AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Important Notice to all AN Accounts

Author Topic: Important Notice to all AN Accounts
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
It becomes necessary from time to time to get centered a little before the site can go forward. I think that now is as good a time as any to level things out somewhat concerning some of AN's policies.

Every account that has every been cleared for participation has to agree to the Terms of Membership. This is the text where you click on the "I Agree" button upon registration. It is the contract by which each AN account is committed to.

Part of the Terms of Membership has this clause.

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use AnimationNation.com to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

If any of the mods or account administration feels that one member is consistently harassing others, the account in question will be suspended without notice until they agree to abide by the Terms of Membership. This policy applies to all accounts, including subscribed ones.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Hyperactive account activity will lead to the suspension of an account's posting permission.

If you're not a subscribed member or a member who's subscription has not been renewed and you post on AN on a daily basis, you need cut back on your activity. Our web hosting expenses are rising. Everytime a message is left on AN it adds to our data base and we wind up paying higher fees as disk usage grows. We want to sponsor contests, purchase equipment and expand in other ways but it becomes more difficult when our operating expenses grow and active users don't subscribe.

If you want to participate on AN on a daily basis, then please upgrade your account and help pay for the expense of your activity. Otherwise, kindly settle your activity down. Be selective about the topics you want to comment on. Your cooperation will help us keep the board open for free accounts.

If you're a subcribed account and are flooding the boards with dozens of messages a day, this is an abuse of our forums and could lead to the suspension of your account. The board's flood controls have been initiated and may kick in if your messages are coming too many too fast. Please use reasonable judgment in the amount of messages you post on a daily basis.

As always, thanks for your thoughtful cooperation.

--------------------
 -

Capt. Wow
IE # 208
Member # 3145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capt. Wow   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

There is an issue here at A.N. with "in-club" behavior which has been motivating me to post a little more frequently than I would like to. I said before I posted at Skwigly for quite some time, and they never had problems with me or with the frequency of my posts because there weren't political problems there.

If people are unable to contact you without spreading confidential information to the entire community, it hurts the morale of the board, and causes harm to community members who may be singled out by some of the bullies you have given authority to here. And that's not saying much for the politics of this community.

Yesterday, a private email I sent you to the academy was forwarded to the "AN staff" (whoever that is or happens to be at a given time) and now peoples attitudes have changed towards me and I don't feel welcome here anymore. There is a difference between hosting a community and conspiring with an in-club and playing fickle favoritism. Personally, I would like to be able to feel welcome here without having to contend with this kind of climate. If not simply because all the other Canadians post here.

All I ask is that you not take advantage of the monopoly you have attained in the animation forum milieu. It is enabling people with political and financial interests to push out competition and harrass people who deserve better treatment. I feel this is a reasonable request.

Capt. Wow
IE # 208
Member # 3145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capt. Wow   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
In addition, as someone who has for many months been benefitting the A.N. organisation with feedback and advise which, you, Charles, have accepted graciously at every turn, I would also like to reccommend you give access to Paypal donations for the A.N. board. Personally, I would like to help ease the financial burden you are carrying.

We don't have much, but as always, we'd love to help out.

Striker
IE # 210
Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Striker   Email Striker         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to pipe in here and say Capt. Wow, that I'm absolutely sure Charles would NOT share any confidential information with anyone who wasn't supposed to know. I'm sure that the AN Staff' are very professional and discreet and wouldn't share your e-mail with the intention of slighting you in an way.
I'm not with the 'in' crowd or anything here on AN, I just know, from being on this board for over 3 years (or 4 I'm not sure) that Charles and the rest of the AN staff have been nothing if not fair, democratic and discreet when dealing with the members of this board.

'nuff said [biggrin]

--------------------
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
- Thomas Dewar

Capt. Wow
IE # 208
Member # 3145

Striker, I am genuinely glad if others are finding it a pleasant atmosphere. But I am not the firts to have concerns in this area. I am just hoping somehow it can feel positive for everyone here without people feeling they have to be phony or overly flattering just to get by.
Ravenshoe
IE # 186
Member # 783

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ravenshoe           Edit/Delete Post 
As one who has "philosophical" differences with Charles and the AN staff from time to time, I have to say that (in my opinion) AN is run in a fair and democratic way. Any perception of an 'in' crowd is more a function of geography than gender, finances, professional status or any other factor.

The fact that a pro living in Canada can seek the advice and opinion of a student living in The Netherlands is a testament to the success of AN.

Capt. Wow
IE # 208
Member # 3145

Ravenshoe, how can your opinion hold any weight after you and I had a public disagreement on this board less than a week ago because you were harassing me? Do you think my partner was pleased to see the threats you uttered? He has lost all respect for you.

This kind of behavior is such a significant part of the problem, Ravenshoe. You are pretending to be objective but you are just here to discredit me for your own personal gain, and that of your associates. You can promote yourself without being offensive toward others, and yet you choose this aggressive, counterproductive behavior. If I shut up and take it, I suffer, and my whole family suffers too. If I defend myself, I am some "monkey" who deserves to be slammed and skewered. How is that right?

Anyways, I can't defend myself anymore because it's all been set up so I can now be suspended for "flooding the boards" for doing just that. All very clever. All that energy being poured into this strategic nonsense to hurt honest, warm people who could be doing a whole lot of good for kids and their folks. So whatever. Have a blast if you get your jollies from crapping on someone with two kids to feed who is honestly just acting to the best of her abilities in the interests of the ENTIRE community. And we're just here to try and find one honest, experienced person to work with.

But don't expect people to be fooled by any of it. It's so simple minded and transparent it could almost be funny. Too bad it's not.

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice the words "monkey" and "skewered" in the above.

Has this anything to do with the picture I created in the weekly contest? Because I can assure you it most certainly wasn't a personal attack against anyone. If there's any parallel between anyones emails or whatever, it's purely coincidence.

I'm starting to feel paranoid here.

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

pud
IE # 30
Member # 245

Icon 10 posted      Profile for pud   Author's Homepage   Email pud         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm starting to feel paranoid here
well then, you're in the right business.....

--------------------
" Your Scenes are there forever." - Ollie Johnston
http://markpudleiner.blogspot.com/

Andy Blazdell
IE # 150
Member # 2434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy Blazdell   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Blazdell         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're talking about another argument, Square, don't worry.

Unless you're just using this as an excuse to promote your artwork - in which case, the next knock on the door you hear will be the Shameless-Self-Promotion Police... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy
www.celaction.com

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hockey Frog   Email Hockey Frog         Edit/Delete Post 
Good dawd, the devious scheme has been exposed; AN members are all about politics, money and a penchant for hurting mothers.

I usually stay out of flame wars, but I gotta say Charles has been pretty fair and professional about this. And I ain't trying to flatter no one, BTW.

--------------------
"I was obliged to work hard. Anyone who works equally hard will succeed, equally."
Johann Sebastian Bach

Mindfulwhim
IE # 207
Member # 3153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mindfulwhim   Author's Homepage   Email Mindfulwhim         Edit/Delete Post 
As an educator, I deal with a veritable plethora of personalities each day, each term, each year. My experience is that:

We teach others how to treat us. There is no guarntee in this life of how others will treat us, and there is certainly no "right" to be treated a certain way by others. Respect is earned not granted by decree or by position, and certainly NOT by demanding it!

I can also tell you that "Sometimes educators use a carrot and sometimes we use a stick" (metaphorically speaking). Despite the use of both methods, and variations thereof, some folks just do not wish to learn, and if a person walks (talks) around with a chip on their shoulder, then somebody is going to want to knock it off.

Jinkies Shaggy, the mystery is solved! Ruby Ruby Roo!

SquarejawHero
IE # 188
Member # 2601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SquarejawHero   Author's Homepage   Email SquarejawHero         Edit/Delete Post 
@Andy - I would never shamelessly plug myself on these forums, EVER.

Although I am available for parties, weddings and bar mitzvahs. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bowendesign.com

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are the Terms of Service???

Well that's news to me!

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Mindfulwhim
IE # 207
Member # 3153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mindfulwhim   Author's Homepage   Email Mindfulwhim         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, the terms of service are: Work and play well with others in the sandbox".
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
Use our inside voice?

--------------------

the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the phrase "common sense" in the past.

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

Luna
IE # 162
Member # 243

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Luna           Edit/Delete Post 
Before....we were told we had to participate more ( not lurk ) or we would be dumped. Now, we must be careful not to post too much? I'm confused! I'm using my outside voice here! How bout some parameters / guidelines?
Mindfulwhim
IE # 207
Member # 3153

Lemme guess, the moderator is going to suggest moderation.
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Look, I spent almost 8 years as a top moderator for one of if not the largest online forum. It was on AOL and we did everything from 24/7 LIVE moderating to field trips to documentaries and fightin' hostiles.

Any given day I would chat with and moderate thousands of people and rarely would things get out of hand. For me that is. At the height there were I think 75 staff members and 10,000 associate network members. Sometimes it would go berserk but that was only when gangs and friends of friends were allowed to bypass the rules. Usually ended up in being banned, fired or sued.

It can get vicious but only when opportunism came into play.

Bottom line is the rules apply to everyone, all the time or they don't apply at all.

Our supervisors had a saying when people would insult us:

"Smile from the wrists down."

--------------------

eboles
IE # 266
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eboles   Email eboles         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate common sense. ...I have none.
RMills
IE # 151
Member # 2986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RMills   Author's Homepage   Email RMills         Edit/Delete Post 
Europe now has common sense...oh er that's common cents.

--------------------
www.rustymillsanimation.com

Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Europe now has common sense...oh er that's common cents.
It's funny, because it's true.

--------------------
Tekenen is schrijven en spreken tegelijk.

Olve
IE # 185
Member # 427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olve   Author's Homepage   Email Olve         Edit/Delete Post 
No it isn't.

(This, Luna, was a good example of participating, but not flooding. If I would have done this in every thread I would be flooding, but since this is my second or third post this month I am participating. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Olve's Blog

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012