AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » "Flash" AnimationNation

Author Topic: "Flash" AnimationNation
Sketchbook
IE # 135
Member # 1581

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sketchbook   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm curious if there are plans to allow flash animation banners, or even better, a flash-animation cartoon section to this newsgroup. I'm not sure if specific code is involved to allow flash animation, but just knowing how quickly flash loads compared to Animated GIFs... it would make the longer threads load quicker for people with slower connections.

What I'd like to suggest though is setting up a paid-members-only Flash cartoon section to this newsgroup. Sort of an incentive to join this great independent economy.

A cartoon section where anyone can contribute their flash animation. Retain the rights to their projects, but also not expect any compensation, other than the exposure on the newsgroup.

Since this is such a unique animation newsgroup, it would be nice to have this kind of exclusive content to draw in new members. There could also be a discussion section to talk about the films.

I'm not sure if the newsgroup software could be programmed to accept flash, or if there is the storage capacity for adding this cartoon section... but I thought I'd suggest it.

I know the "Gallery" is a way to allow links to off-site animation and websites, I just thought there would be some interest in having some internet cartoons and films as a part of this talented community of animators.

Take care,

--------------------
Mike

-

IP: Logged
the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
This was something looked at a long time ago but was prevented because the software we were using (and had upgraded to) did not support the loading and playing of Flash files within the message board pages. We always have the option to have a Flash file load up and play from a page outside of the message board format (used regularly on the entry pages in the Contest Forum) but that's really not an acceptable solution when you're talking about using Flash for signature banners.

--------------------
-the Moderator
-Brian Reynolds

-

Sketchbook
IE # 135
Member # 1581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchbook   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your feedback.

I had a hunch it was considered already... after all, this is an animation newsgroup.

Ok...the banners can't happen...

If the flash files can load on a separate page, we could set up a members-only page that hosts the cartoons if enough people were interested in having that kind of showcase.

Something that might be interesting to try, is to have the AN community contribute character designs on a theme... and vote for their favorite.

Then using that character, each person who wants to participate, will be given a start scene and end scene that will connect to scenes made by others on the project. Each person will use those story-panels as a guideline, and then fill in the rest in any way they want. It would be interesting to see how the story unfolds when all the contributions are pieced together. It could also be a an on-going project that is added to once a week by a different person who is scheduled for that week.

Might be something interesting to get people checking back to the website. Who knows, if it's long enough, you could sell it on a DVD in the AN giftshop! [Wink]

Just a thought...

--------------------
Mike

-

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your suggestions. They'll be considered as the site expands. There are several areas that are going to be addressed very soon as far as the growth of AN is concerned.

In reference to your first post, the concept I originally had in mind for AnimationNation.com was for an online broadcast network. It was later when the rebel spirit of '99 arose that I decided to use the domain name for this alternative purpose. It would be outstanding to see AN evolve into something more along the lines of what I first had in mind and what you suggest.

I think the expansion we'll be working towards in 2005 may help facilitate this.

--------------------
 -

Sketchbook
IE # 135
Member # 1581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketchbook   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your Feedback Charles and Brian!

You should be very proud of what you have accomplished with this newsgroup. It really has helped to bring the animation community together.

Take care,

--------------------
Mike

-

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012