AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Sticky post for all your latest info on Animation Nations Art Competions!

Author Topic: Sticky post for all your latest info on Animation Nations Art Competions!
the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there folks, I'm putting this post up as a means of having a perpetual link in the general discussion forum where news of the latest contest can be linked to.

Sooo.....click here for the latest news!

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm letting the topic float on down. We'll give it another go as soon as possible.

--------------------
 -

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mean to be rude in applying the paddles to this thread....

Is No. 11 temporarily postponed(sp?)?

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not postponed, you can submit. Send it to Brian so he can have it available.

ANers can help us promote the Contest by bumping up submission reminders. Once we reach the minimum we'll go with it.

I've got an idea for adding prizes. We'll follow up on it as soon as we can and add it to the kitty once we get it cleared.

--------------------
 -

the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's about the size of it. Waiting for submissions. Patiently. With my arms held open. Trying not to look pathetic. With a tear in my eye.

*sob*

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

So by the theme of "Kickin' it Old School!" that just opens up innumerous possibilities, right?

A person could do a doodle, a sketch, a painting, a sculpture of clay, a photo montage or a found piece of older art in a drawer and submit it.

A person could play off the part of the theme of "kickin'" and focus on soccer, football, kickball, or the Radio City Music Halls Rockettes*. Heck, a contetant could take a trek by just channeling Freddie Moore or lay down lines like TooLoose LaTrec (sic) fellow. A doodle of dancehall girls showing off their gams.

A person could play off the Old School by aping a French caveman by doing it in the first Old School stylie.

A contestant could get jiggy with the approaches of early art of any of the world's many cool indigenous folks.

A person could explore a whole scores of styles, themes and stuff by kickin' it like Brueghal, Cezanne, Kandinsky, Mary Blair, Milt Kahl, Chagal, Dali, Swinnerton, Suess, Goethe, Schulz, Nast (a ho, ho, ho to yo!), etc.etc.

A person could channel their early childhood attempts at drawing to get really meta.

A contestant could submit their early rendition of their holiday greetings which they make for family, friends, collegues and others and to try garner an extra $100 to help with Christmas costs.
At the least, by submitting, they'd get early feedback on their potential greeting card/gift art designs and maybe some motivation to be creative like that for the upcoming holidays.

A winner of said contest who already subscribes to Animation Mag. could take the subscription and give it away as a Holiday present to someone else.

There should be question marks behind all of the above. But, you know how that goes.

----------
*btw, I heard that the Rockettes signed a renewed contract. Don't know details on it though. Hopefully it was what they wanted and was totally fair.

-------

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

quote:
or a found piece of older art in a drawer and submit it.
By found, I didn't mean someone else's. I meant
something you did earlier in your life.

For instance, what was an early drawing, render, painting, animatic, pose, background, charicature, sculpture, special effect or whatever that you did and were totally geeked about then...heck, that you are still geeked about?

Is there something you have tucked away somewhere that you-- folks in the IE who are eligible to participate in this contest--- still dig a lot?

Is there something you made that you think others would find gah-roovy, far-out, happenin', rad, tubular, the bee's knees, captial, jazzy, resplendant, hot, spot-on, peachy keen, etc. etc.?

"Old School" means something complete different when it can mean what you were doing 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago versus what you are currently doing.

In other words, if you don't want to take the time to make something, take some time over the four day weekend to find something.

And, maybe you'll find that this internetthingamagig and your compooter allow you to do a little bit more with that/those old school piece/s of art. Two birds, one stone.

Make the most of your art this holiday season.
(cue chimes and bells)
-------------------------------

Oh yeah. While only IE members can submit to the contest, anyone registered with a regular account can vote on the submissions.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

yikes.
This topic sank sorta deeply into another page.

Bump!
Do the hustle!

I see that Musashi has an audio link to the dialogue between R. Crumb and Gil Kane. It is a good listen. So, get it while you can.

What does that have to do with this Competition notice thread?

The "Kickin' It..." part of "Kickin' It Old School"

One of the coolest batches of works that Crumb has is when he draws blues and old timey musicians. From the stuff I've had the pleasure of seeing, he really kicked his work up several notches back when he started doing biographical pieces on long-forgotten musicians. If you ever get a chance, check it out. Didn't even know of Charlie Patton prior to reading a Crumb one-pager on him.

Rough segue:
I might be wrong but isn't "Kicking It... " slanguage from rock and roll?

So, if someone is thinking of entering the contest, howzabout drawing or finding a drawing of something you've done that's music related.

Christmas carolers (not so detailed as a Currier and Ives print, but, hey, it could be. The bonus being that you'd have a nice card for the ones you love).
You could scrounge of old sketches of spain (for you Miles Davis buffs; I mean, how long would it take to draw Miles blowin' his horn? A la the "Don Quiote" drawing style? 30 seconds?)

You could submit one of your skateboarding era drawings of thrash metal bands or ska bands;you could submit any drawings of Chuck Berry, Chubby Checker, the Beatles, the Stones (a Jaggerature, if you will);mebbe a pastel of Edith Piaf, perhaps a cut paper image of a 19th C. troubadour; you could show how you were inspired by Esquival, Serge Gainesborn, Django Rienhart, Herb Alpert (bubble bath bathing ladies, anyone?); Drawings, paintings, sketches of Louis Armstong's or Dizzy Gillespie's maliable mugs, the strident elegance of Duke Elllington tickling the keys, paintings of N'awleans parades (sigh), tribal dances, drum circles, that Grateful Dead show you once went to might have inspired something, too. Heck, Surf music led to Jimi Hendrix like beat led to rap--so there's decades of influences and visual delights to be done.

And, it is hard to conceive that noone has any drawings which they've done that were influenced by music or about music. Really hard. Though, I guess anything is possible.

If none of the above musical stylings triggers an impulse to draw and participate in the competition then think of how William Shatner dared to "sing" "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds". If that doesn't inspire ya to show no shame, nothing will.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Ack!

For years I have been on a quest to correctly spell Quixote. Oh the irony...it's got to be squared.

On the aforementioned Herb Alpert album cover:
it was a woman standing in a body sized dollop of whipped cream, not a woman in a bubble bath. My bad. If you haven't seen that album cover before, it isn't as weird as it sounds. Nor is it as weird as that scene in The Who's "Tommy" when a singer ends her song only to find the room flooded with pork and beans. Now that is weird.

Two more music references as I bump up this topic....

Come on, Eileen!

Antic-
ipaaaaayA
shun...
is making [Brian] wait.

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Ratzenhiemer!

I meant to paste the revised list of prizes in the previous post:

Per Charles:

"We've been planning some changes in this contest. We're going to spread the prizes out to the first, second and third place winners.

The first place prize will be $100.

The second, a year's subscription to Animation Magazine.

The third, a year's subscription to Shane Glines' CartoonRetro site.

Brian and I have discussed this and we're working on arranging a 4th place prize as well. Brian will follow up with this soon.

I'd like to thank Shane for his generosity. It's going to make our contests a lot more fun."

[edited for a slightly more impactful format-g]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012