AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » R.I.P. Joe Grant...

Author Topic: R.I.P. Joe Grant...
timidbull
Member # 2371

Icon 4 posted      Profile for timidbull   Email timidbull         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys...

I just heard/read thru the animation podcast website www.animationpodcast.com that Joe Grant has passed away today...I don't know too much about the legend, but all I know is that his presence and knowledge will be missed by all in the animation community...

A sad day for all.

-R. [Frown]

IP: Logged
Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad. I was thinking myself recently that I should try to meet him.
monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
And another huge figure in our industry's history slips away.

Rest in peace, Joe. We'll miss you.

Kevin
IE # 44
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin         Edit/Delete Post 
What an amazing man and an amazing career. Like Christian, I'd recently had the thought that I should try to meet him. It wouldn't have been hard, but I never got around to it. Talk about a life well lived.

Godspeed, Joe.

sputnik
Member # 2914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sputnik   Email sputnik         Edit/Delete Post 
I have known Joe for over fifteen years. I just had lunch with him yesterday in fact. We had our usual laughs and stories about the past. In particular about Walt's brother Ray and how he used to sell insurance to all of the disney studios artists. He would go office to office and put the squeeze on all. It was sort of expected that you buy insurance from him. Until Bill Tytla broke his pelvis bone when his polo pony fell on top of him. Ray refused to pay up until Walt finally stepped in and made ray pay after about a year of studio drama and hulabaloo. After that ray sort of vanished. I loved how Joe said it always looked like ray was a bum who found a suit and put it on. It never looked right somehow on him. He still looked like a bum with his fedora on and his ubiquitous cigar clenched in his teeth.
Anyway---Joe is still alive as far as I am concerned. All of us who know and love Joe will never let his style, belief system and sense of wonder at all things new ever diminish. He taught us to stay in the current world and keep cracking open new nuts, dont just stare at all the old shells from yesterday.

knowledge
IE # 258
Member # 462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowledge   Email knowledge         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I just saw Joe at the Oscars, accompanied by his gorgeous granddaughter. He was still quick with his wit and was very happy to see that Lorenzo was up for the Oscar - it would have been so sweet if it had won!

Funny enough the first time I met him was at a wrap party in the early 90's, I had heard he was there and hadn't even known he was still alive so I made a mad dash to say hello. As I arrived in front of him I said "Joe Grant!! I thought you were dead?!" and with a smile he replied "Well, I ought to be!". A very warm hearted and sweet man - and one of the legends of our industry!

RIP Joe - you done good!

Semaj
Member # 3131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semaj   Email Semaj         Edit/Delete Post 
That's terrible! And his 97th birthday was just around the corner. [bawling]
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
My office was just down the hall from Joe Grant. On occasion, he would ask me to come down and help him with his computer. I was impressed. Even in his nineties, Joe continued to learn.

We talked about many things. The films of Miyazaki, the remarkable growth at Pixar, and the need to bring art back to Disney. I still remember Joe saying over and over, "Where are the artists?" He saw the problems with the recent Disney films, but few listened to him.

I've had the honor of working with Joe Grant on a number of recent films. Just his presence made us all feel a connection to Disney's past, and if we tried hard enough we could accomplish something great. With Joe's passing, the link to "Old Disney" grows more tenuous, and the legacy is in danger of being forgotten altogether.

q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a good interview with Joe on the Victory Thru Airpower DVD.

Years ago my son had a tutor who, in casual conversation mentioned, " Since you're in Animation, you ought to meet my dad, he worked on Snow White." Her Dad was Joe Grant. I threw a dinner party at my home in his honor, and invited a few folks eager to meet the legend.

The next day after the dinner, Joe sent me a gigantic arrangement of gorgeous flowers and a thank you note. I have never felt so full of delight as when I received the flowers from Joe Grant.

I just realized its time for me to send flowers and a thank you note to Joe.

[spelling]

[ May 09, 2005, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Mod Too ]

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
Q, that is a wonderful story. Wish I could've met the man at least once.

Rest in peace Joe.

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, wish I could have met Joe Grant. I'm sorry to hear of his passing. [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
This is sad news. While I never met Mr Grant in person, we did have a few email exchanges after his 2004 AWN article:

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2065&page=2

In the article, the interviewer asked Joe if 3D animation had him excited. His reply was:

quote:
There’s a certain subtlety and there’s something you can do with the puppetry, which you can’t do in line. You can attempt it, and you can take as an example the Tex Avery type of technique that moved into Ice Age beautifully. And if you had done the same thing in line it wouldn’t be as funny. I’m positive of that because of the truth that comes from the realism.
Having worked on "Ice Age", I was honored that someone with such a background mentioned that film by name as an example of what was good about CG. I had some friends at Disney at the time, and I got Joe's email from one of them.

I wrote him a quick email, more of a fan letter actually, telling him how happy I was that he enjoyed "Ice Age". I was pretty floored when he wrote me back a lengthy response.

Even with such a long career in 2D animation, he saw what was possible with CG.

He was one of the people who not only "got it", but kept putting out high quality work right up to the last.

Big shoes to fill, to be sure.

RIP Joe.

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
ABC Radio news had a mention of Joe's passing this morning. Better four days late than never, I s'pose
Semaj
Member # 3131

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Semaj   Email Semaj         Edit/Delete Post 
The last thing I want to know about Joe's death is how much it's going to affect Disney feature animation? Is there a chance that Joe's continuing projects will see the light of day? Will the department ever find anyone equally creative enough to fill Joe's shoes?
Semaj
Member # 3131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semaj   Email Semaj         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on which source is true (one says May 15, and the other says May 17), Joe Grant would've turned 97 this week.
Christian
IE # 211
Member # 3132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it's May 15. I wrote a report of the funeral here:
http://antiquatedviews.blogspot.com/2005/05/joe-grants-funeral.html

and a couple trade ads made in tribute to him:

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00003470.html

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012