AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » animation desk....vintage disney...at butterfields

Author Topic: animation desk....vintage disney...at butterfields
Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
animation desk....vintage disney

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

IP: Logged
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
wow! Now that's a desk!

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, if I only had that kind of $$$$

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 1965, a bunch of us animation guys at Disney bought those desks for one hundred bucks a piece.

Why did Disney sell all those animation desks? I think somebody said, "animation was dead." Some things never change.

ovi nedelcu
IE # 95
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ovi nedelcu   Email ovi nedelcu         Edit/Delete Post 
that will be the day when i pay disney $5000 for a piece of wood shaped into a desk. i can make that myself for under $100 bucks.

--------------------
 -

ALSO VISIT: PIGTALE @
http://pigtalecomic.com/

KevinO
IE # 36
Member # 56

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinO   Email KevinO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Back in 1965, a bunch of us animation guys at Disney bought those desks for one hundred bucks a piece.

Why did Disney sell all those animation desks? I think somebody said, "animation was dead." Some things never change.

Wasn't there a recent sale of desks? [Wink] I wonder how many times so far animation has died? What's the ratio between how many desks are sold off to how many times animation has died? I guess they don't believe in storage. Or it gives those guys in the woodshop something to do.
bigshot
Member # 1024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigshot   Email bigshot         Edit/Delete Post 
That is an assistant's desk. I have one just like it myself. The value estimate is right on. I have sold two Disney desks like this myself in the past. One was a Director/Layout desk, which had two turnarounds and a large removable corkboard in the middle so the director and layout artist could work back to back, handing material to each other through the middle. They also had background painters desks with a pull out drawer for the water pot, a lead animator's desk which was the same as this but with turnarounds on both sides; and an ink & paint desk which had linoleum top and narrow shelves above.

Anyone who has seen or sat down at one of these desks knows how absolutely perfect they are. They're made of solid hardwood with a counterweight on the drawing board that allows you to move the board easily with one finger, but have it stay put when you let go. The craftsmanship of the woodworking and fixtures is absolutely amazing. These desks are worth every penny. If you think you can make one like it for a hundred bucks, you don't know what you're looking at.

The one thing I've noticed about these desks is that they always have cigarette burns on the middle shelf on the right side... That's how you can authenticate them!

See ya
Steve

bigshot
Member # 1024

One other quick note...

This desk is missing a few things... The top right drawer and pencil tray aren't there. It also is missing the pipe footrest. It appears that there is some sort of sticker on the bottom drawer too. On mine, there is a double size drawer in the bottom with dividers to put papers in. This appears to have regular drawers all the way down.

See ya
Steve

Peg
IE # 233
Member # 3008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peg   Email Peg         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that idea of turnarounds with corkboard panels. Imagine if you painted a picture of your least favourite co-worker on the cork, and used it as a dart-board. Work and leisure would be handily combined! (Although, a bad throw would damage the desk and your art... maybe not so smart.)
Floyd Bishop
IE # 183
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floyd Bishop   Author's Homepage   Email Floyd Bishop         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This desk is missing a few things... The top right drawer and pencil tray aren't there.
Also, where do you plug in the keyboard? No wonder it's for sale. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Floyd Bishop
 -

bigshot
Member # 1024

A couple of links for those interested in the industrial designer who created the Disney desks... KEM Weber.

[URL=http://www.r20thcentury.com/bios/designer.cfm?article_id=100
]KEM Weber Bio[/URL]

KEM Weber furniture designs

This one's amusing because the person selling this doesn't know that it's a table top hutch, not a table itself!

KEM Weber (table)

See ya
Steve

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the hutch, one of those old desk bank space dividers?

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

bigshot
Member # 1024

If you look at the picture of the full desk being auctioned, you'll see the hutch on the upper right. The one that's being sold separately is from a layout desk, which had hutches on both sides and just a corkboard between.

See ya
Steve

EustaceScrubb
IE # 37
Member # 862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EustaceScrubb           Edit/Delete Post 
**sniff** [Frown]

I used to sit at a desk just like that back on Oliver & Co. and The Little Mermaid at the old Flower Street building .

Geeeeeezzzz.......... well, it's nice to know that at least the blessed FURNITURE we made the movies with is still being appreciated as something worth investing in !

(and I agree , those desks are worth every penny. Functional and beautiful at the same time. )

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh... THe old Flower St. building. The only time I actually had chance to visit that building was when Aladdin was in production. We use to do some work with one of the Disney BG painters back then - a guy named Dean Gordon. Everyone I met seemed really cool.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
The following message was received by our staff, but no return email address was attached.

Maybe someone can help answer this question.

Hi,

I would realy realy like to know who is building the disney animation desks of today.

Also I would like to know where I could buy one.

All the best
Victor

--------------------
 -

javier
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for javier   Email javier         Edit/Delete Post 
i think that a new Disney-style animation desk would be way too expensive but they should get in contact with Disney Feature Animation since they just sold/donated/shipped back a bunch of furniture from the florida studio closing.
javier
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for javier   Email javier         Edit/Delete Post 
although i don't know who actually makes disney's desks, these are pretty close or can make you a custom made desk:

Cartoon Carpentry

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Cartoon Carpentry has some very cool designs for sure. If you really sit down and figure out how much it would cost to build one on your own, using a local suppplier, they really aren't priced to bad. It's just saving up the cash.

If I was aniamting full time I would buy the "D" Model in an instant.

Has anyone around here actually used one or purchased one????

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Vincent
Member # 2369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent   Email Vincent         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Todd White builds the desks.
Not the disney desks, but the Cartoon Carpe.. ones

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012