AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Bill Matthews, eh?

Author Topic: Bill Matthews, eh?
Nancy Nichols
Member # 2890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy Nichols   Email Nancy Nichols         Edit/Delete Post 
Well kiddies, let me fill y'all in on a lil secret. First of all, never did Bill Matthews say that anyone can learn animation in 1 year. Whoever said that was full of...well, you can finish it I'm sure. Second of all, Bill isn't going to India to expand the animation world to the competition, so chill the hell out. He was offered to go to India by his friend, just to see what would be happening over there, he never said he was going to teach over there or anything. As a matter of fact, I doubt we would let him go anywhere. We need him here at Woodbury because of all the teachers I have had this year, he's been the one to teach me the most about drawing. He's a hell of a teacher and doesn't deserve to be shot down by individuals with nothing better to do than to harass other people. He didn't bring down Disney, no matter what anyone says, that's just some sourpuss who probably didn't get his portfolio through Disney and wants to make him feel bad (Note: It's not working, to many of us standing behind and telling him the truth about what a great person he is.) Oh, and for those of you who think I'm just sucking up to pass the class, let me tell you something else, I SUCK at drawing and I'm probably one of the worst in animation, but I'm trying and Bill's pushing me, so the least I can do is tell the truth about him to all of you out there that are stupid enough to believe the article that ClosetAni1 decided to post an article from:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1040202/asp/business/story_2850534.asp

and not site the source (good one there Georgia) [Roll Eyes] . And as for the rest of you guys out there that are bad mouthing Bill: either you don't know the guy or you're jealous, I suggest you BACK OFF! because you're really pissing off a lot of people here at school. If you want to talk dirty about our teacher, you better be ready to get some really bad replies...

[Wink] ~*~Sarcasm: Just One More Service I Offer~*~ [Wink]

IP: Logged
Nancy Nichols
Member # 2890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy Nichols   Email Nancy Nichols         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only do I suck at drawing, apparently I suck at reading. I'm sorry, Georgia (by the way, are you male or female b/c I know people of both genders that are named Georgia) he/she did site the source, but I was to damn furious after seeing everyone here get pissed off when Bill told us about this retarded article, I apparently didn't see it, so for that I apologize. But still, it was pretty crappy to post it here and then let people tear Bill appart. I say, what a jerk, but that's just me.

[account signatures are not permitted unless you're subscribed]

[ February 06, 2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Account Administration ]

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
This issue has gone as far as it's going to go.

The man seems to be a decent fellow who's done good for others. Lighten up people and stop making such a big personal affair out of the matter.

--------------------
 -

Nancy Nichols
Member # 2890

Well, would you like someone saying bad things about you on the internet? I suggest you put yourself in his shoes, especially whereas a lot of people he knows come on this site. This could ruin a reputation or even a career. Think about that one...

[ February 06, 2004, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Account Administration ]

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's right. I'd be pissed as hell if it wasn't true, but there are people here who've had bad professional experiences with him it seems and that's what happens when an article comes out and you're quoted in it. People talk about it on the Internet.

Another personally disparaging remark against Mr. Bill Matthews will likely get your account closed, so please refrain.

--------------------
 -

ClosetAni1
IE # 115
Member # 46

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ClosetAni1   Author's Homepage   Email ClosetAni1         Edit/Delete Post 
Post an article, people will have opinions about it. I'm female. I'd more than welcome Bill coming on to refudiate the article. And I will continue to post articles when they're relevant. Welcome to the Nation, no offense taken by this jerk. [Wink]

--------------------
www.scooterandferret.com

Corn Fed
Member # 1085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corn Fed   Email Corn Fed         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have an opinion on the topic, I just like the above-mentioned word "refudiate."
ClosetAni1
IE # 115
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ClosetAni1   Author's Homepage   Email ClosetAni1         Edit/Delete Post 
Repudiate. Thanks Corn Fed [Wink]

I glossed over this before, but Nancy, do you really know a man named Georgia?

--------------------
www.scooterandferret.com

Nancy Nichols
Member # 2890

Dude, I'm a girl too!!! THAT'S AWESOME! Actually, I sure do know a guy named Georgia! (Mississippian's have interesting names for their kids...lived there a year and a half). And my ex-boyfriend was named Shannon...and I know a Sara that's actually a guy too. That's so weird huh? Crazy world we live in, I say...and I can say it to, cuz I'm crazy! [biggrin] [bow] [Yes]

[Wink] ~*~Sarcasm: Just One More Service I Offer~*~ [Wink]

Account Administration
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Account Administration   Email Account Administration         Edit/Delete Post 
Please refrain from using a signature with each post.

Read the Rules of Conduct located at the upper left of the forum page. We strongly suggest not engaging in flaming on AN if you expect your account to remain open. This is a long standing board policy and it applies to everyone. Thank you.

PonsonbyBritt
Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonsonbyBritt   Email PonsonbyBritt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nancy, and welcome aboard. I understand why you were angry about all of the misinformation being talked about here. Just try to remember that many of us here on AN are pretty upset with the state of the industry these days, especially when a key player like Disney is decimating their domestic animation staff. So, unfortunately, when news articles like these arise we tend to take them at face value and often overreact before having the claims verified. I reckon we're all kind of high-strung right now!

Anyway, I hope you read a few of the topics posted here to get a better feel for the place. Then hopefully you and your fellow animation students will feel more welcome here and will contribute to the various discussions. (We're really not so bad - we're just drawn that way!) [Smile]

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Nancy too! Yep alot of us on here arent happy about the state of the animation these days!
Woodbury is that highschool that has that animation program..COOL! [Smile] I heard about this school years ago!
I know that Bill did teach at Sheridan back in the 70's and I didnt have him as a teacher. But I have talked to a few former Sheridan students and most speak highly of Bill.
I met Bill at the Ottawa Animation festival in 1990. He gave me animation buttons. [Smile]
PS: I'm a girl too! [Smile]

Nancy Nichols
Member # 2890

Alrighty everyone, put the date on the calendar. I realize there are a ton of people I insulted out there (some of you deserved it though) but to those of you who didn't I apologize, it's just that Bill is a hell of a guy and I hate to see people hurt. Yep, I'm still a youngin', I'll admit it, and I suck at animation, but hey, at least I'm there to back up my family and friends, right? I guess I'm used to seeing boards that are funny and enlightening, well, lets just say I flew off the handle. It just made me very sad and really angry how people misquote stuff and end up hurting other people. But, I guess I better get used to it, eh? This world is going to hell in a handbasket from what I see on the news these days. So everyone out there who's been giving me hell, thank you for helping me through my first experience of slander. I'm sure that being in the animation business, or (God help us all if I ever make it into a movie) the movie business is full of it. Anywhoozle, I apologize yet again, and would a moderator please tell me why my name is coming up and why my login name isn't on instead? I was trying to be all sneaky, but having my name in big bold letters didn't really help, now did it? Alrighty, time to go to the doctor, I've got food poisoning...Thank You Woody's! Oh, and if there is anyone out there that would be willing to help me with my animation skills (because, like I said, I really suck at it) PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! Thank you, and Toodles!

[In answer to your question, the log in name you registered when you submitted your account request was different from the one you submitted as your screen name. Screen names that are not anonymous are usually viewed as having more credibility on AN's boards and are viewed the same way by the administrators and moderators. In your case it has been a positive aspect of your account and has helped substantiate the point that you are making.]

[ February 09, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Account Administration ]

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I ever applied at Disney's, (about '78 or '79,)I, with portfolio in tow, was warmly welcomed by a very nice man called Ed Hansen. He looked through my work,and encouraged me to include more quick gesture drawings, and to present my cleanup drawings,along WITH the ruffs,so that my keying skills could be more accurately accessed. He told me that I had talent,that it was evident through my strong figure and animal drawing,and to please check back once I had made those portfolio changes. The biggest career mistake I ever made, I think..(20/20 being what it is,,aaahh youth)was to jump at the raise Hanna Barbera offered me that year.. I never checked back with Ed.. [Gary]
Fast forward nearly ten years later..I re-apply at Disney,either, I think for either "Oliver and CO" or for the Roger Rabbit shorts. The callout heard through the grapevine was to get one's portfolio down there ASAP..I did that,with all my samples in the book--though admittedly, the presenation was not "slick",neat or perfect.I'd had steady gigs at HB and Filmation, and there was NO time to fancy the book up.. the drawings were there, plain and simple. I got a call from Mr. Matthews, who told me NEVER apply at Disney EVER again,that my samples were unacceptable,that I could never ever be considered for Disney. I re-submitted a short time later anyway,specifically for the Roger gig,this time with the book in perfect order. Mind you, this portfolio contained EXACTLY the same work I had submitted previously.
This time,Mr Matthews called to let me know that "there was absolutely no doubt" that I could do the work,that my book was "very well received,and would I like to come in and take a short cleanup test for Walt Stanchfield." I did, got onto the crew,stayed for that gig,had a great time and that was that.
So, in light of my own above-described experience,
I can sort of see why some others who were rejected may have found Mr. Matthews to be abrupt,or rude, or smug;whereas,if your work was accepted, he could be nice as pie..
Personally, I found Mr. Hansen's approach much more palatable... I'll always regret not having taken him up on his advice,since the spirit in which it was rendered was so encouraging. However,it could also very well be, that Mr. Matthews got me pissed off enough to re-apply anyway,get the book pretty, and prove him wrong..
For that, I may even owe him a backhanded debt of gratitude.Also,I'm glad to hear he's not contributing to that overseas training curriculum..selling out is selling out, regardless of your stage in life.

--------------------
I am not young enough to know everything- Oscar Wilde

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012