AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Anyone ever hear of the film 'Rock & Rule' from Nelvana? (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone ever hear of the film 'Rock & Rule' from Nelvana?
Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a film that I had seen when I was about 12 and up at 2 in the morning. It was something entirely different from what I had ever known from an animated film.

There is one guy online who has the definitive Rock & Rule homepage: http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/jcannon/rocknrule/

I found a book in late MArch in Canada, that chronicled the company Nelvana's history, and got to read some rather intriguing information. Apparently, Nelvana was willing to push everything into making this film work. Of course, marketing and studio execs interfered and what you had was something that by the end of the process, lacked heart. But still, they managed to do some interesting work.

--------------------
"He's got three Piston Cups!"
"He did WHAT in his cup!??"

IP: Logged
Ferretshark
Member # 1875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ferretshark   Email Ferretshark         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my college instructor worked on Rock N. Rule. He animated the roller skating henchmen...I believe though he is credited as an assistant but he swears he did the keys. hahahaha....

Actually, it was on the telly a few years ago and that's how I got it on tape!

It came out just after Heavy Metal (or something like that) and it didn't quite pick up the popularity as its counterpart did.

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hockey Frog   Email Hockey Frog         Edit/Delete Post 
Also noteworthy is that it was the first animated feature partly funded by drug dealing.

More noteworthy is that an entire generation of animators worked on it. It wasn't just the only gig in town, it was the only gig in North America at the time. And they had trouble finding artists! How times have changed.

A list of now-well-known artists who contributed:

Dave Brewster
Robin Budd
Chuck Gammage
Frank Nissen
Tom Sito
Charlie Bonifacio
Bob Jaques
Kieth Ingham
myself

my memory is fading...please add to the list, fellow former R&Rers.

--------------------
"I was obliged to work hard. Anyone who works equally hard will succeed, equally."
Johann Sebastian Bach

Ferretshark
Member # 1875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ferretshark   Email Ferretshark         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hockey Frog:
Also noteworthy is that it was the first animated feature partly funded by drug dealing.

Wow. That's a heck of an accusation. Can you explain this a bit more?

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Rock and Rule,

If you look back in the archives this flick comes up in discussion pretty frequently. In fact I think I had heard that someone was trying to compile an "Art of" book for it.

Most of the interesting Canadian feature stories I've heard have had to do with the First Care Bears film. Supposedly Brewster had some really amazing scenes in the film but they all got hacked when they hit the clean-department.

DAVE: give us the "Furry" Scoop on the Care Bears and Rock and Rule.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave is           Edit/Delete Post 
Annemarie Bardwell (who designed and animated Angel)
Linda Roy
Larry Jacobs
Roger Allers ( Director of the Lion King )
Wendy Perdue (my sweetie)
Gian Celestri (Cindy designer animator who frequents here)
Greg Duffel (ok Greg quit just after the beginning , a touchy guy but a great animator)
Our very own Tahsin #643 (The one and only Turkish Animator)
Ralphy Palmer
John Collins ESQ (I miss John, I wonder what he is up to)
Bill Speers (who did just a great job on Stretch and who is somewhere in Europe I think directing ).
Ken Stephenson
Dale Cummings (who is an award winning editorial cartoonist in Winnipeg. go Mutt )

So many great people.

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Dave is           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, well TS I animated the promo that sold the CB movie. It was 90 ft , I animated it myself and did it in three weeks. It was almost all on ones. American Greeting Cards saw it and were pretty impressed. They asked me if we could do an entire film that way . I said yes but it was with guilt knowing they would never give us the time or the money. Knowing that most of it was to be posed and sent overeas.

A few from the promo ended up in the film but one of those was retraced by Hoops (Jon) believe or Andy (siverthorn ) , I can't remember (a profile Lion run was given a serious expression , you will know it, the only run in the entire film on ones). The only scene that I think is still intact from the promo is a blue rabbit character that pops up from behind some bushes , air scrambles and fires off in a blue streak across a pond. Yes, it was ones. My clean up as well I believe .

I know I could have told American Greeting Cards "No, we can't do that because you won't give us the time or the money " but in retrospect it employed a lot of artists and for Christs sake it won the f--king Golden Reel Award at the Genies (for being the highest grossing Canadian film ) so you can see how bad the the Canadian film market was hurting.
Had I known it would spawn so many sequels and all that crappy overseas work I would have considered blowing up the studio but then you can just never tell the future.

Recently a friend Charles presented me with the rerelease copy (now in a pretty pink clamshell , jesus ) . I told him I felt like Jacob Marley dragging my chains around regretting my past transgressions . Perhaps we should move this to the sellout thread. Whats even more horrifying is that it has far exceeded any profit that Treasure planet will make and that it's 3 million dollar budget was taken from the toys 20 million dollar advertising budget.

tstevens
IE # 234
Member # 801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tstevens   Author's Homepage   Email tstevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Crap!

Sucks to hear they shredded your animation, Andy was actually the one who told me how awesome it looked before it got torn apart.

I still can't get over the fact that it was produced for $3 million.

Thanks for sharing though.

On the bright side it did employ a lot people when it was produced. You'll actually be shocked to know that they are bringing the toys back for a thier twentieth anniversary. I saw the display at a store here in town and it almost sent me into a heart attack: Those god awful pastel bears have risen from the dead.

--------------------
http://www.foogersnarts.blogspot.com

Nipplenuts McGurk
Member # 1818

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Nipplenuts McGurk   Email Nipplenuts McGurk         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Rock & Rule, and all you guys who worked on it...uh...ROCK! I have it on Laserdisc, but I really wish someone would figure out the legalese so it can be released in an widescreen DVD w/ both US and Canadian Editions....if Heavy Metal (and that piece of crap FAKK2) can be on DVD, Rock & Rule should be!

Nipplenuts McGurk

Nipplenuts McGurk
Member # 1818

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nipplenuts McGurk   Email Nipplenuts McGurk         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, by the way.........what was the process used to make the translucent swirly effect in the monster at the end of the movie? To this day that looks SO COOL. Whoever animated that thing is lord.

Nipplenuts McGurk

closed
self exiled troll
Member # 165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for closed           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brewster:
It was almost all on ones. ......

Yes, it was ones.

How I curse the day Herr Brewster was born!

Tahsin
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tahsin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our very own Tahsin #643 (The one and only Turkish Animator)

Thanks Dave: I was then an inbetweener under the very able Gian Celestri, as well as still being a Sheridan student.

Since then there are other Turkish animators, some of whom I have instructed, so I'm not the only one. Not many, but some quite good. You can check www.ersoz.com. for a very good one (His name is Sahin, worked under Andeas Deja on Hercules, and supervised Steele in Balto).

quote:
Oh, by the way.........what was the process used to make the translucent swirly effect in the monster at the end of the movie? To this day that looks SO COOL. Whoever animated that thing is lord.

I heard something about cow brains under the camera. I'm sure there's someone who can tell you more about it.

Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael W Howe   Email Michael W Howe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whats even more horrifying is that it has far exceeded any profit that Treasure planet will make and that it's 3 million dollar budget was taken from the toys 20 million dollar advertising budget.

I remember in my book 'The ARt of Animation: From Mickey Mouse to Beauty and the Beast,' that someone quoted that after the BLack Cauldron came out, someone said 'This film was made for about the same as the Care Bears and still died.'

BTW, can anyone explain the total significance behind that 'Care Bear Stare?' The magazine had one of the best captions about the reemergence of Care Bear merchandise: 'Run for your lives! Their Care Bear Stare will hunt you down to the ends of the Earth and destroy you!'

--------------------

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

The translucent swirly thing was the demon. It was done with several layers of bipacking. The animation for the majority was Chuck (with Ralph Palmer doing couple scenes , most notbly the scene where the flaming head kills Zip) .

The up front animation from Chuck (which was made up of the demonhead and screaming tormented souls) was hand rendered drawing by drawing with conte (brown as I remember) then photographed into a codalith (sp? I really don't know how it's spelled). This rendered a negative which was matted to block out the area surrounding the figure. The cow guts were shot separately and then back projected so you got a burn in effect at the same time . If Kieth Ingham (the head of FX ) were here he could explain it better .

A note , I believe Chuck did something similar when he animated the final quickening in the original Highlander .

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

quote:
I remember in my book 'The ARt of Animation: From Mickey Mouse to Beauty and the Beast,' that someone quoted that after the BLack Cauldron came out, someone said 'This film was made for about the same as the Care Bears and still died.

Actually I think they are talking about it being the same cost as R@R which was around 8 million in the end. Cauldren came out exactly the same tim as R@R and was even in a double review that trashed the Disney film while praising Nelvana.

Sleeping Beauty cost 6 million as I remember and that was in the 1950's when people made 19 dollars a week. No Disney film even comes close to the low budget of CB the movie . Cauldren's problem was story and film making. The animation was pretty good as I remember.

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

quote:
How I curse the day Herr Brewster was born!

Me too. Still I haven't had you leap up onto my thighs in so long the impressions you made are starting to fade.

closed
self exiled troll
Member # 165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for closed           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahaaa, getting a little misty-eyed for those late nights grappling across your living room floor whilest W and K hurled pizza crusts and cheered on their favourite?? The rounds were always kept to under 5 minutes, as the wafting sodium nitrate fumes eventually caused blackouts and memory loss between the two hyperventilating titans....sorry, mein Lehrer, but you'll have to recreate those golden times on your own...you can use several jumbo bags of Stay-Puffed marshmallows and a can of peanut oil in my stead. At the climactic shoulder pin (and we know WHO would be the underdog) you can deep inhale a bag of HotRod sausages....I'm tearing up just thinking about it.
Ohmtown
Member # 1051

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ohmtown   Email Ohmtown         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you look back in the archives this flick comes up in discussion pretty frequently. In fact I think I had heard that someone was trying to compile an "Art of" book for it.

The book is still in the works, yes. It is a 'Making and Art of' book that a lot of people feel should be on our respective animation-related bookshelves.

I wouldn't mind working the drug money angle in on the bio, but no-one I've interviewed will go on record or give me specifics, so until more than one person will do that (to corroberate each other), I'm not willing to be sued for slander without a "case".

As for Bill Speers, I had heard he is actually residing by Meech Lake here in Ontario(!) Maybe we should start a Where's Waldo-type of debate for Bill?!

See the new Rock & Rule-related topic I'll be posting, posing a new question...

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hockey Frog   Email Hockey Frog         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for refreshing my memories, Dave. I was just a skinny 19 year-old, but it was damn exciting. I remember my only regret was being told I missed Iggy Pop when he toured the studio.

--------------------
"I was obliged to work hard. Anyone who works equally hard will succeed, equally."
Johann Sebastian Bach

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Oh, and Tash, I didn't know you worked on the film. We were on different ends of the labyrinth. I never met you till 10 years later in Germany!!!

--------------------
Johann Sebastian Bach

Ferretshark
Member # 1875

quote:

Hoy! Hockey Frog! "Joo got some 'splaineeng to do, Lucy!"

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

What, did I say that? Silly me...

Go to a festival, find someone who worked on the film, buy them lots of beers, and then you may find out more.

Nuff said.

--------------------
Johann Sebastian Bach

Ferretshark
Member # 1875

quote:
What, did I say that? Silly me...

Go to a festival, find someone who worked on the film, buy them lots of beers, and then you may find out more.

Nuff said.

BAH! HUMBUG!
You just made the naughty list.....

Nickolas
Member # 1830

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Nickolas   Email Nickolas         Edit/Delete Post 
Heroin + animation = Smells like Nelvana
pudd
IE # 30
Member # 262

Icon 3 posted      Profile for pudd   Email pudd         Edit/Delete Post 
ahhh the combined smells of the Nelvana kitchen > chili cheese dogs and dope.

--------------------
Your scenes are there forever - Ollie Johnston

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
So the rumours was true about the drugs!!
rostrum
Member # 256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rostrum   Email rostrum         Edit/Delete Post 
it was the canadian Studio 54...!
Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

Hey, this has turned into a very interesting mainline...I mean thread. Though I didn't mean to CRACK open a can of worms...

--------------------
Johann Sebastian Bach

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

It wasn't heroin, it was coke. But hey, who ever heard of drugs in the film community. NAWWWWWWWWWW !!!! It could never happen. Not a chance.

Did Patrick show everyone else his $500 silk shirt ? I'm waiting to see what Clive does when he starts up again after his contactual restrictions run out . Among the three of them he was the only real artist and whatever it is I'm pretty sure it will be interesting.

Tahsin
Member # 643

"I've got uppahs and downahs, screamahs and shoutahs, and thing that make you go sideways, mannn!" That line from the film has a new significance now.

By the way, Hockey, I was so obsessed with making a good impression that I hardly left my desk, came in early, worked late, so no surprise you don't remember.

Somehow, every time I hear the song "Tainted Love", that cafeteria floats before my eyes.

JHBucktooth
Member # 1884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JHBucktooth   Email JHBucktooth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave,

I remember going to a comic-con in LA back in '81-'82 when I was a wee lad at CalArts. There was a whole panel devoted to DRATS, the movie that eventually evolved into Rock and Rule, yes?
The designs were totally different, much more Carl Barks-ish anthropoid animals, if I recall. Am I nuts? Was there some mandate that came down to "humanize' the character designs? Just curious.

Anim8edcox
IE # 2
Member # 1165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anim8edcox   Author's Homepage   Email Anim8edcox         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! A fascinating favorite film of mine just continues to get more interesting with time! (The mark of a true classic?)

I'm enjoying like hell the reminiscences shared here on R&R, and I have to comment on the cocaine/drug situation memntioned. It WAS the 80'safter all! Everywhere one went the stuff was around and/or available. I don't think that everyone was on it, but I would guess that the prevelant drug references in the film would certainly mark it as a no-kid-friendly film for sure. I guess that's why it stands out so strongly in my head. It was an animated film that was on a more mature/adult level while retaining the fun/childlike qualities that animation fans could even then still grasp and enjoy. It was daring, fresh, original and above all...fun!

Thanks to all of you who were on this film...and may ohmtown finally get his "Art of" book off the ground soon! (As well as however owns the darned film deciding to finally release it on DVD!)

--------------------
Anim8edcox
 -

Hockey Frog
IE # 32
Member # 1432

I was speaking with Keith Ingham last night, and indeed he said he DID use cow entrails in the effects mentioned above. Hopefully he'll drop in and give us more insight into the inventive processes they used for effects in R&R.

--------------------
Johann Sebastian Bach

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

quote:
Hey Dave,

I remember going to a comic-con in LA back in '81-'82 when I was a wee lad at CalArts. There was a whole panel devoted to DRATS, the movie that eventually evolved into Rock and Rule, yes? The designs were totally different, much more Carl Barks-ish anthropoid animals, if I recall. Am I nuts? Was there some mandate that came down to "humanize' the character designs? Just curious.

The original concept designs were all created by Frank Nissan and in the first developement they were more cartoon JH . Franks first concepts for Mok looked exactly like Mick jagger because they were trying to get Mick to do it. I believe they approached David Bowie as well.

I don't think the evolution to more human proportions was an open decision JH . I think it was the way it evolved. An interesting point to prove that. Greg Duffel originally started Mylar the club owner but when Greg left John Collins ESQ took over the character. Johns animation for Mylar was great but they ignored the design difference till nearly the very end and then suddenly realized it hadn't become more human like the rest of the characters. John was pretty spent and the thought of totally redoing the entire character was a bit much so Gian Celestri jumped in and redid the entire character, quite successully (Gian of course did Cindy and Officer Quadhole as well). I'm sure that was frustrating for John but he was such a trooper he took it very well but then he was very professional. I did get really drunk with him that day though.

Robin really should talk on Mok because he was in constant evolution. We used to joke about the different versions calling them Jan Mok , Feb. Mok etc as he searched for a look he liked but Robin was just wonderful to work for. I just cannot say enough just how much of a joy he made it . Every lead should be as cool. Everybody seems to like the rubber suit Mok and that was pretty much near the end of the evolution but I still love the "Hi, I'm MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMok, anyone for beer "? Very early on Mok but just beautiful work.

One of the weird things that happened near the end was Frank Nissans Omar nose. Seems it evolved during the film and they had to top cel a new nose for a bunch of scenes. Rumor has it they spent 50 grand redoing all those noses. Ahh Memories.
Oh , I forgot to mention a couple other animators.

Cynthia Swift (who did Dizzy with Charlie B)
Shavonne Ramsurran ( brother of Dev for you Ottawa devotes)
Dale Schott
John Halfpenny (who also wrote and painted)
Elaine DePaine (I know I spelled this wrong forgive me )

And Ray Jafelice , head of story and layout who must have changed that story board a million times . What a great guy. I hope Keith Ingham shows up here .

John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John (Gian) Celestri   Email John (Gian) Celestri         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Greg Duffel originally started Mylar the club owner but when Greg left John Collins ESQ took over the character. Johns animation for Mylar was great but they ignored the design difference till nearly the very end and then suddenly realized it hadn't become more human like the rest of the characters. John was pretty spent and the thought of totally redoing the entire character was a bit much so Gian Celestri jumped in and redid the entire character, quite successully (Gian of course did Cindy and Officer Quadhole as well). I'm sure that was frustrating for John but he was such a trooper he took it very well but then he was very professional. I did get really drunk with him that day though.

Hey Dave, Tahsin! I was surfing by and saw the Nelvana topics -- always sends up a red flag in the pit of my stomach.

Regarding Mylar: (This is now going back over twenty years, but there are particulars I DO remember clearly) I was really dumbfounded that Patrick wanted to trash all the footage that John Collins had slaved over -- after all, John was following Clive's direction and handling Mylar in the same animation style as Greg Duffel's. But it was more than just a dissatisfaction with the character's design (remember, my version of Mylar the rat-faced club owner sure wasn't very human-like). I had just finished Cindy after spending a full year on Quadhole, and I was pretty tired, too. But Patrick told me he wanted me to handle Mylar the same way I had approached Cindy and Quadhole. I told him that John's work stood up as well as anyone else's on the picture (I remember telling John that very thing). But once Patrick got a notion stuck in his head (good or bad), there was nothing anyone could do to make him think differently. He was the boss, so I handled the assignment as well as I could.

To cap the whole thing, six months after I'd finished all my work on R & R, it was my turn to get a little drunk -- Patrick had cut out 50% of my Quadhole animation from the film because (according to Patrick) my animation of this secondary character was overpowering the main characters whenever they shared the screen. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Go figure.

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

If they do a DVD Gian I hope they put all those deleted Quad scenes in it (or how about those bus station Omars, man you pumped out a huge amount of stuff and all of it dead on) . They were incredible and I was really bothered when they got cut . Who could have seen the potential in DVD releases.

I know John never felt you were doing anything but what you were asked when you redid the character. I just don't know where you found the time. It was pretty close to the end and you managed to slam that stuff out. Gian by the way was the first person who ever showed me how to time a scene as a whole. Using one chart to plot the entire rythm of a scene. I think I still have those Quad notes .

John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Icon 12 posted      Profile for John (Gian) Celestri   Email John (Gian) Celestri         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, Dave! I forgot all about those Omar scenes! See how the human brain will bury unpleasant memories? I did like doing Dizzy's mooning scene, though (some of my best work )

Thanks for the compliment. Pumping out those Mylar and Omar scenes was the result of using drugs (caffeine and nicotine) and timing the vast majority of the animation on two's -- versus on one's which was the way I had gone with Quad and Cindy. Quad sopoke too fast for the lip sync to be on two's and be believable, and Cindy's energy rythme was so hyper, she HAD to be on ones.

(Hmmm, maybe what the world needs is "The Rock & Rule Cult Animators' Notebook". Something unofficial and unauthorized and probably illegal. I've still got xeroxes of all the drawings I did of Quad, Cindy, and Mylar, plus the notes for the classes I gave. Maybe there are others out there who have stuff of their own to throw into the pot? But then again, who the hell would want to look at this stuff when computers have buried 2D?

Michael W Howe
IE # 251
Member # 1827

Wow, this topic just won't die! The guys who worked on it are here, all I can say is, wow, what a trip! At the age of 12, it still had not fully sunnk in. The only word I had to go on, because I had missed the title of this film was the city name 'Nuke York.'

That, and the ever glowing, ever pulsing demon that rises from the pit at the end. So, back then, was there anyone at Nelvana that was thinking halfway through the production 'what if we made Mok come back? what were Nelvana's studio politics on sequels?

That brings another question to my mind: if the Care Bears had evil twins, what would they be called?

--------------------

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
My Question is..
Does anyone know if Mick Jagger or any famous musicians has seen Rock and Rule??
I told my boyfriend [that has worked with many famous musicians]..He has never heard of the film either?

Tahsin
Member # 643

Actually, I know why all those guys were there at that particular time, working on that particular film, during the only eight months that I could have possibly been there. Because I was blessed, that's all.

Gian, it was great working for you, and learning from the work.

And just at this particular time, with all the problems involved in keeping my career going, I know why someone started this thread that reminds me of my beginnings, and allows me to witness the enthusiasm of the young people who read what has been written : because I must still be blessed.

I'm so excited I'm off to pull an all-nighter now! I've got a crowd scene to kill!

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012