AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Next competition?

Author Topic: Next competition?
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an idea, Brian - Seeing as Loonatics is so hot right now, how about some of you lazy asses (myself included) get off them and redesign a classic character? [Wink]

The idea being to either improve on them or butcher them as much as possible! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

IP: Logged
the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a pretty interesting idea. We've got the other idea that was proposed as well about using a positive & negative shape / silhouette as the starting point for an illustration as well. Anybody want to throw in their thoughts about what we could do for the next contest? We've got no shortage of theme ideas already picked out but perhaps some of these alternate ideas could spur more people to participate.

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely sure why there are so few entries and so few votes, but I'd hazard a guess that you're probably better off moving contest threads to general or OT rather than having them away from the forum.

In my own experience as a mod, stickies can get messy, but they're good for alerting people to things. Having a seperate forum means people won't see it or pass over it. You're more likely to get people to read a sticky here and vote on it rather than seperate it.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Fasty
IE # 97
Member # 2124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fasty   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just an idea, but perhaps take a look at some of the more successful contests on forums on the net and see how they run.

For instance, at CGTalk the challengers have to make their own "WIP" threads where they can get feedback on their ideas and progress.

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
OOH! I have one for you guys...

...Instead of a redesign of a character, why not take a stab at our own version of Wacky Races? We can all design a race car with a different theme...or we can all pick ONE theme and run with it. I haven't really seen a focus here on props. That could be a really cool challenge. I bet we could come up with some really crazy ideas for vehicles.

I'll keep thinking...see what else I can think of.

-mojo

--------------------
 -

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not entirely sure why there are so few entries and so few votes, but I'd hazard a guess that you're probably better off moving contest threads to general or OT rather than having them away from the forum.
That is similar to a noition that crossed my mind.
It is probably a safe bet that most traffic goes through Gen.Disc. and Sidetopics. What I was thinking is to have a redundant sticky post mirrored in each of those forums--heck, maybe in all forums.. That way you can update it from the start (the theme and deadline), the voting reminders and the results.

As it goes, on the lack of pariticpation and voting, it is summertime, ya know. I'm being sunnily optimistic in assessing the lack of participation by the nature of Nature's timiing interfering with everyone's timing. So it goes....

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012