AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Q for Mr. Fun re: Richard Williams

Author Topic: Q for Mr. Fun re: Richard Williams
painter
IE # 173
Member # 1623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painter   Email painter         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Fun,

After reading that you worked on Sleeping Beauty (which probably qualifies you as a "been there, done that" master), I wanted to bug you for an opinion. I am a Richard Williams fanatic. What do you think of his (and Ken Harris's and Ben Washam's) work on Thief and the Cobbler. I can't take my eyes of the beautiful work on ones and find the general design to be so unique...the final fate of the film is a tragedy. What is the general veterans view of the work done on the film? And how about Richard's other work like the Pink Panther titles and the opening Roger Rabbit short?

--------------------
it's here I sit and rust amid this ruin and rancor like tire irons
toothy grills and car parts before me...

IP: Logged
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. been there, done that, here. Sorry to take so long, but it's been a busy day.

Anyway, concerning Richard Williams --he's a pretty cool dude. I use to hang around his studio when he still had one here in Hollywood. This was years ago, and "Thief and the Cobbler was still in the pencil stage. I thought Dick's animation was fantastic. Great stuff. I remember the old debate about animation being on one's or twos. We always animated on one's at Disney if our animation had to be composited with live action. It just seem to look better. Brings back memories of "Mary Poppins." A whole lot of one's on that one. Not sure what they did in "Roger Rabbit," because I did not work on that one.

I was over at DreamWorks not long ago, when Dick did his lecture there. He's a guy who truly loves animation, and it's guys like him who make me believe CG will never, never replace traditional animation. Pencil on paper. That's what it's all about.

Oh, by the way. I had the opportunity to meet both Ken Harris and Benny Washam. Both are Master Animators, and can hold their own with any Disney animator.

painter
IE # 173
Member # 1623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painter   Email painter         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Fun,

Thanks for the response. I have always felt that ones look demonstrably better and anything on ones instantly draws my eye subconsciously. I noticed years ago when watching some game animation that even when the digital models or renderings are subpar, well done animation draws your eye. Most recently, some stuff on Time Squad looks like it was done on ones (which I find surprising) and it really catches my attention. Thanks again. It's always a pleasure to hear from a true veteran.

--------------------
it's here I sit and rust amid this ruin and rancor like tire irons
toothy grills and car parts before me...

heckboy
Member # 1131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heckboy   Email heckboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a lot of work from his studio, but overall, I find that he moves his charcaters too much. He thinks in terms of movement, not acting. Look at Roger Rabbit's ears, for example. They never stop moving or support Rogers attitude like Bug's ears do. They just swim all over like sea weed.
VonDrake
Member # 658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VonDrake   Email VonDrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told that the reason Roger Rabbit (and his ears) moves too much was a purposeful distraction.

The live-action camera was often moving and the subtle changes in perspective for the animators were easier to deal with by adding extra motion, rather than the painful and exacting slight shifts in perspective from frame to frame.

Maybe someone who worked on the film can comment.

Mz
Member # 1035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mz   Email Mz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Roger Rabbit is an apparent exception here coz for one thing, this guy's totally whacked & edgy character.

Richard Williams usually supply 50-60 % MOJO on all his works.

Another awesome one by Milt K was Shere Khan Jungle Book.

Mz
Member # 1035

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mz   Email Mz         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers for Mr Fun!!!!!! -- we've a got a living legend here! Good show, Sir!!!

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012