AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Contest #10 is up!

Author Topic: Contest #10 is up!
the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
Check it out over here!

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
A reminder folks that the long awaited AN Contest #10 is up.

Here's your chance to win $100 bucks and a year's subscription to Animation Magazine courtesy of Animation Magazine.

If you're not in the IE and would like to participate, get in touch with us and request a Contributed Membership to the IE. We've got plenty to assign thanks to the generosity of many of our members who've given beyond what was necessary to maintain their subscribed account. We've had a few people from the contests last year who got their accounts upgraded thanks to their winning the contest.

The winner is decided by our membership by virtue of a poll, the results of which are disclosed after the contest ends. If you're not fully subscribed and you win, we deduct your first year's fee and send you the remaining $85.

Please keep in mind that if you are not in the US and win a contest, you'll need a Paypal account for us to get you your prize money.

For more details go to the Contest Forum and read through what Brian has posted.

http://www.animationnation.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000027#000000

Good luck to those who will be entering and as always...

Keep Creating!

--------------------
 -

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya Brian, Charles,

Couldja update this thread with a (daily?) countdown to the deadline and/or how many participants you have so far?

Just curious.
g

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Will do! I leave the updates to Brian since he's handling the material. I'll be happy to pop a reminder up on a regular basis. I look forward to the contests.

--------------------
 -

Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Will do! I leave the updates to Brian since he's handling the material.
Hmmm... I hope this silence doesn't mean there's no material for Brian to handle. Because I'd like to see what the others can come up with.

BTW, Charles, did you get the money for my next year at AN? I sent it through Paypal last week.

--------------------
Tekenen is schrijven en spreken tegelijk.

Brian Reynolds
IE # 50
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Reynolds           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, when I left for work this morning I had two submissions already, but the deadline for final submissiosn aren't until Sunday, July 31st. [Big Grin]

It's nice to get some submissions more than four hours before the deadline. [Yes]

--------------------
-Brian Reynolds

Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh... I thought it was this week. Well, that's okay, I got more stuff to do anyway. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tekenen is schrijven en spreken tegelijk.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Don't forget about this, guys! Deadline is coming around.

http://www.animationnation.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000027#000000

--------------------
 -

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to make some adjustments to a design, then I'm going to get it done and dusted ASAP.

I like what I've done. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing this back to the attention of everybody. Please get your submissions ready by Sunday night.

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Greetings, folks! I wanted to let everyone know that we're extending the deadline for an additional week so that we can encourage additional entries. We've got three so far and while I think that they're great and offer some fun choices we'd like to have at least four submissions before the voting commences.

I'd like to hear what people think on this. I had picked four entries as an arbitrary number so that we could have more of a friendly competition amongst the community here but perhaps the more appropriate choice would be to extend the time for submissions from two weeks to three, or maybe even four.

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say a monthly competition is better. I've got a job and haven't been able to work on or polish my drawing up as much as I want to... that said, I'm interested in what's already been put in!

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Can't speak for the other two folks who've apparently submitted entries...haven't seen what they've entered...

I can say that I did submit something about a week ago. Just looked at it again. In terms of effectiveness and quality the cartoon is in the neighborhood of Notsogood.
It is just one of those efforts that I'm not too pleased with, quite frankly. The idea is enh and the execution is thhhht. In fact, it looks absolutely nothing like anything I would want to draw or see. But- sigh- I did.

So, IMO, there's sorta only two entries thus far....If neither of those two win, I hope it is you, Kind Drawer.

While those other two current entries might be worthy of the Louvre or the Silver Screen, it does suck that there's only two in the running so far.

It would be cool if there were a double-digits worth of entries. 15 minutes or an hour, a pencil, some paper and a scanner is pretty much all those IE members need to be in the running .

The theme for the contest is: "I can't work like this!"

????????sooooo whatya waiting for????????
Do you just want to be entertained or do you want to entertain?

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

We're waiting for at least 1 more submission to get the voting for Contest #10 underway. That's $100 to the winner and a year's subscription to Animation Magazine.

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000027;p=1#000008

--------------------
 -

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Gergley, aint that just the way? I've looked at mine with fresh eyes and see a ton of mistakes in it now.

And what is it with original images looking better than scans?

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

quote:
aint that just the way? I've looked at mine with fresh eyes and see a ton of mistakes in it now.
And what is it with original images looking better than scans?

By look better, do you mean the scans are not sharper, have worse contrast or otherwise?

With what I put together for the contest, it was a slightly different stylistic approach for me. That's the largest reason why my submission seems so sub-standard.. Gave myself a week between sumbitting it and reviewing it to figure that out.
Also, I belatedly realized that if I had taken some time, the gag coulda been stretched into a muli-paneled format; w/ about 3-4 panels to set up and resolve the gag.
Oh well, so it goes.

Oh yeah. Should anyone happen to stumble across this thread and read the latest entries, here's a topic which is somewhat related to the theme of the Cartoon Contest:

A Great Way To Quit A Job

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012