AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Mr. Opportunity is knocking.....are you?

Author Topic: Mr. Opportunity is knocking.....are you?
Jeanne
Member # 680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeanne   Email Jeanne         Edit/Delete Post 
Honda currently has an ad campaign with the animated spokesperson Mr. Opportunity. I have seen several commercials and a couple of print ads. I was wondering if anyone here knows who animated these commercials and also I would like to hear what any of you think about the design.
IP: Logged
Russian Judge
IE # 174
Member # 3004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russian Judge   Author's Homepage   Email Russian Judge         Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about the production, but why does the animation remind me of Adam Sandler in "8 Crazy Nights?" I almost expect the guy to set a Christmas tree on fire.

--------------------
See the new, updated TOON Magazine Online
at http://www.toonmag.com

Ben Burgess
IE # 70
Member # 964

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ben Burgess   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Burgess         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

find:
clearance.honda.com

Mr. Opportunity Knocks wears a casual attire and peddles used Hondas.

-

These are new animated broadcast commercials that are really CUTTING EDGE ANIMATION.

Sometimes a picture will jog your memory!
So far this ad (above) is so new it is hard to get the run down on this ad campaign.

ESURANCE.COM ! A new cutting edge animated broadcast commercial. Still trying to find an image here it is so new!

Another hard to find new ad just out is the cool looking cartoon ad campaign for ESURANCE.COM !
This cartoon insurance ad is geared to a younger market who also likes watch the CARTOON NETWORK. But, the unique look of these ads are also broadcast on the business networks like CNBC and MS/NBC and FOX network. Business type people like cartoons too! Where ever you find art you'll always find business people.

The ESURANCE.COM ad looks like it was created by Samurai Jack. [Wink]

--------------------
[IMG] http://www.creativeheads.net/jsmedia.aspx?j=fccfc9010e&spi=0&mid=5163&direct=1[/IMG][/URL]

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Opportunity has a VERY interesting line of dialog in one of these spots. He says (more or less)...

"Hey, what do I know? I'm only two-dimensional!"

Sure, I get the gag, but is this also somehow an intentional commentary on the perceived outmoding of 2-D animation?

Aloha,

Scott!

Ben Burgess
IE # 70
Member # 964

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ben Burgess   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Burgess         Edit/Delete Post 
New cartoon commercial for ESURANCE.COM on line car insurance.

-

--------------------
[IMG] http://www.creativeheads.net/jsmedia.aspx?j=fccfc9010e&spi=0&mid=5163&direct=1[/IMG][/URL]

Dan P.
IE # 248
Member # 893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan P.   Email Dan P.         Edit/Delete Post 
The animation on Mr. Opportunity isn't really appealing. It looks rushed and amateurish. And I actually like the fact that he mentions the two-dimensional thing, helps separate it from the current 3D trend. Not that it's the best example, but you know, baby steps. [biggrin]
Ben Burgess
IE # 70
Member # 964

The Mr. Opportunity drawings may at a quick glance look amateurish; but, if you study the work closely you will notice that the drawings are very well crafted if not rotoscoped to some extent. The outside contour outline drawing of the character accentuates the highlight areas. You will notice the complimentary broken contour lines in the specific highlight areas that create some rim lighting effect, which helps to put a form in front of another form in the drawing (form foreshortening). Usually in clean up these broken lines would cause color bleeding during the color fill digital or traditional process.

These styled drawings have a certain sensitivity throughout that may look loosely drawn but are well placed. The character design is a casual comfortable type feeling. Also, there are the added live action scenes to composite during the commercial, and the character is framed within these scenes.

The VISUALIZATION:
These drawings have a style/look that is unique to the theme of a used car salesman, who in this case is just a typical person by the name of Mr. Opportunity Knocks. [Smile]

--------------------

ducey
Member # 2503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ducey   Email ducey         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say or not but... those spots were done right here at Vinton studios by Mike Smith. I'm pretty sure there was no roto. A total of 8 commercials.
tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
They feel animated for sure. Roto has an almost umistakable feel.

I liked the spots. My only complaint was that the lip-sync seemed a little off (could have happened in assisting).

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
They feel animated for sure. Roto has an almost unmistakable feel.

I liked the spots. My only complaint was that the lip-sync seemed a little off (could have happened in assisting).

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Ben Burgess
IE # 70
Member # 964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Burgess   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Burgess         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say or not but... those spots were done right here at Vinton studios by Mike Smith. I'm pretty sure there was no roto. A total of 8 commercials.
Thanks Ducey, for the impossible to find info on this ad.

Mike Smith if I am correct is one of the top veteran commercial animators from London's, SOHO district, independent animation studios area in the heart of London. At one time in the early eighties I visited the Richard Williams Studio while they were making remember "The Theif and the Cobbler", this was done without computer animation.
Mike Smith also did some animation on "Roger Rabbit", which was produced somewhat outside of city center in London, that Richard Williams directed. I saw that London studio before it desolved in '88.

Then Speilberg's Ambinmation set up in London in the late eighties. Mike may have done some work with that studio for "Fiefle Goes West".

At one point he and his group did some fine animation work for Don Bluth's studio in Dublin, Ireland when I was there. I remember director Dan Keunster flipping his work on some scenes he animated on "All Dogs Go to Heaven" with critical review.
Now he is in Portland, Oregon, Will Vinton Studios creating stealth animation. Mike Smith is not amateurish, but a season professional. [Smile]

--------------------

Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Mr. Opportunity. He has a face I just can't trust. [unimpressed] [flirt]
JHBucktooth
Member # 1884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JHBucktooth   Email JHBucktooth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, he reminds me of Kent Manly (sp?), the oily FBI agent from Iron Giant.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012