my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » The Work Ethic

Author Topic: The Work Ethic
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I've known this person I'm going to talk about all his life. He's been one of my best friends for as long as I can remember.

The dude has been through his own personal hell for many years. Tough upbringing, tough breaks, made a lot mistakes and owned up to them. Took chances and things didn't work out. Got screwed by others. Worked years for abusive employers.

But he never compromised his work ethic. He got such a great reputation for being trustworthy and honest, someone that you could rely on through thick and thin in spite of the disreputable losers that he had to struggle with.

A family man with three kids, everyday was a hard day's night and he was working like a dog. Living paycheck to paycheck and just getting by.

Then he got hooked up with someone who understood him and knew what he was really about. He set him up in an interview when an opening came around at the place he worked. He went through the process. The job wasn't in animation. It was in sales for an industrial firm. Came down to others with experience in the field and this one man with a great knack with people and a strong work ethic.

Work ethic won. He got the job. This was yesterday.

Starting salary is excellent. He also gets annual bonuses, a company car, gas paid, a company credit card, a company cell phone, IRA retirement plan, insurance for himself, his wife and 3 kids. His job includes client relations, so he has to learn how to play golf real quick.

I firmly believe in the power of a positive outlook, positive attitude, positive thinking and a good work ethic because it wins the day. I've seen it with my own eyes and I know the real difference that it can make, especially if you don't let negative abusive people keep you down and make you think that you'll never make it.

So here's to my friend. I hope that this story will help encourage a few people who read this in keeping faith in themselves and in keeping a good work ethic in one's career and in life.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck to your friend, Charles. Sounds like he deserves it.

Sometimes the good guys do win.

Russian Judge
IE # 174
Member # 3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russian Judge   Author's Homepage   Email Russian Judge         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a work ethic. I have gone the extra mile, not only for my employers, but my fellow employees. Often in ways that are invisible; I clean out the coffee pots that are so burnt they look like someone was making tar heroin in them. I even bought OxyClean to remove the rancid taste from the thermos carafes on the news sets, used by those egotistical news anchors and reporters that I barely tolerate.

Why? Because it's the right thing to do.

But, it's like peeing in a pair of black pants; it gives you a warm feeling but nobody notices. I don't expect anyone to; that would credit them with more intelligence and sensitivity than humans generally possess. So I satisfy myself with the realization that they lack that warm feeling which I possess so abundantly, dribbling into my shoes.

--------------------
See the new, updated TOON Magazine Online
at http://www.toonmag.com

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
RJ.....when you move on....and stuff starts falling apart and going stale....some will curse you for going, but most will wonder what you took with you.
The unfortunate part is the people you leave behind that you love and care for as friends and "conspirators".

When I feel small and insignificant because the row I am hoeing is lonely, I talk to those people.
They are my friends, because they always gave 100 percent and they wanted to know what they could do to push the ball forward toward the goal.

Good Story Charles.
I hope your friend will be able to spend some free time doing the things he loves with his wife and kids, but also has you kicking him occasionally to be creative and make stuff happen in animation. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

Russian Judge
IE # 174
Member # 3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russian Judge   Author's Homepage   Email Russian Judge         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Eric. How romantic. You should only work in television. The news talent I mentioned, if they allowed me to approach them and noted what I had done, would say, "Oh, that's nice," then go back to combing their hair and checking their stock portfolios on their laptops.

My peers, the people I work with who know I do these things, consider me a good guy. Butt they're so paranoid about losing their jobs and winding up living on the streets (as am I, as is every American below $50K a year) they are too paralyzed by fear to offer thanks. They just shake their heads at my stupidity at buying things for other people, when I should be picking out a refrigerator carton into which I should eventually plan to move.

So, my mission to bring donuts and other breakfast items Saturday morning, and keeping the coffee pots clean, and doing work I could leave aside for someone else but I don't, is Quixotic. So be it. It doesn't matter to anyone else, and it won't do any good. Like I said, in my best Wilfred Brimley voice, it's the right thing to do, and that's all that matters.

--------------------
See the new, updated TOON Magazine Online
at http://www.toonmag.com

Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
I could tell a story that would curl your hair.
It has everything, attempted coup, lies, back stabbing, theft of property, cut to the chase... a miraculous Phoenix rising from the ashes.
And this Phoenix is the best boss I have ever had.
The thing everybody has to remember is that an act of kindness, no matter how small, matters.
People do pay attention.
You never know when you are making history.

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

papercut
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for papercut   Email papercut         Edit/Delete Post 
An act of kindness is a reward in itself. To lament the lack of recognition for it, lessens the act, and calls into question motivations.

Good people win by their actions, not by the accolades, or lack of accolades of others.

Great story.

monkeydad
Member # 1566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeydad   Email monkeydad         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, papercut
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
that cut was deep and true, Paper.

Good story, C! great fuel for the fire!!!

an additional example of work ethic is another brutha you've known for a long time. Another brutha whos worked years through struggle to continue his artistic path. He left LA almost three years now, I think, to continue his stylings on new mediums,skin, so he could continue as an artist and pay the bills. He started working for other shops and had many obsticles there as well. BUT now,2 1/2 years later, he's opening his OWN shop with an art gallery in the front. hehehehe, makes me giggle with excitement.

We have to all remember we are what we eat in this life time. Its such a short, magnificent illusion and we have two choices of consciousness, negative or positive. I'm learning neither are right or wrong because of personal perceptions, but with the choices comes repercusions and accountability.

We must embrace the change life throws to us, after all change is what art does best.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Fooksie
IE # 239
Member # 331

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Fooksie   Author's Homepage   Email Fooksie         Edit/Delete Post 
Speak the words that must be spoken, Snakebite!

--------------------
" Every move a picture! "
Buddy Love

Ganklin
IE # 14
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganklin   Author's Homepage   Email Ganklin         Edit/Delete Post 
good stuff, my friends. keep on keep'n on!

--------------------
http://fsummers.blogspot.com/
www.shamoozal.com

New Wil Order
Member # 1430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for New Wil Order   Email New Wil Order         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been "lurking" on this board for a while now. I enjoy reading the various posts very much but never really felt the need to post any of my own responses. This one's different. Thanks for telling your friend's story. It's heartening to know that I'm not the only person here who can relate to it.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012