AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Any Thoughts on the Possibility of a "Roger Rabbit" sequel

Author Topic: Any Thoughts on the Possibility of a "Roger Rabbit" sequel
Eric R. Frazier
Member # 356

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric R. Frazier   Author's Homepage   Email Eric R. Frazier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone:

So, far I have three posts (is there an award for that around here?)

I am hoping this generates a bit of friendly commotion and discussion around the board. If you have ever seen "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" or worked on the film and are interested in the possibilities of a future sequel, please respond with your thoughts.

I have visted many sites (not all can be trusted fully, however) that say a particular sequek is being made as we speak, with a possible CG version of Roger. Other reports say the film is nothing but an idea that hasn't reahed the big screen, and may actually hit the direct-to video market.

In any case, what are your thoughts, character animators, layout guys, story people, etc? How would you like to see the lovable Valiant/Rabbit duo hit the silver screen for another wild ride in Ol' Benny?...

Regards,
Eric R. Frazier,16
(aspiring animator)
TX

IP: Logged
javier
Member # 347

Icon 12 posted      Profile for javier   Email javier         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Eric. Read here why there won't be a sequel any time soon:
http://www.mouseplanet.cin/jim/mar2800.htm

It seems that the original was a joint venture between Spielberg and Eisner, and the rights are tangled up. One side won't give in!

PonsonbyBritt
Member # 136

Icon 13 posted      Profile for PonsonbyBritt   Email PonsonbyBritt         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow Javier accidentally gave you a .cin instead of a .com! Here's the correct site location:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/jim/mar2800.htm

As an added note, I have heard "unofficially" that the "Bonkers Bobcat" character that had his own Disney TV show a few years back, was actually created in the hopes of replacing the hapless Roger Rabbit who was lost in legal limbo. As it was, Bonkers came off as a poor man's Roger Rabbit, not being particularly interesting to anyone.

I must admit, I never liked Roger Rabbit. I found him utterly annoying and not endearing in the least. The original design and persona created by Darrel Van Citters was much more interesting than the Richard Williams design of the final film. In hindsight, Van Citter's Roger actually looked more like a forerunner of Basil of Baker Street! (Historically, that wouldn't be the first time that a Disney rabbit would find himself reincarnated as a mouse). I recall Richard Williams describing how he designed Roger, saying that he took Br'er Rabbit's legs and abdomen, mixed in with Bugs Bunny's arms and Sylvester's head shape to construct the basic form. I'm afraid that the resulting design has always looked like the "Frankenstein monster" that he described, lacking unity of form. Add to that, the character's pupils floating around in the large bulbous eyes lacking focus, and you have a character that seems too spaced out and idiotic to be at all sympathetic. Frankly, I don't miss him. Neither do I miss that dubious partnership between Disney and Amblin. I was working on staff at Disney at the time, and that joint ownership led to tons of headaches and red tape, trying to get anything approved by all concerned parties.

Toonboy
Member # 203

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Toonboy   Email Toonboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would want a sequel to Roger Rabbit. The first one was just such a great piece of work, the second one would probably end up looking like Home Alone.
javier
Member # 347

Icon 4 posted      Profile for javier   Email javier         Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS...Thanks for the save, PonsonbyBritt!
Ernest_Rister
Member # 303

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ernest_Rister   Email Ernest_Rister         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't top pigs with pigs.

And you can't top WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT with more ROGER RABBIT. Sometimes our affections for a movie can become a bit zealous, and we wish for more, when wisdom and history should tell us that in trying to obtain more, we simply destroy that which we claim to love. Everyone can rattle off a good sequel or two, but the vast majority of sequels simply cheapen and do damage to their source.

So I'm more than content to look on ROGER RABBIT as a wonderful - if problematic - film, and value it for what it is. I do not want or wish for a sequel.

ROGER RABBIT was a wonderful gloss on Robert Towne's CHINATOWN.

Ever see its sequel, THE TWO JAKES?

Nuff said.

Toonboy
Member # 203

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Toonboy   Email Toonboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyways, we've got Monkeybone. Why do we need a Roger Rabbit sequel? Better to do variations on a theme than a continuation of a theme. If we needed a sequel, that means the first story didn't do a good job telling all that needs to be told.
Codrick
Member # 162

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Codrick           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to burst any bubbles, but I hope there is a Roger Rabbit sequel. The Pre-War idea sounds cool. It could be better than the original, like how both Tummy Trouble (essentially the same as the original) and Roller Coaster Rabbit (the best of all of them) was better than the opening of the original film (didn't care much for Trail Mix-Up--although it was really well done). I really did not like the film "Roger Rabbit." It's script was spotty, and didn't make any sense. Bob Hoskins was great, as usual, and some of the animation was good--a few scenes were great. But it never stopped moving, and the tone mattes made every character look like a cheap airbrushed t-shirt (why did they use BLACK for the tone mattes? DUMB idea!). Still, I wouldn't want to pick at the animation at all if the script or characters had been engaging. I saw it opening night, and several times since, and really WANT to like it, but it really doesn't make any sense. Certainly one of Zemeckis' weaker films.
Twedzel
IE # 102
Member # 122

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Twedzel   Email Twedzel         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to say, A 3d roger rabbit??? Blah!!! I really defeats the purpose.
Twedzel
IE # 102
Member # 122

Opps, meant to say It really defeats the purpose, not I...
Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
For all you Roger Rabbit fans, there have been at least two screenplays written for a sequel. I've read both and one outline. Don't think the film will ever happen. Disney and Speilberg can't come to terms on a deal. Some of the ideas had potential for a funny film, but Bob Zemeckis did not want to return as director. Without the original team on board I wouldn't have much hope for a good film. Oh, well.
pomgod
Member # 221

Icon 4 posted      Profile for pomgod   Email pomgod         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I don't know if WF Roger Rabbit is an outstanding movie, but I would definitely make an argument that it was/and is a solid springboard for estabblishing great CHARACTER animation in our feature sensibilities.....

One can argue...(that one, being me) that a sequel would not only afford animators the ability to ANIMATE, but it would be one of the few animated films that would require and demand excellent work from all involved. I would also argue that the film would have a great shot at being supported by the suits, backed by the suits, and even marketed. It is a huge opportunity for animation. We would be idiots not to put the wheel we invented...back on that rollercoaster.

The audience would come!!!!!!The money would follow. Jobs after that???? 2D character animation has a huge opportunity. I wish everyone could see this.
PG

AliasMoze
Member # 215

Icon 9 posted      Profile for AliasMoze   Email AliasMoze         Edit/Delete Post 
I see where you guys (up top) are coming from in thinking that Roger can be annoying.

However, I think RR is a fantastic movie. The story, though "borrowed", is still great. The comic premise is awesome, and the writing takes full advantage of it. Unlike many animated features, RR was FUNNY.

If they get a good script written, I hope they make a sequel before all the cartoon actors get too old.

manwang
Member # 163

Icon 9 posted      Profile for manwang   Email manwang         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wrestled with my own reaction to a follow up to RR. I do think it is a bit late. It would have been good to strike while the irons were hot. I would personally like to see new products get made. On the other hand, hearing rumors that Eric Goldberg might be in charge of the Animation perks up my ears!
Eric R. Frazier
Member # 356

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric R. Frazier   Author's Homepage   Email Eric R. Frazier         Edit/Delete Post 
Manwang, I have to agree,...it does seem a tad bit too late. Personally, I would very much care for a sequel to the Roger RAbbit film. There's no question that the story wouldn't be that great, but it'd be another sunny blend of character animation and live action.

I believe someone on the board also said it would fire up jobs possibly and engage traditional animators again. I have no idea if that would be true or not, but it sounds great.

It is interesting, Manwang, that you heard Eric Goldberg would be a possible directing character animator for the film. After doing the Fantasia 2000 and animating the Genie, he seems like the perfect "character" for the job.

Roger Rabbit.....that was a great film..alot of very talented people on that film....

-Eric R. Frazier,16
(animator-to-be)
TX
;< )

JATG
IE # 29
Member # 65

Icon 4 posted      Profile for JATG   Author's Homepage   Email JATG         Edit/Delete Post 
When I think of "Second Roger Rabbit," instead of a *sequel* I find I long more for a film that will jump start animation out of the dreary depths like the first one did.

Like the movie or hate you movie it's nigh impossible to deny what it did for animation.

JATG

PonsonbyBritt
Member # 136

Icon 7 posted      Profile for PonsonbyBritt   Email PonsonbyBritt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, JATG, I would also like to see another film that is like Roger Rabbit, without it being a sequel. The novelty of cartoon characters acting alongside real actors is one phenomenon I always enjoy seeing. I've enjoyed it in Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Pete's Dragon, and perhaps most of all in The Three Caballeros. Oh yes, and a little film called Song of the South that many of you may never have an opportunity to see, thanks to the current powers-that-be at Disney.

I know this was attempted once again in The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, but somehow it is not nearly so appealing in CGI as it is with traditional handdrawn animation. Actually, in retrospect, I guess Space Jam was meant to recapture the magic of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but I don't think it came close to hitting the mark (despite the fact that I consider Bugs to be a much more engaging personality than Roger...)

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its too late to have this sequel..I didnt like the film either...I saw it 3 times in the theatre and I still do get the film today.
Like Britt said..I too rather watch the better Disney films with the mix of live action and animation. Also I rather Jerry the Mouse swimming with Esther Williams..and Jerry dancing with Gene Kelly. Also Gene dancing with that animated girl in a musical from 1955. Cant think of the name of the film.

Yes with Space Jam, Rocky and Bullwinkle and now Monkey Bone..I think I'm getting alittle bored and maybe the rest of the world with these live action/animation films that have come out over the years. To try to get that audience that Roger got in the summer of 88?

pomgod
Member # 221

Icon 9 posted      Profile for pomgod   Email pomgod         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not into sequels of any type. I would just like to see another film with Roger,Jessica,Baby Herman and some of the other cartoon sensibilities from the original film. I would rather not see a mish-mash of characters and an "be everything" storyline. For some reason, when i think of another Roger Rabbit, I never consider the possibility of live-action being involved at all. I believe the characters could support their own animated feature without the live-action crutch. This is what I'm talking about: a completely different type of film using characters that the audience recognizes.

The characters may not be perfect (PbB), but they are recognized...and they undoubtedly have room for interpretation (I think many people are very unforgiving with regard to new interpretations of the Looney Tune characters). In todays climate, with nearly all material coming from television, this type (more Roger Rabbit)of artistic opportunity rarely presents itself. Obviously, it wouldn't fly with the suits (or the audience...i think) if we gave "feature quality" animation to a cheaply done television property. We've reached a point where Flash, limited,and/or cheap animation is the money crunching business plan ...and there is little we can do as individuals to change this swing. We can conceive it, but the money for it is slipping.

The Roger Rabbit shorts represent some of the best...(god forbid last) examples of full/sq&st character animation we have. It's a @@%&*#ing shame that we are losing the ability to create this type of work...especially when the money generated by features dictates the rest of the industry. I believe a Roger Rabbit feature could be just what the doctor ordered for all our damn tummy troubles. It's using what we have ...to save a dying genre of animation. Otherwise.....be prepared to animate zip lines and mouths for a while.

Eric R. Frazier
Member # 356

I appreciate the great responses that have been gathered relating to this issue of a Roger sequel (or the lack of one, rather).

I realized that I had not posted my acutal opinion of the first film. Not that any of your might particularly care, but I enjoyed the first film. I was only 4 when the film came out and it wasn't until years later that I actually saw and could relate somehow to the picture.

When I did see the film though, I was very impressed. As everyone already knows, this film went down in history. Since then, there has been a variety of "copycat" films like Space Jam and the up and coming "Monkey bone" (somebody please fill me in on that one). While these films are all entertaing to some degree or another, in my book, Roger and Eddie take the cake.

As for a sequel, the thought of it sounded nice, it sounded nice a few years back. I agree it is probably too late (I hate to admit it). The closest the film ever came to any type of "sequel" was the short film cartoons. These were quite effective by themselves and got the job done just fine.

I wouldn't mind seeing another future Roger short, though....

-Eric R. Frazier,16
(animator-to-be)
TX

Toonboy
Member # 203

I wish Disney would get a clue about Song of the South. It is a GREAT movie, and they know it. I only remember seeing it once. ONCE, damn them! When I was very young. I would also like to see So Dear to My Heart again.
Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric,
About MonkeyBone,,
Check out the website yourself or anyone else. www.monkeybone.com
Then you might not want to see it???
Sure at the age of 4..I think anyone at that age sees any animated film [good or bad??] would go wow...pretty colours...images that move and talk..

Twedzel
IE # 102
Member # 122

I'm with you that I really enjoy animation and live action mixed. I liked the concept of cool world, but violently disliked the execution. As for CGI done over with a toon shader... GAG... who do they think they are fooling? Toon shader's always seem to look cheap. When will people learn somethings are meant to be drawn and somethings are meant to be CGI.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012