AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » New Concept Art for AMERICAN DOG & RAPUNZEL UNBRAIDED (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: New Concept Art for AMERICAN DOG & RAPUNZEL UNBRAIDED
Thorsten Hasenkamm
IE # 136
Member # 1240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thorsten Hasenkamm   Author's Homepage   Email Thorsten Hasenkamm         Edit/Delete Post 
"American Dog"

Henry, a famous TV dog, finds himself stranded in the Nevada desert. Out in the world for the first time, Henry's tidy life of scripted triumph has come to an end, and his 2,000 mile trek through the real world is just beginning.

-

-

"Rapunzel Unbraided"

Sick to death of storybook endings where true love conquers all, a frustrated witch brings two romantically-challenged teenagers from the real world into the classic fairytale, and transforms them into the legendary long-haired heroine and her gallant prince.

-

-

-

from jimhillmedia

--------------------
 -
 -

IP: Logged
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely stuff. I hope Rapunzel ends up as dynamic as those two sketches!

One things for sure though, I can't wait to see another Chris Sanders. American Dog is really looking great.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robster16   Email robster16         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the look of American Dog, soooo breathtaking! Very cool. Rapunzel looks awesome as well, very nice stuff (but I'm a Glen Keane junky), what I do not like is the description of the story and the way they butcher the classic fairytale to turn it into a sort of "Pleasantville" meets "Shrek" kinda thing. The original story could have been worked over into a very epic, dynamic and interesting movie, I do not get the storyline they are going with...

missed opportunity there...

blackmocco
IE # 202
Member # 2422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackmocco           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, I'm as big a fan of Glen Keane as the next guy but that Rapunzel stuff looks absolutely horrible. Sorry'n'all. Put with that storyline as described and this looks like a complete mess.
Lest anyone gets bent outta shape with that, I don't know anything else about the movie beyond what I've just seen and that's all I'm commenting on. Hopefully these are just really early concept sketches...? <shudders>

--------------------
"...and it was here, in this blighted place, he learned to live again..."

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
From a techie standpoint, I don't envy the TD hair crew on that film!

I really like the drawing of the guy with the pizza box arguing with the girl, but I agree that the story sounds less than groundbreaking. We'll see how it plays out.

It's nice to see something from this movie other than that loop of hair blowing in the breeze!

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding "Rapunzel Unbraided," I for one am NOT sick to death of storybook endings where true love conquers all.

This spin on the "Rapunzel" tale is just what I would expect out of clueless production executives who feel the need to "improve" on classic fairy tales. There's a reason they're classics, moron!

I was looking forward to a new Disney animated classic that would match the artistry of Glen Keane. This sounds like another "Shrek like" attempt to make a hip, edgy, cool movie.

Dumb.

Steve G
IE # 12
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve G   Author's Homepage   Email Steve G         Edit/Delete Post 
Come now, Mr. Fun, you know better....Shrek followed the classic fairytale structure (and classic story structure, for that matter) where true love does conquer all - despite the trappings of making fun of it all...just as I'm sure this retake on Rapunzel will ultimately be also.

--------------------
http://stevenegordon.blogspot.com
http://stevenegordon.com

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

I hear 'ya, Steve G. DreamWorks did "Shrek" and did it well.

I'm just asking Disney to be a little original, and not follow the crowd. Is it just me, or don't you kinda get the feeling the Disney guys are following the DreamWorks model because "Shrek" made the big bucks, and Disney's recent efforts fell flat.

Sure, this modern take on the old classic fairy tale goes all the way back to Jay Ward. I'm just ready for Disney to craft a beautiful classic story that will be enchanting and memorable. Or, could it be they have no idea how to accomplish such a task?

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
The motion stuff for AmDog at Siggraph was exquisite....and I want toys.....

which means....yes...its gonna be amazing.

Rapunzel will probably be good too.
If they remember to keep the heart and throw away the fart(jokes).

The thing I was most impressed with was seeing the entire Bunny Sucker sequence from Wallace and Grommit. It was fantastic. We also get to see a "dog" in the world, as opposed to a grommit, or a robot dog. And it all fit together nicely.
This will be the best "3D puppet animation" autumn, EVER. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
To Blackmocco. Lighten up man. Ok, if those are Glen's drawings they aren't his best, but please, describing them as absolutely horrible is exagerating quite a lot.

And the American Dog stuff looks great, just great. Can't wait for it.

ben radd
IE # 172
Member # 2560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ben radd   Email ben radd         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone attend the talk yesterday that disney gave on past present and future of disney animation?
they showed an amazing CG clip from rapunzel!

Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
"American Dog": Oh, yeah, that looks great. I see the Dog doesn't look as much like a baby camel as before. In the still's he's very cuddly, like a Stitch cousin. [Wink] I already want to find out what adventures Henry will have.

"Rapunzel Unbraided". I think the sketches look really good. I like the facial expressions. There's a lot of life in the characters. But I keep thinking, it's these >2D< sketches that look vibrant. [Frown]

quote:
Regarding "Rapunzel Unbraided," I for one am NOT sick to death of storybook endings where true love conquers all.

This spin on the "Rapunzel" tale is just what I would expect out of clueless production executives who feel the need to "improve" on classic fairy tales. There's a reason they're classics, moron!

I was looking forward to a new Disney animated classic that would match the artistry of Glen Keane. This sounds like another "Shrek like" attempt to make a hip, edgy, cool movie.

Actually, the plot says that the witch is the one frustrated with happy endings, probably she always loses in the happy endings. The plot didn't say that you, the audience, was sick of happy endings.

This premise pretty much is old hat after the "Shrek" films. It might still work if the satire is insightful. But if it's like the "Shrek" films then it won't be. The "Shrek" films were not good satire. All they were were cheap shots and easy put downs. And like Steve G pointed out they still were love-conquers-all plots. Therefore those movies were completely hypocritical, and abhorrent because of that

BTW, Mr. Fun, if you don't want another "hip and edgy" movie, then you shouldn't encourage them by saying "Shrek" did this "well". "Shrek" did NOT do it well, and it's "Shrek"'s fault that we're stuck in this awful trend of fairy-tale parodies.

Graphiteman
IE # 218
Member # 2092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graphiteman   Author's Homepage   Email Graphiteman         Edit/Delete Post 
Lemme guess.
The boyfriend in Rapunzel resembles Jack Black.

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Rapunzel set in the 1980s or something?
old_blue
Member # 3117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_blue   Email old_blue         Edit/Delete Post 
Isnt Jack Black supposed to voice the pizza dude?
Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
i kinda like the character choice made for the guy in the rapunzel sketch.

someone please remind me, is american dog a 2D or CGI production? thanks!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

dr.hong
Member # 3151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dr.hong   Email dr.hong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
matt wilson - Is Rapunzel set in the 1980s or something?
just curious, what makes you ask that?
Rupert Piston
IE # 175
Member # 2875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rupert Piston   Author's Homepage   Email Rupert Piston         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting... the hair and the dress sort of read like Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, that sort of thing, sprinkled with a taste of Pat Benetar.
robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robster16   Email robster16         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, made me wonder as well. No girl or female walks around in a dress and skirt like that these days, reminded me of the 50's, but then the hair doesn't make sense, and the guy looks like he's from the 80's or 90's, so timewise it's not very clear what it is. Not that it matters because at first glance this take on the classic fairytale sucks major ass and has already been done in other animated and live action stories a gazillion times. It's not fresh, not funky, not interesting and if they use contemporary characters from the now to go back to fairytale times, then the contemporary parts will be dated within the next 10 years, which is even worse.

I REAAAAAAAALLY hope they'll stick to the old-fashioned, epic, fairytale plot of Rapunzel for this one, because it CAN be told with drama, excitement, heart and fresh new takes on it without having to rape it and butcher it up like the storyline suggests it will...

ROB

blackmocco
IE # 202
Member # 2422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackmocco           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan P. wrote:
quote:
To Blackmocco. Lighten up man. Ok, if those are Glen's drawings they aren't his best, but please, describing them as absolutely horrible is exagerating quite a lot.
Sorry, Dan, I don't agree. Designs like these are just plain cliched and out of touch. There's no out of the box thinking with anything I've seen here for 'Rapunzel'. OOOhh Jack Black! D'you think he'll be all WACKY'n'stuff? That boat has sailed already. I don't WISH to appear negative but it's kinda hard. This stuff just depresses me in that it's EXACTLY what I expected to see. No risks, no nothing just follow the formula, follow the formula, follow the formula. As I said in my earlier post though, I just hope these are really early concept sketches and the movie's developed into something more interesting to look at.

American Dog looks good, though!

--------------------
"...and it was here, in this blighted place, he learned to live again..."

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
jack might make a good prince.

especially if he went even wackier in the way he and his compadre do their music.

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

old_blue
Member # 3117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old_blue   Email old_blue         Edit/Delete Post 
I know its early on but ADog seemed more flat and ambiant then I was hoping for, but out of all the Disney movies has the best look so far.
Evan Esparza
IE # 214
Member # 3171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evan Esparza   Email Evan Esparza         Edit/Delete Post 
So is American Dog the 3d 2006 version of Benji: The Hunted!

Imagine if we have another one of those Homeward Bound type spin offs! I can't stand another animal duo/trio traveling cross country with the voices of Joan Cussak, Jeff Goldbloom and god help us John Stamos

sputnik
Member # 2914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sputnik   Email sputnik         Edit/Delete Post 
Evan Esparza----you'll seeeeeeee. I guarantee you will be lovin it when it comes out. look what Lasseter did with the old Muppets Christmas special ---Toy Story. Sometimes the execution makes all the difference. And doing it better than it has ever been done---with the best characters----with sincerity and wit and imagination---all in Toy Story----and all in American Dog. I haven't seen the reels but I have seen plenty. Get ready mousketeers.
knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 13 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am alittle disappointed with the character designs for Rapunzel that are shown here. Does anyone know if they have evolved, or are these the most recent versions?
monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
sputnik, you got a LOL for your Henson reference. I wonder how many others got it...?

The Rapunzel drawings are the same ones Don Hahn was showing during their recruiting tour that swung through S.F. a few months ago. The clip Glen Keane showed during the panel was the same as well.

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
The JimHillMedia article has a couple more images -

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1580

Includes an early TS3 pic (not much to see) and some interesting child-catcher-esque images from a movie I've not heard of.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

DLA
Member # 1278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLA   Email DLA         Edit/Delete Post 
Inkan, gotta agree with you about that early "American Dog" design---I thought it looked more like a small female moose than a dog. The newer design looks much better---no doubt this character could be another Stitch for Disney.

Sputnik, I remember that old Henson Christmas special! They even made it a series on the Disney Channel---"Jim Henson's Secret Life of Toys." Interesting paralells with the Henson/Pixar Toy projects (old fashioned worn out toy being replaced by space toy). The Henson special had a funny touch---a windup catnip mouse named "Mew" owned by the family cat.

Can't say I'm excited about what has been released for "Rapunzel" or "The Robinsons." Hopefully they'll turn out OK. Some of the promotional artwork features a character that looks like Snidely Whiplash from Dudley Do-Right.

Looking forward to Chicken Little, though the title character looks too much like the Foghorn Leghorn nerd chicken.

monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
"Some of the promotional artwork features a character that looks like Snidely Whiplash from Dudley Do-Right."

The clips of him that Disney was showing at SIGGRAPH were fantastic. Lots of stretchy, squashy, snakey goodness...

intergalactic
IE # 195
Member # 1760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for intergalactic   Email intergalactic         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you boys & girls that didn't make it to Siggraph you should take a look over on the brew.

www.cartoonbrew.com

There's a link to the footage that Disney was showing at their booth.

Pretty nice looking.

...i

mojodesign
IE # 237
Member # 3158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojodesign   Author's Homepage   Email mojodesign         Edit/Delete Post 
Intergalactic, YOU ROCK! Thanks dude. I didn't go to SIGGRAPH so those clips were a treat.

All of it looks amazing to me! I really hope they pull it off and don't screw it up with the story.

--------------------
 -

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Thanks for the link... American Dog looks superb and has now rocketed up in my chart of must-see's - as if it wasn't already! Wilbur Robinson is not something I'm familiar with, but the squash/stretch and rythym of the animation is really a treat on that villainous looking fella. More HB than Disney in design, though? Still good!

What's it about? Is it based on a US kids book or something?

Lastly, anyone noticed how in 3D Disney seem to have lost their trademark style? I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, it depends where you're coming from (I'm not getting into that debate), but every single thing I'm seeing from the 3D development looks very different to how you'd had classified a Disney film, what, only a couple of years ago. Even the Mignola inspired Atlantis had the same feel, which I'm not getting from these.

They feel more like individual productions that you would've got from the various Disney animation houses during the nineties.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Interesting remark about Disney's trademark style. Something not lost on Disney's Consumer Products Division (the guys who sell this stuff) as they find their new products almost indistinguishable from the competition.

Like you, I'm not about to enter into a debate over which style is better. But, the marketeers who depend on the Disney house style to keep earning them millions are more than a little bit concerned. Walt Disney was no fool. He knew that the Disney style, or whatever you want to call it, was recognized around the world. If that "recognition factor" becomes just a little bit blurred, the result could cost the company millions.

Something else to worry about as we move toward the future.

guysmith
IEcm
Member # 2678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guysmith   Email guysmith         Edit/Delete Post 
Those Rapunzel sketches aren't bad but they look a bit too stiff to be Keane's drawings.
-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
The bad guy in the Robinson footage has the same proportions as the crickets in BUG'S LIFE. That's cool. Looks weird and menacing.

Can Disney possibly pass up the opportunity and temptation to have a robot in this movie say "Danger, Wilbur Robinson"?

Methuselah
IE # 148
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah   Email Methuselah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those Rapunzel sketches aren't bad but they look a bit too stiff to be Keane's drawings.
They're Glen's. [Smile]
robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

now THIS is what I was looking for:

original fragonard painting:
 -

Disney's Rapunzel Unbraided stills:
 -

-

even though the second has a bit of a barbie's rapunzel level to it, but I'm sure movement would give it a whoooole other dimension (literally)...

more on this and on Glen Keane's presentation for Rapunzel Unbraided and his story on why doing CG-animation on jimhillmedia.com:

// www.jimhillmedia.com

ROB

eboles
IE # 266
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted      Profile for eboles   Email eboles         Edit/Delete Post 
wow ...maybe he can actually pull it off.
robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

more pics from Wilbur Robinson and American Dog from this blog:

billsart.blogspot.com

-

-

robster16
IE # 160
Member # 620

odd, when I previewed the post, the images worked. Anyway, here are links to the pictures in question:

// wilbur robinson image
// american dog image

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012