AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » R.I.P. Edgar Friedman 1912-2005

Author Topic: R.I.P. Edgar Friedman 1912-2005
bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 9 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to post this sad note on the passing of my dear,dear friend (and, at one time, bowling league teammate) Eddie Friedman. He had a lovely long life,wonderful career, adoring family.
Your many friends miss you so much already,Ed..
Much love,
Bronnie

Animator, director and long-time Guild supporter ED FRIEDMAN passed away on
April 29 at the age of ninety-two. He had suffered a stroke about a year
ago, and he had again been hospitalized earlier this month.

From 1933 until 1989 he worked for Iwerks, Mintz/Screen Gems, John
Sutherland, Disney, UPA, Format, Bagle Productions, Ed Graham and Filmation.
He was active in the Screen Cartoonists Guild and he had served on Local
839's Executive Board for almost thirty years. He received the Golden Award
in 1984.

Services will be this Monday, May 2, at 2 pm, at Mount Sinai Memorial Park,
5950 Forest Lawn Drive in Los Angeles (east of Barham, next to Forest Lawn
Cemetery); phone (800) 600-0076 or (323) 469-6000. Information and
directions at http://www.mt-sinai.com/los_angeles.html.

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

IP: Logged
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Condolensces Bronnie.

92 years of age and an animator!

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Ed Friedman. Please pass my personal condolences and that of the AN community to his family.

--------------------
 -

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 9 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Bronnie, I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Edgar Friedman.
Bruce
IE # 1
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce         Edit/Delete Post 
One by one they pass away, and the stories they might have told, the skills they might have passed on are lost or reconfigured by time and memory.

I can’t say that I knew Eddie well, but we were what might be called “occasional” acquaintances – lately the occasion was the annual union Christmas party. During the year and a half that I worked at Filmation, though, Eddie had the office next to mine, and I remember that he would pop in every morning for a couple of minutes, as if making his rounds, and share something – studio gossip, a political opinion, something he’d seen on TV the night before (that irked him), or a personal story.

Eddie had that quality that I’ve seen in a lot of the cartoonists I’ve met whose careers spanned the better part of the last century (Irv Spence, Manny Perez, Marty Taras, Vance Gerry and many others,) an almost Zen-like equanimity coupled with a gently cynical sense of the absurd. They’d seen it all, and nothing could surprise them. Eddie was a pro, and though it probably sounds like a cliché, I have to say that I never ran into him when he didn’t have a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye, as if he'd just recalled a joke he was about to tell you. Sleep well, Mr. Friedman. We’ll miss you.

Rob Lamb
Member # 343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Lamb   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Lamb         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Eddie Friedman. He directed some of the shows I boarded at Filmation in the 80's. A steady, experienced hand at the wheel.

My condolences to his family and friends.

--------------------
http://www.robertartwriter.com/

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012