AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Teacher's Pet (Page 2)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Teacher's Pet
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Home on The Range looks alot better than Brother Bear did from it's previews. I'll go as far to say that Home on the Range will be more successful than Brother Bear and Teacher's Pet COMBINED!!!

[thumbsup]

IP: Logged
Shane Glines
IE # 87
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Glines   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Glines         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Teacher's Pet trailer wasn't lucky enough to have comedy gems like:

"Say girls, got milk?"

"Well if it isn't the phony express"

"What is this, the frozen food section?"

"You wanna get nuts, let's get nuts!"

"You go, cowgirl!"

"...and udder madness"

"Yeah, they're real. Quit staring."

and especially:

"On April two, bust a moo!"

...not to mention the hilarious slow-motion Matrix shot of a karate-cow.

Now THAT's Disney Feature animation! Embarassing anachronistic humor and the same Milt Kahl style we've been seeing for decades (but with really sharp corners added).

--------------------
www.shaneglines.net
www.cartoonretro.com

javier
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for javier   Email javier         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Shane for stating my point. [thumbsup]

i think what clenched it for me was the bad 'hip' dialogue ("you go, cowgirl!") and the cuba gooding jr. horse matrix karate (because it's sooo underused in comedy these days [Roll Eyes] ). it's a winner! (that's sarcasm, folks) [Gary]

i apologize to anybody who worked on it because it looks pretty, so the artists weren't the root of the problem. amazing animators worked on it: mark henn, duncan marjoribanks, shawn keller, barry temple, sandro cleuzo, andreas deja, dale baer, chris buck, james lopez, bruce smith, mike surrey, designs by joe mosher... it seems to me like this movie was intervened way too much by non-creative people, extensive focus testing, and bad screenwriting.

maybe Mr. Fun can chime in? i think he worked on it back when it was "Sweating Bullets". but that's for another thread.

"bust a moo!" indeed... hope you enjoy it when it comes out, OFFBEAT. it will obviously make more money than "TP" it's first week, being that the "Teacher's Pet" TV show or the movie don't have the ad budget that disney's last feature will so please save your "Told you so!"'s. [cheers]

and now to steer this back to it's topic, i'm more inclined now to go see "Teacher's Pet" now - which seems to be closer to a real cartoon.

Shane Glines
IE # 87
Member # 2513

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Shane Glines   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Glines         Edit/Delete Post 
The trailers for Home on the Range look nothing at all like the amazing artwork I saw on the walls at Disney over 7 years ago. It was spooky, creepy, cool and exciting. It looked like a film that was being made by cartoonists.
It was something very different for Disney- which I suppose is why none of it seems to have made it to the screen.
Watch that trailer. Do you see any decisions that look like they were made by artists? Do you think that the same artists that did the gorgeous development on Sweating bullets came up with the line "You go, cowgirl!" or "Say girls, got milk?" Do you think it was cartoonists that decided to go from the very unique, Tim Burton-ish look of the development artwork to the "Fivel Goes West" appearance of the trailer?
Did an cartoonist decide that Roseanne would be a great voice for a Disney feature?

--------------------
www.shaneglines.net
www.cartoonretro.com

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're getting to the crux of the matter here...

A.) Some of us want to see beautifully-animated cartoons, whether or not they're funny...

B.) Some of us are more interested in seeing funny, entertaining cartoons that may not be particularly beautifully animated.

C,) And some of us won't settle for less than demanding to see both aspects in the same cartoon.

Having been raised on H-B and Jay Ward and Format Films and YELLOW SUBMARINE, I guess I'm in the "B" category (TEACHER'S PET strikes me as fitting the description of the "B" category)...although I sure looove certain cartoons by Bob Clampett and Tex Avery and Ward Kimball that are definitely in the "C" category.

So, is there anyone else here -- who has actually seen TEACHER'S PET -- who might want to chime in? Or are we gonna keep hearing from the "psychic critics" who somehow, just "know" what TEACHER'S PET is like? (C'mon, folks, open yer minds a teensy bit!)

Scott!

Shane Glines
IE # 87
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Glines   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Glines         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
B.) Some of us are more interested in seeing funny, entertaining cartoons that may not be particularly beautifully animated.
I know that I'm that category, and I think the general public is as well.

Look at the really big mainstream animation successes over the years:

Ren & Stimpy
Beavis & Butthead
Spongebob
Dexter's Lab
Powerpuff Girls
Simpsons

all cartoony cartoons.

Look at how long good cartoony cartoons last:
Looney Tunes
Tom & Jerry
Tex Avery
Chuck Jones
Bob Clampett
Hanna-Barbera

All still shown daily, decades after they were created.

I love good animation. I dutifly go see every Disney and Dreamworks animated film because I am totally in awe of the work done by people like Glen Keane, Mark Henn, Ken Duncan, and many more. But almost without exception I think that the movies are terrible. These incredible performance are always tainted by the obvious interference by idiot executives and the compromises made to sell Happy Meals and cheap Target clothing. I can spot the meddling a mile away an it infuriates me.
Nothing makes me happier that to see one of these great artists working on a
project of their own.
it will be the savior of this artform.

--------------------
www.shaneglines.net
www.cartoonretro.com

gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott! mentioned:
quote:
entertaining cartoons
Mr. Shaw's list of three is worth voting on [hint, hint, mr. poll poster sir] .

Hope entertaining cartoons wins in a landslide!

Culture is both broader than ever nowadays and it is also kind of compartmentalized these days; too many nichey cubbyholes.
You know what sucks?
Prejudging entertainment or even dismissing incomplete or completed endeavors is an entertainment option nowadays.

Back in my day, we either accepted the entertainment or just made our own. I'm sure most of you could, and should, do the same.

Happy Tuesday to yas!

Raincloud
Member # 2874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raincloud   Email Raincloud         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree about Home on the Range, it looks like it has a lot more appeal for general audience than the recent disney movies you mentioned...and it seems far less sappy and slow-moving than brother bear, although from the previews it looks like it has little plot.

One thing about Brother Bear that sucked in my opinion is that the characters are just not interesting. It's as though the movie has no characters at all; just a cast of extras. Really the highlight of this picture was the appearance of the McKenzie Brothers from SCTV who did a good parody of themselves as the moose.

In contrast, Home on the Range looks like it has characters that are at least interesting.

by the way, offbeat the comment about your hippie art teacher, hilarious! i have the unending pleasure of living in an entire town full of such people, known as Davis California. oh the amusement never ends. [funny]

[spelling]

[ February 04, 2004, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Account Administration ]

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
A poll? Great idea, Gergley!

Therefore, until the AN mods can set up one here, I've posted a poll on this topic -- "Animated Cartoons: What Do YOU Look For?" -- over on my ODDBALL COMICS message board:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94853

Drop on by, cartoonists...you may run into someone you know! (I've got a lot of pro cartoonists who are regular posters over there, too!)

Thanks,

Scott!

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 6 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the purpose of my "Calls em' likes I sees em'" editorials Is that I hope to establish a fairly accurate track record of predicting box office hits or s-hits. ... That's copyrighted to me BTW.. "Gary Clair's Movie Hits or S-Hits" And maybe someone high-up at Disney will come across this, and say.. he should be driving! ...or at least holding the Thomas Guide.

We all know That there are people who are making awful awful decisions about what gets greenlit at Disney. I have my finger on the pulse of what sells in entertainment.. they have their fingers up their nose. (NOTE: I did NOT say 'ass')

If they were smart.. they'd hire me to make those judgement calls for them.

For Example.. Chicken Little.. good idea for a 7-30 minute short, BAAAAAD idea for a full feature movie. Especially for their flagship digital movie.

Here's another freebie.. they should reassemble the team that did Dinosaur for their Digital Division. Disney Digital. If they had a good script, they could give Pixar a run for their money.

I am cursed/ blessed with hip taste. And can you put a price on that? I know my agent can!

RedDiabla
IE # 10
Member # 1007

Icon 3 posted      Profile for RedDiabla   Email RedDiabla         Edit/Delete Post 
Raincloud said,

quote:
by the way, offbeat the comment about your hippie art teacher, hilarious! i have the unending pleasure of living in an entire town full of such people, known as Davis California. oh the amusement never ends.
Wow! An almost homie! I grew up in a worse craphole...Woodland. Yes, pity me, but only for a moment, since I made my escape over ten years ago. [abducted]

Actually, Davis was an oasis in the middle of crap when I was a teenager. Being an artist in Woodland was pretty much an exercise in torture since the local rednecks gave me and my friends a LOT of grief, so going to Davis and hanging out on the UC campus kept me from going on a killing spree.

Ah, good times. [biggrin]

RD

Tinalera Shadowhawk
Member # 669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinalera Shadowhawk   Email Tinalera Shadowhawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious-wasn't Sweating Bullets supposed to be about cows waiting to go to the slaughter house way back when? I'm sure I read that when it was titled Sweating Bullets(which the title seemed to make sense). Maybe someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong. That's not what Home On The Range seems to be about(though I'll admit the animation intrigues me, but I don't know about the script, the dialogue didn't intrigue me too much)
snobot
Member # 2555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snobot   Email snobot         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came from seeing Teacher's Pet at the El Capitan (the 'the captain'?). The show was opened by a rousing visit from a fresh-faced young singer - dancer and, you guessed it, Mickey Mouse himself!

What I am wondering is: if anyone has seen the movie and didn't like it, why didn't you like it? What was it about the movie that dissappointed you/pissed you off/whatever?

thanks in advance for your comments!

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
SHANE WROTE: "I love good animation. I dutifly go see every Disney and Dreamworks animated film because I am totally in awe of the work done by people like Glen Keane, Mark Henn, Ken Duncan, and many more. But almost without exception I think that the movies are terrible. "

... I couldn't agree more. Disney and Dreamworks movies are technically better animated film, but I would pass them up for more interesting subject matter, like Akira or a collection of Old Warner Bros. shorts. Heck, even a Southpark movie.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

... and that isn't because i'm an adult. When I was a kid, it was torture for me to sit through a Disney cartoon. I downright hated them. It wasn't untill college I appreciated them for the beautiful artwork and animation.
dave roman
Member # 2885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dave roman   Email dave roman         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I went to see Teacher’s Pet and very much enjoyed it. There are a lot of genuinely inspired and funny moments in a story that is far from original and yet manages to feel surprising because of the details. As a fan of minimalism and exaggeration in cartooning I found Gary Baseman’s expressive style projected on the big screen to be mesmerizing at times. I was compelled by the artwork much more here than I did the few times I watched it on television.

It’s true that Teacher’s Pet is just another cheaply produced movie based on a TV show, but luckily it’s based on a pretty decent one with lots of talented folks involved. In a lot of ways it is more of a symbol of “pure” creativity and entertainment just for it’s own sake than the average Disney/Dreamworks movie, since there really isn’t that much merchandising or Happy Meal toys riding on its success.

For the first 20 minutes or so I was nervous that there wasn’t going to be enough to warrant its transfer from TV to film, but as soon as the characters get to Florida (with a great visual gag about not being able to find it) Teacher’s Pet pretty much takes off and becomes a wild ride worth taking. I think you can compare it to the Triplets of Belleville in the way it truly takes advantage of the animation medium to really be about the drawing. Sure it isn’t as advanced as “Triplets” but it certainly makes up for it in its own playful charm. It feels like a tribute to old time cartoony cartoons where everything from the sun to inanimate objects move up and down and have wacky expression. Even a mailbox is fun to look at in Baseman’s world.
I don’t think of myself as a Nathan Lane fan, but I can’t deny the enthusiasm and energy he brings to the roll. I’m constantly rooting for that little dog with a dream. And all the side characters are pretty great too. Especially the paranoid cat, Mr. Jolly and Mrs. Helperman the mom/teacher whose hyper-positive energy is familiar and yet still a constant crack up.
Sure cranky people could nitpick that this film is far from groundbreaking and doesn’t stack up to where Pixar has taken the state of animation. But if you can just give yourself up to the energy of it all you will have a great time. Much like after I saw Iron Giant, I’m extremely disappointed this film is getting next to no promotion, so I can only hope that people will eventually discover this quiet gem down the road someday.

Eric Hedman
IE # 84
Member # 2453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric Hedman   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Hedman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The trailers for Home on the Range look nothing at all like the amazing artwork I saw on the walls at Disney over 7 years ago.
But, Boy oh Boy... Those character designs are sure gonna make good happy meal toys!!!!!

Send in the Cows.....
There ought to be Cows....
Well, maybe.....next.....year......

--------------------
http://www.radiodismuke.com
20's-30's music

Come see my Second Life Stuff
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chilispoon/128/80/39

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012