voices on this board and others.

Congrats to you and everyone involved. I hope you have equal or even better success in the future.

--------------------
http://stevenegordon.blogspot.com
http://stevenegordon.com

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Mista Edwards - As a not-exactly-detractor of HOODWINKED (I said it looked "distinctive" despite its undeniable rough edges, or something like that), I too extend congrats on getting your film into the big machine and successfully franchised.

You've given us non-Hollywood types at AN something we rarely get - dollar figures attached to specific areas of a recent production. Specifically, the "$500 a month" pay for animators and "Our entire studio space was rented for the same rate that I rent my apartment in L.A". This leads me to again pose the graceless and inappropriate question I've asked here frequently, expecting no answer. Where's all the money go?

Various articles peg the HOODWINKED budget at 16 to 20 million. I dunno if that includes promo, but I'll guess it doesn't. Let's say the production budget is 16 million, and take it from there...

Blindly assuming a 2-year production schedule:
50 animators at $500 a month for 24 months equals $600,000. Let's round it up to a million. "LA apartment"-priced office space - let's say $3000 a month - for 24 months is $72,000. We'll bump that to a hundred thousand. We'll assume you bought, for rendering, 200 3ghz single-core P4 boxes with 2 gigs of RAM each. At approx $700 each (a high estimate) that would be $140,000K. We'll bump that and all software, office supplies and other hardware up to $500,000 just for ballparking. Travel expenses for you and other execs to the island and back? I'll guess half a million more. Various insurance/accounting/other arcane expenses? Crazy guess of 2 million, just for kicks. Voice talent, scriptwriting chores, other production salaries? The trickiest to guess. Is 3 million realistic? Let's say so. Digital to film transfer $100,000. 2500 prints at $2000 each - $5 million. No doubt I have naively overlooked and left out many vital expenses, but this hypothetical grand total comes to... $12,200,000. If only we knew the accuracy of this crazy estimate, we'd know how much is left over and directed elsewhere. This is knowledge that would, in time, benefit all AN members in no measurable way.

I'm supposed to be sweeping debris out of the stairwell and washing the dishes right now, but doing that stuff sucks...

Semaj
Member # 3131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semaj   Email Semaj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the bigger perspective is that once the major studios see this level of quality works too, the artistic crisis commercial animation seems to be in could even sink deeper. Not to mention that you can't deny that Hoodwinked *seems* to jump on the Shrek bandwagon, which makes the whole situation for animation lovers not easier to coop with.
That along with the unattractive character designs pretty much covers my gripe.

Most of our opinions are not so much "snobbery" than they are personal taste. We just tend to set high standards upon ourselves for what the animated film should be like, namely to shield the medium from those who think it's an expendable kids genre.

I may see Hoondwinked, but if when it's still out in theatres, it would only be out of obligation for the animation industry.

Methuselah
IE # 148
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah   Email Methuselah         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate--a lot--the unprecedented act of simply coming on this board and taking the trouble to address the posts/attitudes. Thanks much for that.

I haven't seen the film. As to its content and look, therefore, anything I think will of course have to wait. But thanks again for bothering to give the group here your thoughts. And congratulations on your personal success!

eboles
IE # 266
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eboles   Email eboles         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you doing the sequel, or looking to move on to other projects? I would agree with Floyd that you should stick with the original crew as much as possible for any sequels(for the same reasons he stated).

I've read a lot of interviews with low-budget filmmakers where they explain some of the pressures they were under. While this can sometimes help to appreciate the film, it doesn't change the nature of the medium. A film is supposed to speak for itself. Completing a film is often an impressive act in itself, but that's not enough. No matter how many years of your life you have invested in it, there will always be those viewers who complain about wanting the "hour and a half of their life back". Of course, going by Imdb, you seem to have got a very positive reaction, especially for such a low-profile project.

I haven't seen your film, but with all this talk, I'll keep an eye out to see if it gets a release where I live.

Cory Edwards
Member # 3278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cory Edwards           Edit/Delete Post 
-FP-, you seemed to have our budget all worked out. Except for the fact that you don't know what the budget really was. And I am not at liberty to say... all I can say is that I WISH we had as much as you assume... but we had much less.

So we didn't have near the money you assume, and spent way more time than you assume (about 3 1/2 years). This was not a "normal" production schedule, budget, or facility. It was much more difficult than any of you may assume.

And I realize some of you don't like the character design. But I actually do. It's one of my favorite things. But that is subjective. I think the Rugrats are ugly, but some people don't. The great thing about animation is that you can have so many different looks for characters.

Thank you for all of your posts, and for going easy on me. You all have a right to your opinion.

I would also like to say, regarding the sequel, that I have NO control over who works on it, or how it is made. I have only agreed to write it. The rest is up to the producers and investor. I can't wait until I have better resources for my next directing effort, and I look forward to showing what I can do with them.

Never stop drawing...
Cory Edwards

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cory, please don't take all this stuff so hard. I think you've accomplished something truly incredible, and this old timer gives you a deep, deep bow.

Having said that, please realize you've elected to play with the "Big Boys," and this is all part of the game. It's almost as though every small budget film should contain a disclaimer saying, "Please be kind, we didn't have enough time and money."

Please keep in mind that when we ran your film, people watching it were conditioned to seeing Disney and Pixar quality. They were not thinking about all the limitations imposed on you. Perhaps had they known, they would have reacted differently. Overall, your story was very entertaining, and it sure got a lot of laughs. So you see, you won anyway.

Once again, congratulations on a job well done. I've lived in low budget land a good part of my career, so I know whereof I speak.

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cory, congratulations on your success. Regarding the low budget, I have one question: Your voice talent are not exactly the local high school drama department. They are some pretty big names. Did they all agree to work for scale? Were they paid from a seperate budget? I get the feeling some of them might have been brought in towards the end, and I also have the feeling that some of those casting choices might have been out of your hands as well. Certainly, I dream of the day that someone like Glenn Close is voicing one of my characters, but maybe you can tell us something about that part of the production.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

ovi nedelcu
IE # 95
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ovi nedelcu   Email ovi nedelcu         Edit/Delete Post 
C,
I might be telling the same story here as some of the previous posters, but in general no one here is against you making a film and following your dream. We applaud that. Seriously.
I think the biggest problem HOODWINKED presents to everyone else in the industry that isn’t a writer/director or in a creative position/power to make films is job security, not jealousy. That, and the fact that it opens the floodgates to all the execs’ out there to think that if they hire a writer/director and a few extra key artists they can just take the rest of production overseas and make films for $15 mil.

The fact that you got your film made is awesome, more power to you man, its every artists/film makers dream. The bad criticism and frustration isn’t directed at you personally for making a film, its directed at the implications it presents for all of us working in the industry which includes: cheaper, faster, cheaper, cheaper, cheaper. From your POV, its great cause it lets you create and produce your projects, which is fine, but for the rest of 85% of production artists, its a horrible feeling to know they might get a huge pay cut, or even worse lose their job to overseas altogether. We all know execs’ are blood-sucking VAMPIRES, and will do anything to cut costs. Now you’ve proven they can do just that with feature films.

And lets not even talk about the artistic implications “faster/cheaper” presents. I think just looking at HOODWINKED says it all. the design & animation looks awful. No offense, but for a feature film, no one is fooled here as far as the visuals go. And from reading your post, neither are you.

But lets be fair, let me change hats here for a sec’.

"But so what, you say? beavis and butthead looks awful too, and people love that show/film." And yes’ you’re right they do love it, including me.

So whats my point?

My point is, no one is getting on you for making a film. Whether people like the look of HOODWINKED is one thing, but most of the frustration comes down to job security and artistic compromise for the sake of “faster/cheaper”, and one guy at the top reaping all the rewards while the rest of the 85% suffer.

Anyway, im not trying to put you down, im just bringing up some concerns all us artists face. Whether someone likes or hates the look of the film is irrelevant, the bigger issue is far more serious than something as trivial as subjective artistic taste.

Hope this didn’t come off as anger, im just debating. Love to hear your take.

>oVi

--------------------
 -

ALSO VISIT: PIGTALE @
http://pigtalecomic.com/

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Hoodwinked is a hit people. Get over it. This ain't about executives. It's about artists who succeed without them. The way some of you guys sound, it's as if you just won a foot race but you're still looking behind you.

As of Thursday January 19, Hoodwinked was #2 at the American Box Office with $18,226,500 in the kettle. That's only $713,314 less than Glory Road.

The positives far, far outweigh any of the negatives some folks are dreamimg up. An independently produced animated film went to the top of the charts. That encourages investment in independent animated ventures, which in turn encourages competition in the industry when these projects cash in.

Hoodwinked is a landmark film that will be remembered in this business for a long time to come. The film's writer/director on AN gives us another reason to celebrate.

-

--------------------
 -

oogieboogie
IE # 265
Member # 2706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oogieboogie           Edit/Delete Post 
I can appreciate the struggle to make something you can be proud of with a limited budget, but that cover looks like a video game to me. And that isn't what I want to pay $18 to go see. And that is me, personally.

I was taking my 7 year old to a movie tonight. I thought Nanny Whatever was out this weekend, but was wrong. Nothing else we could go see, but Hoodwinked. However, we found Chicken Little playing at the $3 theater, so we went to see that, since we missed it in the fall.

q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your 7 year old daughter would have
liked Hoodwinked.

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can appreciate the struggle to make something you can be proud of with a limited budget, but that cover looks like a video game to me.
I was sitting around in my break room at work a few weeks ago and some of my co-workers were watching a sci-fi movie on DVD. One of my other co-workers was trying to read a magazine in the adjoining room and wondered if these people were watching a movie or playing a video game. It was that loud, raucous, relentless, and "CGI" looking. The movie was "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith". The two types of entertainment are starting to merge. It happens.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

ovi nedelcu
IE # 95
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ovi nedelcu   Email ovi nedelcu         Edit/Delete Post 
this issue will never end. but my last words on it would have to be, just because you CAN do something, doesnt always mean you should.
or in this casue, just because "An independently produced animated film" CAN be made, doesnt always mean it should. being independent doesnt justify mediocracy, but maybe $20 mil does. who knows.
if the bottom line is what you gauge quality with, then i guess we all owe britney spears a little more respect.

>oVi

--------------------
 -

Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a large part of the problem is that many people here expect every animated film to be some artsy-fartsy Triplets of Belleville clone ("we must have no animation that appears to be expendable and for kids!"). There is room for all sorts of animated features and the fact that Hoodwinked merely exists does not mean other types of animated films cannot. I went to the ASIFA screening and thought it was a decent little film. I like how Cory called it pretty much the same thing I called it. I referred to it as a "little film;" he referred to it as a "tiny film." Don't claim for a self-admittedly tiny film something it is not claiming for itself.
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the achievement, sounds like everyone's dream to be honest...

... although if you can, through some work over this way in the UK. We're not bad either. [Wink] Heheh. I'll be sure to check Hoodwinked out.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
"Through"?! Throw! That's the last time I hit reply without checking my post thoroughly! [Big Grin] Anyhow, I forgot to mention - it's always comforting to read someone aware of their own projects shortcomings even in the face of success. There's nothing worse than an ego who won't take note of criticism based on their achievements, and from your post it's evident that you're not that person! That you want to do bigger and better and the fact you've pulled this off means you'll be in a stronger position for fulfilling your ambitions... good luck to you. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

blackmocco
IE # 202
Member # 2422

quote:
this issue will never end. but my last words on it would have to be, just because you CAN do something, doesnt always mean you should.
or in this casue, just because "An independently produced animated film" CAN be made, doesnt always mean it should. being independent doesnt justify mediocracy, but maybe $20 mil does. who knows.
if the bottom line is what you gauge quality with, then i guess we all owe britney spears a little more respect.

Gee, do you think you could be any more condescending? What does that comment mean anyway? Have you even seen the movie yet? Would you turn down $20 mil to make a 'Pigboy' movie because you couldn't do it justice with that budget? Me no think so. Save your snobbery and hypocrisy for your own project when you get that $150 million budget you've been waiting for. (You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath...)
By your reckoning, people should stop before they proceed with their low-budget product to ask themselves: "Hmmm. Y'know, making movies is my lifetime dream but maybe I shouldn't make one because I haven't quite got the budget to do it exactly as I envisioned." I'm sure glad James Cameron didn't follow through with that procrastination when he made 'Piranha II: Flying Killers'. Really, Ovi, as someone who contributes to a creative field, your opinion is really kinda pathetic. There's room for everything in the field of animation. The cheap stuff and the expensive stuff. Frankly, I'll take something like 'Hoodwinked' with all it's shortcomings over a bloated and over-budgeted piece of garbage like 'Treasure Planet' anyday. Which brings us to the next point: Maybe Disney, Dreamworks and Warners should've applied your point before flushing hundreds of millions down the toilet on projects that scarcely deserved them...

--------------------

blackmocco
IE # 202
Member # 2422

'Pigtale'. Sorry.

--------------------

Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gee, do you think you could be any more condescending? What does that comment mean anyway? Have you even seen the movie yet? Would you turn down $20 mil to make a 'Pigboy' movie because you couldn't do it justice with that budget? Me no think so. Save your snobbery and hypocrisy for your own project when you get that $150 million budget you've been waiting for. (You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath...)
By your reckoning, people should stop before they proceed with their low-budget product to ask themselves: "Hmmm. Y'know, making movies is my lifetime dream but maybe I shouldn't make one because I haven't quite got the budget to do it exactly as I envisioned." I'm sure glad James Cameron didn't follow through with that procrastination when he made 'Piranha II: Flying Killers'. Really, Ovi, as someone who contributes to a creative field, your opinion is really kinda pathetic. There's room for everything in the field of animation. The cheap stuff and the expensive stuff. Frankly, I'll take something like 'Hoodwinked' with all it's shortcomings over a bloated and over-budgeted piece of garbage like 'Treasure Planet' anyday. Which brings us to the next point: Maybe Disney, Dreamworks and Warners should've applied your point before flushing hundreds of millions down the toilet on projects that scarcely deserved them...

Hey! That's my rant! A guy tries to get a little shuteye around here, and some wise-guy comes along and steals his rant.

Aah, phooey...

I'm with you 183.9% Blackmocco. What a condescending piece of horse-pooky.

[ January 22, 2006, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Mod Too ]

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Maybe, although "bat flatulence" is possibly funnier.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Steve G
IE # 12
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve G   Author's Homepage   Email Steve G         Edit/Delete Post 
High five, Blackmocco.

--------------------
http://stevenegordon.blogspot.com
http://stevenegordon.com

q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
I applaud the effort.
For the record, my son is 16, he and his 17 year old girlfriend requested I drive them to see Hoodwinked, They are huge animation fans.
We like the film! And it's thematically a good film, helping kids find their courage and identity and all that... not a helpless girl as sidekick or mere decoration theme.... It's all good.

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

Jessie
Member # 1722

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jessie   Email Jessie         Edit/Delete Post 
29 million in 2 weeks! WOw! with numbers like this, anything is possible overseas, woo-hoo!! Congrats to the filmmakers~! great job!
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
hey! corey's got balls coming on the board and responding to criticism! you don't see that every day do you?

i've said it before in the other thread and i'll say it again here. i have problems with hoodwinked, but i also can appreciate the time and energy that goes into making it. corey and crew made it happen. and that's huge.

here's to an even brighter future and more success!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
q: I applaud the effort.
For the record, my son is 16, he and his 17 year old girlfriend requested I drive them to see Hoodwinked

I applaud your son's effort. Guys dating older girls is a rarity anymore [Wink]

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

jeffnevins
IE # 247
Member # 1657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffnevins   Author's Homepage   Email jeffnevins         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats- I hope to check it out.

I'm going to disagree on this from Microphone Jonez, though: (testing out the quote feature)

quote:
You have accomplished what 99.999% of posters on this board never will, and who would trade places with you in a heatbeat if given the chance.
How do you know what people have accomplished here?

How do you rate what any of us have accomplished against another?

And trade places?

False.

I would'nt trade places with anyone, ever.

I commend their success, but am quite happy with what I've been fortunate to have accomplished in my career thus far.

Not to mention a very meaningful project I'm teaming up on with a good friend right now.

It's cool, though-

--------------------
My game art & animation-
http://www.tangerinepop.com/GraveShift2/

ovi nedelcu
IE # 95
Member # 581

Now now, we can all share rants here, plenty to go around.

well I guess im the bad guy here for speaking the minds of 90% of the animation industry. I guess we’re all wrong. Do you seriously think im the ONLY one who thinks hoodwinked looks horrible? Ask 10 people in a studio what they think of hoodwinked and 9 out of 10 will say exactly what ive said about it. Only I happen to be the one saying it here and have the balls to actually post my REAL name behind my comments, “mr.blackmocco”.

That comment means exactly that. Just because someone CAN make a film doesn’t mean they should. That goes for $150mil “treasure planet” films, $200mil “final fantasy” films, and $20mil “hoodwinked” films. Im sorry but just knowing the film was derived from a previous hit….COUGH! “sherk” is a big enough red flag for me, let alone the visuals.

But hey, its “independent” right? That makes it OK?

You know ive been a “starving artist” for ten years too, but that doesn’t give me a license to go ahead and write/create my own “independent” shrek knock-off. Or maybe it does, and maybe I should follow the latest trend and ride shrek’s coattails.
Lets see, ill call it “INCRED-BABIES”. The story will be about hobbit babies trying to find a magical pacifier to use against the evil forces of the X-KIDS, mutant teens “gone wild”. Then throw in a surfing baby penguin called “march” who runs into a hip-hop clown fish underwater called “Memo” that bumps his iPOD and is voiced by snoop dog. They team up to save the planet nabooly, but wait there’s more! To make it even more interesting ill go through all my “hans Christian Anderson”,”brothers grimm”, and old folk tale literature to make sure I can cram as many parodies in the film as possible; cause you know that type of thing hasn’t been done yet? Then to top it all off ill ship it to the Philippines to be animated. Wow what a brilliant plan.

And yes if I got 20mil to make a Pigtale film I would. And it would look AMAZING. Not only that, but it would be made right here in the good ol’ U.S-of-A. Imagine that?

I feel like I should say “this is just my opinion”, but I really, really doubt it. Just ask anyone at a studio near you.

>oVi

--------------------
 -

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012