AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » WARNING - Important Notice to all AN accounts! Please read!

Author Topic: WARNING - Important Notice to all AN accounts! Please read!
Account Administration
Member # 6

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Account Administration   Email Account Administration         Edit/Delete Post 
If you receive email from any email account that appears to originate from AnimationNation.com, or the team at AnimationNation.com, and it has an attachment, do not open the file.

AnimationNation.com is not generating any email with attached files of any kind.

IP: Logged
Account Administration
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Account Administration   Email Account Administration         Edit/Delete Post 
The email may have text similar to this. Do not open the file. The email is fraudulent:

Subject: Warning about your e-mail account.

Dear user of Animationnation.com,

Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized access.

For more information see the attached file.

For security purposes the attached file is password protected. Password is [{a number will be included here in quotation marks}].

Kind regards,

The Animationnation.com team
[{A link to AnimationNation.com will be included here}]

This email did not originate from us. Your email is working fine. Do not open any attached files.

ColorInAble
IE # 68
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColorInAble   Author's Homepage   Email ColorInAble         Edit/Delete Post 
OH, this is an evil virus going around the web right now.

I am the Admin for my site and "The Colorinable.com Team" sent me 2 emails, one saying I had a virus and needed to install the attached file, and the other saying I was causing spam and had to install the attached file.

One was sent to a non existant email address that my catch all caught, and one was sent to one of my published and existing addresses.

Needless to say, I deleted both emails immideately, and thanked god once again for Netscape Mail (which doesn't launch attached files automatically), and a little common sense. I wish other net citizens would excersize the same level of savy.

And, thank you Microsoft, for making viruses so easy to replicate and duplicate. Linux doesn't just let the OS install programs at the root level automatically. The $250,000.00 reward for the person who turns in the hackers that Microsoft offers is no compensation for the billions of dollars the computer using community looses each year from these attacks.

But I bet you "Longhorn" (That's the next version of windows), won't fix this essential security issue!!!

--------------------
 -

Andy Blazdell
IE # 150
Member # 2434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andy Blazdell   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Blazdell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
thanked god once again for Netscape Mail (which doesn't launch attached files automatically), and a little common sense.
Microsoft products don't launch attachments automatically.

There was a bug once that caused a problem if you viewed a certain type of e-mail, but that was patched ages ago. Old news.

The recent virus you're talking about didn't use that exploit.

If you have a computer connected to the internet - get a firewall. That's the most important thing. And don't run attachments. Even if they are in zip files.

--------------------
Andy
www.celaction.com

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to let this announcement float as the threat seems to have tapered off.

Please do not open any attachments that you get from any email that seems to originate from AN.

We do not send any email with file attachments.

If you receive any email at all that seems suspicious in nature and it has a file attached to it, do not open the file.

Play it safe at all times.

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012