AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Animalympics The Movie!

Author Topic: Animalympics The Movie!
VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 5 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
Animalympics. Has anyone ever heard of or seen it or worked on this film?

Where was it made, who did it and what are they doing since please post any known updates.

IP: Logged
Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
www.cartoonresearch.com

Try to see if Jerry has it on his site?

Winquist
Member # 173

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Winquist           Edit/Delete Post 
You can find it here and there on video(tape). Take a close look at the credits and you'll be surprised how many artists currently in high places worked on it. It's pretty awful, really...but did anyone ever see the great Nelvana "Easter Bunny" special? It was presented in the style of a Celebrity Roast, and had some REALLY fun animation. "Hup-cha, Hup-cha, quick like a bunny!"
Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen Easter Fever. It's been awhile seen I last saw it..But in 2nd animation at Sheridan..We had to animated the bunny and that sexy bunny for walk cycles. He/she were fun to animated...
Scott Ruggels
IE # 56
Member # 60

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Scott Ruggels   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Ruggels         Edit/Delete Post 
Animalympics was Animated by Steven (?)Lisberger studios. it's not that good, and drags a lot. Though it has a few moments. It has a cult following in some circles though. It came out as a special, to replace the boycotted 1980 Olympics on ABC. supposedly broadcast over two nights, one for summer, and one for winter.

Scott

PonsonbyBritt
Member # 136

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PonsonbyBritt   Email PonsonbyBritt         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a fair amount of cels from "Animalympics" up for bids on Ebay. Yeah, I recall it was pretty mediocre. These cels would seem to back up that opinion:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&query=animalympics&query2=animalympics&search_option=1&exclude=&category0=&minPrice=&maxPri ce=&ebaytag1code=0&st=0&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

(Hope that takes you there. Otherwise, just do a search for "Animalympics" on Ebay, yourself.)

Roadknight
Member # 227

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Roadknight   Email Roadknight         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee Scott. I actually have a copy of the movie. Didnt realize I was part of a cult.
LOL Its not bad.Cheesy in spots but not bad.
I surprised nobody brought up The Devil and Daniel Mouse and the earliest Nelavna stuff in same vein. Looked alot better ,design wise and flow,than some of their later stuff.
Course I was knee high to a grasshopper at the time,but Devil and Daniel Mouse still is a favorite of mine.

John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Icon 3 posted      Profile for John (Gian) Celestri   Email John (Gian) Celestri         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Winquist , Map, & Roadknight --

You guys are the first I've ever run across who remember those old Nelvana half hours. It warms my heart to hear you've favorable comments, 'cause (and here I go tooting my horn) I was a Directing Animator (or equivalent in those days) and a Sequence Director on all those old Nelvana TV specials.

------------------

Roadknight
Member # 227

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Roadknight   Email Roadknight         Edit/Delete Post 
KEWL! Nice to meet you then Celestri.Was a big fan of Nelvana's early stuff. manged to find copies of Cosmic Christmas,Rome-o & Julie-8,Dont Eat the Planet, and of course Devil and Daniel mouse.
Even found copy of feature length Rock & Rule and its behind the scenes comic book.

Havent been able to find EAster Fever or Take me Up to the Ballgame yet.

Nice stuff. Some of it reminds me of the first HEAVY METAL movie style(s). Rest was as said by Winquist and Map,Just fun stuff.

Anybody know why they dont show those Holiday Half hour specials on TV anymore but they are still showing the same Rankin/Bass specials time and again?

VixenDrawer
Member # 128

Icon 6 posted      Profile for VixenDrawer   Email VixenDrawer         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, I didn't think it was awful! In fact, some of the characterizations I liked. . .especially the turkey that sounded like Howard Cosell (Billy Crystal). And that little Russian(?) gymnast. Her sequence I could watch over and over again.
Scott Ruggels
IE # 56
Member # 60

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Scott Ruggels   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Ruggels         Edit/Delete Post 
The old Nevlana half hours were a big influence on my highschool art style 9as was garfield..go fig) and I liked "A Cosmic christmas, Rome-0 & Julie-8" They were very different from the usual HB stuff at the time, and while somewhat "simpler" graphically, they were cleaner, and usually animated more fully. Also at the time, you couldn't lose with an SF flavor :-)

Scott

Dave is
no longer a
Member # 13

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Dave is           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me add something to Gians comments. He went off to pursue other things but he is one of the few animators I consider up there with Baxter and Keane. During R&R he did some of the best animation ever. Feature animation suffered a huge loss when he stepped out of the spotlight. More than just dwell on the past I pine for what could have been.
John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Icon 6 posted      Profile for John (Gian) Celestri   Email John (Gian) Celestri         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave, thank you very much for the compliment -- you've got me blushing!

For those of you who have seen "A Cosmic Christmas", there were lots of times back then I doubted that picture would ever see the light of day. For example: Nelvana's production manager was so green that (when she discovered the money budgeted for the production had been all used up) she started running around the studio telling the animators to use the other side of the animation paper they'd already used for rough poses. AND THAT WAS FOR PENCIL TESTS THAT WERE BACKLIT WITH UP TO 6 LEVELS! CHEESH! A bunch of us "pros" had to put our collective feet down and say "enough of this silliness!"

Excuse me while I blow my nose and shed a tear for the good ol days ;-)

John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Icon 11 posted      Profile for John (Gian) Celestri   Email John (Gian) Celestri         Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS! About the green production manager on A COSMIC CHRISTMAS: I meant to say, "when she discovered the money budgeted for the ANIMATION PAPER had been all used up". The production still had some cash left in its budget.
But nonetheless, she still was in over her head.

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gian,
Well Thanks for the nice comments about me and the others talking about Nelvana first cartoons..So if you are reading this. I used to watch the cartoons on CBC in the late 70's and early 80's. I looked these cartoons when I was a young teenager...But if you look back at some of the other threads. There is one I post...."When I was a kid what animation...." I mention these Nelvana cartoons.
I told Charlie Bonifacio...the same thing about me watching these cartoons when I was a teenager....and also your name is written that Marvel Comic book on R&R...and I know it's rare. I saw it once back at my days at Sheridan.

I wish Cosmic Christmas was on tape with the other Nelvana cartoons....There is something about them. I still like "Take me up to the Ballgame"

And what character did Jian animated on R&R?

Thomas
IE # 19
Member # 101

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Map, I've seen Cosmic Christmas at the video store near my apt. So I know it exist out there in the public.

-Tom

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Thanks Thomas.....
Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Gian animated on that famous Star Wars Special? It was on TV only once in Nov 78..
Well it's on the web Now... www.blueharvest.net/video/misc/holidays-pec.rm

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Map   Author's Homepage   Email Map         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry that site didnt work.....
Try this one instead.. www.blueharvest.net/video

then click on orginal trilogy movie clips
Then you will fine the StarWars special..
I have heard Lucas wanted to burn it...

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

And this is just as rare as Animalympics film?
John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Icon 6 posted      Profile for John (Gian) Celestri   Email John (Gian) Celestri         Edit/Delete Post 
Map asked what characters I'd animated on Rock & Rule and if I'd worked on the Star Wars TV special.

Yes, I animated on the Star Wars TV special and did all of Bobba Fett the Bounty Hunter plus some other scenes here and there. It was really a rush job all around -- Nelvana had a short schedule to do it in (6 weeks for animation or something like that). We worked on the animation right after finishing Devil and Daniel Mouse. Things were pretty hush hush about what we were doing and what I didn't know until I saw the one and only telecast of the TV special was that our section was plugged into the show as an animated comic book.

On Rock & Rule, I animated all of Officer Quadhole, Mylar the club owner, and Cindy Schlepper (the rollerskating giantess).

Oh, and Dave? Map? What is Charlie Bonifacio is doing nowadays?

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Thanks Gian,
Charlie is animating on the Disney feature the Florida studio is doing. He was at the Disney Toronto studio for a few years when it was running up here.
I saw him at Slappy's workshop on storyboarding in October and he is still a perky fellow...

TW
Member # 34

Icon 12 posted      Profile for TW   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Animalympics I liked a lot when I was a kid.

I kinda recently rediscovered it a couple years ago, and I was amazed that some of the animation was pretty decent. I think a lot of the animation suffered by lousy cleanup; the scenes of the goat-guy and the lioness jogging together (straight on view, you know the one) moved really well, but when I saw a cel of it I was all 'Eww.'

Some other scenes I thought were well done were when the jogger's coaches were fighting over the gold medal. I don't know why, but that scene reminded me of the soccer-playing animals in "Bedknobs & Broomsticks".

I think a discus-throwing polar bear and a relay-racing tiger were done by the same animator as the scene above, I liked it.

Also some nice bits in the sword fight between the falcon and the boar. I used to watch that part over and over.

Oh yeah, and when the joggers first come into the stadium...the shot is nothing but an animated background, and the camera is moving from the perspective of an actual joging person? Damn, that was some fookin' impressive animation. If I had to draw that I'd go nuts!

The parts I did NOT like...did you notice that the daschund, alligator and a panther I think all looked the same? Someone needed to take a char design class...sheesh. All had the same head structure, with a funky looong snout.

As far as famous people working on it, I think the Kroyers...and Brad Bird.

I dunno about you guys, but I really think that older Nelvana stuff rocks. I just saw the Star Wars christmas special, the animated bit, and while some parts looked like they were on drugs (funky explosions) I really thought it was well done, in that whole Rock and Rule style.

Whoops, have to finish up here.

-TW

VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 14 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
Gian Your R&R animation RULES!

You just named three of the best animated characters from the film. CLAP CLAP CLAP (Take a bow)

VAN_Paulus
Member # 149

Icon 12 posted      Profile for VAN_Paulus   Email VAN_Paulus         Edit/Delete Post 
HEY FOLKS I reprint an e-mail with permission of its author
I thought it belong here as much as anything else:

>Hey Van!
>
>Killer that you asked about Animalympics. That movie was virtually lost
>as a 'piece-of-70's-ephemera/needle-in-a-haystack' kind of deal until
>the internet came. Man! This world wide web business leaves nothing
>sacred or shrouded in mystery anymore.....this has got to be the Holy
>Grail. Anyway, to make a short story even shorter, Animalympics was
>produced by Steven Lisberger (Tron fame....but what happened to this
>guy?) and Bill Kroyer in Boston and Venice, CA as a spoof on the
>olympics, but was relegated to the 'lost-show' gallows when Jimmy Carter
>boycotted the 1980 Olympics. (Personally, I think they should do away
>with the olympics as a means for nations to come together.) This was
>Lisberger's only cartoon project (he did it when he was in his
>mid-20's), and was looking to use the profits to finance TRON which he
>then turned to Walt Disney Co. when all else failed. He has been
>concentrating on CGI since. On a side note, the great Tom Sito and Brad
>Bird had worked on this too!!!
> As a cartoon, the movie was amazing and hyper-original! It's best
>when looked at in a dream-like state induced by oodles of THC rather
>than with some snobby critic's evaluation. The movie was in another
>world in and of itself and bore no similarity to anything else off the
>top of my head. It had some kind of epic nature that seemed to coincide
>with Heavy Metal, Secret of Nimh, Rock and Rule, etc. etc....
> As a metal fan, these are the vibes I had gotten, whether they're
>true or not.
> Hope this sums up your curiosity.
>
>Will see you soon.
>Aesthetically yours,

ASTCLOUD

John (Gian) Celestri
Member # 176

Thank you, Van_Paulus. I'm blushing again. I'm also a little sad that there hasn't been any project that I've worked on in the last 20 years with the type of characters that would allow me the opportunity to act with my pencil the way I was able to on R&R.

I'm just appreciative that the effort put into those characters is appreciated in some circles.

Hey, I gotta tell you that Dave swung a big pencil on Robin Budd's team animating Mok (the villain). So Dave, you take a bow yourself!

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

I just love these mini-history lessons of animated films from our childhood.. But I know of this film...But I have never seen
Animalympics.. Maybe one day??????

JATG
IE # 29
Member # 65

Icon 10 posted      Profile for JATG   Author's Homepage   Email JATG         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it at a "Furry Con," and I loved it. I thought it was wildly original and got myself a cel from it...
(It's a frame of the sea otter surfing on the wave created by the whale in the swimming competition.)
JATG

Map
IEcm
Member # 9

Some of us really like Rock and Rule Gian..
There is some really wonderful animation done in this film...

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012