AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Teacher's Pet (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Teacher's Pet
Raincloud
Member # 2874

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Raincloud   Email Raincloud         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is wonderful. It is so good I saw it two times and am certainly going to purchase the DVD.

The marriage of Gary Baseman's deranged and somewhat distasteful artwork and animation was a surprisingly happy union...not to mention the stellar voice work in this picture.

While I quite dislike Nathan Lane and Kelsey Grammar in genearl, and especially when used as voice actors (which they oughtn't to be) I was really impressed with both of them.

What made this film so strong was not necessarily the script, the songs, the story or the characters (all of which were outstanding anyway), but the animation itself. The visual gags that abounded in every scene are intriguing and hialrious. Seeing this movie more than once only emphasised this point. It's a picture I coudl watch over and over.

I was also impressed with the aniamtion of the mouths of the characters. A werid point I know but so much of today's work is shoddy in thsi area.

Has anybody else seen this movie and cares to comment on it? If you haven't seen it go treat yourself to a great film. It's great for adults and children and students of animation alike.

Love,
Raincloud

IP: Logged
Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
No Thanks

--------------------
http://jasenstrong.artstooge.com/
http://jasenstrong.blogspot.com/

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 10 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
It's OK Raincloud, I remember the first time I ever saw a movie too. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I ever saw.

It wasn't untill after I saw the second and third movie untill I realized that Sylvester Stallone's "Over the Top", a movie about arm wrestling, sucked donkey butt.

I suggest seeing more movies. Try "Pinnochio"

Either that, or you're sitting on a box of 'Teacher's Pet' cells, and you're trying to 'up' the value of them. Last I checked, they were lower than blank ones. lol!

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
Though.. looking at Baseman's drawing style, it looks like he learned it from someone named 'Raincloud' or 'moonbeam' or 'flowerchild'
lol
Are you defending him?

Shane Glines
IE # 87
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane Glines   Author's Homepage   Email Shane Glines         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. A guy takes the time to recommend a cartoon he enjoyed- even listing specific things that he thought worked well, and is greeted with rudeness, condescension and lame attempts at humor. Didn't you get get it out of your system in the last Teacher's Pet thread?
Does anyone here like cartoons?

--------------------
www.shaneglines.net
www.cartoonretro.com

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cartoons.. love them!

but you GOTTA admit.. they don't make em' like they used to.

And then you gotta ask ...why?
Then ask why have standards gone down so far?

Then a possible answer, at least what I came to.. is that these studios believe that people will accept whatever they dish out to them.

Mediocrity.

Businesses will get away with doing things as cheaply as they think they can get away with.

It's my job as an animation lover to voice my opinion that I will not accept cheap animation, and I find it insulting that they try to put it in the same category as other Disney classics.

And I'm not being negative as much as I am canceling out a positive vote towards mediocrity.

[Big Grin] someone's gotta do it!

Raincloud... I hope you know, I loves yas! I hope you didn't take it as a personal hit towards you, as much as it was a conflicting opinion to yours.

RedDiabla
IE # 10
Member # 1007

Icon 2 posted      Profile for RedDiabla   Email RedDiabla         Edit/Delete Post 
At least Raincloud bothered to actually SEE the film so many others are content to slam without looking to find out if it's really worth their ire.

It'd sure be nice if you kids could manage to figure out the difference between slamming Disney for mediocrity (it ain't that hard) and unecessarily harping on Teacher's Pet style and technique just because it's not the pwetty amination you happen to prefer.

Sheesh. [Gary]

RD

droosan
IE # 4
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droosan           Edit/Delete Post 
I like cartoons. [Big Grin]

And I like TEACHER'S PET. The TV series and the movie. [thumbsup]

Though the movie is really just the series writ large. Is it a classic on the level of PINOCCHIO? Heck no! Is it trying to be? Heck, no! Was it a mistake to use that imagery in the trailer? Prob'ly. [Yes]

If people choose to dislike TEACHER'S PET .. or even deride it, sight-unseen, based on where/how it was made, or their opinion of the design/style .. well, hey, sounds like a "made-up mind" to me .. and IMHO, folks have as much right to feel one way as another .. [Razz]

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Kids, young enough can't tell the difference between flashing swatches of color either!... That's where this road is leading!!! "HI mr. yellow! Hi TV-safe RED! How's things? Good! Where's Orange?"

Ah... nevermind! I give up! Open the flood gates! Let the rivers of poo flow!

[puke]

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasen   Author's Homepage   Email Jasen         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we at least agree that Sylvester Stallone's "Over the Top" sucks?

--------------------

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife, son and I saw TEACHER'S PET during Superbowl yesterday and we all enjoyed it very much.

(I'm sure someone out there's already composing a snotty and snarky rebuttle to this; do us all a favor and save your cyber-breath.)

As with the TP TV series, Bill and Cheri Steinkellner's script is quite talky, but funny and smart enough to be consistantly amusing. The voiceover performances are also very well performed, as usual. Debra Jo Rupp's voice absolutely cracks me up, as does Jerry Stiller's hypernacho performance as "Pretty Boy". (Paul Reubens has a role, too!) Gary Baseman's intentionally crude designs works quite well with the somewhat herky-jerky animation to produce some very funny scenes. The color and big thick linework looks great enlarged on the big screen; again, the design's built-in crudity actually improve with the effect of theatrical magnification. The characters and palette may be ugly to a lot of people here, but despite this, I think the characters in TEACHER'S PET have a LOT of appeal. And many of the songs -- and there were a LOT of 'em -- were obviously commenting on cartoons with too many songs in 'em (possibly including TEACHER'S PET itself!)

Oh, and all the warped visual references to various classic Disney scenes were hilarious.

Sure, TEACHER'S PET ain't another LILO & STITCH (and was never intended to be) but it WAS a very entertaining 70 minutes that made all of us laugh a lot. Of course, it's not perfect; I had some problems with abandoned story elements (mostly resolved, L&S-style in the credits); the second act dragged a bit; I would have had much less of the Scott/Spot-as-a-hairy-middle-aged-human-man stuff) and as I mentioned, there may have been too many songs, even for the joke of "too many songs:"

But I dug TEACHER'S PET a LO and congratulations to everyone who worked on it.

(Heck, I wish I'D had a chance to work on it!)

Frankly, I'll take a genuinely funny cartoon over a beautifully animated one any day of the week -- although, in the best of all possible worlds, we'd have ones that were BOTH on a regular basis, eh?

Oh, and I'll buy the TEACHER'S PET DVD, too!

Scott!

Bill
IE # 166 ASIFA
Member # 1527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill   Email Bill         Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,
Have you seen Teacher's Pet?
I have. It's not anything special, maybe even mediocre, but not awful. If you have seen it... slam away! If not... .

Nipplenuts McGurk
Member # 1818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nipplenuts McGurk   Email Nipplenuts McGurk         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Shaw! wrote:
"...Debra Jo Rupp's voice absolutely cracks me up, as does Jerry Stiller's hypernacho performance as "Pretty Boy"."

Hypernacho!? That has a nice ring to it... I want to see Hyper Nacho: THE MOVIE!

Nipplenuts McGurk

Scott Shaw!
IE # 132
Member # 172

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Scott Shaw!   Email Scott Shaw!         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! "Hyper Nacho"! That's a GREAT idea, Nipplenuts!

Please sign this statement that affirms you had nothing to do with the creation of "Hyper Nacho".

("Hyper Nacho" and "Super Salsa" copyright Scott Shaw!)

Scott!

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I think the negative stuff we've heard about "Teacher's Pet" is more a dig at Disney than the inspired work of Gary Baseman.

As I said earlier, seeing Gary's work on the walls of the Frank Wells building was a real surprise. One would not have thought such imaginative stuff could possibly survive at Disney television. Obviously, seeing Gary's cool style on the big screen is not to everyone's taste. Yet, I wish we could separate the creation of funny cartoons from Eisner's strip mining of the Disney library.

Mark Morgan Jr.
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Morgan Jr.   Email Mark Morgan Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
I never even watched Teacher's Pet until about two months ago. Now it's one of my favorite shows. I don't care what anyone says, I love Baseman's art. The best way to describe it, I think would be to call it a sophisticated silliness. It's a calculated effect that does exclude a few people, but you have to admit, it does stand out.

As for the movie ... due to all the crappy musical cartoons that have been born in the last few years I've gotten to the point where if I even hear someone start to sing in a cartoon, I'll leave or at least be disgusted for the rest of the film. The music in that movie was so great I went out and bought the soundtrack right after it!

Teacher's Pet, both the movie and the series, are a triumph! I've seen the film three times and am salivating its upcoming release!

Bout time Disney put out something good again!

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Shane I like cartoons!!! [Smile]
I can't figure out the constant attacks on this film either. It's good that we're all so sure of our own abilities that we can slag the works of others, especially without seeing it first.

Dickie Crickitts
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dickie Crickitts   Email Dickie Crickitts         Edit/Delete Post 
What made this film so strong was not necessarily the script, the songs, the story or the characters (all of which were outstanding anyway), but the animation itself.

yeah and I'm sure Pebble and the Penguin had some great animation too, but it sucked overall.

I don't know if Gary Baseman's style really translates well into animation. It looks like it would because of the shapes and style, but I think his stuff is better off in print and best used as inspiration. What happens to his stuff is that when it gets animated, all the cheapness of production gets thrown in and all the character is lost.

I don't know Shane. Offbeat had me laughing. I wouldn't say this thread was a lame attempt at humor. You know, artists are the most opinonated people on the planet, which is what strenghtens their vision anyway, so I would never apologize for going off on my disklike of this or that! I can't imagine Frank Lloyd Wright being so wishy washy that he'd apologize for his views on fruity Victorian embellishments and design. [Cool]

Matt Wilson
IE # 139
Member # 1520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Wilson         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I find it pretty insulting that a guy can't say what movie he likes without being attacked and insulted and casted out as 'ignorant'. That's not what I recall Animation Nation was for. Trolling should be done somewhere else, somewhere with less integrity and respect. By attacking a newbie as flagrantly and rudely as you did, you not only make yourself look like bad but you make the site look bad as a whole. It sends a message to newbies that they're not welcome here. So think first.
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

No, I've not seen Teacher's Pet, but know it sucks the same way I know eating a turd will taste bad. Or touching fire will burn, or sticking a cockroach in my nose would cause discomfort. It's called having 'sense'. I don't need to experience those things to come to a conclusion.

But I'm through slamming Teacher's Pet. I guess i'll be satisfied with knowing the FACT I can call a box office bomb a mile away.

Home On The Range, on the other hand, Will be both a good movie and a box office hit!

[thumbsup]

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Matt, when did I insult his intelligence? Why can't I have an opinion?

Why don't you guys collectively write up a list of things I cannot talk about. I'll print them up ... and then try out my new paper shredder*!

*NOTE: The fact that I didn't say "...and wipe my ass with them!" should show a level of growth in my maturity department, and should be commended. I know it's not AS (no pun) funny, but censored comedy rarely is. [Smile]

Raincloud
Member # 2874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raincloud   Email Raincloud         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I wasn't trying to start an argument. I don't particularly like the show Teacher's Pet and thats another reason why I was so impressed with the movie.

Really the only reason I saw the movie was because Rob Paulsen and David Ogden Stiers are in it and I like them both very much, but I expected the movie to suck. I was happily surprised.

I didn't mean to compare it to Pinnochio which I think is a wonderful movie as well.

Although...if you haven't seen it perhaps you shouldn't be so adamant that your opinion is "right" and mine is "wrong", since I am speaking from experience and you from intuition. I can see how it may not appeal to some people though, especially since Baseman's style is...not really tasteful (I personally don't like his paintings at all).

I think it is rather childish of you to insult my name; I don't even know what your unintelligent comments about it mean...I was named this because it is an Indian name not because my parents were some sort of hippies. In fact they are conservative old farts so it is quite the opposite.

Mod Too
Member # 2800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mod Too           Edit/Delete Post 
While everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is not a call for personal attacks on either side. Raindcloud has a right to express an opinion, positive or negative, as does Offbeat. However, I request all to not begin slinging mud or pointing fingers. This can potentially lead to a locked thread, regardless of whose fault it is.

Also, there is no need to berate another for his/her opinion.

Just as a suggestion, using such terms as "wiping ones behind" does not encourage healthy debate.

Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that this movie is being talked about again.

When I saw "Triplets of Belleville" I thought back to "Teacher's Pet". One of "Triplets" strength was its fascinating imagery and artistic style. I liked to look at that movie to study the details in the artwork. The thing is I felt the same way about "Teacher's Pet". I thought BOTH movies had unique artistic styles that were intriguing to study. I think both Sylvan Chomet and Gary Baseman excelled in artistic design.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Icon 6 posted      Profile for OFFBEAT   Author's Homepage   Email OFFBEAT         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
You gotta admit, hippies like to give their kids Indian names.
(I'm part Indian, I have license to make fun of Indians and Irish people. Or maybe it's the Indian-Irish mixture that give me the thick skinned-can-take-a-joke genetics. I dunno.)

I'll break it down..

Hippies are known to teach without structure, discipline, fundamentals and 'you can do no wrong' type of philosophy.
I've even had the experience of having an art teacher named Summer Moon ****** whose assigned us to draw and paint naked and blindfolded in a dark closet. Not Joking.. Not Lying.

So, The joke is based on an assumption that I was making (for humor purposes only), that Baseman was raised artistically by hippies. But it works with Indians too. Especially Tribal Indian Art!

So MATHEMATICALLY...
The PROBLEM
What it is about Baseman's style animated that I don't like?

Common knowledge is that hippies give their kids Indian Names
+
Hippies are instructively unstructured "anything goes"
+
Assumption or Accusation
=
Solution that Baseman was taught how to draw by Hippies and/or Indians
=
Comedy Gold.

P.S. I like Baseman's Illustrative style.. not animated.. just like I wouldn't want to see a Joe Coleman or Robert WIlliams animated movie.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Comparing Sylvan Chomet to Gary Baseman in my presence could get a response from me that would make this thread 10 pages long, and possible get me kicked off of AN.
Don't do it again!

Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inkan   Author's Homepage   Email Inkan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do it again. [Smile] Oh, the animation definitely does not compare. But the imagery, I think both films excelled in that. It's good to see both "Teacher's Pet" and "Triplets of Belleville" constrict worlds that look very different from the dull Filmation-human look.
OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

... You know... on the news recently A man in Germany posted an ad online saying that he wanted to eat someone. And I thought to myself HOW CAN ANYONE THINK LIKE THAT??? HOW WERE THEY RAISED TO BE LIKE THAT??? ETC... ETC...

But then someone responded to him!!!
And I thought again... HOW CAN ANYONE THINK THIS WAY!!!! WHAT LEVEL OF WRONG HEADED THINKING IS THIS???? WHAT PLANET WERE YOU BROUGHT FROM??

and then the two met up. And the first Guy cut off the volunteer's (**CENSORED! rhymes with weenis**) (and this was in the news.. not making it up) and then he cooked it up.. and the two shared eating it. Then he set the bleeding victim into a tub of ice, and he told the guy.. if i'm alive in the morning, we can eat my (**CENSOREDS!! rhymes with breasticles**) for breakfast!
So, now I'm really THINKING HOW CAN ANYONE BE SO FAR REMOVED FROM THE WAY OF THINKING TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS????

And now... Inkan is puting Triplets of Belleville in the same category as Teacher's Pet.

I will never understand you nutburgers.

--------------------
"Get Rich, or Die Drawing!"

Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

quote:
... You know... on the news recently A man in Germany posted an ad online saying that he wanted to eat someone. And I thought to myself HOW CAN ANYONE THINK LIKE THAT??? HOW WERE THEY RAISED TO BE LIKE THAT??? ETC... ETC...
Want me to refer you to some Dolcett artwork? [Smile]

[ Just kidding. Moderator if I broke any rule with this post I apologize and I understand if you delete it. ]

Inkan
IE # 77
Member # 1089

quote:
both "Teacher's Pet" and "Triplets of Belleville" constrict worlds
[Big Grin] That should be "construct worlds". Sorry.

I should clarify that I was only refering to the character designs and the background artwork. "Triplets" of course has outstanding animation, and a better story ( "Teacher's Pet" needed a rewrite for its second half. There you go, "Teacher's Pet" shows artists excelling in character and background portrayals but being held down by still having to work from a script. )

q
IE # 104
Member # 727

Icon 7 posted      Profile for q   Author's Homepage   Email q         Edit/Delete Post 
i find the drawing style of "teachers pet" to be inspirational, i like it, and its popualrity signals that there is room on the top floor for artists with a personal property and indivdual style.

--------------------
"Thank you. And bring it on."

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to AN, Raincloud and thanks for sharing your opinion of Teacher's Pet.

Sorry about the welcome wagon. I wish that some members would be more considerate of newcomers to the site. Especially when they leave messages as balanced as yours. Once you get the hang of the many different personalities we have on this board, you'll be able to navigate around them a little better.

--------------------
 -

Trondheimfan
IE # 169
Member # 2282

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trondheimfan   Email Trondheimfan         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is sounding more and more interesting to me...
I wonder when/if it'll show up on this side of the ocean. It probably won't, 'cause we don't even have the tv-series over here.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Raincloud. [Wink]

--------------------
Tekenen is schrijven en spreken tegelijk.

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Before anyone thanks me for sharing my counter-opinion.. your wel-come!

Welcome to the board Raincloud! Don't mind my SAS. That's Smart Ass Syndrome... a form of turrets.

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Come on guys, it’s kinda good to throw new members into the deep end early. They’ll find out that we are one gigantic dysfunctional family sooner or later.

P.S. "Offbeat", tell your mamma to pick up her Army boots they are next to my bed. And "GuySmith" that can of Lysol next to my desk at DW... WAS for your smelly butt!

--------------------

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Dude... my mom is a hermaphodite... which makes you 1/2 gay! She says that you also left your "army" miniskirt, "army" tube top, and "army" Diana Ross record collection over there too!
[Big Grin]
Zing!

Jasen
IE # 129
Member # 2721

Ok … OffBeat, If I want S**T out of you… then I will just squeeze your head!

--------------------

javier
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for javier   Email javier         Edit/Delete Post 
OFFBEAT said:

quote:
No, I've not seen Teacher's Pet, but know it sucks the same way I know eating a turd will taste bad. Or touching fire will burn, or sticking a cockroach in my nose would cause discomfort. It's called having 'sense'. I don't need to experience those things to come to a conclusion.
But I'm through slamming Teacher's Pet. I guess i'll be satisfied with knowing the FACT I can call a box office bomb a mile away.
Home On The Range, on the other hand, Will be both a good movie and a box office hit!

eating a turd, touching fire, or sticking a cockroach in your mouth are different experiences from watching an animated movie. how can you compare that?

i haven't seen "Teacher's Pet" yet but i have seen "Home on the Range". and i can tell you that "TP" looks more interesting and fun than the latter... it's sad that's their last 2-d feature. the character design style, color, and animation are interesting but not enough to make me care about the story or characters.

roseanne cannot carry an animated film, just wait and see...

OFFBEAT
IE # 39
Member # 873

Javier.. check out the box office $$$ #'s of Teacher's Pet. Then a week after Home On The Range comes out. Then we'll talk. Untill then, build up an resistance to the phrase "Told you so!"
javier
Member # 347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for javier   Email javier         Edit/Delete Post 
disney will try to bury it, just like they did with "Brother Bear". it's no better than that one...

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012