my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » The Power of Words

Author Topic: The Power of Words
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Amid, I respectfully disagree. I think the President was sincere and I think he did a fine job of containing his emotions. If it was me, I'd have been sobbing like a baby. If he is to be commended on his performance, it's his composure that should be noted.

Pimp, there's nothing new under the sun. The points you make are well known to many Americans and played a big part in Bush senior not getting reelected and in other adjustments and reforms the American people initiate. Hooray for the red, white and blue.

Jon, sorry that you're upset with me about that little editing job. I still think the world of you so I hope you won't harbor any hard feelings towards me for too long.

To the agnostics on the board, please keep in mind that many people do not share your views about the nature, existence or non-existence of an all knowing divine spiritual entity.

To those who do believe in the Great Spirit, remember the definition that Jesus Christ gave. God is Love. And as long as there is Love in this world, then God is with us.

To the Americans on this board, indeed, to all freedom loving peoples, remember that freedom isn't free. When we pay the price of freedom, we lay our bodies down. May the victims of the attack upon our country rest in peace.

To the enemies of our nation, I'm glad I'm not you.

Words can be a weapon. Try not use this weapon against each other.

Light a candle at 7:00 this evening.

--------------------
 -

IP: Logged
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 4 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, brother.

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

AMID
IE # 43
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMID   Email AMID         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a message to "malcolmlee" since the topic that this should have been posted to is now closed:

Remember that being critical of somebody is different than accusing somebody of a serious crime in a public forum. What you have done is the latter, and this sort of criminal libel and slander can, and in this case may, be followed up by a civil suit.

Amid
http://www.AnimationBlast.com

LightwaveDave
Member # 225

Icon 14 posted      Profile for LightwaveDave   Email LightwaveDave         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen Charles.

People, if you have any compassion for the victims in need right now, give blood, donate to the Red Cross, and *please* come and tell us what you were able to do to help. Not to brag, not for self glory. To uplift and cleanse this incredibly foul road we find ourselves walking down this week, friends in an industry that's at risk, ripping at each other's throats.

I'll start and I hope someone, anyone will follow. We gave blood yesterday, and donated $100 to the Red Cross. Today we are going to go through the closets and take any decent usable clothes that displaced people can have down to the Salvation Army and hope they have some mechanism in place to get these things used.

Anybody else? Please?

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Amid, trust me, you don't want to get involved in a law suit. It's expensive, there's little to nothing to be gained from it, and everybody here has nothing but the highest respect and admiration for your magazine, your dedication to and love for the art and what you do to promote it's growth and celebration. You can always count on me being a regular advertiser.

Malcolmlee, we've had our differences before, which are a thing of the past as far as I'm concerned and which I hope are the same with you. My rage is as yours. I just don't want to surrender my mind to it. If I still had a taste for whiskey, I'd be having a shot there with you.

--------------------
 -

Animation Pimp
Member # 488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animation Pimp   Author's Homepage   Email Animation Pimp         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the points are well known, but regardless the difference between knowing and applying that knowledge is vast.
Nodah
Member # 611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nodah   Email Nodah         Edit/Delete Post 
To those who only want to talk about America's faults: a big 'whatever'.
We'll go on without you. And we'll win.
Everyone else, let your representatives know you support whatever military action they deem necessary. Also let them know that after winning the war, we also want to win the peace, something we did to the benefit of ourselves and our foes in WWII, and have failed to do since.
I'll be lighting my candle tonight, with my family around, praying for my countrymen and our leaders, but also for our foes, that God would work in their hearts, too.
Dave...I've given blood, and desperately wish I could do more.
Pimp, I apologize for my language directed at you. It was rage speaking, and I'm sorry it got the better of me. That doesn't change one bit of my argument, or how I feel about the the things you, and Amid have written.

Barks at Burglars
IE # 153
Member # 799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barks at Burglars   Email Barks at Burglars         Edit/Delete Post 
America was attacked because Bin Laden hates Americans. He's a madman with his own agenda, and he has people willing to commit suicide. That's why the U.S. was attacked. It could happen any place, if someone hates that place enough.

Oh, and Animation Pimp, those people that jumped from the windows were trying to save themselves...they were not taking their own lives. They died from the action of jumping, but they were not purposely killing themselves. They are not going to Hell.

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave is           Edit/Delete Post 
There is no more you could do Nodah. Believe me. That is definately enough. Today is a day of rememberance . I am there with you. Ours are outside on our balcony within sight so everyone passing can see. Passing cars are honking to let us know they are seeing. Flags are everywhere.
Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

We go to war with malice towards none, but to those who committed these barbarous acts.

I suggest that those that are not with the citizens of the free world in spirit get out of the way of the righteous anger of the American people.

Be strong, America and do not waiver in your resolve.

Be strong, Animation Nation. Comfort and support those around you.

--------------------
 -

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

To Amid, though I disagree with you on many things I apologize for the Malcoms anger. You kknow that he is hurt and looking for a place for that rage. Had the subject not been closed I would have said it in the thread, It is America and you have the right to your opinion for it's own sake and not as an issue of persecution. That is not an issue here nor will it ever be. We will continue to disagree but not on what is appropriate to post here. I'm sorry if this caused you any upset. You know I don't agree with it.
John
Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
Donated $200 through my bank, and gave more
at work.

malcolmlee
Member # 407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for malcolmlee   Email malcolmlee         Edit/Delete Post 
To Charles,cheers.
I have absolutley no ill will or bad feelings from any past discussions.I respect a bit of a rancourous debate but I do not harbor any grudges.I just want to be within community standards here,as well as sternly support the US and our president.
If I am mad at some one I either take swift action against them,or I squash it.(I was never mad).
Amid,let me be perfectly clear to you,how am I to know what nationality you are?By your recent post,I guess you are Iranian.I am assuming you are an American citizen.
Being an American citizen you have the right to bad mouth our way of life,and to use the deaths of not only my homeboys,but also thousands of other innocent citizens to support your treasonous idealogy.If the shoe fits...
You also have the right to take me to court,I defy you to find an American judge that will give you a favorable outcome because your feelings are hurt.You are smart enough to know it could have been worse than just words.
Your only chance is that I am a black AMERICAN,and you know how we do in court.
Either way,I'll take my chances here than anywhere eles on earth,let alone Iran.
Anyway,if you do take me to court,I will show up just to see you have to take the pledge of allegiance in a public forum,as well as put your hand on the bible,not the K*R*N!!!...and say it with a straight face.
(And no,this is not an assault against islam,
or our Mr. Amid,just terrorist period.)

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 9 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy Peter (who posts here occasionally) sent me this in an email tonight...not words,not a newspaper photo, but a powerful image, I thought.
http://www.bailbondsupplies.com/chris_only/home_page/home_p1.jpg

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

It is important to draw a line between someone who's critical opinion might seem at this time in bad taste and someone who is a supporter of these murders Malcom. Amids nationality/race is not a part of this. Freedom of speech is a very delicate act because it relies on you to keep a balance or it turns into accusation. I know you are mad. I was very upset myself at Amids comments but you must have more faith in people. He wasn't applauding the WTC . He was trying to give another view. Where ever Amids life is at this point is how he sees things. We might not agree with it but it doesn't rate the label "treasonous". Not at all. Try and give him at least that . By the way, if I ever had to go to war, I'm taking you with me as protection pal.
Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
America is in my opinion to some degree a democracy. And I would like to exercise my freedoms within that degree of liberty. So here goes...
The Bush presidency is a corporation. A brand with multinational investors. So has been just about all of our presidents since the industrial revolution. I hope that is not devastating news to some.
American political contribution is much like playing the market. You have got to know with horse to bet on. That's why poll are so important today. Brands need to be marketed with the utmost care. Especially when your brand is the amorphous sprit of a country that can have profound impact upon your investors. And polls are a political earnings report.
I think that the idea of "America" the brand was severely wounded and humiliated on Tues. and this could potentially scare off foreign investors and undermine the liquititdy Bush's domestic partners. Bush as the CEO of this company must prove it's security. A show of military force is a good strategy in my opinion.
The only thing is that this is the same strategy that motivated such a crisis in "America" the trademark.

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Part of the American trademark is Uncle Sam putting his foot up the ass of terrorist, dictator scum and their hell bent cronies who in this case, have murdered at least 5000 people in a single morning. Victims whose only crime is in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

--------------------
 -

Tobias A. Wolf
IE # 250
Member # 383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tobias A. Wolf   Email Tobias A. Wolf         Edit/Delete Post 
I consider myself an Artist and I don't want murder to be my trademark. I try to create good every day in the pursuit of beauty.

Capital follows astray from the soul.
And capital is humanities current incarnation of god.

I never saw destroy in the words, "Keep Creating".

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

That's right, Tobias. You're correct. Keep creating. It's more important now than it was a few days ago.

Without being facitious, I'd like to help create something. A world, society, you name it, where the kind of gutt wrenching disgust that I feel for evil people would go away along with the sows from hell who do nothing but create misery, no matter who they may be. A world where I wouldn't have to batter my emotions and psyche every day in preparation for conflict with those who've embraced the dark side.

--------------------
 -

LightwaveDave
Member # 225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightwaveDave   Email LightwaveDave         Edit/Delete Post 
Barks & John...thanks for adding some messages that try to uplift instead of simply flexing our rage and egos. Thanks for helping.
Nodah
Member # 611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nodah   Email Nodah         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that thru this, at least for a while, we can all identify ourselves and our neighbors as Americans, and drop whatever nationality/race we put in front of the hyphen.
I don't think I could put something in front of it: I'm an American mutt. Someday, if you're here now, your grandchildren and great-grandchildren may be too. That's the power of love. It's not as intense as hate, but it perseveres, and endures all things.

Jon
IE # 110
Member # 10

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon   Author's Homepage   Email Jon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18

"All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue ..." James 3:7-8

Would that I were as capable of taming my tongue - or my typing fingers - as you, Charles. Words are indeed powerful, and we need to be as careful choosing them as we would loading a gun.

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

I agree Jon. And one step further, learn to forgive when they are chosen in haste.
LightwaveDave
Member # 225

Icon 14 posted      Profile for LightwaveDave   Email LightwaveDave         Edit/Delete Post 
Nodah,
Kudos on giving blood. I've heard and read a lot of things this week. The predominate theme has been unity and generousity in the face of tragedy.
-Dave

Scott Ruggels
IE # 56
Member # 60

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Ruggels   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Ruggels         Edit/Delete Post 
Charles, you made me smile. I agree.with what you have said. We will do what we need to. TRo the others, especially pimp, telling us, that it is our fault i like blaming a rape victim for dressing like a slut.. in that she "wanted it". its the same sort of vile justifications that many people are spreading as a reason for this. The real reason, apparently is personal. It's not the time, nor is it appropriate to blame the victim in this case. On the other hand, some real information.

This written by a John Urie, from another board I frequent.:

Nobody
> seems to be able to supply any specifics. It's more like "The CIA supported
> and trained the Afghan Mujahadin, and Osama Bin Laden was part of the
> Mujahadin...THEREFORE the CIA must have trained Osama Bin Laden."
>
> This is what I have learned of Mr. Bin Laden's tenure in Afghanistan during
> rebellion against the Soviet Union. It comes from an article that appeared
> in the New York Times this past January 14th. It was written by Stephen
> Engleberg
>
> Osama Bin Laden was recruited into the Afghan conflict by a Jordanian
> expatriate named Abdullah Azzam, who had recently set up an organization in
> Islamabad, Pakistan called simply the Office of Services, whose function was
> to recruit and train non-Afghani Muslims to fight against the Soviets. Bin
> Laden became his finacial supporter and was also reponsible for handling
> miltitary affairs. Shortly thereafter the Office of Services transferred
> it's headquarters to the city of Peshaway, closer to the Afghan border. At
> no time during this period did Osama Bin Laden actually cross the border
> into Afghanistan. His talent lay not in fighting but in organizing, working
> best with small groups of recruits.
>
> Then, a fissure opened within the Office of Services. Osama Bin Laden began
> to be ardently courted by a group of radical Egyptians called the Egytian
> Islamic Jihad, ( One of whose key figures, Dr, Aymanal-Zawahiri is now
> reportedly a Bin Laden lieutenant ) This group believed that the Islamic
> revolution in Afghanistan should be expanded beyond the borders of the
> country. Abdullah Azzam bitterly disagreed, and in 1996, Bin Laden and the
> Egyptians split off from the Office of Services to found the Al-Qaeda.
> Despite this, Azzam and Bin Layden still remained friends. Their
> differences were tactical, not personal.
>
> In 1989, Abdullah Azzam was killed by a car bomb on his way to Friday
> prayers. What remained of the Office of Services was absorbed into the Al
> Qaeda. All of these events took place in Pakistan, not Afghanistan. Osama
> Bin Laden never actually set foot in that country until asfter the Soviet
> withdrawal...and at the time, Bin Laden had not yet developed the
> anti-American streak that would so color his later actions. His main
> interest then lay in having the Afghan Arabs, as they liked to call
> themselves, use the skills they had acquired in fighting the Soviets to
> instigate Islamic revolution in their home countries...( much in the manner
> of the Irish rebels who enlisted in the American Civil War so as to acquire
> training and tactics that could later be used against the British. ) Bin
> Laden's REAL hatred of America didn't ignite until the aftermath of
> Operation Desert Storm. The presence of Americans near the two holiest
> sites in Islam was apparently more than he could bear. In 1991 he left
> Afghanistan for Khartoum, Sudan. It would be another five years before he
> would return.
>
> So what is the point?
>
> Reading Michael Moore's statements on the subject and others, one gets the
> impression of Osama Bin Laden as a fire-breathing field operative,
> personally organizing terrorist attacks on the Soviet troops. He wasn't.
> Bin Laden was never involved in the actual fighting.

bronnie
IE # 93
Member # 25

Icon 14 posted      Profile for bronnie   Email bronnie         Edit/Delete Post 
This was forwarded to me in an email tonight.
True? Who knows? I hope so.
Maybe I'm the last to get this if it's been circulating,but I thought I'd share it anyway;kinda fits this topic.

The following is from a letter by a professional friend and her return
flight to D.C. this week.

"I just wanted to drop you all a note and let you know that I arrived safe
and sound into Dulles Airport tonight [9/15] at about 6:00. It was an
interesting flight.

No one was in line for the security check point when I got there so that
went fairly quickly, just x-ray of my bags and then a chemical test to be sure
nothing explosive was on them.
Then I waited 2 1/2 hours to board the plane. What happened after we boarded was interesting and thought I would share it with you.
The pilot/captain came on the loudspeaker after the doors were closed.
His speech went like this:
First I want to thank you for being brave enough to fly today. The doors are now closed and we have no help from the outside for any problems that might occur inside this plane. As you could tell when you checked in,the government has made some changes to increase security in the airports.
They have not, however, made any rules about what happens after those doors close. Until they do that, we have made our own rules and I want to share them with you. Once those doors close, we only have each other.
The security has taken care of a threat like guns with all of the increased scanning, etc. Then we have the supposed bomb. If you have a bomb, there is no need to tell me about it, or anyone else on this
plane; you are already in control. So, for this flight, there are no bombs
that exist on this plane.
Now, the threats that are left are things like plastics, wood, knives,
and other weapons that can be made or things like that which can be used
as weapons.
Here is our plan and our rules. If someone or several people stand up and
say they are hijacking this plane, I want you all to stand up together.
Then take whatever you have available to you and throw it at them.Throw it at their faces and heads so they will have to raise their hands to protect themselves.

The very best protection you have against knives are the pillows and blankets. Whoever is close to these people should then try to get a blanket over their head--then they won't be able to see. Once that is
done, get them down and keep them there. Do not let them up. I will then land the plane at the closest place and we WILL take care of them.
After all, there are usually only a few of them and we are 200+
strong!
We will not allow them to take over this plane.

I find it interesting that the US Constitution begins with the words
"We, the people"--that's who we are, THE people and we will not be defeated."
With that, the passengers on the plane all began to applaud, people had tears in their eyes, and we began the trip toward the runway.
The flight attendant then began the safety speech. One of the things she said is that we are all so busy and live our lives at such a fast pace. She asked that everyone turn to their neighbors on either side and introduce themselves, tell each other something about your families and
children, show pictures, whatever. She saidfor today, we consider you family. We will treat you as such and ask that you do the same with us."
Throughout the flight we learned that for the crew, this was their first
flight since Tuesday's tragedies. It was a day that everyone leaned on
each other and together everyone was stronger than any one person
alone.
It was quite an experience.
You can imagine the feeling when that plane touched down at Dulles and we
heard "welcome to Washington Dulles Airport, where the local time is 5:40".

Again, the cabin was filled with applause.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012