AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to SideTopics.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Who here uses Ebay to shop or sell?

Author Topic: Who here uses Ebay to shop or sell?
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I've turned into Mr. Ebay and am having a friggin' ball! I just snagged two Tony Cipriano 'Space Ghost' maquettes that are just too cool for words.

One of the guys I buy from is a top knotch Ebay marketer and we had a chat today. Where he gets the cool cartoon/animation toys is beyond me but we did laugh about how cool 'Jonny Quest' and those HB toons and toys are. I learned alot and asked him if he ever had stuff autographed. He said no and I told him to visit a convention and see how the legends autograph stuff.

Then I thought about the pros who post on AN. Do any of you sell on Ebay or know how? Do any of the pros autograph or make deals to autograph stuff?

It would be cool if AN had it's own Ebay pro and you guys teamed up to sell stuff and maybe for charities or just to make dough. I'm sure there're alot of fans of yours on Ebay that know the score.

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

IP: Logged
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried selling a painting on there.. I got 5 bucks for it. The person who bought it was a friend who felt sorry for me.. [Big Grin]

I've found some great buys on there.. including a andrew loomis book that's worth $300.. I got for $14 because the person who posted the auction didn't know better, and misspelled his name.
Andrew Lomis= $14
Andrew Loomis=$300

Noogy
IE # 18
Member # 705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noogy   Email Noogy         Edit/Delete Post 
I buy practically everything on Ebay nowadays. Computer parts, video games, movies, old hardware for work that you can't find anywhere else. A few Ipods. Ebay is the place to be.

Haven't purchased any art though.

--------------------
-Dean Dodrill

-

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Noogy your art is worth it's weight in gold over and over. Your sig is enough that I just sit here and stare at it for hours.

I've bought so much stuff on Ebay for myself and colleagues that Ebay has been sending me letters of appreciation. I'm meeting marketers who make inhuman amounts of money on Ebay selling toon related materials. I figure if they're selling toon stuff they might want to pitch in with the creators old and up and coming and earn capital.

For example, what if one of you guys had a shirt or pencil owned by Walt Disney or Joe and Bill or any of the legends of animation. It'd sell! With the right marketer and promoter you're danged tootin' it would sell.

I know some of you do charities etc. Why not team up with your fans who ARE making a mint?

--------------------

marmax
IE # 270
Member # 1505

Icon 10 posted      Profile for marmax   Email marmax         Edit/Delete Post 
Greg B: That's funny. I own a pen with Joseph Barberra's name on it! It's a cheapo pen though, so I doubt I could get rich off it. [Razz]
Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use it that much . . . or care. I have won one or two auctions and I think anything I won I was the only bidder on.
SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I use ebay a lot, especially for computer hardware, graphics cards and so on. My last purchase was a surround sound system for over half the price it sells in the shops, and it works perfectly PLUS it's actually from a guy who works at Panasonic, so he knows all about it inside and out!

My Cintiq was also from ebay. An absolute bargain and the guy who sold it was really tops. I ended up collecting it on my trip to California, ended up sitting on a rooftop with a spectacular view of San Francisco drinking Jasmine tea and talking about animation.

Ebay's great. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Sketchbook
IE # 135
Member # 1581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchbook   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I've been selling on ebay since it started. I used to sell only collectible items, but now I'm using ebay as a gift shop to sell artwork of my "Jinx the Black Cat" character. It's an "ebay store" which lets you keep the items running non-stop without the time limits of an auction. It's dramatically cheaper to list as well. About a nickel per item. You can only price them as buy-it-now items.

Here's a link if you want to see how an ebay store is set up. I chose the "gallery" format which shows larger thumbnails of the images... which is more suitable for artists.

Jinx's Ebay Art Store

The stores can be customized easily with your own colour preferences and graphics. I think they're still offering a 'first month free' promotion for anyone who's wanting to open a store or giftshop. There's a monthly fee of $15.95 US after that. All the details can be found in the "Help" A-Z section on their website...under "S" for stores.

Something to keep in mind though, the store items do not show up in a regular ebay search, unless the search returns less than 10 auction-results. Most ebayers don't bother to do a "store only" search either.
So, in other words, you will have to set up weekly similar item auctions, and place links to your ebay-store in the description to get people to find your store items. It does work, but the listing fees can add up. It'd be nice if there was a separate ebay store website where the searches only listed these items.
In addition to the auction links, you can of course put links on your website... to the entire store, separate store categories, or individual items.

I've used ebay to get some good deals on collectibles in the past. There's a lot of original animation cels and drawings on there too.
I haven't bought much lately though. I use ebay for my giftshop because people seem to trust using ebay, with it's feedback system, more than just buying blindly over the internet.

Hope this helps,

--------------------
Mike

-

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Marmax I think that's a neato item! I have a pal who is one of the top marketers on Ebay. Lives right here in California. He offered to help anyone out in the toon biz. He can show you the ropes. I don't know how he gets the stuff he does. I bought the Herculoids toy set for like 60% off! He even tossed in an extra Zandor and Zok! When I told him that Alex Toth was still alive he almost fainted!

Ebay works like that. You could have a leftover sandwich that Nicolas Cage ate and there'll be someone out there willing to pay top dollar for it.

Give it a try and see how much the bidding goes for!

Squarejaw, I have had so many bargains on Ebay it's the first website I go to when I wake up and last when I go to sleep. I must've bought multiples of every Underdog toy they've ever made.

Some items I've had to bid high on BUT no sooner than I buy them then someone who lost the bid or some big shot dealer will email me begging to pay me twice or three times as much for them.

Few years ago I bought a set of the "Love Hina" toys based on the Japanese series and lordy be! I wish I had kept them in the packages!

If you have a new toy line and you want to make cash fast? To heck with the toy stores. Just make em' and post em' on Ebay. It's like having a 35 million customer store right there.

Squarejaw, when it comes to hardware I have to be careful what I buy. I don't buy software from Ebay. I'll get it from Amazon instead.

You should see this 3D Flintstone chess set I bought. It's so cool lookin' I just leave it on the wall. Won't open it!

I have literally saved probably $10k this month alone and met a dozen or so top top Ebay marketers who just LOVE me cause I pay on the nose!

One thing that I bought that was really neat was a box of Mighty Mouse figurines. They're like 20 or so to a box 3" high in three poses. I had to have em'. Then I noticed that you can attach them to other objects and make your own private products. I have a Mighty Mouse desk clock, desk lamp, etc.! People actually think I bought em' that way.

If you get the right marketer and know how to put on the shmooze you could sell anything on Ebay.

I saw some original Doug Wildey stuff on Ebay. I was dying to get it but bidding went through the roof.

I get sick seeing comics and toys I had as a kid that I tossed out going for thousands at a clip. If I had my toy sets from 1968, just that ONE year, it would be worth about $15k today.

Gad I wish I had kept those original Hot Wheels MIB!

--------------------

Scotty Arsenault
IE # 178
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scotty Arsenault   Author's Homepage   Email Scotty Arsenault         Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought 6 animation cels on eBay, but I've never sold anything.

--------------------
 -

Cartoons for the Common Man!

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, naturally I check up on things before I buy. But no problems so far. [Wink]

I've made a mistake buying software once before. Never again.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

scaredofbees
IE # 194
Member # 2726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredofbees   Author's Homepage   Email scaredofbees         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a mental list of things that I search for on ebay just about everyday. When you do this you start to get a good feel for that particular market. So much in fact, that when I've seen some stuff sold elsewhere (online or used at a flea market), I've picked it up to resell.

I've bought a lot of music gear off of ebay, particularly bass guitars. If I get bored with them, or decide I don't really like that particular bass, I can always get back what I paid for it and sometimes more if I resell it on ebay. I was able to make an extra $120 from a bass that I spent $20 on a new pickgurad for. Go figure.

You should check out half.com. They are a division of ebay. It's like a whole "buy it now" site devoted to books, music, movies, etc. I've found a lot of graphic novels through there at ridiculously cheap prices.

--------------------
 -

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
Every now and again I clean out the closets and put the junk on ebay. It sells for ridiculous amounts of money. Once I bought a motherboard on ebay for $30. I was sick when I was installing it, and a violent, abrupt sneezing fit caused me to break the board in half. I put it up for sale on ebay as an "irreparably broken mother board, " and got $40 for it. I've gotten tons of spare change from ebay, selling stuff that would normally go into the dumpster. People are nuts.

I get about half my PC components from ebay. Old GeForce cards, stuff like that, slightly used for about half discount retail. Never been burned in five years. I'm currently working on a microbudget movie, and all the wardrobe and some props came through ebay. Boots, jackets, etc, originally $100 or more, gotten for less than $5 each.

A while back I got the urge to re-acquire some toys from my childhood, and ebay was the way. I got an UNOPENED Thimble City for $22 - and the seller spent $16 for shipping! These things usually sell for over $200 in beat-up condition. I got a Magnasticks for $7, and an Easy Show projector in great shape, with movies and original box, for $19.

Ebay is cool.

rostrum
Member # 256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rostrum   Email rostrum         Edit/Delete Post 
i bought a container of Ollie Johnson pencil shavings from Pinnochio.
Russian Judge
IE # 174
Member # 3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russian Judge   Author's Homepage   Email Russian Judge         Edit/Delete Post 
I buy lots on eBay - primarily computer and electronics, but also rare videos. The British miniseries "Whoops Apocalypse" (I've gone through two VHS tapes of it) and a remarkable set of "Twilight Zone" DVD's (not the ones currently available, by the way) are my best scores.

One of my regular search items are components from Radio Design Labs. They make these little modules for broadcasting and recording electronics - balanced mike preamps, mixers and the like in little plastic boxes about 1" x 2" x 1/2", with sticky tape and Velcro for mounting anywhere. These cost $100 and up each new; I can get them for $15-20, used, on eBay. I have to use two searches, for the full name and for "RDL" (which also brings up car parts for some reason).

But selling? I wouldn't have nerve enough to sell a broken-in-half motherboard or some of Pinocchio's boogers. One of my greatest character flaws is honesty. I refuse to sell anything that I see as worthless; I can't cheat anyone and live with myself. Unless and until I run into a big wholesale lot of something that's worthwile (and again, I couldn't steal those items) I can't sell on eBay.

I once bought a Canon printer from some guy in Tampa, and rather than paying for shipping I made a trip to him to pick it up on a Friday morning after work. Turns out he was tht IT guy for a banking company. I (shambling into a classy office in my work clothes, basically jeans and shirt) interrupted a board meeting of his tie-and-suit bosses, who called him from the back room, and he got me the printer.

He had a pickup truck with a locked back, with ten of the remanufactured printers in the back! And he said he had a garage full of the things. Now, if I had a sweetheart deal to get a stockpile of things with value like that, sure, I'd sell.

(My nephew, currently suffering with a back injury, has sold a lot of stuff that his mom - my sister - has gotten at garage sales. She's a wily buyer and a tough negotiator. He has the patience and the tech knowledge to sell. Again, I can't obtain stuff like that honestly.)

--------------------
See the new, updated TOON Magazine Online
at http://www.toonmag.com

-FP-
IE # 13
Member # 914

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -FP-   Author's Homepage   Email -FP-         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn't have nerve enough to sell a broken-in-half motherboard or some of Pinocchio's boogers. One of my greatest character flaws is honesty
It's honest if you say BROKEN in the item title and description. It's honest if you say PINOCCHIO's BOOGERS and it's actually Pinocchio's boogers.
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Now this is networking!!!

These bargains and discounts are a benefit in the short and long term!

A new musician or comics person or filmmaker can literally sell their initial runs on Ebay! To heck with the distributors. They charge too much in the first place and for what?

A girl up the street from me told me she and her boyfriend put their CD of their band on Ebay and just listed it as rare new punk band and the sold enough units to move to this neighborhood and equip their studio to the max! I was wondering why they were so happy and why you couldn't see through their condo windows. They're blocked by music equipment and shades. I knew they were musicians but dang! All Ebay!

The post office sees me coming and they FLEE! The postwoman dumps my stuff off on the front porch and it looks like Santa Claus had an accident.

I have two toys left and my TV Land/Saturday Morning motif studio will be complete! Muahahahahaaa!

I had to buy a new laptop just to put in the storage room to handle all this stuff.

I stopped by Meltdown the comic store this week and they had awesome stuff in there. But I could get it all for half price on Ebay.

--------------------

eboles
IE # 266
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eboles   Email eboles         Edit/Delete Post 
Any ebay horror stories?

I bought some stuff from a seller, and after a few weeks of not recieving it, I check ebay, and his feedback has gone right into the gutter. He had a good rating when I bought the stuff. A few days later, it turns out that he is no longer listed on ebay. I'm still corresponding with him to try to get the stuff.

The other thing is if you ever try any of the ebay 'live auctions' be careful. They are much the same as real auctions, and if you've been to real auctions, you may know how in the heat of things you can sometimes lose your nerve. The heart starts beating faster, and sometimes you may get a bit carried away.

I put bids on the one item I wanted, got it, and then in the excitement, left a bid on the next item, which I didn't want, but which I thought would be bid higher. But there were no other bidders. Well I got that damn thing, paid a fortune on shipping, and have never unpacked the goofy-looking $500 piece of junk. On top of that I believe the description was misleading. Thankfully I haven't made anymore expensive follies since. The large box sits in my bedroom as a constant reminder of the foolishness.

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hockey Frog   Email Hockey Frog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Any ebay horror stories?

EBay and beer don't mix!

--------------------
"I was obliged to work hard. Anyone who works equally hard will succeed, equally."
Johann Sebastian Bach

Russian Judge
IE # 174
Member # 3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russian Judge   Author's Homepage   Email Russian Judge         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Panucci, it doesn't matter if you present the broken motherboard or Pinocchio's boogers honestly in the ad. Simply through the fact that you're presenting it for sale you are saying "This has worth." To me, that act itself is like kicking a blind man down a flight of stairs and stealing the pennies from his cup.

I could dig clothing crap out of my closets that I haven't, could never and will never wear and post an ad, and cheat someone out of their hard-earned money. But I will not be dishonest. I would rather donate it to Goodwill - without that also-dishonest act of claiming it as a tax deduction - than rob somebody on eBay who just fell off the lettuce truck.

As far as being cheated, I was - not on eBay, but on Yahoo Auctions. It was software, which was promised to be genuine and original, which it wasn't. I protested and tried to apply for Yahoo's auction protection, but missed the very brief time period.

Curiously, the guy who sold me the stuff (claiming his SON sold the pirated software) sent me an e-mail asking how he could make good. I think Yahoo suspending his account might have had something to do with him finally responding. I told him a refund would be fine, and I never heard from him again. Undoubtedly he (or his supposed son) are doing the same thing elsewhere.

--------------------
See the new, updated TOON Magazine Online
at http://www.toonmag.com

eboles
IE # 266
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eboles   Email eboles         Edit/Delete Post 
Well there are also those things that to the average person would seem worthless, but to the right collector could be desireable. How many times have things been thrown out because the owners didn't know what they had(usually happens when people inherit stuff). On the other hand sometimes junk is just junk. I too would have a hard time taking someone's money for that busted motherboard.
The Mod
Administrator
Member # 854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Mod   Email The Mod         Edit/Delete Post 
Moving this discussion to the Side Topics forum

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012