my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » James Baxter Animation

Author Topic: James Baxter Animation
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it appears that the rumors are true after all.

Let it be known far and wide that the great James Baxter has opened his own animation studio.

I had the distinct pleasure of attending the inaugural party this past evening. I was in the company of a fine group of extraordinary people. Among them, Kevin Koch the Guild's President, Pud, and Tom the Mod Narey from right here on AN.

Also present at the party was Andreas Deja. Yes indeed.

James Baxter Animation is located in an upstairs loft right in the heart of Old Town Pasadena. It's spacious and elegant. And what a joy it was to see feature animation tables with disks set up throughout the premises.

The reel highlight of the evening was watching some of Mr. Baxter's animation run on a monitor in his office. Next door was another video presentation of pencil tests from the old days at Disneys. Animation from Lady and the Tramp, Peter and the Wolf and other favorites.

And as a parting gift, there were these unique flipbooks of some of James' animation that were passed out to visitors upon their departure. I had the presence of mind to go back upstairs and get him to autograph it.

Thank you James, for the opportunity to share in this special event, a bit of animation history in the making. Here's to the success of your studio and to the exciting creative endeavors we'll be seeing from you and your associates.

By all means, keep creating.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
The web site is forthcoming I'm told.

--------------------
 -

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Baxter give any teasers about possible concepts or ideas?????

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Pasadena becoming the new animation mecca? I had the opportunity to visit another animation studio also located in beautiful downtown Pasadena. This studio is run by former Disney animator, Ken Duncan. A few weeks ago, Ken gave me a tour of his new facilities. His studio is set up to do both traditional and CG.

Anyway, it sure is exciting to know that both James and Ken have chosen to keep the animation flame burning brightly, and doing it in downtown Pasadena. Best of luck to them both.

Kevin
IE # 44
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep creating, indeed! James and Kendra have set up a great studio in a great location, with a realistic business plan. It's super exciting seeing it all come together.

And it was good seeing you, Charles. [cheers]

Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though i'm just a lowly guy in Chicago eeking out his current existence through theatre technical experience, I would like to wish Mr Baxter good luck. I was introduced to his work during 1991, when I read the updated 'Art of Animation: From Mickey Mouse to Beauty & the Beast.'

And though I deplored the Matt Damon narration of 'Spirit,' Baxter's work was top notch.

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
May the toon Gods bless & shine heavenly beams upon this studio.

-

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

Chadeus
IE # 204
Member # 1656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chadeus   Email Chadeus         Edit/Delete Post 
This is indeed great news! I can't wait to see what Mr. Baxter has in store for us. YES. KEEP CREATING.

--------------------
CHAD

"The winner of the game is the player that makes the next-to-last mistake." --Chess Proverb.

Egheaumaen
IE # 171
Member # 1519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egheaumaen   Email Egheaumaen         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to contact this company? Is there an e-mail address or a main line phone number posted anywhere?
SANTANNI
Member # 1257

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SANTANNI   Email SANTANNI         Edit/Delete Post 
It's really great that James started his own studio. He had guts to leave a secure job at Dreamworks and do this.
I just wonder... are there any 2D projects out there besides the Disney sequels? I keep hearing from friends in LA that ther's no 2D been done except for Curious Geoge.
Does James have any show to work on?

farisfaris
IE # 46
Member # 454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farisfaris   Email farisfaris         Edit/Delete Post 
Had to post something here to wish the one and only James Baxter, whose work inspires me beyond words, the very best with his new venture.
Scarlett
Member # 3183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scarlett   Email Scarlett         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Fun,

What is the name of Ken Duncan's animation Studio? I'm trying to get ahold of him but don't have his current number or an address. Could you let me know the address in Pasadena so I could mail him something?

Thanks so much!

Scarlett

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fist high!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.duncanstudio.com/

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scarlett, I'll have to get an address for you.

I know the studio is called, Real Effx, and they're located on the corner of Union and Marengo in downtown Pasadena, not far from James Baxter's place.

They're also next door to the restaurant, Holly Street Bar and Grill which they sometimes call their "commissary." It's a great little studio, and they're developing some neat projects.

SoleilSmile
IE # 120
Member # 1483

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SoleilSmile   Author's Homepage   Email SoleilSmile         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe THEY can do the ELF QUEST movie!

I shall never give up! [Big Grin]

--------------------
HipChick Comics and Animatress Blog

www.hipchickcomics.com
http://www.animatress.blogspot.com/

Timbone
IE # 90
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timbone   Email Timbone         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news! Good to hear that the greats are working on traditional stuff, and on their terms.

Seriously great.

Scarlett
Member # 3183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scarlett   Email Scarlett         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you Mr. Fun and Tstevens!!! I went ahead and e-mailed him at duncanstudio@hotmail.com. Hopefully he'll get back to me.

Much appreciate it!

Best,

Scarlett

Jessie
Member # 1722

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jessie   Email Jessie         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly my dear....

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012