AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » "Faeries"

Author Topic: "Faeries"
HopelessDreamer
Member # 2673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopelessDreamer   Email HopelessDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up a copy of the 30-minute animated special "Faeries" on Amazon. I remember seeing it as a kid.

Keep in mind, this is the one from the early 80's starring Hans Conreid. Not the recent one with Jeremy Irons.

Some bits of it were kind of weak. Still, I thought the character design and animation were pretty good, and the story was a bit dark and heavy in places for your typical kid's fare.

Kinda makes me wonder what could've been done with it if it were feature-length and, of course, it was allowed the ever-spoken-of-but-rarely-seen "creative freedom".

IP: Logged
Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I remember that one. That was Lee Mishkin's studio behind it.

Many, many, MANY moons ago ASIFA use to have animation cells and drawings from that show. Probably still have some stored away somewhere

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
And, speaking of "Fairies" of another sort, we're developing "Tinkerbell and her world" over at Disney Publishing. This "Fairies" project will feature books and other consumer products as well as an animated show produced by Disney's TV unit.
sconc
Member # 1431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sconc   Email sconc         Edit/Delete Post 
Lee was always proud of Faeries. He had an A-D pan setup from a dance sequence up on the wall of his office at Vanarts where he spent his last few years.I was glad to have gotten to know and work with him, even if he was a little crusty around the edges.
Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchpad   Author's Homepage   Email Sketchpad         Edit/Delete Post 
I've selected and kept a few "Faeries" animation drawings from the mid 80's when ASFA needed help sorting through the mounds of artwork. [biggrin] The stuff looks beautiful. I also seem to recall reading a nice newspaper article in the LA Times (or was it the Daily News?) where Mishkin was interviewed and talked about the show.

Mr. Fun the faerie project sounds interesting to me. It's an idea that doesn't seem to be following a feature or a trend (if you don't count Tinkerbell from Peter Pan), unless there are some movies and TV shows out now about faeries that I'm overlooking.

A note to Disney Television: I must also add that I agree with others that have posted here that Basil of Baker Street (the Geat Mouse Detective) would make an excellent TV series, and that the timing today for the character's return couldn't be better.

Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard
IE # 8
Member # 2280

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Hachigian Jerrard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...unless there are some movies and TV shows out now about faeries that I'm overlooking.
Not much. The only TV show that comes to mind is Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy. Other recent faerie appearances have been the Vogelein: Clockwork Faerie graphic novel and Brian Froud's faerie artbooks.

Hot Topic's had a "faerie" section in their stores for some time. Maybe faeries are hot right now.

--------------------
 -

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

It's all new material being created pretty much from scratch. I don't expect Peter Pan to play much of a part in this concept. Disney plans to give this project a huge launch next year that will include books, toys and movies. Should be exciting.
Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Sounds good. [Smile]
Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sketchpad, when I read some articles about the Tink project I immediately thought "W.I.T.C.H." and "Winx Club".

Does Tink talk in this project? I imagine three scenarios:

1.) Tink does talk. [frown]

2.) The other pixies talk but for some reason Tink doesn't. If that's the case Tink's muteness is going to seem weird. Like she's the "gimp" character of the group.

3.) All the pixies are mute. Well...non speaking cartoons have worked for other people.

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

I think a may have seen W.I.T.C.H. Is that on the ABC network? Not sure if I have seen 'Winx Club'.
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

W.I.T.C.H. was developed by our colleagues in Italy. Disney is going to try a launch here in America to see if it will fly.

Get it? Witch -- fly? Oh, well...

Sketchpad
IE # 5
Member # 661

Hey Mr. Fun, that wasn't a 'faerie' good joke.

Hyuk-yuk-yuk-yuk-yuk. [funny]

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012