AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Unbelievable

Author Topic: Unbelievable
toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 9 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
So many threads on the subject at hand - I can't caught up from my head spinning. Just to throw my two cents in - I think and feel that we all seem petty and selfish during this time. There are people still unaccounted for, rescue workers risking their own health a safety for a small chance they may still find survivors, families who are mourning and others who are still waiting word for where their loved ones are,and deaths being confirmed and even funerals and I come here to see what my community is talking about, and all it seems to be is finger pointing - name calling and blaming. I am saddened by this tragedy and angry for the loss of live, who by the most part are innocent despite some people's guilt by association theory because they live and are citizens of a certain country. It sickens me to be a part of this community when everyone has to be right to the point of not caring about those who have suffered. I see a sentence here and there of how everyone is appalled of what has happened followed by paragraphs and threads of politcal pasts and faults etc. If there is anyone on here that would like to open a topic on what we can do as a community to help the victims - believe it or not there are victims in this disaster, let me know. I know we are better than this and I can only hope we all can get through are petty political hatred and bigotry to put the priorties of those who are busting there ass to help people and those who are suffering and need help. Otherwise continue with the hate and finger pointing - just leave me out of it.
IP: Logged
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, toonedbob. Adios. Nice knowin' ya. Come back every once in awhile to let us know how you're doing. When you do, do something about your own sanctimonious finger pointing.

We've gotten messages out to the people of Afghanistan. Members are talking about what they've done to help and where to go for others who want to help. We are crying and furious, yet behaving with incredible patience, dignity, poise and honor, even when people come here to blame America for this.

Go to Yahoo's message board and see what's going on over there before you come to Animation Nation and insult this community which you longer want to be a part of with your own crybaby politics.

--------------------
 -

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Your insulting attitude. That's what's unbelievable.

--------------------
 -

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave is           Edit/Delete Post 
Then you haven't read very deep in these threads Bob. There is way way more more in these threads than an insult (singular, one). There are bags full of praise, prayer and support for all those still struggling to save lives. When humans stop having differences then people on this planet will no longer misunderstand each other . If that is what you are waiting for I suggest you not hold your breath to long. Running away solves nothing and staying solves everything.
toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Charles and Dave - not planning to run away from the situation just setting my priorities straight which is to the Americans who have suffered and how to help them. Go ahead and kick me off Charles seiing how your definition of freely expressing one's opinions seems to only apply to you.
the Moderator
Administrator
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Moderator   Email the Moderator         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'm going to say something, and perhaps I ought to later start a thread in it's own right to describe my thoughts about the message board with regards to the recent terrorist activities. (By the way, thanks Steph for your post, -I noticed it while I was typing it up and was pleased that someone else was thinking along these lines).

This message board is intended for the discussion of news of importance to the animation industry. It is not a forum for discussing any old thing that crosses your mind. However I have allowed and even now encourage people to talk about things that they feel are worth discussing, even if it goes outside the focus of the board. Each of us is an individual with a life outside of the industry and it would be a disservice to you all if I were to be overly strict about keeping everything on topic. The more we learn about each other the more we respect each other for our differences and our similarities. We become a community of friends rather than a simple group of acquantences who share a common career. As the animation industry continues it's course of sending more and more work overseas without regard for the individual artists it's more important than ever before that we have that sense of community, of fellowship. This message board's focus remains on the industry, but I like to think that one of the best things that has developed as a result of Animation Nation is a focus on the people who call this board home.

The events of the past week go beyond words and idle interest. In many ways the ramifications of what happened on Tuesday will affect each of us personally and in ways impossible to ignore. This is particularly true of the people who lived through the attacks or who had loved ones who were affected by them. I'm not going to insist that we limit ourselves to animation related topics when so many of us are feeling the impact of what's happened outside our doors. Part of the healing and growing process is sharing, and as a community of friends we should be able to help and heal the hurt we all feel right here on this message board.

Unfortunately we each have our own opinion about the terrorist attacks and the reasons behind it, and with such a charged and terrible feeling it's all too easy to lose control of our emotions and see a differing point of view as wrong and hateful. Certainly I don't expect people to calmly discuss their feelings in the aftermath of the attacks as though they were having tea and crumpets and talking about the weather, but I would like people to remember that everyone is on edge and facing a world with more immediate danger and anger than they had not more than a week ago. People DO have differing points of view, as well as moods and tolerance. To get emotionally upset when someone else has a difference of opinion is to be perpetually in a state of anxiety, and I don't want that, nor do I want people to feel afraid about expressing their opinions here.

I've been musing about mood and tolerance ever since the attacks brought this to the fore last week. I've seen alot of people here in LA flying the American flag and I've often wondered whether these people have thought about all the things that the flag represents. Perhaps they're just expressing their grief and anger in a public manner as a personal response to the terrorists. What I hope is that everyone understands and appreciates what the idea of America allows, -that people are free to speak their mind, free to behave as rightously or hedonisticly as possible, and that individuality is encouraged and prized. Certainly there are other places in the world that you can experience these freedoms, but I don't think any other country can boast that their government was built with these freedoms as it's very foundation.

Having said all this, I'd like to ask those of you on the board who knowingly hold a contradictory or otherwise sour (read: wet blanket) opinion to be considerate of this and not speak as though you were trying to encourage a confrontation or to then fan the flames if someone does disagree forcefully to your statements.

Tooned, your opinion and time is welcome and appreciated. I trust that you and everyone else who reads this board understands that this is a difficult time we face.

-Brian Reynolds
-the Moderator

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

If you have ideas on how to help Bob PLEASE POST THEM. I don't see anyone stopping you and infact it would be most welcome. It has been a horrible week of pain, grief, tears , anxiety, anger , fear of war and complete helplessness watching people heroicly struggle to save lives in an almost hopeless situation. If people divert to bickering it is not because of a lack of caring.Not at all. I don't think there is anyone on this board that wouldn't be at the WTC right with them if they could. Well were not. That leaves people a lot of time to introspect and second guess. What is that saying "idle hands ....You, like every member here has just as much ability to turn the conversation. It might be far more satisfying than commenting on what others post through upset. Feel totally free to be contstructive.
Dickie Crickitts
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dickie Crickitts   Email Dickie Crickitts         Edit/Delete Post 
We are all angry and sad, and we all react and deal with it in different ways. But lets not try to throw bad feelings back and forth at each other. Channeling your anger in something postive is a better idea.

Moderator, thanks for letting people post their feeling on this tradedy. I am an artist that works at home everyday, so I hardly ever see the community that I work in. It's a comfort to come to this message board to read and talk to others about this whole thing. Its hard to sit in front of the t.v. and not be totally overwhelmed by the stories, the images, and the uncertain future. Thanks again for letting all of us post our thoughts on this subject.

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

Nice post by the way Brian.
gergley
IE # 200
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gergley   Email gergley         Edit/Delete Post 
"But lets not try to throw bad feelings back and forth at each other." --DC
yeah. being construcive is a good medicine right now. being destructive is only going to cause additional ills.
create something great.

John
Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to Brian,.I wouldnt want to have his
position as moderator right now.
After a much deserved rebuke from two members
of this board, both of whom I highly respect,
and due to Lightwave Dave's post urging the
members of Animation Nation to focus on what
we have done to help the victims of Tuesdays
terrorist attack, I have chosen to channel
my anger and sorrow towards a more positive
means of dealing with my feelings.
As have many others here have done, contrary
to what it's detractors may believe.

I realize that I am not one of you, but merely an outsider looking in, a fan of the
art form that is animation.
My opinion means very little insofar as those
of you who actually are involved in the
industry are concerned.
Nevertheless, I offer this for your consideration.
Why not set up a relief fund for the families
of those affected by the events of Sept.11
yourselves? A fund inwhich the members of
the animation industry, regardless of the
country they are from, contribute to the easing of the suffering of those who were
involved in this horrific incident.

Perhaps a charity auction featuring art work
from some of you guys,..the fans would eat it
up, heck, I know I would! The proceeds
to be donated to the diaster relief fund of
your choice.
choice.
These are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

~John.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee toonedbob. Don't know what to say. Guess I've been a real hardliner all this time about supressing the freedom of speech on this board. Hmmm... I see your sabatical away from this hateful place was pretty short lived.

Next time you're away for so long, take a bit of time to catch up with what's going on with the board as Mr. Brewster suggested before you start letting that finger of yours go wild again.

--------------------
 -

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave - First of all I think the obvious ways we can help is to give blood, donate what we can. Even as the intention of the board is to unite us as a community of animators, this tragedy should unite us to do more to help those who need it. I think the art auction idea is great, also offering to donate our services to organizations who are directly involved with the rescue efforts.

Charles - I think you aren't exactly seing where I am coming from. If you would like we can meet face to face or over the phone to discuss it without the confusion that writing sometimes has. Let me know where and when you would like to talk.

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

I think the art auction is a great idea as well.Possibley an ebay art auction. Not just art but posters or other art things you think might be sold to raise money. Pick where the money will go and set it up. Sounds great to me.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, toonedbob. I'm so busy right now that it's very difficult to get away, although that doesn't mean that we can't get together in the future.

Sorry if I misunderstood you or misinterpretted what you were getting at. I'm protective of the community. Friends with a lot of people whose faces I've never seen, including yourself. Hope you'll be sticking around.

--------------------
 -

toonedbob
IE # 45
Member # 422

Icon 14 posted      Profile for toonedbob   Email toonedbob         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Charles, thanks for the sentiment. once we are able to talk then you'll find out that we see pretty much eye to eye on these current issues. I apologize for my point being muddled. I was aiming my distress towards those who have at great lengths decided to wage an onslaught against the politics of our country as a somewhat twisted justification for what has happened. I just wanted to try to raise awareness that our passions right now need to be directed to the people and effort who are directly affected by this disaster. There will be plenty of time to get into the nitty gritty, but as a fellow patriot you can see why my focus is on are brothers and sisters at ground zero. I have friends and family there, luckily who came out of it unscathed. Their expression to me was not to give up hope and to do what we can for those still wandering and those who are suffering. As you and everyone on this board have strong emotions, so do I. The criminals will be taking care of as long as there is still breath in my lungs, I am just putting my primary focus on our fellow Americans who need us right now, which I felt in general deserve the best from all of us who wish to be known as Americans. Thanks and God bless.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012